IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Iowa politics , racism charges , racism issues , republicans , Steve King , white nationalism , white nationalists

Old 7th November 2018, 12:08 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Anybody care to defend Steve King?

Not the writer, but the Iowa GOP congressman who embraces white nationalist politics and has made many openly racist statements?
Give me a excuse why the GOP should tolerate a man like that,and even reward him with some co chair positions. I know every party has it's kooks, but King is of a particular disgusting variety. Embrace him, you embrace bigotry.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 12:29 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You mean have an Internet slapfight with you? Nah, I'll pass.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 12:35 PM   #3
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently the voters of Iowa thought they could...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 12:35 PM   #4
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He represents the majority of his district, it is just that the majority of his district is fine with being represented by a white supremacist. So at least he is in touch with Iowan white supremacy. As white supremacy is that popular in Iowa it is only reasonable that they would have a white supremacist as their representative.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 12:45 PM   #5
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Steve King, an overt racist, wins re-election and Republicans act offended when Dems think racism has found a comfy home in the GOP? Unbelievable.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 12:48 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Apparently the voters of Iowa thought they could...
The voters of one district in the state of Iowa.....let's not paint with too wide a brush.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 12:50 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Steve King, an overt racist, wins re-election and Republicans act offended when Dems think racism has found a comfy home in the GOP? Unbelievable.
I don't mind (though I don't agree with )his being a conservative on fiscal and other issues....it's his bigotry I cannot stand.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th November 2018, 01:01 PM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Devil's Advocate//

Compartmentalization. A lot of people have this weird idea that things like racism and bigotry are part of a person's personal life and "don't count" toward how well they do "their job."

It's like if you're a boss and you know one of your workers is a racist but he shows up on time and does his job.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 7th November 2018 at 01:07 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
//Devil's Advocate//

Compartmentalization. A lot of people have this weird idea that things like racism and bigotry are part of a person's personal life and "don't count" toward how well they do "they're job."

It's like if you're a boss and you know one of your workers is a racist but he shows up on time and does his job.
Not quite. If the job of that racist is to pass laws that affect the country, then the racism affects his job. Oh wait....I get it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:18 PM   #10
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
He represents the majority of his district, it is just that the majority of his district is fine with being represented by a white supremacist. So at least he is in touch with Iowan white supremacy. As white supremacy is that popular in Iowa it is only reasonable that they would have a white supremacist as their representative.
Which is all fine, but should the Republican party tolerate him representing that district as a Republican?
Old 7th November 2018, 01:21 PM   #11
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Which is all fine, but should the Republican party tolerate him representing that district as a Republican?
Apparently they have no control over it, considering that they couldn't stop an avowed Nazi from running as a Republican. Seems weird to me, but then again, so do many things about the American political system.

What the GOP could do and haven't done is to publicly rebuke King for his blatant white supremacy.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 7th November 2018 at 01:22 PM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:23 PM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah apparently we got ourselves into the situation that the one of the two controlling parties of a global superpower has lest control over who uses its IP than a Youtube channel.
Old 7th November 2018, 01:23 PM   #13
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
//Devil's Advocate//

Compartmentalization. A lot of people have this weird idea that things like racism and bigotry are part of a person's personal life and "don't count" toward how well they do "their job."

If his job is to set policies for how the company is run, punctuality and a good work ethic aren't enough.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:24 PM   #14
Mumbles
Philosopher

I'm sure he's a good match for the people of his district, and his view reflects their own.

...actually, I can't even say that. He barely won this time. Granted, he's been a completely obvious white supremacist the entire time he was in office, he's just a bit more vocal since Toupee Fiasco showed up.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 01:24 PM   #15
johnny karate

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's disturbing that you have the inclination to defend an overt racist.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 02:17 PM   #16
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
They can't stop him. They could run a candidate against him in the primaries, but ultimately it is the republican voters in that district who choose. They choose the white supremacist.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 02:18 PM   #17
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
But not exactly surprising.
Old 7th November 2018, 02:18 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think the deceased in this story would be a lot easier to defend then King:

http://www.startribune.com/dead-brot...eat/499940401/

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th November 2018, 02:25 PM   #19
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Not the writer, but the Iowa GOP congressman who embraces white nationalist politics and has made many openly racist statements?
Examples?
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 02:38 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just type COngressman Steve King Racist Remarks in a search engine and you will get all the proof you need,if you are serious.
But King's long history of racist remarks has gotten so much coverage that I can't believe you follow politics and and are not aware of them.
Sad to see you descend to the point of playing a silly game, though.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th November 2018, 02:58 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
You're misreading a contrarian inclination to oppose whatever hyperbolic thing I'm being told to do or believe.

You telling me that he's an overt racist is enough to make me think he's probably not that bad. But it's not enough to make me think I should bother researching him or defending him to you.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 03:00 PM   #22
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You're misreading a contrarian inclination to oppose whatever hyperbolic thing I'm being told to do or believe.

You telling me that he's an overt racist is enough to make me think he's probably not that bad. But it's not enough to make me think I should bother researching him or defending him to you.
You'd probably enjoy the research, though. The Holy War stuff would be right up your alley as a vet.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 03:03 PM   #23
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

His name sounds a lot like Stephen King.

That's all I got.
Old 7th November 2018, 03:04 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Just type COngressman Steve King Racist Remarks in a search engine and you will get all the proof you need,if you are serious.
But King's long history of racist remarks has gotten so much coverage that I can't believe you follow politics and and are not aware of them.
Sad to see you descend to the point of playing a silly game, though.
And there it is.

ETA:
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You'd probably enjoy the research, though. The Holy War stuff would be right up your alley as a vet.
Old 7th November 2018, 03:05 PM   #25
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

My thoughts exactly.

And I'm not about to go looking for "racist quotes" when the OP hasn't bothered to even take the time. This thread is recreational outrage at its finest.
Old 7th November 2018, 03:11 PM   #26
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

I typed in that exact phrase and found a few articles about claims he was racist, but no obvious, quick quotes. So, do your own homework if you want to string together an argument.

Contrarily, I found these on my first hit when typing "Joe Biden Racist remarks" into Google:

Quote:
You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking!
Quote:
I mean you’ve got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and nice-looking guy.
Old 7th November 2018, 03:18 PM   #27
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, unfortunately, it is a little. The Prestige has in the past, despite his very conservative views, and what some might well consider to be an overly lenient attitude toward objectionable behavior, condemned outright bigotry, as for example when he slammed Logger for one of his more outrageous comments. My impression has been that he's not a bigot himself, and one might have hoped for better.

I think a lot of the problem we're in right now comes down to that partisan viewpoint that whatever the opposition says must mean the opposite, and it's led to some people getting away with things that ultimately will hurt the cause of those who let the do it just for some idea of partisan solidarity.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 03:21 PM   #28
Mumbles
Philosopher

The thread seems to be furthering my theory that quite a few (usually white) people simply do not know what racism is, beyond perhaps MLK getting bitten by dogs and blasted with fire hoses.

I think the deceased in this story would be a lot easier to defend then King:

http://www.startribune.com/dead-brot...eat/499940401/
I think that's obvious. Again, I really don't see a problem with sex work in and of itself, while endorsing neo-nazis for governments is just asking for aggressive violence.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 03:25 PM   #29
baron

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
The thread seems to be furthering my theory that quite a few (usually white) people simply do not know what racism is
It's probably due to their pale, defective DNA.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 03:25 PM   #30
johnny karate

No one told you to do or believe anything.

Quote:
That flies right past contrarian and off the cliff into irrational and petulant.
Old 7th November 2018, 03:31 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Actually, unfortunately, it is a little. The Prestige has in the past, despite his very conservative views, and what some might well consider to be an overly lenient attitude toward objectionable behavior, condemned outright bigotry, as for example when he slammed Logger for one of his more outrageous comments. My impression has been that he's not a bigot himself, and one might have hoped for better.

I think a lot of the problem we're in right now comes down to that partisan viewpoint that whatever the opposition says must mean the opposite, and it's led to some people getting away with things that ultimately will hurt the cause of those who let the do it just for some idea of partisan solidarity.
Let's be clear: I'm not inclined to defend racism anywhere, any time. I have no idea if Steve King is as bad as dudalb says, if there's anything there that's defensible defend, if there's even anything there that needs defending.

I am, however, inclined to dismiss partisan hyperbole, and to dismiss claims from people whose body of work tends towards partisan hyperbole.
Old 7th November 2018, 03:31 PM   #32
The Shrike
Philosopher

His fake tan seems to have been applied pretty evenly? That's something, right?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 03:34 PM   #33
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
It's probably due to their pale, defective DNA.
More likely because they get a picture of slavery, then one of Jim Crow, then MLK saying something about being judged by the content of one's character, and that's the contrast.

Much like they were entirely unable to recognize the clear racism of birtherism, of Zimmerman's chasing after Martin, of the parade of white people calling the cops on black people doing perfectly ordinary things like sitting in a Starbucks, or of Dolt45's campaign announcement speech, they see no issue with King sliding his toe up to the edge of the whole White Genocide theory.

I'm sure a lot of people who voted for King would swear that he's not racist at all. He's obviously a white supremacist, though.
Old 7th November 2018, 03:45 PM   #34
Strawberry
Master Poster

This guy dabbles in European politics too, eg tweeting support for the likes of Victor Orban and Geert Wilders. He turned up at some rally in London not so long ago in support of far right thug Tommy Robinson.

I think he's a stupid *******. JMO.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 03:48 PM   #35
johnny karate

Let's be clear: I'm not inclined to defend racism anywhere, any time. I have no idea if Steve King is as bad as dudalb says, if there's anything there that's defensible defend, if there's even anything there that needs defending.

I am, however, inclined to dismiss partisan hyperbole, and to dismiss claims from people whose body of work tends towards partisan hyperbole.
You carry on as if you were forced to participate in this thread. You weren’t.

In other news, it’s good to see you’ve finally developed a distaste for partisan hyperbole.
Old 7th November 2018, 03:55 PM   #36
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

I think that's obvious. Again, I really don't see a problem with sex work in and of itself
Personally, me either.

However, it is hard to comprehend how the "party of family values" can defend it.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 04:34 PM   #37
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

If you didn't know if there was anything defensible or not, why make a comment that indicates the reason you're not going defend King is that it would be an internet slap fest?

The entire 'I'm not going to discuss this with you, but let me discuss discussing this with you' right from the second post is just weird.

This article links to many other articles about what King has said and done.

Some highlights: Retweeted white supremacists tweets expressing white supremacists ideas (not like not knowing it was a white supremacist because the tweet was about cat pictures or something), more than once.

Supported a white supremacist candidate for Toranto's mayor.

On a trip organized by a Holocaust memorial group to teach about Jewish and Holocaust history, he met with and was supportive of literal, honest to goodness neo-Nazis.

At that meeting he opined that diversity wasn't worth the cost, even factoring in Mexican food and Chinese food (not even joking). He also made the point that the ******* Neo-Nazis wouldn't be considered 'far-right' in the US like they are in Europe, and would fit right in with the Republican party.

You know, the very claim you've decried before when it's coming from progressives, or liberals, or Democrats, or former Republicans, or independents. So I doubt you do want to defend him. He really is awful in exactly the ways the OP asserts and ways you're not a fan of either.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 05:44 PM   #38
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Give me a excuse why the GOP should tolerate a man like that,and even reward him with some co chair positions. I know every party has it's kooks, but King is of a particular disgusting variety. Embrace him, you embrace bigotry.
Because what you call racism and white nationalism is literally someone in the current year attempting to represent the will of the founders, ALL previous generations of Americans and the interests of the actual intended citizenry of this nation.

The only alternative to being pro-white and white nationalist is to be:

1.) Anti-white
2.) Anti-American (literally, the country was founded as a white nationalist nation)
3.) Pro-invasion and pro-invaders
4.) In favor of whites losing political power and thus being at the mercy of groups which are actively being encouraged to hate our guts.

Ultimately, if people like you get your way, whites will be slaughtered at some point in the process (edit: and prior to that point, there will be a lot of ever-increasing legally enshrined moves to discriminate against whites, take property and wealth from them, etc.). It is NOT a good idea for any group to lose control over their space(s.) It does not tend to work out well for them.

Embrace him, you embrace bigotry.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 7th November 2018 at 05:46 PM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 05:49 PM   #39
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

I don't mind (though I don't agree with )his being a conservative on fiscal and other issues....it's his bigotry I cannot stand.
Well you and people with your mindset have conveniently defined "white people who don't actively hate their race and especially whites who make any attempt whatsoever to slow their dispossession or stick up for their group" as "bigots" and their worldview as "bigotry" and totally beyond the pale, morally reprehensible, etc.

So I guess when you've mind-boggled yourself to that point where you automatically see completely normal behavior as pure evil, you will find yourself frequently confused and angry.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 05:50 PM   #40
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

No. He's asking if you defend this man.

I'd like to know. Do you think that this is a good man to be in Congress?

I promise I won't even argue against you. Just express your opinion.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics