IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Iowa politics , racism charges , racism issues , republicans , Steve King , white nationalism , white nationalists

Old 15th January 2019, 05:01 PM   #361
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I wish there was no need to speculate. The nyt should release the audio.

I became suspicious as soon as I read the quote. "White supremacists" has had a pretty negative connotation ever since I can remember, which means about the early 70's. I find it hard to believe that any politician, even one as tone deaf as Steve king, could possibly ask that question. It didn't make sense. I started looking around for context. When I saw that no one, including the nyt, published the context, I became more suspicious. I then came up with the theory that the punctuation was wrong. When I saw King's statement, I decided to share my Great Thoughts here.
Would you lend more credence to the report if King was previously on record defending the term "white nationalist"? video here

It's just a few seconds long, but I don't think we're missing much context. I trust that you won't use his weasel words as a rebuttal.
Old 15th January 2019, 05:10 PM   #362
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Would you lend more credence to the report if King was previously on record defending the term "white nationalist"? video here

It's just a few seconds long, but I don't think we're missing much context. I trust that you won't use his weasel words as a rebuttal.
Oh, wow.

"I have no idea what that phrase means, but it wasn't a derogatory term a year or two ago."

No wonder stormfront celebrates him as one of their own.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 06:33 PM   #363
Meadmaker

Well, if anyone is sufficiently oblivious that they would make the remark that was attributed to him, it would be Steve King. He's not the brightest bulb in the set. Is it conceivable that he did not realize that the term "white supremacist" has always been a bad thing, at least since the end of legally mandated segregation? Given who we are talking about, it's possible.

However, it doesn't have the ring of truth to me. It's awkward phrasing. "White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization...." What? Those three things, in the same list? Who would put them there? Before he made his own comment on the subject, I also looked at his second sentence. He sat through classes...…. on what? White supremacy?

Are there people who would say that the advance of western civilization is proof of the superiority of the white race? Well......yeah. Are they elected to congress these days? That's a tougher question. They certainly are not if they admit that's how they think. Was he not aware that saying such a thing would ignite this firestorm? Does he have so little self control that he couldn't stop himself? It's possible, but there just seems something fishy.

My "fishy" feeling was amped way up when I saw lots and lots of articles that quoted those two sentences, and zero articles that quoted the sentence before it. Why not? When people write articles, they pick and choose the quotes that make their point the best. If the sentence before it had made the racism even more obvious, they would have used it. They had the column space.

Maybe the sentence before it was inconsequential, but I'd still like to hear what it was. Any time I hear such a bizarre statement as the one attributed to him, I wonder what the context was. In this case, I'm even going one step farther. I'm not suggesting that the quote was out of context. I'm suggesting that the quote was just plain wrong. I'm suggesting that if you were to read the sentence before the quote, it would not actually be a sentence, but only a sentence fragment. Even a transcript of the interview, not necessarily the audio, would probably reveal that.

Who can say? I cannot feel sorry for him, because all of the things he said before that have created an atmosphere where that quote seems plausible. If that quote were attributed to most politicians, Republican or Democrat, people would be saying that something wasn't right. With King, people don't find it too difficult to believe. Nevertheless, I would like to see the entire quote, preferably with audio.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 15th January 2019 at 06:53 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 06:45 PM   #364
Toontown
Philosopher

I"LL DEFEND HIM!! I AM BLOVIATOR MAN!

King is an unfortunate, mentally impaired man whose supporters are entirely responsible for having thrust him into public office, to the detriment of the poor man's best interest, his supporters' best interest, and the country's best interest.

These turds didn't give a rat's ass how much damage they've done to poor Mr. King or anyone else.

They just wanted to have fun. Cuz girlie-men just wanna have fun.
Old 15th January 2019, 06:54 PM   #365
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Ed Brayton has described him as "the dumbest man in Congress not named Louie Gohmert". And Gohmert as "the dumbest man in Congress not named Steve King".
Old 15th January 2019, 06:58 PM   #366
Elagabalus
Philosopher

...My "fishy" feeling was amped way up when I saw lots and lots of articles that quoted those two sentences, and zero articles that quoted the sentence before it. Why not? When people write articles, they pick and choose the quotes that make their point the best. If the sentence before it had made the racism even more obvious, they would have used it. They had the column space...

You think that you're the only guy here that can give us that Meadmaker fishy feeling?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 07:00 PM   #367
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if anyone is sufficiently oblivious that they would make the remark that was attributed to him, it would be Steve King. He's not the brightest bulb in the set. Is it conceivable that he did not realize that the term "white supremacist" has always been a bad thing, at least since the end of legally mandated segregation? Given who we are talking about, it's possible.
Or maybe he's of average intelligence and cultural education, and he just regularly sounds stupid, because he's lying and he's not great at it.

Quote:
Are there people who would say that the advance of western civilization is proof of the superiority of the white race? Well......yeah. Are they elected to congress these days? That's a tougher question. They certainly are not if they admit that's how they think.
What about someone who says:

Quote:
This whole ‘white people’ business, though, does get a little tired, Charlie. I mean, I’d ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you’re talking about? Where did any other sub-group of people contribute to civilization?
What does that mean?

Quote:
Maybe the sentence before it was inconsequential, but I'd still like to hear what it was.
I would, too, just to verify for 100% sure that the NYT is not in the quote-fabrication business.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 07:13 PM   #368
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, King has made no demand for the audio to be released. If it was taken out of context and/or the preceding sentence would reveal the true context, why not demand it be released? It reminds me of Trump saying his taxes would show that he's a billionaire but refusing to release them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 08:18 PM   #369
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It strains credulity to attribute this to obliviousness. He was called out on this 10 short weeks ago, by a significant Republican no less, and it was reported in the national news.
Originally Posted by Rep Steve Stivers
We must stand up against white supremacy and hate in all forms.
Quote:
However, it doesn't have the ring of truth to me. It's awkward phrasing. "White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization...." What? Those three things, in the same list? Who would put them there? Before he made his own comment on the subject, I also looked at his second sentence. He sat through classes...…. on what? White supremacy?
It's awkward phrasing no matter how we parse it. I'm at a loss to interpret it as anything other than justifying white supremacy with western civilization.

Quote:
Are there people who would say that the advance of western civilization is proof of the superiority of the white race?
I suspect so. I'll keep my eye open for examples.

Quote:
Well......yeah. Are they elected to congress these days?
Clearly! Never mind what King said the other day. They keep re-electing him despite his record. There was a Steve King **** storm during his 2018 campaign. (See above link.) And yet he was re-elected.

Last edited by varwoche; 15th January 2019 at 08:22 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 05:49 AM   #370
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Once again, King has made no demand for the audio to be released. If it was taken out of context and/or the preceding sentence would reveal the true context, why not demand it be released? It reminds me of Trump saying his taxes would show that he's a billionaire but refusing to release them.
Hey it shows he has learned, when he tried to distance himself from his statements in the past this way it didn't help.

So one mark against Meadmakers theory of him being to stupid to know better.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:09 AM   #371
Meadmaker

It strains credulity to attribute this to obliviousness. He was called out on this 10 short weeks ago,....

That's just the thing. It really does strain credulity to attribute it to obliviousness. How could anyone possibly be that stupid?

Well, if he isn't, what are we left with? Maybe he really wants people to know that he really is a white supremacist? If so, his previous denunciations of racism and his subsequent calling of white supremacy "evil" are....what? Carefully contrived machinations to keep people off guard?

If he was not oblivious to what he was saying at the time, he surely must have been oblivious to what the reaction would be. Surely he didn't expect demands for his resignation, from Republicans. Surely he didn't expect to be stripped of his committee assignments. And yet, this reaction was entirely predictable. It is perhaps more severe than I would have expected, but at the very least I would have expected strong condemnation, even from Republicans.

So we are left with a mass of contradictions. Either he is an incredible buffoon who has learned nothing from previous interactions, or he was trying some bizarre public relations ploy to advance racism, while denouncing it, making loud, bombastic condemnations, while sending out dog whistles to make sure people know that he thinks it's really ok.

Or, there's another possibility. He never said it in the first place.

The simplest explanation is that he really is that stupid, even though for that to be true he would have to be so stupid as to "strain credulity". Usually, that simple explanation is the one I would go with, strained credulity and all. He just seems pretty clueless. However, the fact that we aren't seeing the sentence before the one that is quoted endlessly makes me doubt.

We'll have to see how it plays out. Either way, he's pretty much toast as a politician. He can get two more years of a nice salary, with very few obligations and no need to worry about re-election, and a nice pension. He'll do a whole lot better than people who deserve a whole lot more.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:20 AM   #372
Meadmaker

Steve King says addresses the lack of a tape, and what he says the tape would show, if we could listen to it.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...on-bts-vpx.cnn
Old 16th January 2019, 06:31 AM   #373
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

That's just the thing. It really does strain credulity to attribute it to obliviousness. How could anyone possibly be that stupid?

Well, if he isn't, what are we left with? Maybe he really wants people to know that he really is a white supremacist? If so, his previous denunciations of racism and his subsequent calling of white supremacy "evil" are....what? Carefully contrived machinations to keep people off guard?

If he was not oblivious to what he was saying at the time, he surely must have been oblivious to what the reaction would be. Surely he didn't expect demands for his resignation, from Republicans. Surely he didn't expect to be stripped of his committee assignments. And yet, this reaction was entirely predictable. It is perhaps more severe than I would have expected, but at the very least I would have expected strong condemnation, even from Republicans.

So we are left with a mass of contradictions. Either he is an incredible buffoon who has learned nothing from previous interactions, or he was trying some bizarre public relations ploy to advance racism, while denouncing it, making loud, bombastic condemnations, while sending out dog whistles to make sure people know that he thinks it's really ok.

Or, there's another possibility. He never said it in the first place.

The simplest explanation is that he really is that stupid, even though for that to be true he would have to be so stupid as to "strain credulity". Usually, that simple explanation is the one I would go with, strained credulity and all. He just seems pretty clueless. However, the fact that we aren't seeing the sentence before the one that is quoted endlessly makes me doubt.

We'll have to see how it plays out. Either way, he's pretty much toast as a politician. He can get two more years of a nice salary, with very few obligations and no need to worry about re-election, and a nice pension. He'll do a whole lot better than people who deserve a whole lot more.
Wether or not he was quoted out of context this time does not remove all the other times he has promoted white supremacy through words and actions. Steve King is probably the one US congress-man one can point to and say "He's a racist" and it won't be endlessly denied by "conservatives".

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:40 AM   #374
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

<snip for brevity>
There are numerous incidents of King being marginally less "stupid". It's not all that extraordinary for him to be marginally more "stupid" this time.

I can't quite wrap my mind around his vote against himself, and the posturing that surrounded it.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:49 AM   #375
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"He can't be that bad because nobody could possibly be so stupid as to be that openly bad" is the excuse we're landing on?
Old 16th January 2019, 07:56 AM   #376
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"He can't be that bad because nobody could possibly be so stupid as to be that openly bad" is the excuse we're landing on?
Apparently.

Then again, this is a guy from Iowa who has a Confederate flag on his desk.

Are we really sure he can't be that stupid?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 08:05 AM   #377
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Apparently.

We elected a clueless, racist buffoon as President. I'm not having a hard time believing that a district in Iowa elected a clueless, racist buffoon as their Congressman.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 08:10 AM   #378
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

If so, his previous denunciations of racism and his subsequent calling of white supremacy "evil" are....what? Carefully contrived machinations to keep people off guard?
It's called lying. He's not very good at it, so it's nowhere near a carefully contrived machination. It's just him going "I'm not a racist! I think racism's evil!"

Quote:
If he was not oblivious to what he was saying at the time, he surely must have been oblivious to what the reaction would be.
He just lets these things fall out of his mouth sometimes and then claims to have never said it. He's just a typical liar.

Quote:
Either he is an incredible buffoon who has learned nothing from previous interactions, or he was trying some bizarre public relations ploy to advance racism, while denouncing it, making loud, bombastic condemnations, while sending out dog whistles to make sure people know that he thinks it's really ok.
Third option: He's a racist who lets stuff slip out and then tries to defend himself from the backlash with lying and pretending to be the opposite of that. His IQ is over 70, but he's no Machiavelli, either. Just a typical racist liar.
Old 16th January 2019, 08:13 AM   #379
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

There are numerous incidents of King being marginally less "stupid". It's not all that extraordinary for him to be marginally more "stupid" this time.
For the life of me, I can't see what's worse about this quote than the other ones.
Old 16th January 2019, 08:27 AM   #380
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Apparently.

False Dichotomy.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 10:27 AM   #381
Elagabalus
Philosopher

And the hill we're dying on!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 10:58 AM   #382
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Steve King says addresses the lack of a tape, and what he says the tape would show, if we could listen to it.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...on-bts-vpx.cnn
It’s deja vu all over again!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wee...ng%3f_amp=true
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 11:02 AM   #383
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Wether or not he was quoted out of context this time does not remove all the other times he has promoted white supremacy through words and actions. Steve King is probably the one US congress-man one can point to and say "He's a racist" and it won't be endlessly denied by "conservatives".
I do not understand this mentality that says we must assume the most charitable version of events in dealing with accusations of racism and dishonesty agaisnt people who have proven to be racist and dishonest.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 12:32 PM   #384
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Yep this shows how hard it is to know if Steve King really is a racist.
Old 16th January 2019, 12:50 PM   #385
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate
Perversely hilarious.

From the Weekly Standard article:
Originally Posted by Weekly Standard
King claimed our reporter lied. He didn’t. He claimed we didn’t have a recording. We do. He insisted we refused to release the audio. Untrue. It’s worth remembering these things as you evaluate the credibility of the claim from King—a man with a history of bigoted comments and a recent obsession with the “caravan” of immigrants traveling through Mexico to the United States—that he wasn’t talking about immigrants when he joked about “dirt” on its way to the U.S. from Mexico.
Old 16th January 2019, 02:08 PM   #386
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Are there people who would say that the advance of western civilization is proof of the superiority of the white race? Well......yeah. Are they elected to congress these days? That's a tougher question.
I suspect so. I'll keep my eye open for examples.
And whaddya know...
Originally Posted by Steve King, July 2016
Where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about? Where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization than Western civilization itself that's rooted in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and the United States of America and everyplace the footprint of Christianity settled the world.
(transcribed from TV)
Old 16th January 2019, 02:34 PM   #387
Mumbles
Philosopher

Still not seeing why this should be major.

THis was known for years, and as Bobby Rush pointed out, they refused to censure King.

More importantly, they refused to kick him out - although given the current GOP president, that's somewhat understandable. When your party's lead by a dimwitted and obviously corrupt white supremacist, it makes such a condemnation difficult, I guess. Still, I think it's worth pushing for.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:35 PM   #388
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Still not seeing why this should be major.

THis was known for years, and as Bobby Rush pointed out, they refused to censure King.

More importantly, they refused to kick him out - although given the current GOP president, that's somewhat understandable. When your party's lead by a dimwitted and obviously corrupt white supremacist, it makes such a condemnation difficult, I guess. Still, I think it's worth pushing for.
It's probably because this is a more systemic problem in the party than just King.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 07:48 PM   #389
Meadmaker

So, it would be fair to wonder why I care about this issue at all, and with some reluctance, I will address that. I do so with reluctance because this is not supposed to be about me, or about any individual. I have put forward a position that I think best explains the odd nature of the quote. It shouldn't matter what I think about any subject or what motivates me. The point should stand or fall, or be undetermined, regardless. However, some curiosity about the personal feelings associated with a position are understandable. While I fear that addressing it will actually escalate the personalization, I'll provide some insight.

Is it because I care about Steve King, or am concerned that he might be treated unfairly? Hell, no.

Is it because I care about Republicans in general? No.

What about politicians in general? That's getting a bit warmer.

In part, it's just a puzzlement to me. I like trying to get to the bottom of things. I've spent a lot of time in threads on things that are not very important just because it piqued my curiosity. That quote just sounded odd, and the circumstances deepened my suspicion. Can I find out more about it and see if I have detected something that other people have missed? I like obscure information and puzzling things out, but I must admit that that, all by itself, probably would not make me enter a thread.

There is a phenomenon in our society that disturbs me, and this event is an example of that phenomenon. It's "gotcha journalism". It's the tendency to make a big deal out of a single statement or event, and act like it's the all important center of attention for the fifteen minutes until the next event takes over. Someone makes a remark and suddenly, regardless of the significance of the remark, the pitchfork carriers are out in force. He must be fired, as a teacher, as a weatherman, as a congressman. He landed a spacecraft on a comet? Well, yeah, but look at the shirt!

I've participated in a lot of threads of that form over the years, almost always on the side of "It's not that big of a deal." Because of the nature of the complaints, that usually means I am taking the side of conservatives. Liberals are more likely to make that sort of complaint than conservatives are, but whether it's Rosanne Barr or The Dixie Chicks, I think they ought to be left alone. It's not that big of a deal.

This case isn't exactly like some of those other cases, because Steve King really is a congressman, and because of that, his views really matter. So, evidence of racism is something that ought to be brought to the attention of voters, and that includes "voters" in his caucus at the House of Representatives, who choose committee assignments and other roles. They pick from among themselves who will represent their party in certain positions, and what they say in public matters, so it's perfectly fair for them to say that they won't put Rep. King in any position at all. They can even call for him to step down if they wish. He was legally elected, so he gets to stay if he wants to, but that doesn't mean his fellow congressmen can't voice an opinion on what they want him to do.

Still, I worry about the idea that one statement is all that big of a deal. In King's case, this "one statement" is actually the most recent in a long line of statements, but I just worry that the "gotcha" tendencies can be way overblown. At the very least, when criticizing someone who has made an unfortunate comment, whether that was the only comment ever made, or whether he has long history like Steve King, we should be sure that we are at least accurate, and are not misrepresenting them as we assemble at the gates with the torches and pitchforks. In this case, I'm not absolutely certain that's the case. I'd just like to see what else was said during the interview.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:50 PM   #390
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Pointing out that someone has said a racist thing is not a "gotcha."

I'm pulling out all the stops trying to come up with a non-icky reason you've decided to defend this guy to this level and the well is starting go dry.
Old 16th January 2019, 08:04 PM   #391
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

<snip for brevity>
It wouldn't hurt if you acknowledged the evidence presented, in particular the same series of lies that he tried with the Weekly Standard. I'm not asking that it persuade you per se, but that it increase your confidence in NYT to some degree.
Old 16th January 2019, 08:19 PM   #392
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

So, it would be fair to wonder why I care about this issue at all, and with some reluctance, I will address that. I do so with reluctance because this is not supposed to be about me, or about any individual. I have put forward a position that I think best explains the odd nature of the quote. It shouldn't matter what I think about any subject or what motivates me. The point should stand or fall, or be undetermined, regardless. However, some curiosity about the personal feelings associated with a position are understandable. While I fear that addressing it will actually escalate the personalization, I'll provide some insight.

Is it because I care about Steve King, or am concerned that he might be treated unfairly? Hell, no.

Is it because I care about Republicans in general? No.

What about politicians in general? That's getting a bit warmer.

In part, it's just a puzzlement to me. I like trying to get to the bottom of things. I've spent a lot of time in threads on things that are not very important just because it piqued my curiosity. That quote just sounded odd, and the circumstances deepened my suspicion. Can I find out more about it and see if I have detected something that other people have missed? I like obscure information and puzzling things out, but I must admit that that, all by itself, probably would not make me enter a thread.

There is a phenomenon in our society that disturbs me, and this event is an example of that phenomenon. It's "gotcha journalism".
OMG, I first wasn't paying attention and thought it was Mumbles posting this and not Meadmaker. I was so confused for a second when I got to that last
sentence in that 2 sentence paragraph at the end! I wondered for a second if he was engaging in uncharacteristic parody!

LOL!
Old 16th January 2019, 08:23 PM   #393
Meadmaker

It wouldn't hurt if you acknowledged the evidence presented, in particular the same series of lies that he tried with the Weekly Standard. I'm not asking that it persuade you per se, but that it increase your confidence in NYT to some degree.
Sure. The fact that he has lied in the past isn't a point in his favor. On the other hand, I formed my opinion of the quote before I ever read a denial by King, so it wasn't really a factor for me, originally.

I'm glad you brought up one thing. Really, my comments in this thread really have a lot more to do with the New York Times than they do with Steve King.
Old 16th January 2019, 08:23 PM   #394
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

In the video of him talking about the quote to congress, he says he himself doesn't remember what he said, and the description of what he thought he said is just kind of racist blabbering, along the lines of this blabber-style:
https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/13/polit...ntv/index.html
Quote:
"You cannot rebuild your civilization with somebody else's babies. You've got to keep your birth rate up, and that you need to teach your children your values," King said, paraphrasing remarks he said he's delivered to audiences in Europe. "In doing so, you can grow your population, you can strengthen your culture, and you can strengthen your way of life."
And
Quote:
"Than, than Western civilization itself," King replied. "It's rooted in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the United States of America and every place where the footprint of Christianity settled the world. That's all of Western civilization."
Mexicans are western and Christian, but he still calls them dirt. He just does borderline incoherent racist rambling all the time.

Last edited by kellyb; 16th January 2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 16th January 2019, 08:25 PM   #395
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

nm
Old 16th January 2019, 08:28 PM   #396
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
...He just does borderline incoherent racist rambling all the time.
Indeed. As I've learned from this thread, he frequently strings together words in disjointed fashion, but still makes his point.
Old 17th January 2019, 04:45 AM   #397
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Pointing out that someone has said a racist thing is not a "gotcha."

I'm pulling out all the stops trying to come up with a non-icky reason you've decided to defend this guy to this level and the well is starting go dry.
Accurately reporting what republicans say is Gotcha journalism to him. Like pointing out when Trump is saying blatantly untrue things.
Old 18th January 2019, 09:37 AM   #398
carlitos
"más divertido"

At the very least, when criticizing someone who has made an unfortunate comment, whether that was the only comment ever made, or whether he has long history like Steve King, we should be sure that we are at least accurate, and are not misrepresenting them as we assemble at the gates with the torches and pitchforks. In this case, I'm not absolutely certain that's the case. I'd just like to see what else was said during the interview.
Thanks for posting this. I have a similar reluctance to judge, especially when statements like these fit with my confirmation bias, and I know that the confirmation bias filter at the NYT hasn't been historically effective.

I also play devil's advocate at times more to test my own skepticism than anything else.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2019, 10:00 AM   #399
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ed Brayton has described him as "the dumbest man in Congress not named Louie Gohmert". And Gohmert as "the dumbest man in Congress not named Steve King".
Representative Jason Smith (hillbilly white-trash racist pig, MO) deserves mention in that list.
Old 23rd January 2019, 06:18 PM   #400
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I can't quite wrap my mind around his vote against himself, and the posturing that surrounded it.
Problem is that you can't just ignore King's past history in evauluating what he meant by his most recent statement.
Of course, I think the argument we are discussing has become another silly exercise in semantics.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics