IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Iowa politics , racism charges , racism issues , republicans , Steve King , white nationalism , white nationalists

Old 10th November 2018, 08:11 AM   #121
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Your side has a literal racist Nazi elected to a position of government power and authority on it."
"Yeah but your side isn't arguing about it the right way"
Old 10th November 2018, 08:14 AM   #122
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Your side has a literal racist Nazi elected to a position of government power and authority on it."
Correct! We are now on the same side in politics in this case.
Old 10th November 2018, 08:37 AM   #123
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
It's the jaw-dropping ignorance involved in being a white nationalist in advanced nations that offends, as it requires effort to be that contrary to reason and evidence, also known as malice. This is the issue with King and company.
^This guy gets it.

I assume that your comments, too, will be ignored by the white supremacy sympathizers. There's plenty of ironic bluster about how mean it is for the liberal snowflakes to hurt their feelings by calling out their racism but where is the logical, evidence-based defense of their racist views? Heck, how about we first get some pushback to make the case that race is even a scientifically defensible concept?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 08:53 AM   #124
baron

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
This bit.

Whilst *technically* you haven't defended his views
Ah.

you have attacked criticism of his views, and from a self-acknowledged position of ignorance. That is getting pretty close to a distinction without a difference.
There you go. Even saying that I don't know about his views is enough to be called out and labelled.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 08:59 AM   #125
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Ah.

There you go. Even saying that I don't know about his views is enough to be called out and labelled.

Well yes, of course it is.

Intentional, willful ignorance is worth calling out in and of itself, especially when evidence has been spoon-fed to you. When that is coupled with criticizing those who have the knowledge you refuse to absorb, it is worth being called out as wrong, and labelled as many things.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 09:00 AM   #126
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Baron, explain what we should instead?
Old 10th November 2018, 09:03 AM   #127
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Ok...I wanted to hold my comments until I’d done my homework. I’ve done an exhaustive review of Mr. King’s publicly available comments over the years. I’ve looked especially for instances where perhaps he said something off the cuff and then later clarified his meaning. It would not be unusual for a politician’s comments to be exaggerated or their intent to be twisted.

That ************ racist. Like, straight up.

I’ve never been to Iowa and as a brown-skinned man, I hope I never have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for doing your due diligence. It isn't like this is even an edge case, as you found in your review. The pushback on calling out the problems caused by such a man having government office, and the willful ignoring of the man's view, is in and of itself problematic. It is though darkly amusing that the main counterpoint has been, 'I'm ignorant and that isn't a problem'.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 09:14 AM   #128
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Why prove it when you can just accuse him and make it stick? King isn't a person. No rule of honor or civility applies.
Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
I am against King and I am against you. But all 3 of us are humans and persons. Now figure out how I am against both of you.
Wait, I thought Craig4 was doing a Poe act.

I'm with Tommy if that is not the case.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:22 AM   #129
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Wait, I thought Craig4 was doing a Poe act.

I'm with Tommy if that is not the case.
If it was a Poe, I apologize.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:24 AM   #130
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

It's kind of funny in that the argument comes full circle back on itself that way.

"Some people make overly broad generalizations with the label 'racism', don't really examine individual claims, and use it to stop conversations, therefore I'm going to assume you all are using it wrong like everyone on the left, will not examine this individual claim, and will not discuss this with you on the assumption you're arguing in bad faith."

It's just...painfully silly. Some people do misapply accusations of racism, use it to stop examining why those ideas are wrong, and use it to 'write-off' people completely. That does not support the conclusion that King isn't a serious problem that should be talked about.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:25 AM   #131
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

If it was a Poe, I apologize.
Don't worry; I could be completely wrong. If I am, then my ignoring his posts in some other threads is much more an error than taking an argument at its face.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:28 AM   #132
baron

Well yes, of course it is. Intentional, willful ignorance is worth calling out in and of itself, especially when evidence has been spoon-fed to you.
A flatulent way of saying We've told you what to think and if don't immediately fall in line you're a racist.

When that is coupled with criticizing those who have the knowledge you refuse to absorb, it is worth being called out as wrong, and labelled as many things.
I haven't contested any of the views expressed about King's character, only the frothing, impermeable dynamics of the discussion, which you uphold admirably.

Baron, explain what we should instead?
I wouldn't dream of doing that. But what I will say is that threads like this are great for people who want to whine and feed off each other's outrage, not so great for any form of discussion and positively useless for propagating a logical argument that might change people's minds.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 09:31 AM   #133
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's kind of funny in that the argument comes full circle back on itself that way.
I mean this with all sincerity and I'd adore actual honest answers from people across the social and political spectrum.

When, and be honest, was the last time we; as a board, in politics, in the public sphere... had a discussion? When was the last time we had something that wasn't a self feeding discussion about the discussion?

Because I can't remember.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:38 AM   #134
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

A flatulent way of saying We've told you what to think and if don't immediately fall in line you're a racist.
No, it is not. You can't claim to be ignorant of his racism when evidence has been presented. At that point, it is willful ignorance. Racism requires willful ignorance sure, but not all willful ignorance is racism.

I did not accuse you of racism. jimbob did not accuse you or racism. Not every criticism of your arguments is an accusation of racism. You can't just hide behind 'you accused me of racism so you're wrong'.

Quote:
I haven't contested any of the views expressed about King's character, only the frothing, impermeable dynamics of the discussion, which you uphold admirably.

Your characterization is wrong and a flaccid handwave. The entire effect of all your arguments have been to disparage discussions of racism in politics, and especially those who advance examination of it, and run interference for people like King.

This is a worthy avenue of discussion. Your arguments writing off people being outraged that people like King, who espouse racist and frankly moronic arguments, as not being able to logically examine or argue is one of the mechanisms by which people like King retain political power. Arguing 'you're outraged, so you're wrong and incapable of discussion' is no different than logger posting 'triggered snowflake lol'.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:44 AM   #135
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I mean this with all sincerity and I'd adore actual honest answers from people across the social and political spectrum.

When, and be honest, was the last time we; as a board, in politics, in the public sphere... had a discussion? When was the last time we had something that wasn't a self feeding discussion about the discussion?

Because I can't remember.
I'm not quite that cynical yet, although the last two years has been a parade of disappointments watching people break. There are edge cases and smaller movements in every nearly every discussion. Now, they are more difficult to see with the higher polarization and people sort of unify into two broad sides, the discussions within those sides still happen.

And discussions don't get defined by how much people change their positions. Getting information on how and why someone you still disagree with things can have some utility.

I mean, at some level I could see how someone could criticize a thread like this as meaningless because of course King has displayed racism of a kind and level unfit to be a Denny's manager let alone being a representative, so who can disagree? Well, that people have, and have specifically taken the arguments they have, helps to hone arguments and gather data for the next time, when people who might be more open to actual discussion are around.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:50 AM   #136
baron

No, it is not. You can't claim to be ignorant of his racism when evidence has been presented. At that point, it is willful ignorance. Racism requires willful ignorance sure, but not all willful ignorance is racism.

I did not accuse you of racism. jimbob did not accuse you or racism. Not every criticism of your arguments is an accusation of racism. You can't just hide behind 'you accused me of racism so you're wrong'.

Your characterization is wrong and a flaccid handwave. The entire effect of all your arguments have been to disparage discussions of racism in politics, and especially those who advance examination of it, and run interference for people like King.

This is a worthy avenue of discussion. Your arguments writing off people being outraged that people like King, who espouse racist and frankly moronic arguments, as not being able to logically examine or argue is one of the mechanisms by which people like King retain political power. Arguing 'you're outraged, so you're wrong and incapable of discussion' is no different than logger posting 'triggered snowflake lol'.
No worries, you carry on then, under the delusion that you're 'having a discussion' when it's clear what you're doing is making an assertion and daring anybody to even debate it, let alone disagree. You haven't understood a single word I've said.

Still, I'm not one to be contrary, so here goes. Ahem...

Steve King is a racist!

OK, so that was great. To anybody else who wishes to join in this stimulating debate I urge you to copy and paste the above five words, with added invective if deemed necessary. In this way progress will be made.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:55 AM   #137
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

No worries, you carry on then, under the delusion that you're 'having a discussion' when it's clear what you're doing is making an assertion and daring anybody to even debate it, let alone disagree. You haven't understood a single word I've said.

Still, I'm not one to be contrary, so here goes. Ahem...

Steve King is a racist!

OK, so that was great. To anybody else who wishes to join in this stimulating debate I urge you to copy and paste the above five words, with added invective if deemed necessary. In this way progress will be made.

Does this mean you retract the claim that I accused you of being racist?

I have understood what you've said, that I disagree doesn't change that. The fact that your argument can be boiled down to 'I refuse to discuss this and anyone who claims to want to discuss this is lying' doesn't change that.

It's a sad fact that Tank has added more to this discussion than you have.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:00 AM   #138
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Pretty much my only regular exposure to politics is the discussions that go on in this forum. If you don't post it here, I'll probably never see it. And probably never care.

I don't need you to prove that King's made racist statements. I do think it's hilarious that you cannot even come up with an example of the thing this thread was supposedly created to discuss.

And the quoted passage is exactly what I mean when I talk about Internet slapfights. Even if King is, somehow, defensible, there's no point in trying to defend him here, because his detractors here aren't arguing in good faith anyway.
I’m ignorant and I choose to remain ignorant. Also, you guys suck.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 10:02 AM   #139
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It is always amazing when people who seem eager to jump in and dispute an issue then begin a line of questioning that implies they're unfamiliar with the most basic facts of the case.

Although I suspect there's as much chance they were looking for an opportunity to spring the ancient White proverb of "But how is that racist?"
My favorite part is when the guy admitting to not arguing in good faith accuses everyone else of not arguing in good faith.

Very Trumpian.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 10:05 AM   #140
johnny karate

I can't debate his views because I don't know them. And sure, before you say how I'm going against my own argument, I would research them and debate them if there was any serious wish by others to explore them honestly but unfortunately, like all other threads on political topics, the tone has been set from the beginning. I've fallen into that trap too often.
I’m ignorant and I choose to remain ignorant. Also, you guys suck.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:12 AM   #141
baron

Does this mean you retract the claim that I accused you of being racist?
That's not the claim I made. I stand by the claim I made.

I have understood what you've said, that I disagree doesn't change that. The fact that your argument can be boiled down to 'I refuse to discuss this and anyone who claims to want to discuss this is lying' doesn't change that.
Well, if you understand what I said then the only option here is that you're deliberately arguing a straw man.

It's a sad fact that Tank has added more to this discussion than you have.
Oh my sides! That's a joke, right? No, I actually agree with what you said, I mean the joke in you referring to a situation that perfectly illustrates my argument in order to back up your own. ST offers several on-topic posts and immediately he is effectively accused of supporting murder ("And your language about an "invasion" and "invaders" eerily echoes that of an individual who only days ago murdered several innocent people").

And this is the level of discussion you advocate. You haven't called me a racist, that's true, but you desperately want me to do anything other than vehemently condemn this King character so that situation may be remedied.

Last edited by baron; 10th November 2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:13 AM   #142
baron

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I’m ignorant and I choose to remain ignorant.
I'm sorry to hear that.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:18 AM   #143
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

I wouldn't dream of doing that. But what I will say is that threads like this are great for people who want to whine and feed off each other's outrage, not so great for any form of discussion and positively useless for propagating a logical argument that might change people's minds.
But you did... "...positively useless for propagating a logical argument that might change people's minds."
I don't believe in that. I believe in that you try to treat all person as follow:
"The inherent worth and dignity of every person".
You can't use logic on that. Either you believe in it or not.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:35 AM   #144
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

OK, but ask yourself this: Is it likely that anybody with white nationalist leanings reading this thread would say, "Hang on, this is interesting, I may have to rethink my views here"? No, they'll laugh and dig in, because it's the same old shallow, divisive rhetoric that's been done to death, the same old 'libtards' insulting swathes of people then puzzling about why nobody listens. Then the reader will remember the name of Steve King and go on YouTube and hear him lecture, and like many on the far right he's likely a powerful speaker (I'm guessing, I don't know him) and so the listener will be further persuaded by his arguments. In all honestly I simply cannot comprehend why people can't see this.

And I repeat, I'd never heard of Steve King before I read this thread and I know next to nothing about him now, but I've heard of many other hard right-wingers like Jared Taylor, and I can absolutely see why their following is taking off. And it has nothing to do with whether they're right.
While I don't share your concerns, I do think you make some good points along the way. Perhaps posting in this thread wasn't a great idea to begin with, when you distrust the motives and don't really wish to engage with the thread as defined by the OP.

As for your points above... When I try to think of ways to sway Steve King and Jared Taylor (or whatever racist nutbag) rationally, I come up empty. They've heard it all. They've rejected it all.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:42 AM   #145
baron

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
While I don't share your concerns, I do think you make some good points along the way. Perhaps posting in this thread wasn't a great idea to begin with, when you distrust the motives and don't really wish to engage with the thread as defined by the OP.
True, but in 12 years I can't recall posting in a thread and thinking it was a great idea

As for your points above... When I try to think of ways to sway Steve King and Jared Taylor (or whatever racist nutbag) rationally, I come up empty. They've heard it all. They've rejected it all.
I'm not sure about that. I'd not heard of Jared Taylor three months ago but I listened to a number of his lectures and interviews and found myself cringing at the inanity of the challenges put to him. Couple that with the fact he's actually intelligent and confident and is it any wonder people watch his videos and say hey, maybe there's something in what this guy says? I'm not saying I would come up on top in a debate but I'd sure give him a harder time than anybody else I've heard try.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:48 AM   #146
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

That's not the claim I made. I stand by the claim I made.
Oh, yes it is a claim you made.

Quote:
Well, if you understand what I said then the only option here is that you're deliberately arguing a straw man.
The above shows you're characterizing your own arguments. You do it below as well. Let me predict your response, 'you pointing out inconsistency in my argument just proves you don't want a discussion!'

Quote:
Oh my sides! That's a joke, right? No, I actually agree with what you said, I mean the joke in you referring to a situation that perfectly illustrates my argument in order to back up your own. ST offers several on-topic posts and immediately he is effectively accused of supporting murder ("And your language about an "invasion" and "invaders" eerily echoes that of an individual who only days ago murdered several innocent people").
Sadly, not a joke at all. ST offered white supremacists reasoning, and tried to argue where it was inconsistent with King's words (although that's not actually true), and this examines the reasoning. That advances discussion. Someone else points out some of the huge risks and problems with that reasoning, one of which being that it is an argument that is very often used to justify murder (it's actually an argument that inevitably leads to advocating for murder I'd argue). That advances the discussion because it is a legitimate concern with such views, and a problem that comes from people like King with political power advancing them. But here you are, using identifying the harms risked by ignoring (or supporting) the racism of people like King as support for ignoring the racism of people like King and even more than that, disparaging people who start discussions of it.

This is no different than arguing against AGW because the harms it causes are too great. It's like a twisted Appeal to Consequences. 'If supporting racism can predictably lead to justifying murder, then you can't call out supporting racism.'

Quote:
And this is the level of discussion you advocate. You haven't called me a racist, that's true, but you desperately want me to do anything other than vehemently condemn this King character so that situation may be remedied.
And here is where you mischaracterize your own arguments again. It's very strange to see you assert you've only vehemently condemned King.

I want you to take the discussion seriously. The meta discussion discussion is a tired handwave that I no longer let lie.
Old 10th November 2018, 11:09 AM   #147
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Intentional, willful ignorance is worth calling out in and of itself, especially when evidence has been spoon-fed to you. When that is coupled with criticizing those who have the knowledge you refuse to absorb, it is worth being called out as wrong, and labelled as many things.
100%. If you don't know enough about a person (or subject) to debate about them (or it), then don't join the discussion.

This reminds me of that old saying... "It is better to keep your mouth shut and have everyone think you're ignorant, than to open it and remove any doubt".

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 11:41 AM   #148
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Alternate ending:

“Ugh! What do those words even mean?!?
Old 10th November 2018, 11:53 AM   #149
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

This bit.
Ah.
Quote:

Whilst *technically* you haven't defended his views, you have attacked criticism of his views, and from a self-acknowledged position of ignorance. That is getting pretty close to a distinction without a difference.

Where did I label you?
I did call you out for attacking King's critics. The quoted exchange certainly looks like a defence of King. If you are being pedantic, it is actually attacking criticism of him - which as I said before is a distinction without a difference, and as I said below is also an inane defence in the specific case of King.

ETA: and for the hard of thinking, I called you out, not for ignorance of King's views but for proclaiming criticism of him as invalid whilst yourself being ignorant of his views

I since learned that you haven't actually looked into what King has said, so that renders your reflexive defence of him (seemingly merely because he'd been called a racist) even more inane.

Originally Posted by jimbob
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Nice to see people admitting racism is part of the right wing. Finally.
I'm so bored of that word. Once it meant something. Not any more.

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
When everyone is a racist, white supremacist, transhomophobe, misogynist, then no-one is.
If anyone was making that argument, then you'd have a point. However that is only in your imagination.

What is the world coming to when one can't proclaim white supremacy without being called a racist? It's political correctness gone mad.

I'm not one to quibble over semantics. What word do you propose we use to describe people who think their race is innately superior to other races?
Why do we need to use a word? That's rhetorical, I know the answer, it's so we can dismiss somebody without bothering to argue against their views. It's not just that the word 'racist' is routinely flopped out as a blanket condemnation, but also that the implications are apparently absolute. A racist's ideas aren't worth discussing. Whatever they do is evil and they, as a person, are filth. The objective is not to challenge and debate but to get a label to stick, whether it's to a person, a group, a political party or 30% of a country's population. Just look at the OP. The ideas of this King character are irrelevant, we just want people to try and defend the scumbag, then they can be called racist and dismissed in turn. Because that's an internet win. It's so pathetic.
Now that is remarkably inane in the context of King.

He supports proponents of the White Genocide theory. He is a racist and supporter of neo Nazis and of parties founded by actual SS members. He believes that there is a White Genocide that has to be stopped. And this is what he considers acceptable to say in public.

Since then you have subsequently said that you don't know King's views.

That really is worth calling out on. You don't get a free pass to defend someone you have no knowledge about.

If I said that Ion Antonescu was a genocidal fascist, you can't assume that is hyperbole

Or this - with the highlighted part.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 10th November 2018 at 11:57 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 12:05 PM   #150
johnny karate

I'm sorry to hear that.
Sick burn, bro.

Meanwhile, this is you on a subject you can’t seem to shut up about:
I can't debate his views because I don't know them.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:10 PM   #151
johnny karate

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
100%. If you don't know enough about a person (or subject) to debate about them (or it), then don't join the discussion.

This reminds me of that old saying... "It is better to keep your mouth shut and have everyone think you're ignorant, than to open it and remove any doubt".
It’s bizarre that multiple people felt the need to take part in this thread while admitting they know nothing about the subject and proudly proclaiming they refused to learn anything.

I didn’t realize that conservatives were so easily triggered.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:16 PM   #152
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
It’s bizarre that multiple people felt the need to take part in this thread while admitting they know nothing about the subject and proudly proclaiming they refused to learn anything.

I didn’t realize that conservatives were so easily triggered.
Right wingers have been forced to train up a sharp reactionary reflex that is triggered in almost every thread. It's really the only way to face the constant barrage of stupidities and atrocities their fellow right wingers bestow on the world without having to consider the idea that maybe their ideology is bad.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 12:21 PM   #153
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Alternate ending:

“Ugh! What do those words even mean?!?
I've ranted before about how the primary reason (out of many) that argumentatives on the internet are all functionally broken is that at some point the official state sponsored religion of the internet became pedantics, with language pedantics the largest denomination, and "Pretending I simply just can't understand what people are saying as a delaying and stalling tactic" becoming Sunday Mass.

One shouldn't be treated like the bum in town square yelling at pigeons for saying "You know it used to be people could get together and have a conversation without pretending we had to stop and rebuild the entire language from scratch."

But no, I'm crazy Ralph from the Friday the 13th movies:

*As I'm lead back to the home* "No I'm serious. We used to go into discussions already agreed on the language and actually talked about the thing we were talking about, not about the discussion about the thing we were talking about."

"Sure Grandpa, whatever you say." *Twirls finger next to head.*
Old 10th November 2018, 12:26 PM   #154
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

BTW not for nothing but this embedded meta-thread is about 5 times longer than Steve King's Wikipedia page.

Anyone here could have read Steve King's Wikipedia Page for context, his official US House page, a good half dozen articles about him from all sides to form an opinion, and a Stephen King the horror writer short story to cleanse your pallet in the time they've been complaining about people not spoon feeding them context they already know.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 10th November 2018 at 01:23 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 01:21 PM   #155
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

BTW not for nothing but this embedded meta-thread is about 5 times longer than Steve King's Wikipedia page.

Anyone here could have read Steve King's Wikipedia Page for context, his official US House page, a good half dozen articles about him from all sides to form an opinion, and a Stephen King the horror write short story to cleanse your pallet in the time they've been complaining about people not spoon feeding them context they already know.
OK that's hilarious.

Carry on folks.
Old 10th November 2018, 02:28 PM   #156
autumn1971
Illuminator

Okay, just for the sake of discussion, I will attemp to defend King.

Is it possible that his racist views do not affect his service in the legislature? In his case my guess is no, his official actions and words speak loudly against that, but could one elect a racist if they were confident that the racism stayed away from official acts? There are plenty of devoutly religious people in government who don’t let their sincere beliefs interfere with their work.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 03:36 PM   #157
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Not the writer, but the Iowa GOP congressman who embraces white nationalist politics and has made many openly racist statements?
Give me a excuse why the GOP should tolerate a man like that,and even reward him with some co chair positions. I know every party has it's kooks, but King is of a particular disgusting variety. Embrace him, you embrace bigotry.
He probably supports Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state so, yeah, he's definitely a nationalist. But what has said that's racist? He doesn't talk about black people the way black people talk about White people, does he?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 04:44 PM   #158
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

This is what I mean. Instead of challenging his views we're invited to entirely dismiss him and everything he stands for and everything with which he is associated in one fell swoop.
That's because the idea of a plot to genocide all white people on Earth is so ridiculous that it is both unnecessary and self-defeating to waste time treating it as a valid "view".

If a man is standing on top of a four-story platform proclaiming that he can jump off and fly away like a bird, you don't sit there and say "well let's hear this fellow out and give his worldview fair and earnest consideration, and challenge it with a healthy academic debate if we disagree"; you send police or paramedics up there to tackle him and bring him down to the ground, sedated for transport if necessary.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 06:02 PM   #159
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Off topic, but is there any word stupider than cuck?
Thank you.
Old 10th November 2018, 06:59 PM   #160
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The Weekly Standard has hoisted King by his own racist petard.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics