IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bush v. Gore , judicial activism , political gaffes , republicans , Roper v. Simmons , supreme court decisions , tom delay

Old 17th May 2010, 12:52 PM   #41
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

BTW, what was the final tally?

Majority: Kennedy, Stevens, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Roberts, Breyer

Dissent: Thomas, Scalia, Alito
Old 17th May 2010, 01:24 PM   #42
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Alferd_Packer View Post
Majority: Kennedy, Stevens, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Roberts, Breyer

Dissent: Thomas, Scalia, Alito
I'm curious, what are some of the cases where Thomas and Scalia ruled differently?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2010, 11:59 PM   #43
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'm curious, what are some of the cases where Thomas and Scalia ruled differently?
Recently Alito was all alone in supporting a law prohibiting distribution of depictions of animal cruelty.

ETA: Oops, you were only asking about Thomas and Scalia.

I think you'll have to Google that because I don't know.

Last edited by Puppycow; 18th May 2010 at 12:01 AM.
Puppycow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2010, 06:55 AM   #44
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Recently Alito was all alone in supporting a law prohibiting distribution of depictions of animal cruelty.

ETA: Oops, you were only asking about Thomas and Scalia.

I think you'll have to Google that because I don't know.
A couple of years ago, someone posted here some statistics that presumed to show that the concordance between Thomas and Scalia was no bigger than between Thomas and someone like Souter or something like that. I have a hard time believing that, but I know these types of stats are certainly tracked. However, I wonder if that was a hair-splitting analysis, where it said they went different if even though they gave the same ruling, they used different analysis to derive their result? I can believe that Thomas often has different justification from Scalia (Thomas never met a precedent he couldn't overturn), but nonetheless, they coincidentally always come to the same conclusion...
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2010, 07:08 AM   #45
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Here's one.
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
In a case decided just yesterday, New Jersey vs. Delaware, Justice Thomas was the deciding vote, and he did not join with Justice Scalia, who dissented.

The case was an interesting one, because it involved two neighboring states in an ongoing border feud, and the case was brought to the Supreme Court directly (not through appeal). In this particular case, Delaware thought that New Jersey was trying to build a facility in the Delaware River next to its territory, and the facility that might be hazardous. Apparently emotions ran high, and there were concerns about one state invading another.
Although this was posted in an April Fools thread, the case is quite real ... and quite strange.

As I've mentioned in the past, Justices Scalia and Thomas almost always vote together on issues pertaining to civil liberites and the Bill of Rights... but they do not alsways agree on a rationale. Thomas, for example, took an absurd view that the very first right in the Bill of Rights is not an individual right at all but is actually a right of the States. Thus, if a State establishes an official religion, citizens have no legal cause to gripe. Justice Stevens ridiculed the proposal and no other Justice, not even Scalia, would defend it.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2010, 07:13 AM   #46
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by LostAngeles View Post
That's it.

There will be a bake sale this weekend. Hopefully we can raise enough money to make Tom DeLay a nice big cup of SHUT. THE. F%$#. UP.
Here's one for free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim_stfu-big.jpg (32.7 KB, 1 views)

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2010, 10:02 AM   #47
Cobalt
Tobikan Judan

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics