IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 08:38 AM   #81
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Comey confirms there is an FBI investigation into Russian influence into the election and possible connections with Trump associates.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:00 AM   #82
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

FBI Director Comey on Russia: "They wanted to hurt our democracy, hurt her, help him."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:14 AM   #83
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Keep it coming, Stacko. I had to turn off CNN because of all the GOP harping on the other witch hunt they have in mind. I wonder what is the greater crime, leaking, or waiting until the new Director of National Intelligence and others on the incoming team make sure it is swept under the rug?
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:17 AM   #84
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Keep it coming, Stacko. I had to turn off CNN because of all the GOP harping on the other witch hunt they have in mind. I wonder what is the greater crime, leaking, or waiting until the new Director of National Intelligence and others on the incoming team make sure it is swept under the rug?
Trey Gowdie should probably be more careful about calling for witch hunts he might get caught up in.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:25 AM   #85
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Good grief. Comey had to explain to Rep. Conaway that when one person wins an election, the other loses.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:36 AM   #86
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Sure but I think I can see what he was trying to get at. Were the Russians getting involved solely because they wanted Hillary to lose (i.e. the were implacably opposed to her for some reason, like they couldn't bear that someone who was a little careless with their emails was in the White House ) and would have been happy to see any Republican in the White House instead or were they getting involved in order that Donald Trump was going to be elected.

Of course, if the interference came after the primaries then it's a difference without distinction unless anyone seriously thinks that a third party candidate would have won.

Personally if I was a US citizen, I think a candidate that Putin doesn't like is a good thing YMMV.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 09:43 AM   #87
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

How has no Dem asked, "Why did Comey confirm Clinton probe but not Trump probe pre-election?" Almost makes you feel sorry for the fools that wanted insurance for everybody and worried about a POTUS under FBI investigation
Old 20th March 2017, 09:47 AM   #88
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Sure but I think I can see what he was trying to get at. Were the Russians getting involved solely because they wanted Hillary to lose (i.e. the were implacably opposed to her for some reason, like they couldn't bear that someone who was a little careless with their emails was in the White House ) and would have been happy to see any Republican in the White House instead or were they getting involved in order that Donald Trump was going to be elected.

Of course, if the interference came after the primaries then it's a difference without distinction unless anyone seriously thinks that a third party candidate would have won.

Personally if I was a US citizen, I think a candidate that Putin doesn't like is a good thing YMMV.
The reasons are purportedly because (1) as SoS she said unflattering things about Putin and pursued policies he didn't like and (2) Nato expansion under Bill Clinton.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:51 AM   #89
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The reasons are purportedly because (1) as SoS she said unflattering things about Putin and pursued policies he didn't like and (2) Nato expansion under Bill Clinton.
(3) Continued and strengthened sanctions against Russia

Let's not forget: Trump asked Russia to hack Clinton on live television, said they'd be "rewarded" and after floated sanctions relief.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:55 AM   #90
Distracted1
Philosopher

There is a distinction.

When many of the protests erupted after the Trumpsters' election, I recall a lot of derision towards the protesters as " upset because their candidate lost ". I usually retorted that that was a mis-characterization of the sentiment. The protesters were angry that Trump was elected, not that Hillary was not. Had a third party candidate won instead of Trump, the protesters (Hillary supporters or otherwise) would not have been out in such numbers.

Last edited by Distracted1; 20th March 2017 at 10:07 AM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:09 AM   #91
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

And there's the foreboding warning, "They'll be back." Comey says Russia will view 2016 intervention as successful.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:22 AM   #92
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
There is a distinction.

When many of the protests erupted after the Trumpsters' election, I recall a lot of derision towards the protesters as " upset because their candidate lost ". I usually retorted that that was a mis-characterization of the sentiment. The protesters were angry that Trump was elected, not that Hillary was not. Had a third party candidate won instead of Trump, the protesters (Hillary supporters or otherwise) would not have been out in such numbers.
You can pretend a third party can win all you want but America elections are effectively a contest between two parties at present. I doubt Russia gave any thought to anyone winning other than Hillary or Donald.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:25 AM   #93
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

And there's the foreboding warning, "They'll be back." Comey says Russia will view 2016 intervention as successful.
Chilling.

I'm back on, using YouTube. The chat is scary as hell. As for right now, Comey is having to treat them as children. Get a load of that guy behind Windstrup.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:30 AM   #94
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The Republicans obsession about leaking right now:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 20th March 2017, 10:35 AM   #95
Belz...
Fiend God

Is Fox News getting jealous of Breitbart's access?

Sorry all I can see is legs.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:37 AM   #96
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Stewart: "What can I do and not do?" How about, gosh, not break the law?
Old 20th March 2017, 10:37 AM   #97
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
There are way too many connections between Trump and his administration and the Russians for this to be coincidence.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:38 AM   #98
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Sorry all I can see is legs.
Calm down, have some syrup.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:39 AM   #99
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Stewart: "What can I do and not do?" How about, gosh, not break the law?
His whole line of questioning was dumb.

Stewart, "Will you confirm this news story?"

Comey, "No."

Comey, "No."

Comey, "No."

Repeat ad nauseam.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:41 AM   #100
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

There are way too many connections between Trump and his administration and the Russians for this to be coincidence.
I wouldn't want to be Roger Stone or Paul Manafort right now.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:41 AM   #101
Jules Galen
Banned

Try reading this for some perspective:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...-media-w471074

Hope it helps.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 10:44 AM   #102
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

How has no Dem asked, "Why did Comey confirm Clinton probe but not Trump probe pre-election?" Almost makes you feel sorry for the fools that wanted insurance for everybody and worried about a POTUS under FBI investigation
Also, they should ask about the pee pee tape. It would be fun to have a clip of Comey refusing to confirm or deny if it's real.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:03 AM   #103
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

His whole line of questioning was dumb.

Comey, "No."

Comey, "No."

Comey, "No."

Repeat ad nauseam.
And now it's Adam Schiff's turn.

Schiff, "Will you confirm that Trump is under investigation?"

Comey, "No."

Comey, "No."

Comey, "No."

Repeat ad nauseam.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:07 AM   #104
Jules Galen
Banned

So many accusations. Not one fact.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 11:12 AM   #105
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Comey won't comment, unless it's HC two weeks before the election. So, that "no smear" rule is itself smeared.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:12 AM   #106
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

This tweet aged well.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:13 AM   #107
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Comey won't comment, unless it's HC two weeks before the election. So, that "no smear" rule is itself smeared.
After all the, "Lock her up," chants, it's funny to hear Republicans bringing up that being under investigation is not the same as being guilty.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:19 AM   #108
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Guy talking now is doing his best to confuse the baseline level of Russian interference with the focused attack favoring Trump.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:33 AM   #109
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I've asked before and if it's been answered bear with me. The linked story here comes from the Washington Post, but the issue was reported on by many news outlets:
Trump admits to Russian hacking even as he attacks U.S. intelligence community

What changed Trump's mind?

He dismissed the claim that Russia had compromising information on him as "fake news." But something must have been said to him, or shown to him, that led him to finally concede Russian involvement. One explanation is that he was shown or told about Russian surveillance of Trump himself. I can't imagine anything else changing his mind. Digital footprints wouldn't have done it; it would have to be a smoking gun, IMO. Something simple that Donald could understand. The existence of video he hadn't known about, or possibly even the video itself, probably would have done it. But has he or anyone else ever said what changed his mind?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 12:17 PM   #110
Distracted1
Philosopher

You can pretend a third party can win all you want but America elections are effectively a contest between two parties at present. I doubt Russia gave any thought to anyone winning other than Hillary or Donald.
Who's pretending anything? The distinction is real, and important. If the Russians tried to influence the outcome in order to defeat Hillary Clinton- obviously they would pick the person likely to defeat her (Trump, in this case) to aid- that does not indicate any fondness for Trump, only disdain for Clinton. OTOH, if they decided to aid Trumps campaign because they expect something in return from Trump, or because they feel Trump will harm the country in some way that another candidate wouldn't, the implications are different.
Old 20th March 2017, 12:20 PM   #111
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Gowdy is on a typical high horse that confuses the appearance of one thing with the reality of another. He's good, though, but he seems to be using words that he can spin to be on any winning side.
Old 20th March 2017, 12:34 PM   #112
fagin
Philosopher

There's more to Trumpski than meets the Ivan.
Old 20th March 2017, 12:42 PM   #113
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Ah, Watergate nostalgia....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 02:08 PM   #114
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

If Trump's genius 3-dimensional chess master plan in accusing Obama of wiretapping his phones was to get people to stop talking about his campaign's Russia connections and to make intelligence bigwigs deny that those connections were being investigated, it just backfired spectacularly.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 02:15 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As did Putin's supporting of Trump. It has made any softening of US policy toward Russia political Kryptonite for the GOP.
Some even feel that PUtin main goal was just causing disruption in the US Political System,with electing Trump a secondary goal.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 02:21 PM   #116
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
If Trump's genius 3-dimensional chess master plan in accusing Obama of wiretapping his phones was to get people to stop talking about his campaign's Russia connections and to make intelligence bigwigs deny that those connections were being investigated, it just backfired spectacularly.
No, no, no. According to the Ponderers of All Things Trump, what's actually going on here is that he pointed to the "wiretaps" to get people to stop talking about his campaigns Russia connections PRECISELY because he'd figured out that the FBI would eventually go public with their investigation. See, they'll never actually charge him with anything because Hillary was never charged with anything, so once he gets past this, not only will he have proven that all other news is fake, but he'll be able to show that he needs to do away with the FBI & replace them with his hand picked agency.

Wheels within cubes.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:17 PM   #117
Belz...
Fiend God

Calm down, have some syrup.
Is it maple syrup?

Old 20th March 2017, 03:41 PM   #118
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
As did Putin's supporting of Trump. It has made any softening of US policy toward Russia political Kryptonite for the GOP.
Some even feel that PUtin main goal was just causing disruption in the US Political System,with electing Trump a secondary goal.
We also learned that Russia hacked both GOP & Democratic email accounts but exploited only Democratic accounts. GOP in a very compromised position right now.
Old 20th March 2017, 04:37 PM   #119
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Benjamin Wittes from Lawfare has a good rundown on the hearing.

Quote:
But that's reading a lot into a relatively small number of tea leaves. What is clear is that this was a very bad day for the President. In it, we learned that there is an open-ended Russia investigation with no timetable for completion, one that's going hang over Trump's head for a long time, and one to which the FBI director is entirely committed.
Old 20th March 2017, 06:40 PM   #120
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I thought that was just Donald, and it wasn't proven.

Oh wait, wrong definition of leak.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics