IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ndes , obes

Old 31st August 2015, 05:43 PM   #561
Jodie
Philosopher

And I thought I was having a pleasant conversation with the people in this thread, how rude of me.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2015, 02:16 AM   #562
Daylightstar
Philosopher

In which you stated:
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
... but if we are an eternal one, what do you suppose earthly living is supposed to be about with all the push me/pull me going on?
You're asking 'what if', but there is no evidence anywhere for this 'if'.

People are born and people die. There is no evidence for a 'before' nor for an 'after'.
Can you think of ways to provide the in between bit with meaning?
Old 1st September 2015, 02:38 AM   #563
Belz...
Fiend God

I should say our corporeal body is inhabited by an infinite spark of something that carries on after we die, like shedding skin after you've outgrown it.
You're making things up as you go, here. It might feel good to believe so, but that's it.

Quote:
The way I see it , there isn't any reason it can't be a possibility.
Who cares if it's a possibility or not? It's a possibility that atoms move around because they're being pushed by small fairies.

Quote:
What I hope for is a life with meaning.
It does. You're the one who determines what that is for you.

Quote:
It's two different things, but if we are an eternal one, what do you suppose earthly living is supposed to be about with all the push me/pull me going on?
Really, stop that. Stop hoping for magic and make do with the world as is.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2015, 09:41 AM   #564
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
In which you stated:

You're asking 'what if', but there is no evidence anywhere for this 'if'.

People are born and people die. There is no evidence for a 'before' nor for an 'after'.
Can you think of ways to provide the in between bit with meaning?
If we exist eternally then I would think this would be some kind of alternate kind of game to allow us to experience what it's like to live with others, and whether that experience was bad or good would be irrelevant judging by our standards here on earth. We would take what we learn here and apply it to another sim lab situation.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2015, 09:52 AM   #565
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You're making things up as you go, here. It might feel good to believe so, but that's it.

Who cares if it's a possibility or not? It's a possibility that atoms move around because they're being pushed by small fairies.

It does. You're the one who determines what that is for you.

Really, stop that. Stop hoping for magic and make do with the world as is.
It won't be magic if it's real. A lot of people around the world care if it's a possibility, myself included, but no one can agree on what it might be like. I don't think that's a very realistic expectation to have anyway. I'm making do just fine, better than most people in the world, but there is nothing wrong with considering if there is more to life than here.
Old 1st September 2015, 10:02 AM   #566
Daylightstar
Philosopher

If we exist eternally then I would think this would be some kind of alternate kind of game to allow us to experience what it's like to live with others, and whether that experience was bad or good would be irrelevant judging by our standards here on earth. We would take what we learn here and apply it to another sim lab situation.
Your If ... then statement is invalid. There is not the slightest evidence for your 'if'.

The only thing coming after your life is the life of others. In your life you may choose to improve the quality of life of those sharing your life or of those coming after you in any way you like.
That could be your contribution to humanity.

Instead, you appear to judge such as irrelevant. You choose to escape in fantasies rather than to make a contribution to humanity.
How selfish.
Old 1st September 2015, 10:11 AM   #567
Jodie
Philosopher

Since you don't know what I do or anything about me I'm going to have to say that you're rather presumptuous in judgement. That shows a lack of critical thinking in and of itself. Nothing in the conversation thus far mentioned anything about descendents until you brought it up to demonstrate some kind of personal attribute I might have, that's a straw man argument.You've basically imagined what kind of person I am so how is that different from my considering what an afterlife might be like?

Last edited by Jodie; 1st September 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 1st September 2015, 10:18 AM   #568
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Since you don't know what I do or anything about me I'm going to have to say that you're rather presumptuous in judgement. ...
I look at how you present your argument. Is there anything missing from your arguments?

... Nothing in the conversation thus far mentioned anything about descendents until you brought it up ...
I brought up no such thing.
Old 1st September 2015, 11:04 AM   #569
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Jodie, Daylightstar mentioned the lives of others, not of descendants. It's your assumption here, not his.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2015, 03:51 PM   #570
Jodie
Philosopher

Sorry, I'm a nurse-midwife, I immediately went to reproduction.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Old 1st September 2015, 04:00 PM   #571
Daylightstar
Philosopher

When I asked whether you could think of ways to provide the in between bit (between being born and before dying) with meaning, you immediately went to other realms of existence.

Could the work you say you do perhaps have any meaning?
Old 1st September 2015, 05:32 PM   #572
Jodie
Philosopher

I'm sure it does, it and prostitution are the oldest professions in the world.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Old 1st September 2015, 07:33 PM   #573
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Bunny, bunny burning bright

In the forests of the night

What immortal hand or eye

Could frame thy fearful symmetry.
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
When the clouds rained down their water

On the bunnies like they ought to

Did he smile, their damp to see?

Did he who washed the Lamb, wash thee?
When we go into the woods
Would the could we should be goods,
Us clever little rabbits!

- Walt Kelly, some "Pogo" book or other
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2015, 07:47 PM   #574
Fudbucker
Philosopher

A God interested in remaining elusive could still intervene in the world on a massive scale.

Is there any evidence for such a god? No, not if it's powerful enough to intervene only in situations that won't be observed (or the occasional observed situation/phenomena (e.g., occasional veridical NDE account) to keep the faith alive).

Here's the tricky one: is there any evidence against such a god? What is the evidence, and what kind of future searches would be expected to turn up disconfirming evidence of such a being?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2015, 07:53 PM   #575
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
When we go into the woods
Would the could we should be goods,
Us clever little rabbits!

- Walt Kelly, some "Pogo" book or other
Tsk, tsk.

Actual lyrics:

"When I go into the woods,
I see the little bunnies,
Eating porridge as they should,
Those clever little rabbits."

Mother Goosery Rinds, 1958
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2015, 07:59 PM   #576
Jodie
Philosopher

Someone linked a tape earlier about quantum physics that states the evidence doesn't support the concept of an afterlife.

However I think physics is far from complete but my understanding of it is limited. I can't agree or disagree at this point without delving more deeply into the subject. I doubt that will make much difference without completely starting over with basic math.

I did run across this new research, it may or may not be relevant:

https://earthchangesmedia.wordpress....ton-particles/

Last edited by Jodie; 1st September 2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 1st September 2015, 08:59 PM   #577
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

If you presume that there is a purpose in life, you have to invent a purpose in death as well, since that's one thing we know occurs. But what evidence is there for any purpose in death, other than the logical one that a purpose in life requires it? We know we live and we know we die. All the rest is made up. It's made up even if it's a lucky guess and turns out to be true.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2015, 01:50 AM   #578
steenkh
Philosopher

Someone linked a tape earlier about quantum physics that states the evidence doesn't support the concept of an afterlife.
Physics does not support the concept of anything that we currently regard as paranormal, for the simple reason that we have cleaned out any possibility of interactions that are not explained by physics in the energy range that we live in. An afterlife would only make sense if souls or spirits exist, because that is what is supposed to continue living, but souls have to interact with physics, or we could not move our bodies or experience anything physical, so souls are ruled out.

You can dream up a fantasy world where souls live, but they can never be connected to the real world where our bodies exist.

Quote:
However I think physics is far from complete but my understanding of it is limited.
Obviously our knowledge of physics is far from complete, or we would not need to make research any more. However, the areas of physics that are incomplete are those of energy range far away from our normal life. We still research what happens at extremely low temperatures that do not exist naturally on Earth, and we research what happens at extremely high temperatures, that would obviously destroy us if we encountered it in our normal life.

Quote:
I did run across this new research, it may or may not be relevant:

https://earthchangesmedia.wordpress....ton-particles/
Yes, this is a good example of current research where physicists have found that our models need to be modified because of what happens at extreme energy ranges.

ETA: Alternatively, you can postulate that our physics models need to be completely scrapped. If you could construct a new model that explains everything that we currently know, spanning every bit of chemistry, atomic decay, tunnel effects, neutrino detection, you name it, and allows for spirits and an afterlife, then you have a case. You probably would not need to flesh out the new theory to the last bit, but just make it very likely that such a model exists. Solid evidence of an afterlife, or practically any other paranormal activity, would go a long way to make current physics tumble.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!

Last edited by steenkh; 2nd September 2015 at 02:03 AM.
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 07:46 AM   #579
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

The problem here is that many people are asking for too much evidence in an area wich is still unknown territory.
We are just taking the first steps in this new landscape.

A few propositions are important and neglected by many people here:

- We don't know everything there is to know.
- What we think we know, can be wrong, seen through the window of a much broader perspective.
- We can't expect that people can provide all evidence of NDE's and the afterlife. It's just the beginning of a scientific journey.

Maybe new evidence in the future, will provide us knowledge of a much broader perspective then what we know now. This broader perspective could give us totally different meaning to what science has discovered till now. So, don't be close minded here. Don't think you know everything there is to know and that your little scientific knowledge of the world is absolutely true.
'Where' is the image in the mind? What 'space' is the image in your mind in? Where is the dream? Where is your inner voice? It's not the same spacetime then where the electrical and chemical pulses are in the brain, causing this image or the dream. The image you see in your mind's eye is in a completely different dimension than where the chemistry in the brain is. (Maarten Vergucht)

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 6th September 2015 at 07:51 AM.
MaartenVergu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 07:51 AM   #580
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Maartenn100 View Post
The problem here is that many people are asking for too much evidence in an area wich is still unknown territory.

- What we think we know, can be wrong, seen through the window of a much broader perspective.
- We can't expect that people can provide all evidence of NDE's and the afterlife. It's just the beginning of a scientific journey.

Maybe new evidence in the future, will provide us knowledge of a much broader perspective then what we know know. So, don't be close minded here.
Woo!-of-the-Gaps argument.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 07:59 AM   #581
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Woo!-of-the-Gaps argument.
AKA Goo, goo goo.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 08:04 AM   #582
Donn
Philosopher

Any evidence at all in Maartenn's mind is too much. Ha. Brilliant.

Quote:
That's one small step per woo, one giant gap for you.

Quote:
Who said we did? Do you know anything about life after death?

Quote:
Take that advice.

Quote:
Any would do. Really: any. Got some?

Quote:
Maybe new evidence in the future, will provide us knowledge of a much broader perspective then what we know now. This broader perspective could give us totally different meaning to what science has discovered till now. So, don't be close minded here. Don't think you know everything there is to know and that your little scientific knowledge of the world is absolutely true.
So, this "maybe" future means you must also wait before you speak about life after death. Take your own advice.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 08:59 AM   #583
Daylightstar
Philosopher

The NDExperience and afterlife claims/conclusions center around non corporeal consciousness, for which there is no valid evidence.
Old 6th September 2015, 11:09 AM   #584
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

It's really not.

NDEs have been extensively researched. The results just haven't been what you want them to be, so you just move the goalposts and try to act as though it hasn't been researched enough.

This is not a particularly compelling argument.
Old 6th September 2015, 11:24 AM   #585
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Whose problem is that? It is really scraping the bottom of the argument barrel to say that a reason to believe a claim is that you don't have any evidence for it.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 11:35 AM   #586
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Whose problem is that? It is really scraping the bottom of the argument barrel to say that a reason to believe a claim is that you don't have any evidence for it.
This is not at all a difficulty for a particular group of our posters. That and a complete lack of functional knowledge of physics and much related to it!!!! Not to mention, which I am however, a corresponding lack of research skills - which mostly seem to consist of finding an article or two - often from less than competent sites - very often, indeed, that seems to vaguely support what they deeply want to be true.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 11:37 AM   #587
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Nonpareil View Post
It's really not.

NDEs have been extensively researched. The results just haven't been what you want them to be, so you just move the goalposts and try to act as though it hasn't been researched enough.

This is not a particularly compelling really even an argument.
FTFY!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 09:36 PM   #588
Jodie
Philosopher

How do we know we have consciousness? If we can figure that out it might indicate whether non corporeal consciousness is possible.
Old 6th September 2015, 09:38 PM   #589
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

How do we know we have consciousness?
but how can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real
Old 6th September 2015, 09:51 PM   #590
tsig
a carbon based life-form

But then how would we know that this broader perspective won't be superseded by still broader perspective which will again change the meaning?

Best to go back to the caves and rethink this whole thing.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 09:57 PM   #591
tsig
a carbon based life-form

How do we know we have consciousness? .
Because we have fingers.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 10:18 PM   #592
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

How do we know we have consciousness? If we can figure that out it might indicate whether non corporeal consciousness is possible.
I know I run. Do I have running?

Old 6th September 2015, 10:19 PM   #593
Jodie
Philosopher

Looks like they found a mechanism that ties consciousness to the brain through quantum vibrational computations in microtubules which are "orchestrated" ("Orch") by synaptic inputs and memory stored in microtubules, and terminated by "objective reduction" ('OR'), hence "Orch OR." Microtubules are major components of the cell structural skeleton. I'm not sure how that relates to something non corporeal. I haven't read much about this to comment one way or the other but it looks like there is more debate about it both pro and con. I'll have to read it later but here is the link if you have the time to read it before I will:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...71064513001188
Old 6th September 2015, 11:17 PM   #594
Donn
Philosopher

I predict a quantum ergo.
Old 7th September 2015, 12:30 AM   #595
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Multiple parallel process working in the brain. Chemico-physical processes.

Done.

Non corporeal consciousness is impossible based on our knowledge of physic.

Re-done.

Oh and just in case you want to involve Quantum mechanic : don't, QM also involve physical entities.

Last edited by Aepervius; 7th September 2015 at 12:31 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2015, 12:35 AM   #596
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Looks like they found a mechanism that ties consciousness to the brain through quantum vibrational computations in microtubules which are "orchestrated" ("Orch") by synaptic inputs and memory stored in microtubules, and terminated by "objective reduction" ('OR'), hence "Orch OR." Microtubules are major components of the cell structural skeleton. I'm not sure how that relates to something non corporeal. I haven't read much about this to comment one way or the other but it looks like there is more debate about it both pro and con. I'll have to read it later but here is the link if you have the time to read it before I will:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...71064513001188
That article was discussed to some extent in other forums. Firstly they isolated those tubule in a way it does not happen in the brain. Once you remove the isolation guess what happens. Secondly, again those are PHYSICAL properties. Eliminate the tubule and you have a lot of nothing. Furthermore there is no indication that such system would even influence neuron potential in a way that chemico processes do today.

Conclusion : you meed a physical media even if the case above was even remotely applicable to the brain. It does not help your NDE stuff in any way whatsoever.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2015, 01:58 AM   #597
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Non corporeal self referencing ability
Old 7th September 2015, 02:04 AM   #598
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Get near a dying person, put nozzle of running vacuum cleaner on or near dying person, as soon person is fully dead, put a stick in contents of vacuum cleaner bag and put in freezer.
Next day you have non corporeal consciousness popsicle.

Self referencing ability on a stick from the freezer

Last edited by Daylightstar; 7th September 2015 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Lolypop > Popsicle
Daylightstar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2015, 03:09 AM   #599
Donn
Philosopher

Ha ha. An ectosicle.
Old 7th September 2015, 04:48 AM   #600
steenkh
Philosopher

It is not the beginning of a scientific journey. Evidence for an afterlife sought for centuries, but nothing has been found. The question is when do people call it quits and stop looking?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal