IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies , wind power

Old 22nd June 2017, 01:36 PM   #1
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Now he is tilting at windmills

And he never lets facts stand in the way of his opinions.

Trump Criticizes Wind Power in Iowa

Quote:
Trump has a longstanding grudge against wind power, stretching back to before his days in politics. As a developer, he fought plans to install a wind farm off the coast of one of his golf courses in Aberdeen, Scotland, which he argued would destroy the aesthetic value of his property. In 2012, he sent a letter to the then-head of the Scottish government where he called wind turbines “monsters” and described the wind farm project as “insanity.”
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 02:09 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Iowa GOP leaders were quick to disassocitate themselves from Trump's remarks.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Monza
Alta Viro

You'd think a major windbag would be in favor of wind power.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 02:16 PM   #4
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
You'd think a major windbag would be in favor of wind power.
He's afraid he'll lose his monopoly.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 02:19 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump is Don Quixote, who is his Sancho Panza?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Quote:
Trump has a longstanding grudge against wind power, stretching back to before his days in politics. As a developer, he fought plans to install a wind farm off the coast of one of his golf courses in Aberdeen, Scotland, which he argued would destroy the aesthetic value of his property.
He's got something in common with Ted Kennedy, then.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 02:31 PM   #7
mgidm86
Philosopher

That's bad. Having an unpopular opinion or policy is one thing, but what a complete moron.

I really can't believe how stupid he is. I've talked about this with friends and family but not so much here (I voted for the moron). I still want some good to come out of this but it looks unlikely. The guys at the local pub probably have more well thought out opinions and ideas than Trump, and that's bad.

Let's hope we can come up with some actual candidates next time around (ya right).

But gawdamn he is stoopid.
Old 22nd June 2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

When it's not lying in an attempt to get the tiniest advantage, it's just straight-up dumb.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 02:54 PM   #9
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Now he is tilting at windmills
Wait a sec... first he dislikes them when they want to put some up near his property. Then, during the 2016 election he praised them, even suggesting they deserve government subsidies. Now, he's against them.

Its like his opinion varies based on the way the wind is blowing.

Is there any politician who's opinion changes so much and so fast?

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 03:05 PM   #10
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Wait a sec... first he dislikes them when they want to put some up near his property. Then, during the 2016 election he praised them, even suggesting they deserve government subsidies. Now, he's against them.

No. But he's not a politician. He's a con man.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 03:10 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
That's bad. Having an unpopular opinion or policy is one thing, but what a complete moron.

I really can't believe how stupid he is. I've talked about this with friends and family but not so much here (I voted for the moron). I still want some good to come out of this but it looks unlikely. The guys at the local pub probably have more well thought out opinions and ideas than Trump, and that's bad.

Let's hope we can come up with some actual candidates next time around (ya right).

But gawdamn he is stoopid.
What gets to me is what does he gain by this?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

He whole vendetta against Renewable Energy makes no sense anyway. If you want to promote more self suffiency in power for America, you encourage development on all fronts. But for some wiered reason Donnie hates renewable resources. If you want to encourage more use of coal..provided it does not created a bigger pollution problem,fine. But that is no reason to knock everything else.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd June 2017, 03:11 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Biggest Con Man to hit Iowa since Professor Harold Hill....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd June 2017, 03:30 PM   #13
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Actually, I think he more resemble's Sancho's mount.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 03:33 PM   #14
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Actually, I think he more resemble's Sancho's mount.
The south end of it when Sancho is heading north.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 04:10 PM   #15
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

His flip flops make more racket than a women's dormitory.
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:00 PM   #16
fromdownunder
Philosopher

What gets to me is what does he gain by this?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

He whole vendetta against Renewable Energy makes no sense anyway. If you want to promote more self suffiency in power for America, you encourage development on all fronts. But for some wiered reason Donnie hates renewable resources. If you want to encourage more use of coal..provided it does not created a bigger pollution problem,fine. But that is no reason to knock everything else.
Except that he also wants "his" idea of Solar Panels on the Mexican Wall, which is, the last time I looked, renewable energy. I am not sure that using Solar Panels on a 3000+K wall is going to do a lot for the coal industry.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:02 PM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
They're both terrible drivers?
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:11 PM   #18
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
They're both terrible drivers?
They both don't want wind farms that might interfere with their ocean views.

I also hear they both grab women by the ... anyways, not my point.

No idea about Trump's driving ability, but I don't think he killed anybody yet.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:25 PM   #19
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump’s ideas on energy are not only stupid they are in fact just corrupt. Trump isn't going to bring back coal jobs. He might make his millionaire friends in the coal industry more money but nothing else.

But Trump's problem with wind may have more to do with a battle with an offshore wind development he fought and lost in Scotland. He saw them as an eyesore to his golf course and of course employed his scorched earth tactics which made him a hated man in the old country.
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:06 PM   #20
fuelair
Banned

Whose butt he's licking or who he's currently blowing..........
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:23 PM   #21
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
No. But he's not a politician. He's a con man.
DITTO!!

Remember how supportive he was of the House health bill and then turned around call the bill, "mean?" Now, Donald "Don Quixote" Trump is attacking windmills.

Time to dump dumb Trump.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:28 AM   #22
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trump’s ideas on energy are not only stupid they are in fact just corrupt. Trump isn't going to bring back coal jobs. He might make his millionaire friends in the coal industry more money but nothing else.
Yep, the people in Iowa should be realizing they were sold a con-job. Trump tried to sell himself as a "man of the people", and his commitment to the coal miners was supposedly the example of that. Folks in Iowa saw that and thought, hey, he cares about people like me! He'll care for us like he cares for the coal miners.

Now they are realizing that, no, he didn't care about them. He is so committed to pleasing the coal miners that he just threw everyone else under the bus. He doesn't care about "people like the coal miners" it is only about the coal miners.

The windmill industry in Iowa creates a lot of jobs. From the manufacturing in Newton, to transport, to construction, to operation (we used to see pieces being shipped on the road all the time - an individual blade is an oversized load on a flatbed trailer; it was impressive). But he's happy for them to go out of business to save the coal miners in West Virginia.

I hope they wake up and smell the manure he's shoveling.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:45 AM   #23
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I would have said Pence (and I figure conspiracy theorists could do something with the closeness of the name), but my recollection is that Panza was not an idiot.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:53 AM   #24
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Spain is doing quite well in the industry, by the way. Curiously, it is a smaller German firm in the field, Siemens, that is going to merge with larger and third largest, Gamesa, to up competitiveness. A Catalan firm, Ecotčcnia, was bought by Alstom in 2007, then by GE, and is now second in turbines. Overall, a Dutch firm leads the industry.

Trump might as well have ranted about people walking and talking on newfangled cell phones at the same time. Like, rude!
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:31 AM   #25
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

And Iowa GOP leaders were quick to disassocitate themselves from Trump's remarks.
Another nail in the coffin.
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:46 AM   #26
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Too bad Trump doesn't have the same current residence as Teddy.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:13 AM   #27
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Another nail in the coffin.
Only if their opposition extends beyond words - which I doubt it will...
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:19 PM   #28
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Yep, the people in Iowa should be realizing they were sold a con-job. Trump tried to sell himself as a "man of the people", and his commitment to the coal miners was supposedly the example of that. Folks in Iowa saw that and thought, hey, he cares about people like me! He'll care for us like he cares for the coal miners.

Now they are realizing that, no, he didn't care about them. He is so committed to pleasing the coal miners that he just threw everyone else under the bus. He doesn't care about "people like the coal miners" it is only about the coal miners.

The windmill industry in Iowa creates a lot of jobs. From the manufacturing in Newton, to transport, to construction, to operation (we used to see pieces being shipped on the road all the time - an individual blade is an oversized load on a flatbed trailer; it was impressive). But he's happy for them to go out of business to save the coal miners in West Virginia.

Like when the people of River City woke up that Harold Hill was scamming them....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:33 PM   #29
fuelair
Banned

Not his opinion, his choice of presented facts/options. That meet his most recent thought (?) on the topic!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:38 PM   #30
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

They had a chance. When Hillary pointed out their deplorability. But they chose not to take it. They made the wrong choice and they need to eat it and make up for it in a big anti republicker revolt in '18 and a bigger one in "20!!!!!!
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:42 PM   #31
fuelair
Banned

Like when the people of River City woke up that Harold Hill was scamming them....
but he learned his lesson and appears to have reformed!!!!!! Trumpf never will
except in expiration. Which should be soon and hard.
Old 23rd June 2017, 01:48 PM   #32
ahhell
Philosopher

Wasn't that a different Kennedy?

Also, his daughter is clearly the Sancho Panza of the administration or maybe Mattis.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:44 PM   #33
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Windmills probably need to be a part of any long-term energy solution, but they are poorly suited for many places, are generally considered aesthetically unpleasant, and are as reliable as the wind. They are nowhere as near as good a solution as nuclear, and the cost is not dropping nearly as fast as solar.

Last edited by Brainster; 23rd June 2017 at 11:46 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2017, 05:54 AM   #34
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Maybe Trump can build an aesthetically pleasing coal plant next to his golf course. That's a win-win for him.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2017, 06:00 AM   #35
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Wind power once crossed him. Now, when encountered, wind power must always be punished.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2017, 04:20 PM   #36
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

So after rant about wind, did he then rant about corn too?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2017, 04:57 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Maybe Trump can build an aesthetically pleasing coal plant next to his golf course. That's a win-win for him.
Please, PLEASE, let a power company propose siting a big stinky fossil plant next to one of his courses. Doesn't even have to be coal, just ugly. That would be awesome. Of course, he wouldn't take any notice of it, being totally separated from his businesses; completely tiny-little-hands-off.

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
So after rant about wind, did he then rant about corn too?
Probably too much owing to ADM and Cargill. And besides, lib-tards pretty much hate corn ethanol because it takes more petroleum to produce than the energy you get out of it. Although some probably enjoy a Jack Daniel's on occasion.
Old 24th June 2017, 05:18 PM   #38
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Disassociation between normal folk and the Trumpian Swamp is a feature of the times.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2017, 05:28 PM   #39
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Although some probably enjoy a Jack Daniel's on occasion.
Still do and long have. Can't say I've seen any impact of this corn-fuel thing.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2017, 06:52 PM   #40
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Still do and long have. Can't say I've seen any impact of this corn-fuel thing.
Increasing the price of corn can't be doing your booze any good.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics