IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th July 2017, 12:28 PM   #1
Arcade22
Philosopher

Republicans want America to pay for the damn border wall, not Mexico!

Quote:
The House Appropriations Committee on Tuesday released a bill allocating $1.6 billion to begin construction of a physical barrier along the U.S. border with Mexico, one of President Trump’s central campaign promises.

The bill funding the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for fiscal year 2018 also negates one of Trump’s central promises, that Mexico would pay for the construction of the wall.

“Keeping Americans safe by protecting our homeland is a top priority. This funding bill provides the resources to begin building a wall along our southern border, enhance our existing border security infrastructure, hire more border patrol agents, and fund detention operations,” said House Appropriations Homeland Security Subcommittee Chairman John Carter.

Earlier in the day, DHS spokesman David Lapan said that the requested funding would be crucial to moving the project beyond current repairs, replacements and prototype projects.

“On the DHS side it’s clear that we’ve gotten a direction to secure the southern border, that a wall and barrier is part of that process along with people and technology and that funding from Congress is required for us to move forward on that,” he said.
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/34...ps-border-wall

A brilliant Republican also mused that the border wall ought to be funded with money meant for family planning and food stamps:

Quote:
Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, argued Wednesday that Congress should build President Trump's border wall by taking money from Planned Parenthood and federal food stamps.

On CNN, King said he supports the $1.6 billion in funding that the House is considering as a start for building the wall. But he said he'd add another $5 billion if he had his way.

"And I would find half of a billion dollars of that right out of Planned Parenthood's budget," he said. "And the rest of it could come out of food stamps and the entitlements that are being spread out for people that haven't worked in three generations."

"We've got to put America back to work, this administration will do it," he said.

He also said the border wall would help create millions of new jobs, which would mean far fewer people will need federal aid.

"We will create the kind of security that would bring about 10 million new jobs in America just by enforcing immigration law," he said.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/st...rticle/2628374

10 million jobs created to enforce immigration law! Amazing! While Obama cheated and lied about unemployment Trump is now going to create millions upon millions of jobs for American citizens to catch the illegal aliens flooding over the Mexican border thanks to Obama's negligence. Presumably the American tax payer can be reimbursed by harvesting the organs from the illegals.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 12th July 2017 at 12:30 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 01:30 PM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

"by enforcing" not "to enforce". With fewer illegals, there'll be more jobs for Americans who will be happy to work at, or below, minimum wage because there are no food stamps.

Utter rubbish of course but I don't think he's suggesting 10 million more ICE agents.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
"by enforcing" not "to enforce". With fewer illegals, there'll be more jobs for Americans who will be happy to work at, or below, minimum wage because there are no food stamps.

Utter rubbish of course but I don't think he's suggesting 10 million more ICE agents.
You never know -- this is Steve King we're talking about here. The dumbest man in Congress not named Louie Gohmert.
Old 12th July 2017, 03:15 PM   #4
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You never know -- this is Steve King we're talking about here. The dumbest man in Congress not named Louie Gohmert.
You forgot about Lamar Smith.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Cain
Straussian

Quote:
Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, argued Wednesday that Congress should build President Trump's border wall by taking money from Planned Parenthood and federal food stamps.
Now there's a guy who knows how to properly scare people.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2017, 07:58 PM   #6
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'm sure Mexico will pay us back later. Just send em a bill.

We won't need so much money for Planned Parenthood and Food Stamps once the wall is built!

Quote:
10 million jobs created to enforce immigration law! Amazing! While Obama cheated and lied about unemployment Trump is now going to create millions upon millions of jobs for American citizens to catch the illegal aliens flooding over the Mexican border thanks to Obama's negligence. Presumably the American tax payer can be reimbursed by harvesting the organs from the illegals.
That 10 million number should have triggered your skeptic meter even through that red haze of America hatred. Fake paragraph!
Old 13th July 2017, 05:06 AM   #7
Drewbot
Philosopher

Trump has already built a psychological wall. Border detentions are at a 17 year low.
https://www.usnews.com/news/national...on-under-trump

Stopping the Illegal Drug trade over the Mexico border would be an easy way to make Mexico pay for the wall.

We have seen recent crack downs by the Mexican government on drug cartels in the northern states. By stopping the drugs from coming over, we can stop 20 Billion dollars annually from crossing into Mexico.

Paying for the wall does not necessarily mean writing a check to the US government. But it looks like stopping the drug trade will make a huge dent in the balance sheet.

This does not even take into account the deaths and medical expenses from the shoddy Black Tar Heroin that Mexico is known for.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 05:28 AM   #8
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 05:28 AM   #9
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Trump has already built a psychological wall. Border detentions are at a 17 year low.

Stopping the Illegal Drug trade over the Mexico border would be an easy way to make Mexico pay for the wall.

We have seen recent crack downs by the Mexican government on drug cartels in the northern states. By stopping the drugs from coming over, we can stop 20 Billion dollars annually from crossing into Mexico.

Paying for the wall does not necessarily mean writing a check to the US government. But it looks like stopping the drug trade will make a huge dent in the balance sheet.

This does not even take into account the deaths and medical expenses from the shoddy Black Tar Heroin that Mexico is known for.
Gotcha

Really getting creative there
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 05:33 AM   #10
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

10 million jobs for $1.6 billion is $160 per job.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 05:47 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
10 million jobs created to enforce immigration law! Amazing! While Obama cheated and lied about unemployment Trump is now going to create millions upon millions of jobs for American citizens to catch the illegal aliens flooding over the Mexican border thanks to Obama's negligence.
Wow, small government!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 05:58 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Wow, small government!
Again, let me correct what I think is a misunderstanding. I do not think Steve King is advocating that 10 million government jobs are created but rather that, because there are fewer illegal immigrants, there will 10 million more jobs for people who are in the U.S. legally.

IMO that's utter, utter rubbish but I it's different utter rubbish.
Old 13th July 2017, 06:05 AM   #13
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Again, let me correct what I think is a misunderstanding. I do not think Steve King is advocating that 10 million government jobs are created but rather that, because there are fewer illegal immigrants, there will 10 million more jobs for people who are in the U.S. legally.

IMO that's utter, utter rubbish but I it's different utter rubbish.
I'll say. Those 10 million mexicans have to buy stuff, don't they? That creates jobs, doesn't it?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 08:29 AM   #14
Border Reiver
Philosopher

"In other news, the Mexican Boat Builder's Association reported a large increase in demand.

Emperors Hadrian and the Ming Emperors wish America all the best."
Old 13th July 2017, 12:52 PM   #15
Biscuit
Philosopher

When he said, "Mexico will pay for it!" He was speaking metaphorically. They will pay for it in an abstract non linear sense of payment not dependent on actual payment.
Old 13th July 2017, 01:06 PM   #16
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Just because I haven't seen it in this thread ... I understood the idea Mexico would pay for the wall, would be by adding tariffs to goods imported from Mexico to the US ...

There's three hundred billion dollars of goods coming in from Mexico every year ...

Spread out over say ... ten years ... its within the realm of possibility.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 01:09 PM   #17
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
Just because I haven't seen it in this thread ... I understood the idea Mexico would pay for the wall, would be by adding tariffs to goods imported from Mexico to the US ...

There's three hundred billion dollars of goods coming in from Mexico every year ...

The cost of tariffs will be past on to the American consumer. That's not Mexico paying for the wall.
Old 13th July 2017, 01:15 PM   #18
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
The cost of tariffs will be past on to the American consumer. That's not Mexico paying for the wall.
It's diabolical.

Trump pays for the wall, so we (Taxpayers) pay for it up front.

To get the money back into the treasury, Trump places a tariff on goods from Mexico, so we (taxpayers) pay it back to the treasury.

What? There's all this money in the treasury, give the rich folks another tax break!

See! American taxpayers didn't pay for the wall! We paid for it twice!
Old 13th July 2017, 01:17 PM   #19
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
It's diabolical.

Trump pays for the wall, so we (Taxpayers) pay for it up front.

To get the money back into the treasury, Trump places a tariff on goods from Mexico, so we (taxpayers) pay it back to the treasury.

What? There's all this money in the treasury, give the rich folks another tax break!

See! American taxpayers didn't pay for the wall! We paid for it twice!
ALSO well within the relm of possibility!
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 01:19 PM   #20
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

No we would have to charge the exports we are making to mexico to get them to pay for it. The real idea was putting a tax on money transfers to mexico. So bankers would pay.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 03:06 PM   #21
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

All of that assumes that the wall will be effective in stopping the drug trade. I'll believe that when I see it.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 03:12 PM   #22
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I'll say. Those 10 million mexicans have to buy stuff, don't they? That creates jobs, doesn't it?
Well yes. The whole, "Mexicans are stealing our jobs" meme seems to be based on the assumption that there are a fixed number of jobs.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 03:14 PM   #23
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

When he said, "Mexico will pay for it!" He was speaking metaphorically. They will pay for it in an abstract non linear sense of payment not dependent on actual payment.
Now you see why people don't like working for Trump.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2017, 03:16 PM   #24
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
"In other news, the Mexican Boat Builder's Association reported a large increase in demand.

Emperors Hadrian and the Ming Emperors wish America all the best."
I suspect ladders, shovels dynamite will see a spike in demand too. None of the advocates of building a wall seem to be talking about how they plan to guard it. If it's not guarded, people will climb over it, dig under it, or knock holes in it; probably a combination of all three.
Old 14th July 2017, 12:26 AM   #25
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I suspect ladders, shovels dynamite will see a spike in demand too. None of the advocates of building a wall seem to be talking about how they plan to guard it. If it's not guarded, people will climb over it, dig under it, or knock holes in it; probably a combination of all three.
As MikeG pointed out upthread, depending on what it's made out of, they may steal large chunks of it too given half a chance
Old 14th July 2017, 06:15 AM   #26
Drewbot
Philosopher

As long as they pay for it.

No really, I think "Mexico will pay for it" was a negotiation move. It was an extreme position. This is common in business negotiations, but perhaps not in political negotiations, which is why it is triggering so much cognitive dissonance.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 06:48 AM   #27
Belz...
Fiend God

No, tariffs are paid by American consumers, Yeggster.

Old 14th July 2017, 06:55 AM   #28
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

As long as they pay for it.

No really, I think "Mexico will pay for it" was a negotiation move. It was an extreme position. This is common in business negotiations, but perhaps not in political negotiations, which is why it is triggering so much cognitive dissonance.
Building a wall on an international border is not a business negotiation.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 07:02 AM   #29
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Building a wall on an international border is not a business negotiation.
It seems to be just that, now.
Old 15th July 2017, 12:07 AM   #30
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It seems to be just that, now.
I guess this is how things are now, if Trump gets something done (even if it wasn't anything to do with him) he gets credit and if he fails miserably, it was a negotiating tactic

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics