IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 11:53 AM   #441
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
According to various talking heads on CNN, ethics complaints filed by outside groups happen constantly, and they rarely progress -- this is background noise. It's merely an excuse covering for Ryan taking action due to Nunes' spectacular loss of credibility.
Thanks.

Drip, drip, drip ...
Old 6th April 2017, 09:46 PM   #442
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I guess the Trump - Putin honeymoon period is over with US missile strike on the Syrian airfield that the US clsims launched the sarin attack.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 6th April 2017 at 09:48 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 09:57 PM   #443
Civet
Graduate Poster

I guess whatever leverage Putin & Pals may have thought they had over Trump wasn't enough. One advantage of a president who can generate scandals more powerful than any blackmail with just one tweet.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2017, 10:56 PM   #444
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I guess the Trump - Putin honeymoon period is over with US missile strike on the Syrian airfield that the US clsims launched the sarin attack.

Since Putin and Trump were bed partners, I wonder if Putin is going to ask Trump for a divorce.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 02:55 PM   #445
Childlike Empress
Banned

BREAKING:

Originally Posted by Der Postillon, improved autotranslation
Moscow (dpo) - Just a few hours after the US attack on an air base in Syria, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced today that he has manipulated the presidential election in the US. He was sincerely sorry that it would likely have to be repeated - without the discredited Donald Trump, of course.
Speaking at a specially convened press conference, Putin said: "It is perhaps a rather unfavorable time, but my bad conscience forces me to finally make a confession: we have manipulated the US election in November by hacking attacks on the Democrats, agreements with the Trump team and a gigantic fake news campaign."
The Russian government would promptly provide proof that the outcome of the presidential election was undemocratic.
The Russian President deeply regretted that the election would have to be repeated. "Now that it is known that we have manipulated them, it is, of course, impossible for Donald Trump to remain president."
Putin doubts that Trump-Rival Hillary Clinton, who also called for air strikes against Assad, will run again either. "The woman is burned politically after she has been hacked by a foreign government."
Fortunately, there are other good politicians in the US, the Russian President stated confidently. "We ... I mean, of course, the US citizens will sure find the right candidate in the end!"

Yes, of course it is Satire. Although he could do it, and maybe he should.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 04:39 PM   #446
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

I hear David Duke is available.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 06:49 PM   #447
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Putin was never Trump's pal. Trump was just Putins useful idiot to stir up the chaos in the USA political system.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 07:01 PM   #448
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Since Putin and Trump were bed partners, I wonder if Putin is going to ask Trump for a divorce.
Interesting way for you to connect the dots!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 07:04 PM   #449
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Putin was never Trump's pal. Trump was just Putins useful idiot to stir up the chaos in the USA political system.
That's about the size of it.

I think Putin despises Western democracy, which he regards as a hypocritical sham, and is delighting in how easy - and cheap - it appears to be to screw it around.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 07:10 PM   #450
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they can be ex's with benefits.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 07:15 PM   #451
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I guess whatever leverage Putin & Pals may have thought they had over Trump wasn't enough. One advantage of a president who can generate scandals more powerful than any blackmail with just one tweet.

That's okay, the goal posts will be moved to accommodate.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post

I think Putin despises Western democracy, which he regards as a hypocritical sham, and is delighting in how easy - and cheap - it appears to be to screw it around.

And the Russian narrative begins to fall apart. I think you give Putin too much credit.
Old 7th April 2017, 08:38 PM   #452
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

And the Russian narrative begins to fall apart. I think you give Putin too much credit.
Credit for what?
He is just destabilizing. Mission accomplished.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 08:45 PM   #453
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The attack that did little damage.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2017, 08:47 PM   #454
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I do believe, while this may be true, it is almost certainly too soon to be planning the funeral.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th April 2017, 06:25 AM   #455
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

What's falling apart about it. Seems to me the investigations are proceeding. I have little doubt we'll see further evidence of collusion.

Maybe Trump will want to bomb Russia next to throw the dogs off the scent.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 03:35 AM   #456
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
What's falling apart about it. Seems to me the investigations are proceeding. I have little doubt we'll see further evidence of collusion.

Yep, but he'll call Russia first to make sure they're okay with it.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th April 2017, 10:46 PM   #457
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
Chabad of Port Washington, a Jewish community center on Long Island’s Manhasset Bay, sits in a squat brick edifice across from a Shell gas station and a strip mall. The center is an unexceptional building on an unexceptional street, save for one thing: Some of the shortest routes between Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin run straight through it.

Two decades ago, as the Russian president set about consolidating power on one side of the world, he embarked on a project to supplant his country’s existing Jewish civil society and replace it with a parallel structure loyal to him. On the other side of the world, the brash Manhattan developer was working to get a piece of the massive flows of capital that were fleeing the former Soviet Union in search of stable assets in the West, especially real estate, and seeking partners in New York with ties to the region.

Their respective ambitions led the two men—along with Trump’s future son-in-law, Jared Kushner—to build a set of close, overlapping relationships in a small world that intersects on Chabad, an international Hasidic movement most people have never heard of.

President Trump has reportedly sought security clearances for Kushner and Ivanka, who have taken on growing roles in his White House. For anyone else, a close personal relationship with the family of a top Putin confidant would present significant hurdles to obtaining security clearances, former high-ranking intelligence officials said, but political pressure to grant clearances to the president’s children would be likely to override any security concerns.

“Yes, such connections to Russia should matter for a clearance,” said Steve Hall, a former CIA Moscow station chief. “Question is, will they?”

“I don’t think the Trump family camp will have any trouble with security clearances, as long as there’s no polygraph involved,” said Milt Bearden, former chief of the CIA’s Eastern European division. “It’s absolutely crazy, but not going to be an issue.”
http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...d-putin-215007

Close but still informal relationships like these are ripe for being compromised by spies. Moreover it should be a prime target for investigation for evidence of collusion between Trumps presidential campaign and Russia.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th April 2017, 01:07 PM   #458
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Yep, but he'll call Russia first to make sure they're okay with it.
Yes now that more details have come in - it does look a bit like that... except for the law of unintended consequences. I don't imagine that Trump is going to personally be impressed by a joint statement by Russia, Iran and Assad saying that a red line has been crossed by the US and that they'd retaliate if it was crossed again...

I would think that Russia would not want to draw attention to the fact that it's allied with Iran in this situation.

Mind you, I have been asking my colleagues how long before the contradictions in Trump's foreign policy approach would start to cause problems - supporting both Israel and Ia key ally of Iran was always going to be problematic. I do have a horrible suspicion it does make sense if you have a fear of Islam as your main concern. Russia - the bastion of Christendom.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 11:30 AM   #459
The_Animus
Illuminator

An Onion article from April 7th titled: "Trump Confident U.S. Military Strike on Syria Wiped Out Russian Scandal"

http://www.theonion.com/article/trum...iped-out-55722

Today in an interview with the Telegraph, Eric Trump said: "If there was anything that Syria did, it was to vindicate the fact there its no Russia tie."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...utin-says-son/

The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 11:50 AM   #460
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Your blind faith in Trump is so touching.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 11:55 AM   #461
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

IMHO Putin hoped both to destabilize the US AND put somebody in the White House he could easily mainipulate into a pro Russian policy. He suceeeded in the first but failed in the second, because Putin did not cover his tracks well enough.
And whether the destablisation of US politics will work as well for Russia as Putin has hoped remains to be seen.
Putin might not have been as clever as he thought he was being.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 12:05 PM   #462
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
An Onion article from April 7th titled: "Trump Confident U.S. Military Strike on Syria Wiped Out Russian Scandal"

http://www.theonion.com/article/trum...iped-out-55722

Today in an interview with the Telegraph, Eric Trump said: "If there was anything that Syria did, it was to vindicate the fact there its no Russia tie."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...utin-says-son/

Alec Baldwin said something similar on SNL.
Old 11th April 2017, 02:42 PM   #463
Toontown
Philosopher

The mere fact that there ever was a honeymoon should be sufficient to give you all something unpleasant to think about. Follow the reasoning:

If Trump is enough of a foghat to make Putin think his election would sow the seeds of chaos in the U.S. then that makes Putin a foghat as well, because he was crazy enough to help a foghat gain control of an arsenal which could glass Putin's entire world in minutes.

Which would mean that the leaders of the two countries with the planet's largest nuclear arsenals are both foghats.

Which would mean, in turn, that the tens of millions of people who blindly follow the two foghats are also foghats.

And even if Putin is wrong and Trump is not a foghat, Putin still is a foghat, because he helped what he believes is a foghat gain control of the arsenal, much of which is aimed straight at him.

Think about that for a while. Then, if you have survivalist tendencies, you can begin construction of your bunker in a motivated state of mind.

Last edited by Toontown; 11th April 2017 at 02:48 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 02:49 PM   #464
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
The mere fact that there ever was a honeymoon should be sufficient to give you all something unpleasant to think about. Follow the reasoning:

If Trump is enough of a foghat to make Putin think his election would sow the seeds of chaos in the U.S. then that makes Putin a foghat as well, because he was crazy enough to help a foghat gain control of an arsenal which could glass Putin's entire world in minutes.

Which would mean that the leaders of the two countries with the planet's largest nuclear arsenals are both foghats.

Which would mean, in turn, that the tens of millions of people who blindly follow the two foghats are also foghats.

Think about that for a while. Then, if you have survivalist tendencies, you can begin construction of your bunker in a motivated state of mind.
I know the band called Foghat, but I'm afraid I don't know the idiom. Am I right in thinking that a foghat is an unpredictable person?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 02:54 PM   #465
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
IMHO Putin hoped both to destabilize the US AND put somebody in the White House he could easily mainipulate into a pro Russian policy. He suceeeded in the first but failed in the second, because Putin did not cover his tracks well enough.
And whether the destablisation of US politics will work as well for Russia as Putin has hoped remains to be seen.
Putin might not have been as clever as he thought he was being.
Sounds like 9/11 Truther Talk.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 02:56 PM   #466
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I know the band called Foghat, but I'm afraid I don't know the idiom. Am I right in thinking that a foghat is an unpredictable person?
I couldn't find a definition for the idiom. I can only tell you that my personal definition is someone who is mentally unstable.

Last edited by Toontown; 11th April 2017 at 02:57 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 02:58 PM   #467
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Sounds like 9/11 Truther Talk.
Uh, it has pretty much been established that PUtin was playing games with the US election. What the fighting is about is how much the Trump Campaign knew about it and when did they know it.
But I have noted you seem to have become a pretty big defender of Putin.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th April 2017, 03:05 PM   #468
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Uh, it has pretty much been established that PUtin was playing games with the US election. What the fighting is about is how much the Trump Campaign knew about it and when did they know it.
But I have noted you seem to have become a pretty big defender of Putin.
No it hasn't. Not at all.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 03:09 PM   #469
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

You are 100% wrong.

"Not at all." Goodness.
Old 11th April 2017, 03:13 PM   #470
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
I couldn't find a definition for the idiom. I can only tell you that my personal definition is someone who is mentally unstable.
Ok, thanks. There must be an origin story for that band name. I don't know it, and that bugs me.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 03:17 PM   #471
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
You are 100% wrong.

"Not at all." Goodness.
I am beginning to suspect we are being Trolled....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th April 2017, 03:22 PM   #472
Belz...
Fiend God

One wonders what your threshold of evidence is for stuff that makes your communist friends look bad.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 03:37 PM   #473
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Ok, thanks. There must be an origin story for that band name. I don't know it, and that bugs me.
Nor do I. More accurately, I sometimes use the term for someone whose reasoning is fogged by disinformation and/or questionable ideology.
Old 11th April 2017, 05:00 PM   #474
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

FBI obtained FISA warrant to monitor former Trump adviser Carter Page

Quote:
The FBI obtained a secret court order last summer to monitor the communications of an adviser to presidential candidate Donald Trump, part of an investigation into possible links between Russia and the campaign, law enforcement and other U.S. officials said.

The FBI and the Justice Department obtained the warrant targeting Carter Page’s communications after convincing a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court judge that there was probable cause to believe Page was acting as an agent of a foreign power, in this case Russia, according to the officials.

This is the clearest evidence so far that the FBI had reason to believe during the 2016 presidential campaign that a Trump campaign adviser was in touch with Russian agents. Such contacts are now at the center of an investigation into whether the campaign coordinated with the Russian government to swing the election in Trump’s favor.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th April 2017, 06:38 PM   #475
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Putin wanted a President who would destabilize the US government. One should be careful of what one wishes for.
Old 11th April 2017, 07:13 PM   #476
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
"Carter who? Never heard of him. And he only had a minor role in our campaign."
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 06:25 AM   #477
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
"Carter who? Never heard of him. And he only had a minor role in our campaign."
He does have a very Soviet style approach to his personal history. Paul Manfort who? Is coming next.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 06:39 AM   #478
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He does have a very Soviet style approach to his personal history. Paul Manfort who? Is coming next.

I think that was the joke... they played the "Manafort who?" card last week.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 08:02 AM   #479
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Hello...
Source: Carter Page isn't the only Trump campaign ally who was the subject of a FISA warrant. A second target was recorded also. Tick tock..
Old 12th April 2017, 11:38 AM   #480
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Tillerson/Russian counterpart press conference: Pretty interesting.

Both gave Russia an out throwing Assad under the bus for the chemical bombs.

Russian counterpart notes that the US wasn't going after Al Nusra, that's why Russia is bombing Assad enemies the US considered allies.

Both agree fighting ISIL is a higher priority than Assad.

Russia denies the email hacks, Tillerson says the US has enough evidence.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics