IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 12th April 2017, 12:21 PM   #481
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Tillerson/Russian counterpart press conference: Pretty interesting.

Both gave Russia an out throwing Assad under the bus for the chemical bombs.

Russian counterpart notes that the US wasn't going after Al Nusra, that's why Russia is bombing Assad enemies the US considered allies.

Both agree fighting ISIL is a higher priority than Assad.

Russia denies the email hacks, Tillerson says the US has enough evidence.
Didn't quite finish watching it, but then forgot to follow up. Interesting; this is the drift I was sensing but was not sure of.
Old 12th April 2017, 12:28 PM   #482
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Tillerson/Russian counterpart press conference: Pretty interesting.

Both gave Russia an out throwing Assad under the bus for the chemical bombs.

Russian counterpart notes that the US wasn't going after Al Nusra, that's why Russia is bombing Assad enemies the US considered allies.

Both agree fighting ISIL is a higher priority than Assad.

Russia denies the email hacks, Tillerson says the US has enough evidence.

Interesting

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th April 2017, 12:34 PM   #483
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

From the AP:
BREAKING: Spokesman says former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort is registering with US gov't as foreign agent.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 06:49 AM   #484
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Carter Page tells me he can't guarantee he did not discuss easing of sanctions w Russian contacts; “Let’s see what the FISA transcripts say”
Yes, let's.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 08:38 AM   #485
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Quote:

Translation;
"I want to find out what they've got me down cold for, before I screw up and admit to something they don't know about yet."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 08:48 AM   #486
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

British spies were first to spot Trump team's links with Russia in 2015.

Quote:
Britain’s spy agencies played a crucial role in alerting their counterparts in Washington to contacts between members of Donald Trump’s campaign team and Russian intelligence operatives, the Guardian has been told.

GCHQ first became aware in late 2015 of suspicious “interactions” between figures connected to Trump and known or suspected Russian agents, a source close to UK intelligence said. This intelligence was passed to the US as part of a routine exchange of information, they added.

Over the next six months, until summer 2016, a number of western agencies shared further information on contacts between Trump’s inner circle and Russians, sources said.

The European countries that passed on electronic intelligence – known as sigint – included Germany, Estonia and Poland. Australia, a member of the “Five Eyes” spying alliance that also includes the US, UK, Canada and New Zealand, also relayed material, one source said.
Old 13th April 2017, 09:38 AM   #487
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Juicy! From your link:
Quote:
European allies were supplying information about people close to Trump meeting with Russians in Britain, the Netherlands and in other countries, the Times said. There are now multiple investigations going on in Washington into Trump campaign officials and Russia. They include the FBI-led counter-espionage investigation and probes by both the House and Senate intelligence committees. Adam Schiff, the senior Democrat on the House committee, has expressed an interest in hearing from Christopher Steele, the former MI6 officer whose dossier accuses the president of long-term cooperation with Vladimir Putin’s Moscow. Trump and Putin have both dismissed the dossier as fake. One source suggested the official investigation was making progress. “They now have specific concrete and corroborative evidence of collusion,” the source said. “This is between people in the Trump campaign and agents of [Russian] influence relating to the use of hacked material.”
Old 13th April 2017, 05:05 PM   #488
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Juicy! From your link:
Um...But Killary is evil!
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 01:18 AM   #489
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I suspect that Trump thinks that Putin served his purpose in helping to get him elected, and now Putin's support has become a polticial liability,and it's time to dump him.
I got a feeling that Putin is now thinking that old saying "I bought the guy fair and square, but the SOB would not stay bought!".

How did Putin help Trump get elected?
Old 15th April 2017, 02:34 AM   #490
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
He didn't "get" Trump elected. He influenced the elections by attacking Clinton, which may have had something to do with Trump's win, and Trump may have known and collaborated with him. If true, that's treason.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 03:45 AM   #491
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
He didn't "get" Trump elected. He influenced the elections by attacking Clinton, which may have had something to do with Trump's win, and Trump may have known and collaborated with him. If true, that's treason.
Ha ha! Politicians attacking each other!* That's unheard of. It's an outrage!

And, as we all know, the US has never attempted to influence the outcome of an election anywhere in the world and certainly not a Russian one.

Let's go to war!

[/SARCASM]

Get a grip on reality, folks!

* BTW: Please provide an example of Putin attacking Hillary Clinton before the election.

'Stephen Cohen: This is Most Dangerous Moment in U.S.-Russian Relations Since Cuban Missile Crisis':

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by JihadJane; 15th April 2017 at 04:35 AM.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 07:22 AM   #492
NoahFence
Banned

I suppose Trump pointing right to the camera and telling Russia to do what they did is just hearsay?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 06:30 AM   #493
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Russia hacking the DNC and releasing their findings to Wikileaks in order to swing the election to Trump is just like one politician attacking another?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 06:47 AM   #494
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And, as we all know, the US has never attempted to influence the outcome of an election anywhere in the world and certainly not a Russian one.

Let's go to war!

[/SARCASM]

Get a grip on reality, folks!

* BTW: Please provide an example of Putin attacking Hillary Clinton before the election.

'Stephen Cohen: This is Most Dangerous Moment in U.S.-Russian Relations Since Cuban Missile Crisis':

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Manboobs didn't write an op ed here; he used his intelligence services to hack an election and release the information through a proxy.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 11:19 AM   #495
mgidm86
Philosopher

Lose the "ifs" and "may haves" and you'll have an argument.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Manboobs didn't write an op ed here; he used his intelligence services to hack an election and release the information through a proxy.
Perhaps. Perhaps he sat home and ate pizza.
Old 16th April 2017, 12:54 PM   #496
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hacking into the DNC emails then dripping them out at convenient times, for one. We don't know yet if they did more than that.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 02:56 AM   #497
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm sure you think that's an accurate representation of what I said, but you'd be wrong.

We're not talking about standard political stuff, here. An ad paid by Trump to attack Clinton, for example. We're talking about what is essentially an enemy country favouring one candidate over the other, acting on that bias, and being helped by that candidate and his team. How is that not treason?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 02:57 AM   #498
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Lose the "ifs" and "may haves" and you'll have an argument.
Why would I write my post to sound more certain than I am right now?

Old 17th April 2017, 11:34 AM   #499
JihadJane
not a camel

I'm sure you think that's an accurate representation of what I said, but you'd be wrong.

We're not talking about standard political stuff, here. An ad paid by Trump to attack Clinton, for example. We're talking about what is essentially an enemy country favouring one candidate over the other, acting on that bias, and being helped by that candidate and his team. How is that not treason?
In what way Russia is an enemy of the United States of America?

By definition, it is not possible for one country to commit an act of treason (the crime of betraying one's country) against another country.

How did Putin act on his alleged bias? How did Putin help Trump and his team? Real-life examples, please.

I look forward to seeing actual examples of Putin attacking Clinton before the election or favouring Trump over Clinton. Maybe you can provide some but bear in mind that Clinton's pre-election stance was explicitly anti-Russian, while Trump said he was not seeking conflict with Russia.

Last edited by JihadJane; 17th April 2017 at 11:36 AM.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 11:38 AM   #500
JihadJane
not a camel

Hacking into the DNC emails then dripping them out at convenient times, for one. We don't know yet if they did more than that.
No, we do not know that Putin hacked into DNC emails and dripped them out at convenient times. Please provide the evidence that leads you to believe otherwise.

Last edited by JihadJane; 17th April 2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 17th April 2017, 11:39 AM   #501
JihadJane
not a camel

Why would I write my post to sound more certain than I am right now?

Although you have yet to substantiate the assertion, you appear to be certain that Putin influenced the elections by attacking Clinton.

Last edited by JihadJane; 17th April 2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 17th April 2017, 01:04 PM   #502
Belz...
Fiend God

Well, trying to undermine NATO and the US and expand their power base in the east at the expense of them counts, I think.

Quote:
By definition, it is not possible for one country to commit an act of treason (the crime of betraying one's country) against another country.
I'm talking about Americans acting against their country by helping Russia undermine it.

Quote:
How did Putin act on his alleged bias? How did Putin help Trump and his team? Real-life examples, please.
You can't possibly be this ignorant. We're talking about the DNC hacking to influence the elections and get people with Russian ties into the White House. How is this not acting on Putin's anti-Clinton bias?

Quote:
Although you have yet to substantiate the assertion, you appear to be certain that Putin influenced the elections by attacking Clinton.
I'm reasonably certain because, unlike you, my opinions are not based on political ideology.

Old 17th April 2017, 01:28 PM   #503
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No, we do not know that Putin hacked into DNC emails and dripped them out at convenient times. Please provide the evidence that leads you to believe otherwise.
Seriously, have you not kept up on this matter?

CIA concludes Russia interfered to help Trump win election, say reports
Quote:
Agency reportedly believes individuals acting for Moscow hacked Democrat party emails and gave them to WikiLeaks
Reuters, The NYT and the WA Post all reported sources who revealed this was the CIA's conclusion.
Quote:
A secret CIA assessment found that Russian operatives covertly interfered in the election campaign in an attempt to ensure the Republican candidate’s victory, the Washington Post reported, citing officials briefed on the matter.

A separate report in the New York Times said intelligence officials had a “high confidence” that Russia was involved in hacking related to the election....

A separate report in the New York Times, also sourced to unnamed officials, claimed US intelligence agencies had discovered that Russian hackers had also penetrated the Republican National Committee’s networks, but conspicuously chose to release only the information stolen from the Democrats.

A third report, by Reuters, said intelligence agencies assessed that as the campaign drew on, Russian government officials devoted increasing attention to assisting Trump’s effort to win the election. Virtually all the emails they released publicly were potentially damaging to Clinton and the Democrats, the official told Reuters.
You can choose to not believe these three separate corroborating reports. I choose to believe it. It's not like any official CIA report released to the public has any more cred than good investigative reporter sources.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 02:17 PM   #504
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Let's take a look here.

Quote:
Intel report: Putin directly ordered effort to influence election

Washington (CNN)The US intelligence community concluded in a declassified report released Friday that Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an "influence campaign" aimed at hurting Hillary Clinton and helping Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election.

The campaign -- which consisted of hacking Democratic groups and individuals, including Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta, and releasing that information via third-party websites, including WikiLeaks -- amounted to what the intelligence report called "a significant escalation" in longtime Russian efforts to undermine "the US-led liberal democratic order."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/06/politi...utin-election/
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 02:22 PM   #505
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Why do you think Russia has been testing our air defenses and buzzing our naval vessels? One of my chapters has ties to the 477th Fighter Group, which has been intercepting Russian bombers with their F-22 Raptors. The F-22 in the following picture is from the 477th Fighter Group, 302nd Fighter Squadron.

Last edited by skyeagle409; 17th April 2017 at 02:30 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 12:04 AM   #506
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Why do you think Russia has been testing our air defenses and buzzing our naval vessels? One of my chapters has ties to the 477th Fighter Group, which has been intercepting Russian bombers with their F-22 Raptors. The F-22 in the following picture is from the 477th Fighter Group, 302nd Fighter Squadron.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-22_Raptor.jpg
Self-defense.
Old 18th April 2017, 12:10 AM   #507
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Let's take a look here.
"With high confidence" is not evidence. It's speculation.
Old 18th April 2017, 12:12 AM   #508
JihadJane
not a camel

Seriously, have you not kept up on this matter?

CIA concludes Russia interfered to help Trump win election, say reports

Reuters, The NYT and the WA Post all reported sources who revealed this was the CIA's conclusion.You can choose to not believe these three separate corroborating reports. I choose to believe it. It's not like any official CIA report released to the public has any more cred than good investigative reporter sources.
Why do you believe the CIA?
Old 18th April 2017, 12:17 AM   #509
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why do you believe the CIA?
Not the CIA, multiple leakers within their ranks.

But what's your alternative?
Old 18th April 2017, 12:35 AM   #510
JihadJane
not a camel

Well, trying to undermine NATO and the US and expand their power base in the east at the expense of them counts, I think.
How is Putin "trying to expand its power base in the east".?

I'm talking about Americans acting against their country by helping Russia undermine it.
OK

You can't possibly be this ignorant. We're talking about the DNC hacking to influence the elections and get people with Russian ties into the White House. How is this not acting on Putin's anti-Clinton bias?
The ignorance is yours. There is no evidence that Putin hacked into the DNC. How did Putin get "people with Russian ties into the White House"?

I'm reasonably certain because, unlike you, my opinions are not based on political ideology.
Look in the mirror, my friend. What is your reasonable certainty based on?

Last edited by JihadJane; 18th April 2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 18th April 2017, 03:11 AM   #511
Belz...
Fiend God

How is Putin "trying to expand its power base in the east".?
Did you miss the whole Ukraine invasion thing?

I don't believe for a second that you're so ignorant of world events.

Quote:
The ignorance is yours. There is no evidence that Putin hacked into the DNC.
You're the one who ignores the evidence, and then you say that the ignorance is mine? Beautiful.

Quote:
How did Putin get "people with Russian ties into the White House"?
This isn't skeptical inquiry. This is a ten year-old asking "why" endlessly.

If you influence US elections to favour the guy who has ties to you, and he puts other people who have ties to you into his cabinet, then you have "gotten people with Russian tiest into the White House". Stop pretending to understand or know none of this.

Quote:
Look in the mirror, my friend. What is your reasonable certainty based on?
Evidence.

Old 18th April 2017, 03:41 AM   #512
TofuFighter
Illuminator

There is no evidence that Putin hacked into the DNC.
(my bolding)
Why are you so sure of this?
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 04:06 AM   #513
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Well certainly Putin himself certainly didn't hack anyone. He just ordered to have it done. Because he hates Hillary Clinton and believed Donald Trump would be his bitch.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 07:58 AM   #514
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There's a perfectly good Trump + Russia thread. How about we take this off-topic discussion there?
Old 18th April 2017, 08:00 AM   #515
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

From the Syria missles wag the dog thread, in hopes of getting off topic discussion moved here:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Well certainly Putin himself certainly didn't hack anyone. He just ordered to have it done. Because he hates Hillary Clinton and believed Donald Trump would be his bitch.
He probably didn't even expect Trump to be his bitch, just the destabilization of the US government is an advantage to him.
Old 18th April 2017, 08:12 AM   #516
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

The alternative is to not believe anything the CIA or any one else in power tells you, particularly when they are trying to start a war.
What's your evidence anyone is trying to start a war? Can all criticisms of any country be dismissed because you think they're trying to start a war?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 08:53 AM   #517
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There is no evidence that Putin hacked into the DNC.
Seriously? That's your conclusion?

How did Putin get "people with Russian ties into the White House"?
Are you unaware of Tillerson's connections to Putin?
Old 18th April 2017, 08:54 AM   #518
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
There's a perfectly good Trump + Russia thread. How about we take this off-topic discussion there?
I agree.
Old 18th April 2017, 09:05 AM   #519
NoahFence
Banned

Seriously? That's your conclusion?

Are you unaware of Tillerson's connections to Putin?
Come on. It's not like Putin gave him a medal or anything.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th April 2017, 09:27 AM   #520
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Self-defense.

That is what an enemy would do and the Russians were doing it during the Cold War as well.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics