IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 14th July 2017, 02:00 PM   #3481
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
OK, so the "we don't KNOW she has any connection to the Russian government" defense just got laughed away.
It also explains why a British national might confuse her with the person she was in contact with and refer to her as a Crown Prosecutor, a position that doesn't exist in Russia but does in the UK.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 02:05 PM   #3482
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
The defence of trump junior has basically become 'he would have colluded with a foreigner to affect the outcome of the election but the foreigner didn't have the info he wanted'. Like trying to argue you weren't trying to buy cocaine because all the dealer really had was powdered sugar.
And an irrelevant defense anyway.
The law in question includes 'solicitation' of material support, not just receiving it.
Old 14th July 2017, 02:11 PM   #3483
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
There's one for the archives when this mess gets recorded in history: Shep Smith smacks FoxNews viewers with a clue bat and says, "And there are still people out there who think we're making it up, and one day they're gonna realize we're not."
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 02:25 PM   #3484
C_Felix
Master Poster

This prompted me to check the main article over at Fox.

I was not disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fox.jpg (109.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 14th July 2017, 02:50 PM   #3485
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
And an irrelevant defense anyway.
The law in question includes 'solicitation' of material support, not just receiving it.
Yeah but crazy liberals are still inferring the information was perceived as a "thing of value" simply because the meeting was taken by the campaign chairman, corporate executive son of the candidate, and senior adviser son-in-law.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 03:09 PM   #3486
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Yeah but crazy liberals are still inferring the information was perceived as a "thing of value" simply because the meeting was taken by the campaign chairman, corporate executive son of the candidate, and senior adviser son-in-law.
Right, potentially having more effect than many millions spent on TV ads doesn't make it a "thing of value" -- just something "most people would have taken."
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 03:23 PM   #3487
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I love how the "defend Trump at any cost" narrative has now done a undisclosed u-turn.

Before it was about how there hasn't been any collusion at all and that anyone who suggests there was is a crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist who's just upset Trump won.

Now it's that colluding with Russian agents of influence isn't a big deal and that everyone would do it while steadfastly claiming they never ever did do it. Besides Russia is Americas best friend in the struggle against liberalism and freedom.
That sort of thing is pretty bog standard, when you think about it.

"No, I didn't do it. But even if I had, there's nothing wrong with that. And even if there was, in this case it'd be different. But I didn't do it."

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 03:23 PM   #3488
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Jared revised his SF-86 three times to add over 100 names of individuals he had contacts with but forgot to include the Russian lobbyist/former intel officer. It seems like that will not end well for him.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 03:43 PM   #3489
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Jared revised his SF-86 three times to add over 100 names of individuals he had contacts with but forgot to include the Russian lobbyist/former intel officer. It seems like that will not end well for him.
From what I understand, only the president can revoke his security clearance, and the White House won't even say what the current status is. Democrats tried to add amendments to two bills to force revocation, but Republicans voted them down as a "political stunt." So I suppose compromised liar Kushner will continue to have access to the most classified intel, unless and until Mueller indicts him.

I wonder if he ever got that secret back-channel to Russia established.
Old 14th July 2017, 03:57 PM   #3490
Belz...
Fiend God

I think poor Shep's had his fill.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 04:00 PM   #3491
skyeagle409
Master Poster

All hell is breaking loose at the White House and it is mind-boggling to turn on the news the next day and the breaking news continues. I thought that I would never see anything as bad as the Watergate scandal ever again but it looks like I was wrong. Eventually a movie was made of the Watergate scandal titled: "All the President's Men."

I wonder if Alex Baldwin is going to play Trump of the current scandal in a Hollywood movie yet to named after this mess is over!

Last edited by skyeagle409; 14th July 2017 at 04:01 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 04:07 PM   #3492
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
All hell is breaking loose at the White House and it is mind-boggling to turn on the news the next day and the breaking news continues. I thought that I would never see anything as bad as the Watergate scandal ever again but it looks like I was wrong. Eventually a movie was made of the Watergate scandal titled: "All the President's Men."

I wonder if Alex Baldwin is going to play Trump of the current scandal in a Hollywood movie yet to named after this mess is over!
Would Trump sue for slander or for copyright infringement?
Old 14th July 2017, 04:45 PM   #3493
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Would Trump sue for slander or for copyright infringement?
I believe satire falls under Fair Use.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 05:15 PM   #3494
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

I love how the "defend Trump at any cost" narrative has now done a undisclosed u-turn.

Before it was about how there hasn't been any collusion at all and that anyone who suggests there was is a crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist who's just upset Trump won.

Now it's that colluding with Russian agents of influence isn't a big deal and that everyone would do it while steadfastly claiming they never ever did do it. Besides Russia is Americas best friend in the struggle against liberalism and freedom.

It's pretty similar to the evolution of the anti-AGW argument.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 06:44 PM   #3495
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

At best, Donkey Don Jr. falls into the latter category. Most likely, his father does as well.
Lol
Wishing it doesn't actually get you there.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 06:45 PM   #3496
logger
Banned

Which Russian agent were they colluding with again?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 06:46 PM   #3497
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post

Watergate doesn't come close to the speed or the insanity of this scandal. But it still doesn't seem to matter to the Republican party. At what point do people come to the obvious conclusion that Trump has been in bed with the Russians since almost day one?

Watergate was drip drip drip for 16 months, Trump has been in office for 6 months and everyone seems to have been involved with the Russians and lying about it. It as long crystallizes that their was nothing innocent about Trump’s obstruction of justice. The only question earlier about that was Trump's intent. There is NONE now.
Old 14th July 2017, 06:48 PM   #3498
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Which Russian agent were they colluding with again?
Denialsky and Brushoff.

Old 14th July 2017, 06:50 PM   #3499
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Watergate doesn't come close to the speed or the insanity of this scandal. But it still doesn't seem to matter to the Republican party. At what point do people come to the obvious conclusion that Trump has been in bed with the Russians since almost day one?

Watergate was drip drip drip for 16 months, Trump has been in office for 6 months and everyone seems to have been involved with the Russians and lying about it. It as long crystallizes that their was nothing innocent about Trump’s obstruction of justice. The only question earlier about that was Trump's intent. There is NONE now.
They're still in the denial phase of grief.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 06:50 PM   #3500
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't Mueller have him dead to rights on obstruction of justice now?

Quote:
Donald Trump has said he was thinking of “this Russia thing” when he decided James Comey’s fate – contradicting the White House rationale that he fired the FBI director for mishandling the Clinton email investigation.
Old 14th July 2017, 06:51 PM   #3501
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post

That looks like, and to my reading of the law very much is, illegal. Besides that, it's also wrong. It's also another gargantuan lie by the Trump camp ('no one met with the Russians'). Kushner needs his clearance revoked at an absolute minimum.
Lol
You'll have to show us why it was illegal. More importantly you'll have to show us why it was wrong. I'm sure your side would never meet with any foreigner who claimed to have dirt on Trump.
Quote:
I'm entirely surprised unsurprised by the conservative/Republican spinelessness and covering for this. The election showed me I gave them entirely too much credit in the first place. They will not act on even clear information.

EDIT: Opps, see strikeout.
Lol
Yeah so clear, if you think talking to another foreigner about a presidential candidate is somehow illegal, youve got some interesting ideas about right and wrong.
Old 14th July 2017, 06:52 PM   #3502
logger
Banned

Lol

Yeah sure, heaven forbid he has to reasons for firing that fool.
Old 14th July 2017, 06:54 PM   #3503
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Denialsky and Brushoff.
That's what I thought you'd say. How about nothinburgerolov?
Old 14th July 2017, 06:58 PM   #3504
logger
Banned

Lol
Maybe when actual proof is offered of Trump colluding over hillarys emails on their timed release for the election? Any thing else is just our new found friends helping us defeat the enemy left?
[/quote]
Watergate was drip drip drip for 16 months, Trump has been in office for 6 months and everyone seems to have been involved with the Russians and lying about it. It as long crystallizes that their was nothing innocent about Trump’s obstruction of justice. The only question earlier about that was Trump's intent. There is NONE now.[/quote]
What will be interesting is how deep the left is with Russia. The left is unusually good at stepping in ******
Old 14th July 2017, 07:06 PM   #3505
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Lol
Maybe when actual proof is offered of Trump colluding over hillarys emails on their timed release for the election? Any thing else is just our new found friends helping us defeat the enemy left?
What will be interesting is how deep the left is with Russia. The left is unusually good at stepping in ******
Delusion and Denial is strong with this one Obi Wan.

Last edited by acbytesla; 14th July 2017 at 07:13 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 07:18 PM   #3506
NoahFence
Banned

That's what I thought you'd say. How about nothinburgerolov?
Donnie is going down and taking all his sycophants with him.

Because of emails.

HAHA
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 07:19 PM   #3507
logger
Banned

Delusion and Denial is strong with this one Obi Wan.
Just go ahead and show the proof, personally attacking me doesn't make your argument of obvious collusion. Another reason this has gotten this far is the left is so deeply invested in this now. Its going to be fun once again watching them go through the five stages of grief.
Old 14th July 2017, 07:43 PM   #3508
NoahFence
Banned

Just go ahead and show the proof, personally attacking me doesn't make your argument of obvious collusion. Another reason this has gotten this far is the left is so deeply invested in this now. Its going to be fun once again watching them go through the five stages of grief.
So you're really just going to ignore the email Donnie Jr. released?

Welcome back

NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 07:46 PM   #3509
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The proof has been on the news day after day. There is Trump saying to Lester Holt, that he fired Comey because of the Russia investigation. There has been lie after lie after lie told by Kushner, Flynn, Manafort, Sessions, Donald Sr and now Jr. There are Jr.'s emails. There are Trump's request of the Intelligence agencies to push back against the Russia investigation. There is no question that Trump fired Comey because he was afraid this boy scout would do his job. That is OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE. It's TEXTBOOK.

Now you can bury your head in the sand and refuse to accept this. That doesn't surprise me one bit. Trump has been non-stop lying from day one and you've been right there ignoring every single lie.

Trump was right about one thing though. He could shoot someone in broad daylight in Midtown Manhattan and he wouldn't lose his supporters. Apparently joining forces with Putin to win an election doesn't matter either.

Last edited by acbytesla; 14th July 2017 at 07:47 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 08:00 PM   #3510
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Welcome back, logger, but have you been in a cave all this time? You need to catch up; the wheels are coming off the Trump wagon, and smart betting says it's going to get worse.
Old 14th July 2017, 09:48 PM   #3511
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Lol
You'll have to show us why it was illegal. More importantly you'll have to show us why it was wrong. I'm sure your side would never meet with any foreigner who claimed to have dirt on Trump.

Lol
Yeah so clear, if you think talking to another foreigner about a presidential candidate is somehow illegal, youve got some interesting ideas about right and wrong.
They were soliciting the product of the Russian Government's labor, which really seems to be a violation of the Logan Act. Obviously Russia thinks it's a thing of value, and so did Trump's campaign. If you think the strawman that everyone is upset about 'just talking' is plausible, then you need better news sources than propaganda and echo chambers.

And I have to show why conspiring with Russia to manipulate a US Presidential election is wrong? It's damn wrong if you're even a little bit caring about the US, but I guess that leaves out Trump. The dupes caring his water though, well, they're really in the wrong. They're supposed to care about the US and its values. They don't.

Hypothetical tu quoque noted.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 10:46 PM   #3512
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
"Nothing Burgers"- a false diet food. Studies have proven them to be rich, full of facts, substantial, and meaty despite attempts by some marketers to sell them to the ignorant as as lacking calories.
It keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. The Russian lawyer Trump Jr., Manafort and Kushner met with who was offering dirt on Hillary was also the lawyer representing a Russian real estate company that had laundered 230 million dollars. What makes it interesting is the Trump Justice department suddenly settled the case in May for 6 million dollars. This is an absurdly low fine of 2.9 percent.

Yeah, one big nothing burger.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:00 PM   #3513
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
That's heartbreaking.
Okay.

And so we're back to the actual issue - but Toupee Fiasco work with Putin to sway the US elections?

As of now, it seems that he did.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 11:14 PM   #3514
Childlike Empress
Banned

Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2017, 11:26 PM   #3515
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
That's one.
Old 15th July 2017, 06:42 AM   #3516
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod InfoThread was getting too long. Please continue the discussion in this thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post11920906
Posted By:Darat
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics