ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th November 2016, 08:51 AM   #1
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Massive Wave of Hate Crimes against minorities follows Trump election.

Trump supporters "celebrate" with physical violence, vandalism, and racist bullying, even by school children.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1352NO

http://usuncut.com/news/trump-suppor...an-california/

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/201...mp-win-n681936

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7410166.html

http://abc7.com/news/students-chant-...mates/1600899/

http://www.commondreams.org/news/201...trumps-america
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 08:59 AM   #2
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Geeze... didn't see that coming.
Old 11th November 2016, 09:27 AM   #3
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Far be it for me to defend Trump supporters, but this appears to be a gross exaggeration. There have been several incidents, not a massive wave.

It's incredbly misleading to post a list of links which reference the same few incidents. Weak.
Old 11th November 2016, 09:39 AM   #4
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Far be it for me to defend Trump supporters, but this appears to be a gross exaggeration. There have been several incidents, not a massive wave.

It's incredbly misleading to post a list of links which reference the same few incidents. Weak.
Baby steps.

As soon as this behavior becomes the law, we can say hey! We noticed this at the beginning!
Old 11th November 2016, 10:23 AM   #5
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Baby steps.

As soon as this behavior becomes the law, we can say hey! We noticed this at the beginning!
Irrational tripe.

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 10:24 AM   #6
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

It's incredibly misleading to post a list of links which reference the same few incidents. Weak.
A proper skeptic should come to the same conclusion; until the proper data is available to prove otherwise.

It'll be interesting to see how the FBI's Hate crime statistics compare to previous years. Unfortunately it'll take a a year before that information is available and I fear that since Trump's Administration will have dominion over the FBI, that this information may not be easily available. If the information showed a decrease in Hate Crime, they'd release it; however, if it showed the opposite, they would be motivated to hold it close to their vest.

A slight increase in violent crime in 2015 & 2015 didn't surprise me because of the many riots that made national news. Violent begets more violence.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 10:25 AM   #7
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Irrational tripe.
Yep. Totally irrational to imagine a person who has cozied up with hate groups and the alt-right will wind up with discriminatory laws.

I'm a maverick like that.
Old 11th November 2016, 10:36 AM   #8
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
I think you'll need to put together a better argument (or even any argument whatsoever) before claiming that a "Massive Wave of Hate Crimes against minorities follows Trump election." For all we know from what you presented, hate crimes against minorities could have gone down since Trump was elected, or these attacks could just be more fakes of which we've already seen in the last couple of days.

Critical thinking failure.
Old 11th November 2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Thanks. I knew the UnCut story was less than credible but I was too tired to address this BS last night.

I'm guessing some Macedonian teens are eating it up though.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 11:31 AM   #10
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Irrational tripe.
And some here gobble it up willingly
Old 11th November 2016, 02:08 PM   #11
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Massive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLaQjKQc6Ww
Old 11th November 2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Anecdotal, but among my own friends they are saying that what used to be a reliable several times a month/once a week or so 'fact of life' for them has become several incidents in just the past few days, many of them complete with some reference to Trump or "the way things are now."
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 02:54 PM   #13
Caper
Philosopher

I say at least half of what you will read will be made up. This was an obvious case.
http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/...8.html?reload3

And the other side of this. I predict almost all hate crimes because of this will be attacks on whites. As in this.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=797_1478860868
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 02:58 PM   #14
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, lot of fake ones out there.

The LGBTZ who cried wolf.
Old 11th November 2016, 03:07 PM   #15
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
I say at least half of what you will read will be made up. This was an obvious case.

And the other side of this. I predict almost all hate crimes because of this will be attacks on whites. As in this.
Already determined not to be a hate crime or politically-motivated by the police investigating the incident. Try to do a little homework before posting.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 03:14 PM   #16
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Already determined not to be a hate crime or politically-motivated by the police investigating the incident. Try to do a little homework before posting.
Oh no. It's racial. It might have stemmed from a traffic accident. But takes no time to get very racial and political. They were out for some revenge.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 03:16 PM   #17
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Yeah, lot of fake ones out there.

The LGBTZ who cried wolf.
Glad to see y'all doing your part to bring America back together. Thanks for your compassion.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 03:20 PM   #18
Caper
Philosopher

Small Child gets beaten to the point of crutches for voting Trump in mock election.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIZ6gWKAtdA
Old 11th November 2016, 03:24 PM   #19
Caper
Philosopher

Young girl supports Donald Trump and gets attacked. Probably a little racial motivation as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJenokrmb4
Old 11th November 2016, 03:28 PM   #20
johnny karate

Oh no. It's racial. It might have stemmed from a traffic accident. But takes no time to get very racial and political. They were out for some revenge.
You should contact the Chicago police and let them know you disagree with their report. I'm sure they'd appreciate your insight.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 03:38 PM   #21
johnny karate

Young girl supports Donald Trump and gets attacked. Probably a little racial motivation as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJenokrmb4
In the space of a few posts, you've dismissed out of hand claims of violent attacks by Trump supporters and uncritically accepted a claim of a violent attack by someone who is anti-Trump.

Well done. You're a credit to this forum and critical thinkers everywhere.
Old 11th November 2016, 03:38 PM   #22
p0lka
Muse

Cherrypicking always gets you the results you want.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 03:38 PM   #23
Caper
Philosopher

You should contact the Chicago police and let them know you disagree with their report. I'm sure they'd appreciate your insight.
Already did. They didn't care.
Old 11th November 2016, 03:42 PM   #24
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
Glad to see y'all doing your part to bring America back together. Thanks for your compassion.
You are a credit skpticism.
Old 11th November 2016, 03:43 PM   #25
Caper
Philosopher

Black child votes Trump in mock election. Mother subjects him to humiliation.
http://www.tmz.com/2016/11/11/mom-ki...-donald-trump/
Old 11th November 2016, 03:47 PM   #26
Caper
Philosopher

Thugs protesting Donald Trump attack mans dog.
http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2016/11...protest-photo/
Old 11th November 2016, 03:59 PM   #27
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

My cousin, born of white British parents, lives two streets away from the house where she was born in the south of England, got called a "wetback" on facebook by someone she has never heard of or befriended because her profile mentions the year she spent studying in Mexico. Brexit made racism acceptable but electing Trump made racism preferable. And we must stand up and say that judging people by ethnicity is neither preferable nor acceptable. We must challenge the people who seek to divide us.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 04:07 PM   #28
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

So far all I've seen is violence from Clinton supporters.

What exactly are they protesting? Maybe we should give them a participation award so they don't feel bad for losing. (and a nice big hug)

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 11th November 2016 at 04:12 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 04:14 PM   #29
C_Felix
Master Poster

This is what the undercurrent of the Trump movement seems to be; some might feel they have been given a free ride with respect to racism and discrimination.
Old 11th November 2016, 04:17 PM   #30
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Cherrypicking always gets you the results you want.
Indeed - Cherry picking should not be started...
Old 11th November 2016, 04:21 PM   #31
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
So far all I've seen is violence from Clinton supporters.

What exactly are they protesting? Maybe we should give them a participation award so they don't feel bad for losing. (and a nice big hug)
Maybe for some people, there was more at stake in this election than the horse race.

Maybe if you actually cared what the answer to your question is, you'd look into it instead of just tossing out degrading presumptions.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 04:24 PM   #32
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
This is what the undercurrent of the Trump movement seems to be; some might feel they have been given a free ride with respect to racism and discrimination.
I'm not seeing this. I will say I think some see it as relaxing the overbearing "political correctness" that has taken over lately.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 04:29 PM   #33
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Maybe for some people, there was more at stake in this election than the horse race.

Maybe if you actually cared what the answer to your question is, you'd look into it instead of just tossing out degrading presumptions.
What makes you think I don't care?

What do you actually know about me? DGM the person.

I'll give you a start. I'm a self employed construction worker that owns his own company. I'm 57 years old.

As a bonus clue, Today I finished siding the end gable of an addition 26' up a ladder. I don't want to guess how many times up and down.

Last edited by DGM; 11th November 2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11th November 2016, 04:32 PM   #34
johnny karate

Black child votes Trump in mock election. Mother subjects him to humiliation.
http://www.tmz.com/2016/11/11/mom-ki...-donald-trump/
Thugs protesting Donald Trump attack mans dog.
http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2016/11...protest-photo/
Poster on skeptic's forum gets whiplash from sudden change in required standard of evidence.
Old 11th November 2016, 04:34 PM   #35
johnny karate

I'm not seeing this. I will say I think some see it as relaxing the overbearing "political correctness" that has taken over lately.
I'm sure this will be the theme at the various parades and celebrations the KKK will be holding.
Old 11th November 2016, 04:37 PM   #36
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I'm sure this will be the theme at the various parades and celebrations the KKK will be holding.
Will you be attending?

Old 11th November 2016, 04:52 PM   #37
johnny karate

Will you be attending?
Why would I attend a KKK event? Also, I don't understand what that emoji is supposed to mean in this context. Could you please explain?
Old 11th November 2016, 04:57 PM   #38
C_Felix
Master Poster

Why would I attend a KKK event? Also, I don't understand what that emoji is supposed to mean in this context. Could you please explain?
You have a chance to attend one:

http://kdvr.com/2016/11/11/ku-klux-k...orth-carolina/
Old 11th November 2016, 04:59 PM   #39
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

^^
Old 11th November 2016, 05:00 PM   #40
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

What makes you think I don't care?

What do you actually know about me? DGM the person.

I'll give you a start. I'm a self employed construction worker that owns his own company. I'm 57 years old.

As a bonus clue, Today I finished siding the end gable of an addition 26' up a ladder. I don't want to guess how many times up and down.
You don't work on the south shore do you? I need an addition.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events