ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th September 2017, 05:49 AM   #1441
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Was that Farther Guido Sarducci or was it Robin Williams?
I can clearly hear Sarducci saying it, between puffs on his cigarette, in my head, so I say Guido.

Last edited by Mike!; 9th September 2017 at 05:50 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2017, 06:05 AM   #1442
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I love that the windows will be deconsecrated. Seriously? I'm always astonished the crap people believe. Some other fatuous ass blessed the windows a while back and now they've got to do a reverse mumbo jumbo? Why not just excommunicate the original asshate who agreed to put the windows up and blessed them and have anything he ever said or did declared anathema to the holy doctrines of Episcopalia.
Maybe all the other things he did and said were absolutely spot on doctrinally, and the only thing he got wrong was consecrating these windows.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2017, 06:11 AM   #1443
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I can clearly hear Sarducci saying it, between puffs on his cigarette, in my head, so I say Guido.
I'm going to cede to pgw on this. It sure seems to me, now that he mentioned him, like a Robin Williams line.

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Maybe all the other things he did and said were absolutely spot on doctrinally, and the only thing he got wrong was consecrating these windows.
My general impression is that "their" correct doctrine, like all religious doctrine is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, so I can't see what being right according to The Big Book of Lies brings to the table.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2017, 06:48 AM   #1444
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
And consecrating slavery-supporting windows is not against Catholic doctrine, just like kiddy-fiddling is not.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2017, 07:49 AM   #1445
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I know Robin Williams said it, but can't say Guido Sarducci did not
Old 9th September 2017, 07:51 AM   #1446
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I'm going to cede to pgw on this. It sure seems to me, now that he mentioned him, like a Robin Williams line.
It is indeed.

http://www.dictionaryofchristianese....catholic-lite/

I stand corrected. Show me another right wing loon who can do that!
Old 9th September 2017, 08:34 AM   #1447
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
And consecrating slavery-supporting windows is not against Catholic doctrine, just like kiddy-fiddling is not.
Romanus PontifexWP ... is a papal bull written in 1454 by Pope Nicholas V to King Afonso V of Portugal ... Along with encouraging the seizure of the lands of Saracen Turks and non-Christians, it repeated the earlier bull's permission for the enslavement of such peoples.
... since we had formerly by other letters of ours granted among other things free and ample faculty to the aforesaid King Alfonso -- to invade, search out, capture, vanquish, and subdue all Saracens and pagans whatsoever, and other enemies of Christ wheresoever placed, and the kingdoms, dukedoms, principalities, dominions, possessions, and all movable and immovable goods whatsoever held and possessed by them and to reduce their persons to perpetual slavery ...
It was an early Papal response to the discovery of a practicable sea route to sub Saharan Africa.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 01:10 PM   #1448
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It is indeed.

http://www.dictionaryofchristianese....catholic-lite/

I stand corrected. Show me another right wing loon who can do that!
An an Episcopalian I often cited the 1/3 less guilt version of his Catholic lite joke. Also, the whiskeypaleans: when four of us gather, there will always be a fifth present.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 01:13 PM   #1449
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

This thread has taken an unexpected turn...
Old 12th September 2017, 01:14 PM   #1450
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Welcome to the ISF.

I hardly even look at the titles sometimes.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 01:27 PM   #1451
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Not me this time.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 01:32 PM   #1452
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Welcome to the ISF.

I hardly even look at the titles sometimes.

Beyond page 3 it's almost always diverted into some tangential minutia.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 01:39 PM   #1453
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Beyond page 3 it's almost always diverted into some tangential minutia.
Is that an oxymoron?

Old 13th September 2017, 07:39 AM   #1454
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

An an Episcopalian I often cited the 1/3 less guilt version of his Catholic lite joke.
That's why I said I couldn't rule out Fr Guido Sarducci saying it. I don't think it was necessary original with Robin Williams. I had a buddy in college who said that whatever religion he was was "catholic lite." He may have heard it from Robin Williams, but this was 30 years ago, so I don't know.
Old 14th September 2017, 07:43 AM   #1455
autumn1971
Master Poster

Is that an oxymoron?
I believe it's a tautology.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 07:59 AM   #1456
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I think it's neither; 'tangential' describes the relationship of the item to the subject under discussion, whereas 'minutia' describes its magnitude, so they're describing independent variables.

And that, my friends, is a tangential minutia.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 09:19 AM   #1457
d4m10n
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 10:52 AM   #1458
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I think it's neither; 'tangential' describes the relationship of the item to the subject under discussion, whereas 'minutia' describes its magnitude, so they're describing independent variables.

Dave
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I had to scroll up to see how we got here and I have to say I am quite proud of you guys. I may even commission a monument just to keep my post on topic.

Old 14th September 2017, 11:49 AM   #1459
d4m10n
Master Poster

One less confederate monument to vandalize...

And that, my son, is how we honor those who fought against the tangential minutiae for the sake of keeping the thread intact. #NeverForget
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 07:04 PM   #1460
autumn1971
Master Poster

And that, my son, is how we honor those who fought against the tangential minutiae for the sake of keeping the thread intact. #NeverForget
If these posts go to AAH the mods are erasing history.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 07:18 PM   #1461
Mike!

We should erect a monument.
Old 19th September 2017, 07:47 AM   #1462
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I had to scroll up to see how we got here and I have to say I am quite proud of you guys. I may even commission a monument just to keep my post on topic.
We should erect a monument.
Better do it quick, we seem to forget things after just a few posts.

Old 20th September 2017, 04:13 AM   #1463
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Better do it quick, we seem to forget things after just a few posts.
What were we talking about?
Old 20th September 2017, 04:26 AM   #1464
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Tangential minutiae.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 07:55 AM   #1465
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
#neverremember

Old 20th September 2017, 11:10 AM   #1466
Stacko
Philosopher

Robert E. Lee’s Own Church Votes To Take His Name Off It
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 02:29 PM   #1467
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Quote:
Robert E. Lee’s Own Church Votes To Take His Name Off It

Interesting that it was the culmination of a debate which had been going on in the church for two years. One which had been prompted by the massacre of nine people by a white supremacist at a black church in Charleston, SC.

I guess the Charlottesville thing just pushed them over the line.
Old 9th October 2017, 06:22 AM   #1468
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

FWIW
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 9th October 2017, 07:20 AM   #1469
Mike!

FWIW
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Well worth it!
Old 9th October 2017, 08:36 AM   #1470
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Well worth it!
What is it? We can't watch in the UK.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 08:49 AM   #1471
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Sorry, I didn't know. But, yes, worth it. The majority of it was information that has been presented throughout this thread, but the kicker was...

...in presenting suggestions for statues to replace the conservative monuments, the last one was Stephen Colbert, who was there in person, and who would stand in his hometown of <where ever that is> and talk about all the good things that have happened there.
Old 9th October 2017, 08:55 AM   #1472
Stacko
Philosopher

Sorry, I didn't know. But, yes, worth it. The majority of it was information that has been presented throughout this thread, but the kicker was...

...in presenting suggestions for statues to replace the conservative monuments, the last one was Stephen Colbert, who was there in person, and who would stand in his hometown of <where ever that is> and talk about all the good things that have happened there.
I thought the Jimmy Saville analogy was pretty good too. Once you learn something is horrible, you stop celebrating it; pretending the really bad parts don't exist doesn't work.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 09:00 AM   #1473
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I thought the Jimmy Saville analogy was pretty good too. Once you learn something is horrible, you stop celebrating it; pretending the really bad parts don't exist doesn't work.
(not entirely sure you can spoil something that happens right at the beginning of the video.)

Yes, that was a great comparison. I think it lacked some impact for me as I had never heard of the guy before.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:01 PM   #1474
Mumbles
Illuminator

FWIW
I AGREE
I saw this. And for some reason, I really enjoyed it, but I can't quite figure out why...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 12:17 PM   #1475
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Was coming here to post that. Well worth a watch.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2017, 01:48 PM   #1476
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I saw this. And for some reason, I really enjoyed it, but I can't quite figure out why...
How could one watch that and not think, 'Hey, look! It's Mumbles's avatar!"
Old 9th October 2017, 03:13 PM   #1477
Mike!

I'll say it every day until someone makes it come true, that thing is the star of a horror movie waiting to happen. It needs to come to life and start biting the heads off racist rednecks.
Old 9th October 2017, 06:12 PM   #1478
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post

Check out some VPNs. There are a fair number of free ones out there, both stand-alone and as add-ons for most common browsers. They'll let you use an IP address local to the service you are trying to view and bypass geographical constraints.
Old 9th October 2017, 06:21 PM   #1479
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

He grew up on James Island, a suburb of Charleston, South Carolina. When you sail out of Charleston harbor you can look at Fort Sumter. He might have been able to see it from where he lived.

If there is any one town steeped in revisionist Civil War hagiography that one would be near the top of the list.
Old 10th October 2017, 01:32 PM   #1480
Mumbles
Illuminator

Every time I see that awful statute, I can't help but to burst out laughing.

I am unable to can.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events