ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th September 2017, 12:41 PM   #1
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"There are two things I believe in. The First Amendment, and boobs."

"Neither has ever let me down."

I wasn't sure I heard that quite right, either. A guest commentator on CNN just said (in relation to the WH recommendation to fire the ESPN reporter who called The PDJT a racist), that "There are two things I believe in... The First Amendment, and boobs. They've never let me down."

This to anchor Brooke Baldwin. I could see the shock on her face and she actually let him and the other guest talk for a couple minutes about the original topic before clarifying, "Did you say b-o-o-z-e, or 'boobs'?" He verified that he meant the latter. That then became the subject of the (very short) discussion. It went on for another minute or so, then she asked for the mics to be cut and the interview ended. I could tell she was still upset even coming back after the break.

With good reason, I think.
Old 15th September 2017, 12:55 PM   #2
sadhatter
Philosopher

A sports guy loves boobs ?! Get me my fainting couch.

Oh what has the world came to? Straight men expressing what they like, oh god!

I take it there would be as much outrage if the view expressed how they love tight butts on football players?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:02 PM   #3
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"There are two things I believe in. The First Amendment, and boobs."
Hard to argue with that. Except maybe to add bacon.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Giz
Philosopher

It appears he hadn't kept abreast of acceptable speech, before discussing the first amendment.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:16 PM   #5
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I take it there would be as much outrage
Do you have evidence of this outrage or are you just imagining things?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:17 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
It appears he hadn't kept abreast of acceptable speech, before discussing the first amendment.
Touché.
Old 15th September 2017, 01:27 PM   #7
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Oh what has the world came to? Straight men expressing what they like, oh god!

I take it there would be as much outrage if the view expressed how they love tight butts on football players?
In an otherwise substantive discussion, and placed among such lofty company as some of the pinnacle philosophies of mankind that serve as foundation for our advanced way of life...

Yeah I get more than a little annoyed at juvenile outbursts like that, boobs or butts doesn't matter.

It's a national news interview, not a frat party.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:30 PM   #8
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

In the words of Champion Joe Lansdale, via his character Hap Collins:

"I like any king of titty, as long as it's a friendly titty."

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:34 PM   #9
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
In an otherwise substantive discussion, and placed among such lofty company as some of the pinnacle philosophies of mankind that serve as foundation for our advanced way of life...

Yeah I get more than a little annoyed at juvenile outbursts like that, boobs or butts doesn't matter.

It's a national news interview, not a frat party.
It's Clay Travis. They should have known better than to invite him on. I bet he got exactly what he wanted out of this.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:36 PM   #10
Giz
Philosopher

Touché.
How dare you touche my breast joke!
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:37 PM   #11
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Oh and linkables are rolling in now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/clay-...n-video-2017-9

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...y-travis-boobs

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Anchor and other guest both basically called it as I said: "why would you come live on national news and say that?!"

He then double, triple, and quadrupled down on it "because it's true!"

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th September 2017 at 01:38 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:56 PM   #12
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

"There are two three things I believe in. The First Amendment, and boobs."

Fixed
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

A sports guy is such a boorish oaf that he can't manage to go through an interview without saying "boobs"? Yeah, color me surprised. But that doesn't mean I have to condone it.

In one of her books, Miss Manners was asked about something unpleasant that ought not be done in public and replied, "Manners has to do with what you do in public, not what you do in private."
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Argumemnon
World Maker

I wasn't sure I heard that quite right, either. A guest commentator on CNN just said (in relation to the WH recommendation to fire the ESPN reporter who called The PDJT a racist), that "There are two things I believe in... The First Amendment, and boobs. They've never let me down."

This to anchor Brooke Baldwin. I could see the shock on her face and she actually let him and the other guest talk for a couple minutes about the original topic before clarifying, "Did you say b-o-o-z-e, or 'boobs'?" He verified that he meant the latter. That then became the subject of the (very short) discussion. It went on for another minute or so, then she asked for the mics to be cut and the interview ended. I could tell she was still upset even coming back after the break.

With good reason, I think.
Only if she has very thin skin. Or small boobs.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 02:02 PM   #15
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Sounds presidential.
Old 15th September 2017, 02:03 PM   #16
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

An amusing take:
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 02:05 PM   #17
JJM 777
Illuminator

Neither of the boobs?

I don't know on which planet that guy lives. The sad truth is that only a minority of all boobs existing on the planet are esthetically beautiful. The rest of them are, well...
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 02:07 PM   #18
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by JJM 777 View Post
Neither of the boobs?

I don't know on which planet that guy lives. The sad truth is that only a minority of all boobs existing on the planet are esthetically beautiful. The rest of them are, well...
Pretty much all of them attatched to people, some of them on TV hosts.
Old 15th September 2017, 02:12 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Sounds presidential.
Absolutely. He's the biggest boob in the country!
Old 15th September 2017, 02:13 PM   #20
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Bacon, Beer and Boobs - the 3 B's.
Old 15th September 2017, 02:20 PM   #21
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
A trifecta you could try on a muslim woman in your workplace.
Old 15th September 2017, 02:21 PM   #22
welshdean
6 NATIONS 2016
-MORAL VICTORS-

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
The trifecta of perfection.
Ross: The lesbian and the monkey. Sounds like one of Aesop's fables.
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 02:44 PM   #23
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

It was sexist and objectifying. Would you get away with it in your workplace?
Old 15th September 2017, 02:45 PM   #24
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
How dare you touche my breast joke!
In this particular venue I did not think it inappropriate.
Old 15th September 2017, 02:57 PM   #25
Argumemnon
World Maker

It was sexist and objectifying.
How was it either? How does the comment (in and of itself, we didn't get a link to the whole conversation) correspond to either? I get that it might not have been appropriate or professional, but sexist and objectifying?

What do those two words mean anymore?

Last edited by Argumemnon; 15th September 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 03:36 PM   #26
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

"There are types of people I hate: racists and Mexicans."

It's an easy joke to construct. I'm not offended as a feminist, I'm offended as a comedian.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 03:59 PM   #27
Bouncing Bettys
Scholar

They can both be a hand full but I love em
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 04:09 PM   #28
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Quite true.

It was sexist and objectifying. Would you get away with it in your workplace?
Also true, and certainly not.

"Male" is derived from the ancient proto-human word for "ball-scratcher," meaning "paradox."
Old 15th September 2017, 04:17 PM   #29
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

My sledge hammer has never let me down. But what does that add to the conversation?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 04:35 PM   #30
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
If he's never been let down by a set of boobs, he clearly hasn't seen enough boobs.
Old 15th September 2017, 04:36 PM   #31
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
My sledge hammer has never let me down. But what does that add to the conversation?
There are two things I believe in. Yog-Sothoth, and Godzilla.

Old 15th September 2017, 05:06 PM   #32
smartcooky
Philosopher

Travis is probably too stupid to understand just how clever what he said was!

He likes the first amendment, which is about free speech so he ought to be free to say he likes boobs.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 05:09 PM   #33
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Travis is probably too stupid to understand just how clever what he said was!

He likes the first amendment, which is about free speech so he ought to be free to say he likes boobs.
You don't think it was intentional?

Old 15th September 2017, 05:19 PM   #34
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

It's an easy joke to construct. I'm not offended as a feminist, I'm offended as a comedian.
Think of Andrew Dice Clay as the inspiration. No joke construction needed just make sure the punch line is something "ironically" misogynist.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 05:21 PM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The most interesting analysis I've seen so far, is that the host of the show had her talking points all lined up for the interview, and her guest pretty much derailed the whole thing.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 05:34 PM   #36
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Quite true.

Also true, and certainly not.

"Male" is derived from the ancient proto-human word for "ball-scratcher," meaning "paradox."

That was sorta like a joke, wasn't it? Except sexist and not funny.
Old 15th September 2017, 05:36 PM   #37
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
You don't think it was intentional?
I didn't say that. I just don't think he's clever enough to get it; after all he's a southern white conservative (a.k.a. a redneck) sports jock.

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th September 2017 at 05:38 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 05:40 PM   #38
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

It's a national news interview, not a frat party
I'm not sure what you mean by this. (I think your first sentence broke my sarcasm detector)
Old 15th September 2017, 05:45 PM   #39
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

If I heard it at comedy open mic night at the bar I used to work at/still visit (where it would receive two chuckles, a cough, and a delayed guffaw), then ok. If I hear it on a live broadcast interview about the office of the president weighing in on a journalist's career, I want to weep for the future of humanity.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th September 2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 15th September 2017, 05:48 PM   #40
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
How was it either? How does the comment (in and of itself, we didn't get a link to the whole conversation) correspond to either? I get that it might not have been appropriate or professional, but sexist and objectifying?

What do those two words mean anymore?
I think it is clearly objectifying. He isn't saying women are good, or that women have never let him down. He's saying boobs have never let him down. He's talking about body parts as objects.

As for "sexist", I agree that the word is used in so many different ways that it has very little, if any, meaning.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events