ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags language , semantics , sexism issues

Old 17th September 2017, 01:38 PM   #41
mgidm86
Illuminator

Official statement from The Ministry Of Acceptable Free Speech:
Quote:
"Look, we're going to just use MAN in the word Fireman and stuff like that like we always have, but it really means women too, mmmkay? Do you not understand that?"
Or use "woman", I don't care. My dick won't fall off if someone calls me a firewoman.

If you believe the news and this forum, you'd think that the entire country are either nazis or leftist crazies who want to kill each other. Cops are killing everyone. Nuclear Armageddon is upon us. Transgenders are wandering around aimlessly outside bathrooms too frightened to enter. It's smoke and mirrors folks.

What about Yale's own schools that are named after slave traders and were supported by them? Should they rename the schools? Did this school not gain its prestige and wealth from slavery? 'Sup, Yale?

Most people do not care where Yale got its startup capital. Most people know which bathroom to use too and can make that decision themselves. Stop making these attorneys rich.

For anyone who is seriously bothered by this - get a job, get a life, get some perspective, and shut up while you do. And you may want to duck too - that thing swinging toward your head is a pendulum.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2017, 05:42 PM   #42
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Official statement from The Ministry Of Acceptable Free Speech:
Or use "woman", I don't care. My dick won't fall off if someone calls me a firewoman.

If you believe the news and this forum, you'd think that the entire country are either nazis or leftist crazies who want to kill each other. Cops are killing everyone. Nuclear Armageddon is upon us. Transgenders are wandering around aimlessly outside bathrooms too frightened to enter. It's smoke and mirrors folks.

What about Yale's own schools that are named after slave traders and were supported by them? Should they rename the schools? Did this school not gain its prestige and wealth from slavery? 'Sup, Yale?

Most people do not care where Yale got its startup capital. Most people know which bathroom to use too and can make that decision themselves. Stop making these attorneys rich.

For anyone who is seriously bothered by this - get a job, get a life, get some perspective, and shut up while you do. And you may want to duck too - that thing swinging toward your head is a pendulum.
"Shut up", he explained.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2017, 07:18 PM   #43
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
"Shut up", he explained.
Finally, an explanation SJWs can relate to!

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 03:07 AM   #44
MetalPig
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
A very fair point, and I retract my own point. "Midspouse" it is?
Birthing assistant.
Old 18th September 2017, 03:46 AM   #45
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Mansplain will remain.
Old 18th September 2017, 03:54 AM   #46
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Mansplain will remain.
I also doubt 'bitching' will be changed to 'dogging'.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 06:10 AM   #47
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
And where will a fighter pilot sit instead of a cockpit?
Why would that need to be changed?
Old 18th September 2017, 06:23 AM   #48
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I think the emoji was there for a reason too.
If you click on the link I think you'll find that Noztradamus was in on the joke.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 06:53 AM   #49
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I also doubt 'bitching' will be changed to 'dogging'.
Obviously not since dogging is already used.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 06:56 AM   #50
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why would that need to be changed?
Cock is masculin. It should be chickenpit.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 02:54 PM   #51
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
You'll have to rename the entire University:

Quote:
The records of this period mention a flourishing slave trade in Madras, a trade in which Yale participated and from which he profited. He enforced a law that at least ten slaves should be carried on every ship bound for Europe. In his capacity as judge he also on several occasions sentenced so-called "black criminals" to whipping and enslavement. When the demand began to increase rapidly, the English merchants even began to kidnap young children and deport them to distant parts of the world, very much against their will.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 03:09 PM   #52
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Chickpit. i rather like the idea of Maverick and Goose in a chickpit. I think they'd like it too!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 05:06 PM   #53
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Except that it isn't, at least in this meaning. The word "Cock" as you are using it, as in a Male Fowl, comes from the French "Coq" and the old English "Cocc" both rooted in the Medieval Latin Coccus.

Whereas the term "Cock" in "Cockpit" in fact comes from the Middle English word "Cock" which is a type of boat, itself coming from the Old French "Coque" which derived from the Latin "Caudex". This word then lead to the formation of the word "Coxswain" for the master of the boat (Swain coming to Old English from the Norse Svienn for lad). The Cockpit become the place where the Coxswain ran the boat from, and then transferred to planes and spacecraft as well. So in this usage it is non-gendered.

(unless you mean the cock-pit in which roosters i.e. Cocks, would be placed to fit, and then the gendered term is acceptable because only the male fowl are used for fighting.)

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 18th September 2017 at 05:07 PM.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 06:59 PM   #54
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Interesting.

I would think that students there are too smart to want to tarnish their own "Yale" branded top-tier education even if a good case could be made.
I could be wrong about that.

My dad is paying for my niece to attend Harvard Business School and he would probably sue them if they changed the name!!
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 07:11 PM   #55
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Does anyone have any substantive criticisms of this, or is it all just attempted mockery while accidentally displaying ignorance of the roots of words?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 07:39 PM   #56
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Does anyone have any substantive criticisms of this, or is it all just attempted mockery while accidentally displaying ignorance of the roots of words?
The latter. It's a fringe battle where the reactionaries can tee hee until their hearts' content.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 07:56 PM   #57
angrysoba
Philosophile

I think there are two mistakes here:

The idea that manual and history have etymologies that have nothing to do with male or female therefore they should stay as they are.

And

Words like freshman and bachelor and masters have etymologies which specifically relate to gender therefore they must change.

In most cases, words can change their meaning from their origins without any confusion, so the etymology is irrelevant.

ETA: It's actually one mistake that both "sides" - the reactionaries and the radicals - seem to be making.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)

Last edited by angrysoba; 18th September 2017 at 07:59 PM.
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 01:03 AM   #58
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The latter.
That's not very personnerly of you, to accuse us of personipulating the discussion. It's just another personifestation of your strange Thai ways. Besides, I think personslaughter and personaic are great words.
Old 19th September 2017, 10:16 AM   #59
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
For dog's sake, people. This:

Once more with feeling.

When the "man" in a word is a reference to gender, then I am all for gender-neutralising it. Firefighter, police officer, chess piece, access hatch. When it is not, there isn't a good reason to bother.
So is the queen a chessman? The other pieces all seem to be male (except the rook or castle maybe) but it does seem odd to call the queen a chessman.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 10:23 AM   #60
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Except that it isn't, at least in this meaning. The word "Cock" as you are using it, as in a Male Fowl, comes from the French "Coq" and the old English "Cocc" both rooted in the Medieval Latin Coccus.

Whereas the term "Cock" in "Cockpit" in fact comes from the Middle English word "Cock" which is a type of boat, itself coming from the Old French "Coque" which derived from the Latin "Caudex". This word then lead to the formation of the word "Coxswain" for the master of the boat (Swain coming to Old English from the Norse Svienn for lad). The Cockpit become the place where the Coxswain ran the boat from, and then transferred to planes and spacecraft as well. So in this usage it is non-gendered.

(unless you mean the cock-pit in which roosters i.e. Cocks, would be placed to fit, and then the gendered term is acceptable because only the male fowl are used for fighting.)
It was a perfectly good joke. Your dry, soul-less analysis killed it!

Old 19th September 2017, 12:59 PM   #61
CriticalThanking
Designated Hitter

The Mountain was killed by the Prince Oberon using personticore venom.
CriticalThanking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 01:25 PM   #62
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
And where will a fighter pilot sit instead of a cockpit?
Being polite, I will forbear telling you!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 01:27 PM   #63
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
A vagina, obviously.

That does not quite work well as the term now is not penispit. Thus my posts wording!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 01:30 PM   #64
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

I always thought cockpit was a perfect term for fighter jets, considering that most of their pilots are *****.

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 06:41 PM   #65
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
So is the queen a chessman? The other pieces all seem to be male (except the rook or castle maybe) but it does seem odd to call the queen a chessman.
They are all chess pieces.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 08:08 PM   #66
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Being polite, I will forbear telling you!!!!!
You're late. This joke's already been done.

theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 01:07 PM   #67
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

If we can agree that "Joy Stick" is gender neutral, since some kind of joy stick is used by nearly all of the 16 genders, than shouldn't the word "cockpit" be changed to "warm and moist mucous membranes"? Or "WAMMM !" for short?

You probably don't want to ask me why the Army truck is called a HMMMV.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 01:35 PM   #68
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see any accidental ignorance. There's a class of jokes being made that depend on adopting an ignorant pose. And there's some interesting discussion of the actual roots of words. Are you mad that people are having a laugh at Yale's expense, rather than taking them seriously in this endeavor? Do you have any substantive advocacy for this change?
Old 20th September 2017, 02:07 PM   #69
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Why not just go with Frosh, an existing word? And upperclassmen and underclassmen are really just convenient words for writers so they don't always have to use the actual class names (Sophomore, Junior, Senior for upperclassmen, etc).
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 03:41 PM   #70
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't see any accidental ignorance. There's a class of jokes being made that depend on adopting an ignorant pose.
This is true, unfortunately this is one of those cases where the actually ignorant easily mistake it for another class of joke. This in turn can make it unclear which the joker is aiming for.

Quote:
And there's some interesting discussion of the actual roots of words.
Yes, which I actually enjoy a great deal. My degree is in English and such subjects fascinate me.

Quote:
Are you mad that people are having a laugh at Yale's expense, rather than taking them seriously in this endeavor?
I'm 'mad' because I suspect many posters actually oppose the effort without even understanding why they do, and because I don't have to suspect that they haven't presented a solid argument against it.

Note however, that if they are having a laugh 'at Yale's expense', then they are not actually making the class of joke you think they are.

Quote:
Do you have any substantive advocacy for this change?
Sure. Yale was requested to make this change because it would make some of their students feel more included and presumably market Yale's commitment to advancing at the same rate as conventions do. This might be small, but absent a compelling reason to not implement this small thing that will either have no effect or a small good, then it's an entirely rational move.

They didn't try to change the word 'history' after all.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 06:35 PM   #71
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I wonder how such discussions go in languages where the words themselves have genders?
Old 20th September 2017, 06:51 PM   #72
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I wonder how such discussions go in languages where the words themselves have genders?
Interesting question.

Old 20th September 2017, 08:40 PM   #73
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Which reminds me of how I nearly flunked out of German.

And brings me to a question: What with all the possible 'new' genders, are we going to have to learn the plural possessives too?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 09:05 PM   #74
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This is true, unfortunately this is one of those cases where the actually ignorant easily mistake it for another class of joke. This in turn can make it unclear which the joker is aiming for.

Yes, which I actually enjoy a great deal. My degree is in English and such subjects fascinate me.

I'm 'mad' because I suspect many posters actually oppose the effort without even understanding why they do, and because I don't have to suspect that they haven't presented a solid argument against it.

Note however, that if they are having a laugh 'at Yale's expense', then they are not actually making the class of joke you think they are.

Sure. Yale was requested to make this change because it would make some of their students feel more included and presumably market Yale's commitment to advancing at the same rate as conventions do. This might be small, but absent a compelling reason to not implement this small thing that will either have no effect or a small good, then it's an entirely rational move.

They didn't try to change the word 'history' after all.
I seriously have no idea what you're even trying to say anymore. You win, I guess?
Old 21st September 2017, 12:05 AM   #75
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I wonder if they'll drop this gender-specific fraternity and sorority terminology? What 's the word for 'a society of siblings? Google translate isn't helping me here.

Also, also this 'Greek life' piffle is a clear case of cultural appropriation. Shame on them!
Old 21st September 2017, 01:08 AM   #76
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

At first, I had a problem with this. But then I decided to person up and take it like a person.

After all, whining about this would be unpersonly and harm my standing as a person.

I'm not afraid to admit that I have identified as a person since my childhood.
Old 21st September 2017, 01:20 AM   #77
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Why not just go with Frosh, an existing word? And upperclassmen and underclassmen are really just convenient words for writers so they don't always have to use the actual class names (Sophomore, Junior, Senior for upperclassmen, etc).
We don't even have those titles in Australia. It took me years to work out what the hell a sophomore was.

We call them first-year, second-year, third-year, etc. When we bother to refer to the length of time someone has been studying at all, which is hardly ever because it's generally irrelevant to anything.

I've never understood why American universities have these titles in the first place. They seem very silly.
Old 21st September 2017, 01:46 AM   #78
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I wonder if they'll drop this gender-specific fraternity and sorority terminology? What 's the word for 'a society of siblings? Google translate isn't helping me here.

Also, also this 'Greek life' piffle is a clear case of cultural appropriation. Shame on them!
They would all be called fraternities. My sorority used 'fraternity' back in the 90's. Officially anyway.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 02:59 AM   #79
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

As for Czech language, no such debate. Generally, when one needs to address group they use both variants of word. (by etiquette females first) If used in letter then another option is to use automatic insertion of correct word.

Originally Posted by arthwollipot
We don't even have those titles in Australia. It took me years to work out what the hell a sophomore was.

We call them first-year, second-year, third-year, etc. When we bother to refer to the length of time someone has been studying at all, which is hardly ever because it's generally irrelevant to anything.

I've never understood why American universities have these titles in the first place. They seem very silly.
Same in Czech language.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 04:23 AM   #80
Argumemnon
World Maker

French is one of those languages, and I haven't really heard about this sort of stuff up here. Mind you, I might not be in the right context to make that likely.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events