IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 6th April 2021, 02:50 PM   #3081
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

The question is if the GOP can develop a new gimmick for 2022 like the Tea Party's open racism and sudden deficit concerns or the squalid "Contract with America".

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 03:32 PM   #3082
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
The question is if the GOP can develop a new gimmick for 2022 like the Tea Party's open racism and sudden deficit concerns or the squalid "Contract with America".
They are working the racism card. I don't think A new Contract for America is going to work.
Old 6th April 2021, 04:01 PM   #3083
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Why bother with new? They've re-used the "Sudden Deficit Concern®" gimmick for every Democratic presidency or congressional majority I can remember. Seems to keep working on the only voters they care about.
Old 6th April 2021, 04:14 PM   #3084
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
Why bother with new? They've re-used the "Sudden Deficit Concern®" gimmick for every Democratic presidency or congressional majority I can remember. Seems to keep working on the only voters they care about.
If they're so concerned about the deficit, they could call for higher taxes on the rich or cuts in farm subsidies.
Old 6th April 2021, 04:21 PM   #3085
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
If they're so concerned about the deficit, they could call for higher taxes on the rich or cuts in farm subsidies.
Oh, I see the problem. You're confusing Sudden Deficit Concern® for actual concern about the deficit.
Old 6th April 2021, 05:02 PM   #3086
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

As much as I'd like to see some gun control, I'd pass on reform of that right now. Bigger fish to fry.
I've been saying this for a very long time. I think there are some laws that might help (and a bunch that will do little). But they generate such a negative reaction that I've wished we might leave it alone for a while and get some other reforms taken care of while we have the solidarity.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 05:19 PM   #3087
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They could even rescind the tax cuts ushered in during Trump's watch.

BTW, GW did the same thing, got all these tax cuts through claiming the government should give back all those extra taxes they collected which was false on two fronts: There was a huge deficit that the GOP legislators could have paid down, and of course Bush simply used the credit card to pay for the war instead of rescinding the tax cuts.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 05:22 PM   #3088
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

John Oliver covered the National Debt Sunday on his show. It was pretty informative.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 05:26 PM   #3089
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
Oh, I see the problem. You're confusing Sudden Deficit Concern® for actual concern about the deficit.
I'm not. I'm just offering the GOP a suggestion since they are voicing this concern.
Old 6th April 2021, 05:33 PM   #3090
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They could even rescind the tax cuts ushered in during Trump's watch.

BTW, GW did the same thing, got all these tax cuts through claiming the government should give back all those extra taxes they collected which was false on two fronts: There was a huge deficit that the GOP legislators could have paid down, and of course Bush simply used the credit card to pay for the war instead of rescinding the tax cuts.
Clinton is the only President at least since before Hoover to create surpluses. He had the US on a path to eliminate the National Debt entirely. The GOP said "the hell with that!" and blew up the budget for tax cuts and the military.
Old 6th April 2021, 05:42 PM   #3091
SezMe
post-pre-born

This is why I believe it is imperative to make DC and PR States ....
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Highly desirable; ain't gonna happen.
I was inclined to agree with Trebuchet because I thought the existing states had to approve the new state. Turns out that's not the case - it only takes a majority of both halves of congress (assuming the filibuster is dead). In that case, I do think it just might be possible.

The Dems ought to give it a try, for two reasons:
  1. If it happens, it gives the Dems a far better position in the Senate; and
  2. No matter what the outcome, it'll drive the GOP up the wall.

I suppose I should be a bit shamed by the last point because "pissing off the libtards" is so much of what the GOP does and I don't like it. However, I'll just admit that there's a vindictive, hypocritical side of me and let it be.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 05:44 PM   #3092
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

There’s a few GQP gimmicks that might not sail these days. Hyper-panic over the deficit is one of them. It’s still got legs but it depends on people purely voting against their interests when Moscow Mitch declares it must be balanced on Medicare.

Other gimmicks I suspect won’t work will be the whole “job creators” they pulled when Obama wanted to tax the wealthy. The GQP will need to depend on Democratic disunity to break that one.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 05:47 PM   #3093
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I was inclined to agree with Trebuchet because I thought the existing states had to approve the new state. Turns out that's not the case - it only takes a majority of both halves of congress (assuming the filibuster is dead). In that case, I do think it just might be possible.

The Dems ought to give it a try, for two reasons:
  1. If it happens, it gives the Dems a far better position in the Senate; and
  2. No matter what the outcome, it'll drive the GOP up the wall.

I suppose I should be a bit shamed by the last point because "pissing off the libtards" is so much of what the GOP does and I don't like it. However, I'll just admit that there's a vindictive, hypocritical side of me and let it be.
I don't care about driving the GOP up a wall. I just want to make democracy work and weaken the power of rural America. Force the GOP to sell their policies to all of America and not just racists and farmers.

Last edited by acbytesla; 6th April 2021 at 06:04 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 02:55 AM   #3094
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Just on a slightly different tack, I have to say that I never thought I would enjoy watching White House press conferences so much until this year.

Whenever some dickwit reporter from Faux News, or One America Nutjobs or Newswanks tries to pull out a "gotcha" question, that Jen Psaki woman just dismantles their arguments and humiliates them in front of the press corps.

Truly awesome to watch!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 05:55 AM   #3095
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Just on a slightly different tack, I have to say that I never thought I would enjoy watching White House press conferences so much until this year.

Whenever some dickwit reporter from Faux News, or One America Nutjobs or Newswanks tries to pull out a "gotcha" question, that Jen Psaki woman just dismantles their arguments and humiliates them in front of the press corps.

Truly awesome to watch!
If you're a reporter for one of those three organizations, is humiliation even possible?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 06:04 AM   #3096
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
If you're a reporter for one of those three organizations, is humiliation even possible?

I'd assume it was one of their major kinks.
Old 7th April 2021, 06:10 AM   #3097
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Their viewers will say that they made Psaki squirm and cheer them on.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 07:15 AM   #3098
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I think there are precious few left in the News Division of Fox who are. Most actual journalists are leaving or trying to leave. Newsmax and OAN not so much.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 08:07 AM   #3099
Lurch
Graduate Poster

I'm not. I'm just offering the GOP a suggestion since they are voicing this concern.
But they're not concerned about the concern they're voicing.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 09:14 AM   #3100
Garrison
Philosopher

I don't care about driving the GOP up a wall. I just want to make democracy work and weaken the power of rural America. Force the GOP to sell their policies to all of America and not just racists and farmers.
That's an unfair characterization of Republican supporters, you forgot coal miners and of course that some of those racists are farmers and coal miners.

Last edited by Garrison; 7th April 2021 at 09:17 AM.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 10:54 AM   #3101
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
But they're not concerned about the concern they're voicing.
Point taken.
Old 7th April 2021, 04:16 PM   #3102
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Reversing Trump, Biden Restores Aid to Palestinians
The move will once again make the United States a leading donor to the United Nations agency that assists about 5.7 million Palestinians in the Middle East.

The Biden administration announced on Wednesday that it would restore hundreds of millions of dollars in American aid to Palestinians, its strongest move yet to reverse President Donald J. Trump’s policy on the protracted Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The package, which gives at least $235 million in assistance to Palestinians, will go to humanitarian, economic, development and security efforts in the region, and is part of the administration’s attempt to rehabilitate U.S. relations with Palestinians, which effectively stopped when Mr. Trump was in office.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/w...estinians.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 06:58 PM   #3103
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The package, which gives at least $235 million in assistance to Palestinians, will go to humanitarian, economic, development and security efforts in the region, .....
They forgot to mention "handling fees", "contingency reserves", "currency conversion fees" and the like so that when it gets down to Mohamed Doe it will effectively be $2.35 mil.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 09:03 PM   #3104
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Truly awesome to watch!
Any favorites? I don't watch TV, in general, but I've seen some praise a few times.
Old 8th April 2021, 08:51 AM   #3105
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I have seen a few articles making the same sort of claim as this one:

...By 1984, it was landslide territory for Ronald Reagan. The population was overwhelmingly white and thoroughly middle class, largely living in tract homes and driving their cars to industrial (jobs)...They were, by all appearances, Democrats. But they weren’t voting like it.....Greenberg coined a term for these voters—“Reagan Democrats”
Then something important happened: In leaning too hard into white identity politics...Trump accelerated the rise of a new voting bloc that is, in many ways, the mirror image of the Reagan Democrats. Call them the Biden Republicans...Greenberg sees the Biden Republicans as more affluent, highly educated and supportive of diversity. Historically, they identified with the Republican Party as their political home....They don’t consider themselves Democrats—at least not yet—but they are voting for them

Interesting idea. Hopefully there is some truth to it. After all, Reagan had a significant impact on politics, and even managed to string 3 consecutive terms in the white house (if you count Bush Sr., who might have benefited on good will towards Reagan.) It would be nice if Biden were able to have the same sort of impact.... building a coalition that will keep the Republicans from the white house until they can get their act together.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 02:22 PM   #3106
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Truly awesome to watch!
She is really good. I've been impressed.
Old 8th April 2021, 03:15 PM   #3107
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

She is really good. I've been impressed.
Compared to the last bunch of WH press secretaries, all she had to do was be able to walk and chew gum at the same time to impress us. But, yes; she's very good.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 03:20 PM   #3108
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Compared to the last bunch of WH press secretaries, all she had to do was be able to walk and chew gum at the same time to impress us. But, yes; she's very good.
In all fairness to them, trying to bring clarity to Trump and his intentions is futile.
Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM   #3109
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Call them the Biden Republicans...Greenberg sees the Biden Republicans as more affluent, highly educated and supportive of diversity. Historically, they identified with the Republican Party as their political home....They don’t consider themselves Democrats—at least not yet—but they are voting for them

Interesting idea. Hopefully there is some truth to it. After all, Reagan had a significant impact on politics, and even managed to string 3 consecutive terms in the white house (if you count Bush Sr., who might have benefited on good will towards Reagan.) It would be nice if Biden were able to have the same sort of impact.... building a coalition that will keep the Republicans from the white house until they can get their act together.

I'm not surprised by that, this is pretty much what I've been here in Canada for the last decade at least. I used to vote PC in just about every election, but the collapse of that party federally and the rise of the new Conservative Party pretty much pushed me out.

I had some hopes that I could return to the PCs at least provincially in the last Ontario election, but then they went and made Doug Ford the party leader. And it wasn't even a close vote, either. It's as if the people running the PCs these days actively don't want my vote.
Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM   #3110
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The governor of Vermont is a "Biden Republican," it seems. He made his opposition to T**** clear early on, but was noncommittal about how he'd vote, but I believe he said finally that he'd gone for Biden.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #3111
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Carter will take all your guns
Clinton will take all your guns
Clinton will take all your guns if he's reelected
Obama will take all your guns
Obama will take all your guns if he's reelected
Biden will take all your guns
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #3112
ahhell
Illuminator

This thread reminds of this:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-other/592324/

Quote:
It is deeply worrying that Americans now have so little understanding of their political adversaries. It is downright disturbing that the very institutions that ought to help us become better informed may actually be deepening our mutual incomprehension.
https://perceptiongap.us/
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM   #3113
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

It's nice to know in these times of intense partisan division in this country, both Republicans and Democrats can agree that our massively bloated, budget chugging military could actually stand to be a bit bigger.

Quote:
BREAKING: Biden proposes a $753,000,000,000 Pentagon budget, a significant increase from last year's budget.
https://twitter.com/Public_Citizen/s...42399730966530

We may not have universal health care, but nobody can evaporate some poor brown kid with a Raytheon missile quite like the good ole USofA. Rock, flag, and eagle, USA #1.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; Yesterday at 11:08 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #3114
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Quote:
BREAKING: Biden proposes a $753,000,000,000 Pentagon budget, a significant increase from last year's budget.
https://twitter.com/Public_Citizen/s...42399730966530

While I agree that a good portion of the money spent on the military could be used elsewhere, their use of "significant increase" feels a little misleading. The dollar amount looks like a lot (because it is), but it's only a 4.4% increase over last year. Previous years were 5.1%, 7.3%, and 9.7% according to budget figures on Wikipedia.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #3115
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's nice to know in these times of intense partisan division in this country, both Republicans and Democrats can agree that our massively bloated, budget chugging military could actually stand to be a bit bigger.
If it were me, I would have cut the budget by exactly how much Trump took when he declared the state of emergency to allow him to siphon off money for his border wall.

That, or ask for a big increase in military budgets now, but declare a new state of emergency (over something like global warming) in order to divert the money (to something like green energy projects).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics