ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 10th October 2018, 02:17 PM   #641
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"Despite so many positive events and victories, Media Reseach Center reports that 92% of stories on Donald Trump are negative on ABC, CBS and ABC. It is FAKE NEWS! Don’t worry, the Failing New York Times didn’t even put the Brett Kavanaugh victory on the Front Page yesterday-A17!"
Given the fact that the majority of people do not think Kavanaugh should be a judge, does he REALLY think putting news about him on the front page would really benefit him?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 02:21 PM   #642
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Quote:
Well, he managed not to lose it all, which is better than a lot of people have done with inherited wealth, but it's a lot less impressive than Trump would like everybody to think it is.
Then what were the several bankruptcies about? I think he lost all that and more, and got to the point where no US banks would let him in the door. His current wealth is all about Russia.
Well, technically those were business bankruptcies rather than personal bankruptcies. Not sure how much personal liability he'd have to deal with if one of his businesses went under, but it may be possible that he'd maintain some assets even if one of his companies went bankrupt. (The creditors would basically be stuck with the debt.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 02:24 PM   #643
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Quote:
Trump Tweets

"Despite so many positive events and victories, Media Reseach Center reports that 92% of stories on Donald Trump are negative on ABC, CBS and ABC. It is FAKE NEWS! Don’t worry, the Failing New York Times didn’t even put the Brett Kavanaugh victory on the Front Page yesterday-A17!"
Or... 92% of what he does is negative.
Or.... closer to 100% of what Trump does is negative, but the news media tries desperately to find something positive to say about him, even if its minor, or irrelevant or undeserved.

"Trump doesn't cause the world to spontaneously explode... film at 11".

We are Groot - Groot
Old 10th October 2018, 02:26 PM   #644
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
In fact, his daughter told a story (no idea if it is true and given its coming from a Trump, it's likely not) of how her and her father were coming out of Trump Tower where there was a homeless guy and her father said was actually poorer than the homeless guy.
Leave it to Trump... even at the lowest point in his life, he still makes an effort to be a jerk to the less fortunate.

(Paraphrased from John Oliver's show)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 10th October 2018, 02:45 PM   #645
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
What were the other predictions? Were they as low as 1 in 10? If so, that's not an "all but guaranteed" loss.
A couple days before the election Huffington Post concluded odds in Hillary's favor were 99-1 or 98-2. I did not take a screen shot but I'm sure I remember that correctly. I don't know how they were arriving at that, since elsewhere I was seeing Trump had a significant chance of winning.

I also think it may have been significant that polls focused on likely voters. It's possible that the 2016 election drew out people who didn't usually vote and so were undercounted in polls.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 02:50 PM   #646
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Trump isn't happy with the Federal Reserve:

Quote:
President Donald Trump blamed the Federal Reserve for Wednesday's 832-point stock dive.

"I think the Fed is making a mistake. They're so tight. I think the Fed has gone crazy," Trump told reporters on the tarmac in Pennsylvania.

"It's a correction that we've been waiting for for a long time," he said of the more than 800-point drop.

"I really disagree with what the Fed is doing," Trump said.
Linky.
Old 10th October 2018, 03:00 PM   #647
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Well, technically those were business bankruptcies rather than personal bankruptcies. Not sure how much personal liability he'd have to deal with if one of his businesses went under, but it may be possible that he'd maintain some assets even if one of his companies went bankrupt. (The creditors would basically be stuck with the debt.)
They took his superyacht off him hahaha
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 03:23 PM   #648
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
A couple days before the election Huffington Post concluded odds in Hillary's favor were 99-1 or 98-2. I did not take a screen shot but I'm sure I remember that correctly. I don't know how they were arriving at that, since elsewhere I was seeing Trump had a significant chance of winning.

I also think it may have been significant that polls focused on likely voters. It's possible that the 2016 election drew out people who didn't usually vote and so were undercounted in polls.

This demonstrates why one should not pay much attention to HuffPo's statistical analyses of much of anything.

I kept an eye on Nate Silver's 538 site. At no point were his numbers anywhere nearly so sanguine about Hillary's chances. In the last week they steadily dropped.

Reports like HuffPo's may have hurt Hillary's chances by encouraging complacency.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 03:28 PM   #649
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Probably just as well.

I can see him on the bridge, behind the wheel, hollering
"I'm gonna MOVE you, baby!".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 04:14 PM   #650
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Trump on the latest climate change report:
Quote:
“It was given to me. It was given to me, and I want to look at who drew, you know, which group drew it,” the president said, as Hurricane Michael edged closer to the Florida’s northern Gulf Coast, threatening devastating flooding, which scientists say is exacerbated by rising sea levels.

Trump said some reports were good, while others were not as good.

“Because I can give you reports that are fabulous, and I can give you reports that aren’t so good,” he added.
Linky.
My daughter could express herself better than Trump when she was in middle school. The man has a very low level command of language. Especially for someone who's a 'genius' with 'a very good brain'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 04:25 PM   #651
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
If this was aimed at me (I was the last person who requested that we stop with the Hitler comparison), I want to point out that I didn’t say we should stop because they are wrong, I said we should stop because they are unhelpful.

Comparisons to Hitler never convince the other side to examine what is happening. Instead, such comparisons simply make the other side accuse the folks of making the comparison as being irrational lunatics who are beyond reasonable discussion.
My thesis in political science was how it can happen here in the US. The comparisons of any government that transforms from a democracy to an autocracy to the third Reich is almost inevitable. Trump ISN'T Hitler or anything close to Hitler. They are different in just about every way. Nevertheless, there is little question that Trump is using some of the tactics and strategies of Goebbels and Hitler. But even Goebbels and Hitler didn't invent those tactics.

Part of the reason probably make the comparisons is all that was written about the Third Reich. I've read more books on WWII than any period in history. In fact, the last couple of days, I've been reading Stephen Ambrose's book about D-Day.
Old 10th October 2018, 04:25 PM   #652
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I had the same thought. Why warn the Democrats about this? Well, the obvious conclusion is that the opposite of what the turtle said is true.
It's all about getting the term "presidential harrassment" out there in advance, as an insurance policy.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 04:32 PM   #653
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
My thesis in political science was how it can happen here in the US. The comparisons of any government that transforms from a democracy to an autocracy to the third Reich is almost inevitable. Trump ISN'T Hitler or anything close to Hitler. They are different in just about every way. Nevertheless, there is little question that Trump is using some of the tactics and strategies of Goebbels and Hitler. But even Goebbels and Hitler didn't invent those tactics.

Part of the reason probably make the comparisons is all that was written about the Third Reich. I've read more books on WWII than any period in history. In fact, the last couple of days, I've been reading Stephen Ambrose's book about D-Day.
Even Hitler served in the army. He didn't have convenient 'bone spurs'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 06:40 PM   #654
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I remember that, but HuffPo was certainly an outlier.

On Nov. 5, 528 had Trump at 35% chance of winning. They were a bit of an outlier too, but better respected, I think, than HuffPo.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 07:12 PM   #655
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I remember that, but HuffPo was certainly an outlier.

On Nov. 5, 528 had Trump at 35% chance of winning. They were a bit of an outlier too, but better respected, I think, than HuffPo.
On the other hand, there's a tragicomic election night video montage. In the video, as election results are rolling in, Rachel Maddow continues to explain with charts and graphs and big hand gestures and an increasingly manic grin, than Hillary can't possibly lose.

But I think my favorite election night story is from Amy Chozick's book. She describes a tense conference call. Clinton campaign staffers are reacting to the news that Florida is going to Trump. The campaign chief says, "it's okay. The model shows we've still got this."

"You don't understand," says the chief modeler. "If the model is wrong in Florida, it's wrong everywhere."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 09:04 PM   #656
Stacko
Philosopher

Senators Booker and Menedez have sent Trump letter over Jamal Khashoggi's "disappearance."

Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 09:22 PM   #657
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Or.... closer to 100% of what Trump does is negative, but the news media tries desperately to find something positive to say about him, even if its minor, or irrelevant or undeserved.

"Trump doesn't cause the world to spontaneously explode... film at 11".
Ehh. I'm fine with 92%. There's neutral news, too, after all, with occasional actually deserved positive news. Credit should be given where credit's due, regardless. He did an acceptable job when it came to his actions related to disaster relief in Texas, after all, for example (and yes, that is distinct from the failures related to Puerto Rico). The "positive" news that he actually stayed on script for a speech, though, is more like damning with faint praise.

Last edited by Aridas; 10th October 2018 at 09:24 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 09:45 PM   #658
Aridas

Pakistan navy quits anti-piracy task force amid worsening US ties

Quote:
The decision to leave the task force was taken after the US-led operation refused to pay for fuel for the patrolling warships as part of a previous agreement, two highly-placed military officials told Al Jazeera on the condition of anonymity.

Military officials believe that CTF nations will feel Pakistan's absence because of its counter-piracy expertise and the Pakistani vessels' access to waters that are not friendly to Western flag-bearing ships.
So, the US failed to pay what it had agreed to pay. Trump's style is amazing for the law and order seeking part of the world.
Old 10th October 2018, 09:54 PM   #659
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
bet you any number of MIPs that Fox will now double-down on the claim of paid protesters.
Not just Fox, that's the latest talking points memo. It went out to every alt-right winger from social media to the mainstream media talking heads. Think about it, Kavanaugh claimed George Soros was paying to get Kav's nomination derailed.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th October 2018 at 09:55 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 09:58 PM   #660
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not just Fox, that's the latest talking points memo. It went out to every alt-right winger from social media to the mainstream media talking heads. Think about it, Kavanaugh claimed George Soros was paying to get Kav's nomination derailed.
You have to give the right wing points for staying true to their conspiracy theories bent.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:03 PM   #661
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You have to give the right wing points for staying true to their conspiracy theories bent.
The closer we get to the Nov election, the more I hear the same tired old fear mongering campaign slogans, the Democrats are all dangerous socialists.

It's depressing people still fall for that crap after all this time. And it's depressing the Democrats still haven't figured out how to effectively counter that lie.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th October 2018 at 10:04 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 10:20 PM   #662
Aridas

Speaking of the November election...

The Supreme Court just bulldozed precedent to make it harder for Native Americans to vote

Quote:
In Brakebill, et al. v. Jaeger, Native American voters challenged North Dakota’s new, restrictive voter ID law, which imposes mandates that will disproportionately affect Native Americans and, in many cases, block them from voting entirely. Anyone who lives on a reservation or in a rural area, for example, will be unable to satisfy the new law’s address requirements.

The district court enjoined the state from putting the law into effect. Voters didn’t have to comply with the it in the primary. Since then, the secretary of state’s office has been operating as if that injunction would remain in place.

<snip>

With just a month left, voters might not even have time to try to comply with these requirements before Election Day. Even if they did, it’s not clear the state could keep up. The district court found about 20 percent of those expected to vote wouldn’t meet the new ID requirements. Around 18,000 people wouldn’t be able to provide either adequate ID or supplementary documentation.

Neither precedent nor policy swayed the Eighth Circuit, which hears federal appeals from Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, and the Dakotas.

The Eighth Circuit decided on Sept. 24 that the state law should go into effect after all. The Supreme Court didn’t back the Eighth Circuit until Tuesday, less than one month before the November election.
Yet more legitimate votes and voices that the Republicans are suppressing.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:22 PM   #663
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Speaking of the November election...

The Supreme Court just bulldozed precedent to make it harder for Native Americans to vote

Yet more legitimate votes and voices that the Republicans are suppressing.
They're probably part of the 'millions of illegal voters' who stole the popular vote away from Trump.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:55 PM   #664
carlosy
Thinker

My daughter could express herself better than Trump when she was in middle school. The man has a very low level command of language. Especially for someone who's a 'genius' with 'a very good brain'.
Don't you get it? It's all part of his genius. He is acting like he is dumb and hiding his great genius. It gives him a tactical advantage. That's the real genius. And he has the best tactics, that's for sure.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 11:26 PM   #665
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Quote:
Reuters: Asked about reports South Korea was considering lifting some sanctions against North Korea, Trump said: “They won’t do it without our approval. They do nothing without our approval.”
Quote:
Trump's UN Speech: We do not expect diverse countries to share the same cultures, traditions, or even systems of government. But we do expect all nations to uphold these two core sovereign duties: to respect the interests of their own people and the rights of every other sovereign nation.
The point of this post? Obvious, unless you are a Republican, in which case dishonesty, hypocrisy, and support for the right of the powerful to do as they damn well please will seem completely normal. The incompatibility with democracy and peaceful international relations escapes you entirely. Ethical lobotomies do free up the soul and make walking to the bank more joyous, granted, I'll give you that.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:41 PM   #666
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by River View Post
Soros and his foundations are active all over the world, not just in the USA. Don't be naive.
Sounds sinister. Could you expound on that? Perhaps a cite or two?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 12:56 AM   #667
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by River View Post
The planet is going to be just fine. Unless the sun decides to take care of the solarsystem.
The rocks will be fine

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 01:07 AM   #668
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

(bolding mine)
They arrived at that result by treating each state's election as statistically independent from the other states elections.
Nate Silver and others at 538 tried to explain that there is some correlation between the states (seems rather obvious), but to no avail in some quarters.
Old 11th October 2018, 02:11 AM   #669
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Well, he managed not to lose it all[...]
Did he, though?
Old 11th October 2018, 02:17 AM   #670
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It is FAKE NEWS!
Lügenpresse!
Old 11th October 2018, 02:18 AM   #671
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

If Democrats win control of Congress this November, we will come dangerously closer to socialism in America.
I like how socialism, in and of itself, is considered dangerous.
Old 11th October 2018, 02:34 AM   #672
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Given the fact that the majority of people do not think Kavanaugh should be a judge, does he REALLY think putting news about him on the front page would really benefit him?
You're assuming Trump knows this. I get the feeling that Trump doesn't so much lie about these things as assume that because he thinks a certain way about something everyone else must do as well but some people choose to lie about it. Much like those theists who insist that atheists know god exists but deny it.
Old 11th October 2018, 02:38 AM   #673
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

And back then they couldn't even console him with a complimentary copy of "Whose Boat is This Boat?". Sad.
Old 11th October 2018, 02:47 AM   #674
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Washington Post has fact-checked Trump's Op Ed

Spoiler - there's more than one falsehood in it.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:48 AM   #675
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Given that he put in his announcement for running in 2020 the day after inauguration and has been running rallies exactly like the ones when he was running for 2016, it's a certainty not a possibility that he is running.
I hope he runs and gets not just beaten but boofed.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 03:59 AM   #676
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Heh, butt boofed. That's funny.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 04:02 AM   #677
newyorkguy
Philosopher

One of his personal tax returns -- which was published during the campaign and linked here -- showed he reported an over $900 million dollar loss on his 1995 personal tax returns.
Quote:
Donald Trump declared $916 million in losses on his 1995 personal tax returns... news link

If Trump loses the 2020 election I would expect him to deal with it by charging massive vote fraud -as he did in 2016 when he thought he was about to lose.
Quote:
[H]e told a crowd in Columbus, Ohio, "I'm afraid the election is going to be rigged, I have to be honest." He later expanded on this notion, telling Fox News' Sean Hannity, "Well, I’ve been – I’ve been hearing about it for a long time. And I know last time, there were – you had precincts where there were practically nobody voting for the Republican. And I think that’s wrong." He added: "I’m telling you, November 8th, we’d better be careful because that election is going to be rigged. And I hope the Republicans are watching closely or it’s going to be taken away from us." news link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 04:57 AM   #678
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
If Trump loses the 2020 election I would expect him to deal with it by charging massive vote fraud -as he did in 2016 when he thought he was about to lose.

Hell, even after he won the election, he kept claiming it was rigged. There's zero chance he'll say anything else.
Old 11th October 2018, 04:59 AM   #679
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Personally I don't give points for willful ignorance.
Old 11th October 2018, 05:04 AM   #680
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Hell, even after he won the election, he kept claiming it was rigged.
I mean, it appears that he was right about that one.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics