ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th October 2018, 10:32 AM   #2521
Joecool
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The occasion makes the thief this is the same thing with the guns, the more you have guns in the population, the more people will get killed. If you want to withdraw the problem, the problem that makes human to benefit to take advantage of each others, you withdraw the opportunity that makes that system easy, money.
But in your system, guns will be free. Everyone will have guns and run around killing each other. Maybe guns should be made more expensive to deter people from buying them. The result will be fewer deaths,

Some people think it is not the money, it is the nature of human, but a system that makes profit of injustice should not be use. The less you pay for the work of others and the more you get paid for your work is your profit should not be used. The true justice is the price paid for your work is the price you want to pay for the work of others, zero dollar.
Gaetan, just watch nature and you can see why money is important. A bear will fatten itself up before their winter hibernation. Squirrels will gather a stockpile of nuts so they can survive through the winter and have enough food. Humans store money because it's a resource that can be used to purchase food and other things without constantly having to work on a daily basis.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 01:23 PM   #2522
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Some people think it is not the money, it is the nature of human, but a system that makes profit of injustice should not be use. The less you pay for the work of others and the more you get paid for your work is your profit should not be used. The true justice is the price paid for your work is the price you want to pay for the work of others, zero dollar.
Again as far as I recall no one here but you has asserted they want to pay people "zero dollar". If you find your own perspective, of what you want people to be paid, unjust then I recommend you correct your perspective, of what you want people to be paid.

The occasion makes the thief this is the same thing with the guns, the more you have guns in the population, the more people will get killed. If you want to withdraw the problem, the problem that makes human to benefit to take advantage of each others, you withdraw the opportunity that makes that system easy, money.

As noted already free guns means more guns and it is actually easier to take advantage of others without money.
Old 10th October 2018, 09:03 AM   #2523
Gaetan
Master Poster

If people would be Saint they would pay the maximum price the work of their neighbour and don't ask to be paid for their work. As Saints have no money they live on charity like Jesus Christ.

Human nature want to be paid for the maximum for their work and not pay for the work of others. Then money has people to try to take advantage of each others and this is no good for the collectivity. Look at a policeman that represent the public order sees a fight between two guys he'll try to separate them but we allow people to fight against each others for the benefit of money. We allow that stupid system works.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 10:24 AM   #2524
Joecool
Master Poster

If people would be Saint they would pay the maximum price the work of their neighbour and don't ask to be paid for their work. As Saints have no money they live on charity like Jesus Christ.
If you aren't paid for your own work, how would you be able to pay the maximum for the work of their neighbor? That's basically the same situation you are protesting now.

Human nature want to be paid for the maximum for their work and not pay for the work of others. Then money has people to try to take advantage of each others and this is no good for the collectivity. Look at a policeman that represent the public order sees a fight between two guys he'll try to separate them but we allow people to fight against each others for the benefit of money. We allow that stupid system works.
That isn't human nature to be paid the maximum and not pay anything in return. It's quite natural to believe that a doctor should be paid more than a guy sweeping floors because doctors provide a valuable service that not everyone in society can do. Whereas anyone, including children are capable of sweeping floors.

Therefore, it's fair to assume that a doctor should earn more than a guy sweeping floors.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 10:40 AM   #2525
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

I don't care to be a saint. Or a Saint.

Quote:
No, people work cooperatively for money. Without money, we would revert to hunter/gatherers and then you would see a fight.

Why do you want people to die brutal deaths fighting each other?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 07:45 PM   #2526
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
No, people work cooperatively for money.
You want to be paid the maximum and he wants to pay you the minimum. Who will solve that question? The Trump judge?
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 08:26 PM   #2527
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

You want to be paid the maximum and he wants to pay you the minimum. Who will solve that question? The Trump judge?
You have a weird Trump fixation. I'd be happy to sell him to you.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 08:05 AM   #2528
Gaetan
Master Poster

You have a weird Trump fixation. I'd be happy to sell him to you.
Money from rich elects politicians in US not people.
Old 11th October 2018, 08:12 AM   #2529
fagin
Philosopher

Er you agree on a figure. It's not rocket science.

Unless obviously, you are a rocket scientist.

The 'you' is generic, it's pretty obvious you are not...
Old 11th October 2018, 10:17 AM   #2530
Joecool
Master Poster

Gaetan, do you have no concept of supply and demand? If I own a business and I need someone to sweep my floors, I might advertise a help wanted sign. I'm sure if I offered to pay zero dollars per hour, nobody will apply for such work. If I offer say $12 an hour, I will get applicants but it will mostly be high schoolers or college kids who need a part time job. If I offer $50 an hour, half of my community will either think it's a scam or they will apply for the job.

The fact that nobody will apply to work for a job that pays zero dollars per hour is really strong evidence that a no money system will not work.
Old 11th October 2018, 10:30 AM   #2531
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

<snip political insanity>
Not sure what that has to do with a no-money "economy" but anyway...

Until you send me all your money and come clean my toilets, nobody believes you. Sorry, that's just the way it is.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:59 PM   #2532
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post

The fact that nobody will apply to work for a job that pays zero dollars per hour is really strong evidence that a no money system will not work.
It doesn't matter the money when everything is free.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:22 PM   #2533
Joecool
Master Poster

Not much will matter when everything is free. The people who clean sewers will stop working because they no longer have to work in order to get stuff. Everything is free.

Things in limited supply such as medicine will get looted because there's not enough for everyone and no more will be made because drug companies, which operate on profits (money) will no longer exist in a no money world.

We will go back to the dark ages where might becomes right.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:42 PM   #2534
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Awesome! I can quit work and I'll have all the mansions and yachts and fast cars and guns I want! Everything is free!
Old 11th October 2018, 05:23 PM   #2535
Leftus
Muse

Resources aren't unlimited. You might want to take a look at the various water crisis in California. Making water free would only serve to make the problems worse, not better.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 07:43 PM   #2536
Gaetan
Master Poster

Awesome! I can quit work and I'll have all the mansions and yachts and fast cars and guns I want! Everything is free!
You agree that people will work so that you can enjoy that.
Old 11th October 2018, 07:45 PM   #2537
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Resources aren't unlimited. You might want to take a look at the various water crisis in California. Making water free would only serve to make the problems worse, not better.
The ocean is full of water, you'll get that in your home at no cost.
Old 12th October 2018, 02:20 AM   #2538
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

No problem. According to YOU they will work for free.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 02:21 AM   #2539
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

How will you desalinate it? How will you get it to all homes?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 03:26 AM   #2540
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
How will you desalinate it? How will you get it to all homes?
I believe in miracles....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by fagin; 12th October 2018 at 03:30 AM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 05:21 AM   #2541
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

You agree that people won't work so we'll be reduced to hunter/gatherer barbarity. You will enjoy that.
Old 12th October 2018, 05:23 AM   #2542
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

The ocean is full of water
Which will be great for people who can drink salt water.

Quote:
you'll get that in your home at no cost.
As long as your home is within walking distance of an ocean.
Old 12th October 2018, 11:43 AM   #2543
Joecool
Master Poster

I don't agree. The moment that the news announces that Gaetan's no money world has taken effect, I will quit working and enjoy free golf, free steak and lobster dinners and free lodging at the nearest Hilton hotel.
Old 12th October 2018, 04:17 PM   #2544
Leftus
Muse

I don't drink salt water. I also don't water my plants with it either.

My monthly water bill is roughly 24 bucks. 80 cents a day. There is zero chance that desalination will make it cheaper. Now I know that you won't take this into consideration, but cheaper also means fewer resources to deliver. Desalination adds more resources, and raises the costs and lowers the feasibility. All you've done is "solve" a resource issue by using more resources which are also limited.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 06:32 AM   #2545
The Man

If everyone were a "Saint" it would diminish the distinction of being, well, a "Saint".

Human nature want to be paid for the maximum for their work and not pay for the work of others.
Your particular disdain for what you perceive to be "Human nature" doesn't actually make it either "Human nature" or just a predominate trend.

Then money has people to try to take advantage of each others and this is no good for the collectivity. Look at a policeman that represent the public order sees a fight between two guys he'll try to separate them but we allow people to fight against each others for the benefit of money. We allow that stupid system works.
Again people can "try to take advantage of each others" and even fight without money. Was the "policeman that represent the public order" not paid to do so?
Old 13th October 2018, 06:37 AM   #2546
The Man

See, that's where the "cooperatively for money" RoboTimbo mentioned comes in and fagin lays it out that they "agree on a figure."
Old 13th October 2018, 07:51 AM   #2547
Leftus
Muse

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
I don't agree. The moment that the news announces that Gaetan's no money world has taken effect, I will quit working and enjoy free golf, free steak and lobster dinners and free lodging at the nearest Hilton hotel.
You probably need to get those reservations in now, since there are only a few hundred rooms at that Hilton and probably the same number of tee times too.

This is the problem that Gaetan is either unwilling or unable to grasp. Money, and in this case, green fees, is what makes golf courses accessible. It provides the barrier that lowers demand so that the supply of tee times is available to those that want it.

That is what most of us know, when there is no cost, demand rises. I don't need another TV, but if it were free, there is no reason I wouldn't take one. This creates waste. It also disincentives maintenance of goods. Why should I maintain my car, fridge, house, washer, dryer, etc. when a new and improved model is there for the taking?
Old 13th October 2018, 07:53 AM   #2548
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
See, that's where the "cooperatively for money" RoboTimbo mentioned comes in and fagin lays it out that they "agree on a figure."
You don't agree, you pay what you have to or Trump judge will take care of that.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:22 AM   #2549
Leftus
Muse

You don't agree, you pay what you have to or Trump judge will take care of that.
That's not the way it works. You only have a "Trump judge" involved if there is some sort of agreement (read - contract) which spells out the activity and compensation that has been agreed to. If there is no agreement, there is nothing for a "Trump judge" to enforce.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:27 AM   #2550
The Man

Trump is not a judge and doesn't dictate what people have to pay for anything other than his own properties and products. As I don't purchase such trump properties and products I don't have to agree with what he might charge for them.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:45 AM   #2551
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

You agree that fixation on authority figures is a sign of religion aberration and mental illness?

Maybe you should go back to talking about money.
Old 13th October 2018, 11:05 AM   #2552
Gaetan
Master Poster

After the murder of the journalist in the Saoudien consul in Turkey Trump must answer questions about his support of the Saoudien cruel regime. Does he put money before the human right?
Old 13th October 2018, 11:43 AM   #2553
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

So you're advocating that everyone should be given millions of dollars so there won't be any incentive to do any crimes?
Old 13th October 2018, 01:21 PM   #2554
fagin
Philosopher

After the murder of the journalist in the Saoudien consul in Turkey Trump must answer questions about his support of the Saoudien cruel regime. Does he put money before the human right?
Dude, Trump puts money before everything, do you live under a rock?
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM   #2555
Joecool
Master Poster

How would a lack of money make this any better?

Money can't buy happiness but it can make your misery more comfortable.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance