ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees

Old 9th October 2018, 04:21 PM   #681
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I have. Here it is for reference:

...and the only difference comparing this and, say, the actions of a James Patrick or Eric Rudolph or Timothy McVeigh, is the severity of the actions taken in revenge (or intended revenge, in Patrick's case). It's quite disingenuous to complain that Democrats are uniquely guilty when such examples of conservative activists are quite well known and much much worse.

And, sure, the actions of James Hodgkinson are similarly severe and deplorable...but then again, I was never ignorant enough to claim it was a uniquely Republican problem, now was I?
No one has been threatened with violence over the nomination of the rapist judge. That said why should people be expected to share restaurants or other public spaces with his kind? They have a right to demand he leave so decent people can enjoy such spaces without the threat of his presence.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 08:24 PM   #682
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You said that the left's recent public harassment was "copying the tactics of the right". That suggests that the right has engaged in the same sort of thing: publicly harassing officials out for a meal with their families.
You're correct. It's not copying, because it's not as extreme as the Right's tactics, which include murder and death threats.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 11:17 PM   #683
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The people bombing Planned Parenthood clinics and threaten doctors and patients are the same who wanted Kavanaugh.

I don't see fanatical democrats bombing gunshows.
Old 10th October 2018, 04:11 AM   #684
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The people bombing Planned Parenthood clinics and threaten doctors and patients are the same who wanted Kavanaugh.

I don't see fanatical democrats bombing gunshows.
Just shooting up baseball games.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 04:14 AM   #685
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Just shooting up baseball games.
You mean the shooter that was taken down by a lesbian cop?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 05:18 AM   #686
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
You mean the shooter that was taken down by a lesbian cop?
What? So if Side A does something against Side B it's negated if someone else from Side A stops it?

What?

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 05:20 AM   #687
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What? So if Side A does something against Side B it's negated if someone else from Side A stops it?

What?
Yep. It shows that side A wasn't responsible at all, but that it was just a lunatic.
Old 10th October 2018, 05:28 AM   #688
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yep. It shows that side A wasn't responsible at all, but that it was just a lunatic.
That... makes no sense. Unless you want to argue there are not Republican/Right Wing/Conservative cops out there that could have gotten the call to report to shooting.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 05:50 AM   #689
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

That... makes no sense. Unless you want to argue there are not Republican/Right Wing/Conservative cops out there that could have gotten the call to report to shooting.
You make no sense trying to equate a lone gunman with the entirety of liberals. Liberals are not calling for violence. The conservative's leader, Trump, has many times.
Old 10th October 2018, 05:53 AM   #690
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You make no sense trying to equate a lone gunman with the entirety of liberals. Liberals are not calling for violence. The conservative's leader, Trump, has many times.
Oh I get it. "Your extremists count, mine don't because I define being an extremist as outside my tribe."

Old 10th October 2018, 06:02 AM   #691
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Oh I get it. "Your extremists count, mine don't because I define being an extremist as outside my tribe."
Not at all. Extremists on the left are fringe. Extremists on the right rule their party.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:26 AM   #692
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Hilited:
Is there any rational reason to have posted that statement? A car is a great honking huge machine made of metal. You can kill someone with one of them - have you heard? You are required, by law, not to kill people or do them bodily harm with your car. Are you also getting out there and running down jaywalkers, or is it just protesters speaking for a cause you don't like?

The hyperbole is pure ********. This was a small handful of protesters and took all of ninety seconds to clear the corner. By law, in Portland ANY pedestrian has a right of way at ANY corner whether it's marked as a crosswalk or not.

Perhaps a vigilante-supporting driver like yourself should have just plowed into Mr. Lexus. I mean, he was disobeying the laws and deserved it, right?

Here is a great example. If you were in this car, would you stop? Or would you advance? Leftist mobs are out of control. If the moderates on the left do not start speaking out against it, they're about to face it themselves.

Also, do you feel those assaulting the car are "protestors" or do they need to be arrested? (do you consider their actions legal?)

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY

Last edited by River; 10th October 2018 at 11:31 AM.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 12:07 PM   #693
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

lesson - if you say beer 21 times, you get the job. Beer, beer...
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 12:11 PM   #694
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
lesson - if you say beer 21 times, you get the job. Beer, beer...
Careful, now. You have to say you like it. You think I would've gotten the job if I said I never drink beer?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 05:55 PM   #695
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by River View Post
Here is a great example. If you were in this car, would you stop? Or would you advance? Leftist mobs are out of control. If the moderates on the left do not start speaking out against it, they're about to face it themselves.

Also, do you feel those assaulting the car are "protestors" or do they need to be arrested? (do you consider their actions legal?)
Those protestors should be arrested. It's okay to go up right to the point of breaking a law as long as you don't go over. The protestors clearly broke the law.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 07:49 PM   #696
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

So murdering lefties in one case is just fine & dandy because of what some other lefties did in some other time & place
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 08:42 PM   #697
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

I learned that the right is going to spin this next month as, "The Democrats, Hillary and George Soros waited until the last minute to bring out a 'rape victim' to lie about a good family man so he wouldn't get on the SCOTUS and they could keep killing babies!"
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 08:50 PM   #698
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I learned that the right is going to spin this next month as, "The Democrats, Hillary and George Soros waited until the last minute to bring out a 'rape victim' to lie about a good family man so he wouldn't get on the SCOTUS and they could keep killing babies!"
That's not so much spin as it is the literal truth.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 08:51 PM   #699
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

That's a funny way to spell ********.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 10:26 PM   #700
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Clean up on the Kool Aid aisle!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 11:46 PM   #701
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I await your evidence of Clinton's involvement in the timing of the allegations, as well as Soro's.
Old 11th October 2018, 02:34 AM   #702
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Oh, dear! You're really not very good at this, are you?

Do you realize that's another angle of the Lexus? Conveniently missing is the part where he drove forward with a protester hanging off the front of his car.

Conveniently missing from your discussions, so I'll ask again..... Are You Aware That Pedestrians in an Intersection in Portland Have the Right of Way?

Conveniently missing is the red herring defense that he has a right to protect his family, 'cuz there ain't no family there.

It's. The. Same. Guy. (Now you can pretend you knew that all along but I suspect you didn't. You were just looking for some graphic evidence to support your reprehensible statement that running down pedestrians is a proper thing to do. As I said, you can easily just retract the statement and get two Be A Man points. Or you can continue digging your hole.)

He decided he needed to turn and he wasn't going to take anything from the protesters so he turned INTO pedestrians walk straight across the crosswalk.

P.S. You might want to notice that the walk light is in favor of the pedestrians. Look closely. Your upstanding citizen, the one with the guy hanging off the hood of his car in the other video, is turning right into a bunch of pedestrians who have the light in their favor!!!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 02:39 AM   #703
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Those protestors should be arrested. It's okay to go up right to the point of breaking a law as long as you don't go over. The protestors clearly broke the law.
Look at BOTH videos. In the first one (which started this discussion) he can clearly be seen to be driving deliberately, albeit slowly, through the protesters. There's a guy hanging off the front of the car. HIS ACTIONS ARE ILLEGAL.

The second video that River posted is from another angle and you can't see the guy draped across the hood of the car. But you can clearly see the walk light in favor of the pedestrians.

Minor infraction for taking vigilante action, but they weren't out to "get him" in spite of the lying headlines and comments in the video River linked to. They were chasing him down to get pictures of him and if he was actually in fear why did he stop his car and get out? Seems to be idiots on both sides. They shouldn't have hit his car with whatever those sticks were. He shouldn't have driven his car illegally through pedestrians (in the guise of protesters).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 06:00 AM   #704
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

"Let’s make sure we show up wherever we have to show up. If you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd, and you push back on them, and you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.”
-- Maxine Waters (June 23, 2018)

"My call to action, please get up in the face of some congress people."
-- Cory Booker (July 25, 2018)

"Michelle Obama always says, 'When they go low, we go high.' No. When they go low, we kick 'em. That’s what this new Democratic Party is about.”
-- Eric Holder (Oct 7, 2018)

"You cannot be civil with a political party that wants to destroy what you stand for, what you care about. That’s why I believe, if we are fortunate enough to win back the House and/or the Senate, that’s when civility can start again."
-- Hillary Clinton (Oct 9, 2018)

"The Second Amendment should now be self-explanatory to all citizens. Weasels like Holder are inciting the Democrat Mob and conservatives must defend themselves."
-- James Woods (Oct 10, 2018)

Concealed carry -- don't leave home without it.

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 11th October 2018 at 06:53 AM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 06:03 AM   #705
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"Letís make sure we show up wherever we have to show up. If you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd, and you push back on them, and you tell them theyíre not welcome anymore, anywhere.Ē
-- Maxine Waters (June 23, 2018)

"My call to action, please get up in the face of some congress people."
-- Corey Booker (July 25, 2018)

"Michelle Obama always says, 'When they go low, we go high.' No. When they go low, we kick 'em. Thatís what this new Democratic Party is about.Ē
-- Eric Holder (Oct 7, 2018)

"You cannot be civil with a political party that wants to destroy what you stand for, what you care about. Thatís why I believe, if we are fortunate enough to win back the House and/or the Senate, thatís when civility can start again."
-- Hillary Clinton (Oct 9, 2018)

"The Second Amendment should now be self-explanatory to all citizens. Weasels like Holder are inciting the Democrat Mob and conservatives must defend themselves."
-- James Woods (Oct 10, 2018)

Concealed carry -- don't leave home without it.
You know it. Unlike some of the liberals here, I will defend myself and my family.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 06:05 AM   #706
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Look at BOTH videos. In the first one (which started this discussion) he can clearly be seen to be driving deliberately, albeit slowly, through the protesters. There's a guy hanging off the front of the car. HIS ACTIONS ARE ILLEGAL.

The second video that River posted is from another angle and you can't see the guy draped across the hood of the car. But you can clearly see the walk light in favor of the pedestrians.

Minor infraction for taking vigilante action, but they weren't out to "get him" in spite of the lying headlines and comments in the video River linked to. They were chasing him down to get pictures of him and if he was actually in fear why did he stop his car and get out? Seems to be idiots on both sides. They shouldn't have hit his car with whatever those sticks were. He shouldn't have driven his car illegally through pedestrians (in the guise of protesters).

Have fun being a victim. I refuse.

Old 11th October 2018, 06:43 AM   #707
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

You know it. Unlike some of the liberals here, I will defend myself and my family.
Do you realize what you're signing onto here? S&A lists things that liberals have said that s/he views as physical threats, then concludes with the "conceal carry" nonsense, as if it's necessary to be armed to protect oneself from the liberal mobs.
Old 11th October 2018, 07:04 AM   #708
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Have fun being a victim. I refuse.
That makes no sense. You're portraying the perp in this instance as a victim and using cheap emotional tricks to garner sympathy for the noble citizen "defending his hearth and home".

What you mean, obviously, is no, you had no idea that you were showing another angle of the incident in question. You just went looking for some friendly rightwing sites showing justified attempted homicide, not realizing you'd already shot your load and missed on this same topic.

Carry on with your fantasy. Glad to know we can count on your "innocent" vote when they finally catch up with the guy who socked Richard Spencer. I mean, apparently disagreeing with someone is sufficient cause to cause them bodily harm in Riverworld.

Old 11th October 2018, 07:05 AM   #709
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Personally, if I see someone driving a vehicle into a group of people, I won't be a victim, either.

Not everyone that's against the current Republican aberration is anti-gun.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 11:12 AM   #710
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Do you realize what you're signing onto here? S&A lists things that liberals have said that s/he views as physical threats, then concludes with the "conceal carry" nonsense, as if it's necessary to be armed to protect oneself from the liberal mobs.

Reporters telling people to not use the word "mob," intermixed with video of the angry "liberal mobs": [Here]
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 11:24 AM   #711
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

A simple look at FBI statistics will show you that right-wing violence outnumbers left-wing violence big a large margin.

for any left-wing act of domestic terrorism, I can give you three right-wing ones.

republicans are worried that democrats might start to catch up to them in terms of accepting violence as a legitimate power move.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 11th October 2018 at 11:26 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 11:26 AM   #712
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
A simple look at FBI statistics will show you that right-wing violence outnumbers left-wing violence big a large margin.

for any left-wing act of domestic terrorism, I can give you three right-wing ones.

republicans are worried that democrats might start to catch up to them.
I wasn't aware they checked for left-right leaning when arresting criminals.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 11:35 AM   #713
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Call me insensitive, but I don't care what happens to lefties who are intentionally blocking the road so they can bully, intimidate, and attack the people they stop. Stay on the sidewalk and mind your own business and you won't have to worry about being run down.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 11:38 AM   #714
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Call me insensitive, but I don't care what happens to lefties who are intentionally blocking the road so they can bully, intimidate, and attack the people they stop. Stay on the sidewalk and mind your own business and you won't have to worry about being run down.
Are you saying they deserved to be run down?

Old 11th October 2018, 11:44 AM   #715
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Are you saying they deserved to be run down?
I said I don't care what happens to liberal mobs blocking roads and trapping people in their cars. It is an aggressive act, and don't be surprised if it is met by an aggressive response, perhaps not at the Czar Nicholas level, though.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 11:47 AM   #716
Belz...
Fiend God

I said I don't care what happens to liberal mobs blocking roads and trapping people in their cars. It is an aggressive act, and don't be surprised if it is met by an aggressive response, perhaps not at the Czar Nicholas level, though.
It's still assault and you're still wrong if you run people over.

Also, do you have evidence that they attacked the driver?

Old 11th October 2018, 11:51 AM   #717
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Reporters telling people to not use the word "mob," intermixed with video of the angry "liberal mobs": [Here]
I have no idea what this means in the context of the discussion. Is this in some way a justification for a concealed gun in order to defend yourself from the "liberal mobs"?

paging Jabberwocky to the red courtesy phone
Old 11th October 2018, 12:12 PM   #718
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's still assault and you're still wrong if you run people over.

Also, do you have evidence that they attacked the driver?
They bullied the driver and when you bully someone in a car, don't be surprised if they try to get away from you any way they can.

Years ago I moved back to Texas and had to take the written driver's test, even though I previously had a Texas driver's license and had an active license from another state. In any case, I missed one question on that test, which concerned a pedestrian in the middle of a street who wasn't at an intersection or in a walkway, and whether or not he had the right-of-way. I said yes, he had the right-of-way, and it was incorrect.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:19 PM   #719
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

They bullied the driver and when you bully someone in a car, don't be surprised if they try to get away from you any way they can.

"The Democrats have become too extreme and theyíve become, frankly, too dangerous to govern. Theyíve gone wacko! You donít give power to an angry left-wing mob."

-- President Donald J. Trump (Oct 10, 2018)
Old 11th October 2018, 12:33 PM   #720
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Years ago I moved back to Texas and had to take the written driver's test, even though I previously had a Texas driver's license and had an active license from another state. In any case, I missed one question on that test, which concerned a pedestrian in the middle of a street who wasn't at an intersection or in a walkway, and whether or not he had the right-of-way. I said yes, he had the right-of-way, and it was incorrect.
Was the video from Texas?

Were the pedestrians in the video near a corner?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics