ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amy Adams , Ellie France , Mark Lundy , murder cases , New Zealand cases

Reply
Old 1st March 2015, 12:07 AM   #281
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,908
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
The original TOD was 7pm, and the reports from the first days of the trial were:



6 hours later is 1:00am on the 30th. The prostitute left Lundy's motel at 12:48am, so he has an iron-clad alibi for 1:00am. The absolute earliest he could have been back in PN is around 2:20 am. Does the gastric evidence plausibly support a TOD that late?

I have no idea what the Crown's case is any more, I'm not sure they do either. It's a dog's breakfast.
This has become an intractible problem for me studying the case. 11pm seems impossible, as does 2 30 am
But 11pm sounds ideal to reconcile the computer evidence, and the habitual evidence.
The stomach is completely empty with a 250 mg solid meal in 2 to 4 hours, and contents should be unrecognisable after 2 hours.

I read scores of clinical studies attempting to understand how Meredith Kercher could eat at 6pm and have an empty duodenum at the earliest time she could die, 9pm, and none of them supported the contention. She supposedly ate a meal roughly equivalent to that required by the standard standard gastric test. I concluded she probably ate a lot later, along with her desert, at 7 30pm.
None of this makes any sense, it seems murder victims have unique metabolisms, a concept obviously unsustainable by causal relationships. A specific study I quoted earlier in the thread, states

The pizza would take roughly two hours to digest within the stomach and if the autopsy was performed and showed that the pizza was still in the stomach then it would be safe to assume the deceased died within two hours

http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/st...-evidence.html

Obviously in this case, with two victims, the data is huge, and there is a deep mystery.

Last edited by Samson; 1st March 2015 at 12:26 AM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 12:27 AM   #282
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,900
Except prostitutes are paid to do or say what you want
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 12:30 AM   #283
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,900
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
It may be time to consult a psychic. I wonder if Noreen Renier is available?
We need a sensing murder special. Guest spirit Sylvia
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 12:33 AM   #284
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,908
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Except prostitutes are paid to do or say what you want
New Zealand is regarded by roaming international researchers as having the most sensible laws regarding financial transactions for sex. These were in place in 2002.

Last edited by Samson; 1st March 2015 at 12:35 AM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 12:37 AM   #285
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
We need a sensing murder special. Guest spirit Sylvia
"I sense the body is near marble and an electrical outlet..."

marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 12:39 AM   #286
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,900
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
New Zealand is regarded by roaming international researchers as having the most sensible laws regarding financial transactions for sex. These were in place in 2002.
Get back to me when you can explain his pathetic attempt at grieving on TV
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 12:52 AM   #287
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
"I sense the body is near marble and an electrical outlet..."

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...pictureid=9573
LOL
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 01:11 AM   #288
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
The evidence presented in court was tame? Wow, you must read some hoopy crime stories.
No, I didn't say it was tame, I said the citation you gave for the "silhouette" said nothing at all about a silhouette and certainly didn't make it sound like the curtains were soaked in blood as you seem to be implying. Hence, it was tamer.

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Repeat: the perp was covered in blood from head to toe.
Repeat: do you have a cite for this? I haven't seen anything that suggests this in what you've posted. Where did you see the photos if they're no longer available?

As I understand it, your belief in his guilt is that the crime scene was so violent and blood-soaked that the murders could only have been committed by someone close to the victims. Fine. I just want to see some evidence for this belief and so far you haven't provided any.

I'm prepared to go along with this silhouette / super-violent crime scene thing, but not on hearsay.
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 01:23 AM   #289
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,900
As I said earlier as long as we don't have to pay compo the slimey murdering scum can do whatever he wants.

Good luck trying to find a job
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 02:07 AM   #290
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,511
Originally Posted by lonepinealex View Post
Repeat: do you have a cite for this? I haven't seen anything that suggests this in what you've posted. Where did you see the photos if they're no longer available?
The photos have never been available to view to the public, and never will be as far as I'm aware.

Originally Posted by lonepinealex View Post
As I understand it, your belief in his guilt is that the crime scene was so violent and blood-soaked that the murders could only have been committed by someone close to the victims. Fine. I just want to see some evidence for this belief and so far you haven't provided any.

I'm prepared to go along with this silhouette / super-violent crime scene thing, but not on hearsay.
Hearsay is all you're going to get aside from the evidence presented in court, but do note that the violence and blood have nothing to do with evidence for Lundy or someone close to have committed the crime - all the blood proves is that someone had a massive clean-up after the event.

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
As I said earlier as long as we don't have to pay compo the slimey murdering scum can do whatever he wants.

Good luck trying to find a job
Pah; he'll get a job no problems, same as all the other murderers who do. Soulan Pownceby made the goddamned Olympic team after he'd got out of jail and there was a murderer on the X Factor last week.

There are enough supporters of Lundy that he will have no trouble at all.

I understand he has even got a girlfriend now. Is she showing up in court?

You need to learn more about human nature. Oscar Psitorius was turning up to court with his new woman, as was Simon Gittany, and as no doubt Gable Tostee will do.

Jesus, even Charles Manson has no trouble finding women, even if the latest one only did want him for his body.

As Mark Twain said over a century ago - no matter how vile a crime has been committed, there will always be supporters of the perpetrator. (referring to support for Injun Joe in Tom Sawyer)
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 02:16 AM   #291
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
The photos have never been available to view to the public, and never will be as far as I'm aware.



Hearsay is all you're going to get aside from the evidence presented in court, but do note that the violence and blood have nothing to do with evidence for Lundy or someone close to have committed the crime - all the blood proves is that someone had a massive clean-up after the event.

So how and when did you see the photos? I thought you said you hadn't been following the evidence?

Re: second paragraph. The evidence presented in court (according to the news reports of it anyway) is not consistent with the idea you've been presenting that the murderer was soaked from head to toe in blood.

So what does make you think it was Lundy? Your emphasis on the violence seemed to be in response to people asking why you're so sure. So why are you so sure, if that's not it? Is it just the supposed premeditation? Why would that make it indisputably Lundy?
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 04:04 AM   #292
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,155
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Get back to me when you can explain his pathetic attempt at grieving on TV
There is no "correct" way to grieve; everyone's reactions to loss is personal to them.

The general public of Australia convicted Lindy Chamberlain in their own minds because she didn't act the way they expected. The way she was publicly treated was a disgrace, and reflected very badly on Australians as a whole.
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 04:13 AM   #293
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,908
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There is no "correct" way to grieve; everyone's reactions to loss is personal to them.

The general public of Australia convicted Lindy Chamberlain in their own minds because she didn't act the way they expected. The way she was publicly treated was a disgrace, and reflected very badly on Australians as a whole.
It may be a strangely validating experience.
You lose everyone you love.
You lose your liberty, but not your life. (those cases are better examined).
Everyone knows all about you.

Let us see how pending cases deliver justice with everyone knowing.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 04:36 AM   #294
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
Two days after my father died I was back at school, cracking jokes and confusing my friends with my "weird" behaviour. I repressed that grief.

Anyone who thinks they know how someone should react to death / murder / shocking news of any kind is mistaken.
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 05:05 AM   #295
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,908
Originally Posted by lonepinealex View Post
Two days after my father died I was back at school, cracking jokes and confusing my friends with my "weird" behaviour. I repressed that grief.

Anyone who thinks they know how someone should react to death / murder / shocking news of any kind is mistaken.
Your grief was unexceptional, but very personal, it is quite hard for people to correctly perceive how rapidly their passing will be accomodated in the lives of others...
which is weird here.
We have an uninvolved Lundy to imagine.
And an involved Lundy. The thread is starved of anyone that has a physically involved Lundy.
Three permutations.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 09:40 AM   #296
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges
 
isissxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 4,932
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Except prostitutes are paid to do or say what you want
Suggesting that just because someone is a sex worker she would be willing to lie and help someone cover up a vicious murder? That isn't helpful.

There are sex workers out there who would tell a lie like that, just like there are non-sex workers who would as well. Most would not. We're talking about two completely different universes of "crime."
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 09:47 AM   #297
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,967
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There is no "correct" way to grieve; everyone's reactions to loss is personal to them.

The general public of Australia convicted Lindy Chamberlain in their own minds because she didn't act the way they expected. The way she was publicly treated was a disgrace, and reflected very badly on Australians as a whole.
The Lindy Chamberlain case has caused me to severely wish that nothing suspicious ever happens to a loved one (other then of course just not wanting anything bad to happen to a loved one) because apparently I grieve like so many people have just up and decided an innocent person is supposed to grieve like.

I grieve hard, but I get very outwardly calm and have odds fits of dark humor, it's just how I cope. So I doubt a jury would have to work hard to convince themselves of me doing some nefarious.

No one should take a quick trip on a short rope because they didn't throw themselves on the coffin as it was being lowered into the ground or show up to the trail dressed in Victorian Mourning Wear and communicate entirely through heaving sobs.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 10:01 AM   #298
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges
 
isissxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 4,932
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
The Lindy Chamberlain case has caused me to severely wish that nothing suspicious ever happens to a loved one (other then of course just not wanting anything bad to happen to a loved one) because apparently I grieve like so many people have just up and decided an innocent person is supposed to grieve like.

I grieve hard, but I get very outwardly calm and have odds fits of dark humor, it's just how I cope. So I doubt a jury would have to work hard to convince themselves of me doing some nefarious.

No one should take a quick trip on a short rope because they didn't throw themselves on the coffin as it was being lowered into the ground or show up to the trail dressed in Victorian Mourning Wear and communicate entirely through heaving sobs.
I'm exactly the same way and have had exactly the same thought.

People would do well to read a little into the psychology of grief. The so-called "5 stages of grief" are basically woo, and by no means universal even when they do loosely apply. Grief is as diverse as the people who experience it.

Putting people under a microscope during a process like that just isn't going to go well in 99.9999999% of cases. The court of public opinion is basically a mob.

For the record, I'm not saying this guy didn't do it. I have no idea. I find the case interesting. I'm just pointing out what I perceive as errors in thinking where I see them. Even if he did do it, how he grieved on camera is no kind of evidence.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 11:37 AM   #299
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator
 
Charlie Wilkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,177
Demeanor "evidence" is pure bunk. I suppose one has to follow quite a few murder investigations to appreciate how naive it is to imagine one can divine guilt by observing how a suspect behaves.

The reference I like to cite is Maggie Haines, a college girl who joked with police and munched donuts after her entire family was knifed to death by a mysterious intruder whom she had not even seen.

Maggie fled into the night while the attack was in progress. She escaped the carnage without injury, her story did not fit with the evidence at the crime scene, and her demeanor seemed to be that of a cold and self-absorbed psychopath.

She immediately made herself a suspect, but she didn't do it. Alec Kreider, a teenage friend of one of the murder victims, did it for kicks. When police talked to him, he seemed genuinely concerned and baffled by the murders. He did not in any way attract suspicion.

After a few months, however, Kreider became suicidal and was committed to a psychiatric facility, where he confessed to the murders. His confession was corroborated by physical evidence and a knowledge of facts that had not been released to the public.

The Lundy case sounds more like murder for cause than a thrill killing, but I'm far from sure about that. The crime scene photos would tell us a lot.

Lundy's demeanor tells us nothing. The facts of his alibi tell us he could not plausibly have done what prosecutors claim he did. I won't waste much time trying to clue in people who think they can tell Lundy is guilty just by looking at him. Websleuths is thataway ->]

Meanwhile, those of us who wonder what really happened have an interesting murder case to examine. We need much more information than what we have. We may have to accept that we'll never know.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 12:36 PM   #300
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,511
Originally Posted by lonepinealex View Post
Is it just the supposed premeditation? Why would that make it indisputably Lundy?
Already answered - see above.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There is no "correct" way to grieve; everyone's reactions to loss is personal to them.

The general public of Australia convicted Lindy Chamberlain in their own minds because she didn't act the way they expected. The way she was publicly treated was a disgrace, and reflected very badly on Australians as a whole.
It's not the way Lundy acted, but the inconsistency of his actions.

One second unable to stand unsupported, then when the cameras are off, switching to a totally different, cheerful mode. Lundy was putting on an act for the public.

That is not consistent with a grieving father & husband.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 12:45 PM   #301
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Already answered - see above.
Humour me, which answer specifically?


ETA: every time I've been through the grieving process, which is more times than typical for someone my age, unforch, my behaviour has been so wildly inconsistent that it's surprised me. Literally going from bawling my eyes out one minute to laughing and joking the next. I don't think the human brain is capable of feeling one emotion continually for long periods of time.

Last edited by lonepinealex; 1st March 2015 at 12:48 PM.
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 12:54 PM   #302
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
By the way, The Atheist, do you have references for Lundy's behaviour at that time? How did he know when the cameras were off, and how does anyone else know how he behaved if it was not on camera?
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 01:04 PM   #303
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,155
Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
The reference I like to cite is Maggie Haines, a college girl who joked with police and munched donuts after her entire family was knifed to death by a mysterious intruder whom she had not even seen.
This is not uncommon. People react in different ways, and something like this is often a psychological defence mechanism against having to deal with a reality they desperately want to reject.

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It's not the way Lundy acted, but the inconsistency of his actions.

One second unable to stand unsupported, then when the cameras are off, switching to a totally different, cheerful mode. Lundy was putting on an act for the public.

That is not consistent with a grieving father & husband.
Lundy's behaviour was unusual, but not unheard of; anyone old enough to have been to a few funerals of friends and family will recognise it - a person who was inconsolable one moment, recovered and happy the next. Grief is often an emotional roller-coaster, the person grieving is just along for the ride and has no control over where their grief is taking them. The problem for the observer is that they only get a snapshot of the person's grief, a few moments, and then they are trying to extrapolate that into a judgement of the griever's personality. Making such judgements is fraught with error.


http://thoughtcatalog.com/katherine-...u-about-grief/
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st March 2015 at 01:34 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 01:49 PM   #304
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,900
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This is not uncommon. People react in different ways, and something like this is often a psychological defence mechanism against having to deal with a reality they desperately want to reject.



Lundy's behaviour was unusual, but not unheard of; anyone old enough to have been to a few funerals of friends and family will recognise it - a person who was inconsolable one moment, recovered and happy the next. Grief is often an emotional roller-coaster, the person grieving is just along for the ride and has no control over where their grief is taking them. The problem for the observer is that they only get a snapshot of the person's grief, a few moments, and then they are trying to extrapolate that into a judgement of the griever's personality. Making such judgements is fraught with error.


http://thoughtcatalog.com/katherine-...u-about-grief/
That would be fine if it weren't for the fact he was obviously acting....................badly
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 02:50 PM   #305
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,155
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
That would be fine if it weren't for the fact he was obviously acting....................badly
Its obvious to you perhaps. You are biased, and you project that bias onto your interpretation of how he has behaved,

You think he's guilty
therefore he must be acting
therefore he must be guilty.

This is another example of boot-strapping. I'll bet you didn't think that when you saw him before he was even a suspect. Fortunately, the way people behave when they grieve is not evidence in a court of Law.

The way he collapsed and needed support can easily be interpreted as being overcome with grief. I collapsed at work and had to be help up when my Mum phoned me and told me that my Dad had died suddenly. If you had seen me, I guess you would have said I was acting too.
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 02:54 PM   #306
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
That would be fine if it weren't for the fact he was obviously acting....................badly
What's "obvious" acting? If you feel he was insincere in his grief, that's simply a subjective opinion and holds even less water than the half-blind psychic who says she saw him running down the street after the killings dressed as a woman.

Unless the Crown can provide some solid physical evidence linking Lundy to the murders, even give some plausible way he could have committed them from 150km away, he can be the king of ham for all I care.
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 03:19 PM   #307
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,967
And the fact that someone is acting differently when cameras are on this doesn't mean they are putting on a show. Being filmed can just make someone nervous, agitated or amplifying an emotional state they are already in.

But as always it's a shame that everyone who can "just tell" guilt from innocence at a glance never wind up on juries. I was afraid from the moment this subforum was suggested that it was going to quickly devolve into nothing but armchair lawyers, criminologist, and psychologists.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 03:25 PM   #308
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
And the fact that someone is acting differently when cameras are on this doesn't mean they are putting on a show. Being filmed can just make someone nervous, agitated or amplifying an emotional state they are already in.

But as always it's a shame that everyone who can "just tell" guilt from innocence at a glance never wind up on juries. I was afraid from the moment this subforum was suggested that it was going to quickly devolve into nothing but armchair lawyers, criminologist, and psychologists.

lol, that's a bit alarmist. You'll always get people with confirmation bias, on every subject. It's not like the rest of the forum is any better.
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 05:41 PM   #309
Elagabalus
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,027
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Its obvious to you perhaps. You are biased, and you project that bias onto your interpretation of how he has behaved,

You think he's guilty
therefore he must be acting
therefore he must be guilty.

This is another example of boot-strapping. I'll bet you didn't think that when you saw him before he was even a suspect. Fortunately, the way people behave when they grieve is not evidence in a court of Law.

The way he collapsed and needed support can easily be interpreted as being overcome with grief. I collapsed at work and had to be help up when my Mum phoned me and told me that my Dad had died suddenly. If you had seen me, I guess you would have said I was acting too.
This thing is bigger than that!

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
He had a mate maybe.

There are certain times when we as kiwis know some one is talking pants. French player Bastaraud sprung to mind. I know it sounds unfounded but the dude was play acting.
It's all about National Character now!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 07:08 PM   #310
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,511
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
That would be fine if it weren't for the fact he was obviously acting....................badly
Mate, you know it and I know it, but I'm loving the people who are trying to make it out as natural. I wish I knew where those videos were, because it was so goddamned blatantly obvious.

All I can say is, thank christ the scumbag at least served ten years.

Gotta say, the bad news is, he looks a lot better now than when he went to jail. A huge shame someone didn't shank him while he was in there.

C'est la vie.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 07:30 PM   #311
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator
 
Charlie Wilkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,177
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
And the fact that someone is acting differently when cameras are on this doesn't mean they are putting on a show. Being filmed can just make someone nervous, agitated or amplifying an emotional state they are already in.

But as always it's a shame that everyone who can "just tell" guilt from innocence at a glance never wind up on juries. I was afraid from the moment this subforum was suggested that it was going to quickly devolve into nothing but armchair lawyers, criminologist, and psychologists.
Every time I go to Starbucks it devolves into a cup of coffee. I guess I should either adjust my expectations or enjoy the coffee, eh?
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 07:45 PM   #312
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,155
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Mate, you know it and I know it, but I'm loving the people who are trying to make it out as natural.
Nice strawman there. No one is arguing that. We are saying that is a subjective judgement and its not admissible as evidence in a court of Law

I know that my collapse wasn't playacting when my Mum told me that my Dad had died suddenly.
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 07:55 PM   #313
Elagabalus
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,027
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
.... I wish I knew where those videos were, because it was so goddamned blatantly obvious.....

I wish I knew where they were, too because I haven't been able to find any. If you find any please let us know. I'd also be interested in seeing that episode of "Beyond the Darklands" with Nigel Latta giving the viewer special insight into the mind of Mark Lundy.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 07:59 PM   #314
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,908
Chris Morrison says use email and FB instead of skype. Unlikely to have much but you never know.
I suggested ask him about Local real estate agent Sheridan Martin Murphy.

Last edited by Samson; 1st March 2015 at 08:06 PM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 08:36 PM   #315
TomB
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 438
My brothers and I were gathered at my parents house when we got the call from the nursing home that my dad had died. I don't recall anyone breaking down. In fact, we had a pleasant sad, but humorous conversation.

The day of his funeral, I was back and forth between jovial and joking and completely non-functional. Certain events, particularly when they gave my mom the flag at the grave site, made me break down. This lasted for a few minutes each time, and then I was back to normal. That day was oddly back and forth between smiling and joking and sobbing uncontrollably. It's almost bipolar.

Now, consider this: How much worse must it be if the deceased was murdered? You're still going through this bipolar roller coaster ride, but now you're doing so with police, reporters and amateur internet psychologists watching your behavior thinking they can solve the crime based on how you act. It just might occur to you that it would be in your best interest to appear the way you think everyone expects you to appear.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 09:20 PM   #316
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I wish I knew where they were, too because I haven't been able to find any. If you find any please let us know. I'd also be interested in seeing that episode of "Beyond the Darklands" with Nigel Latta giving the viewer special insight into the mind of Mark Lundy.
I saw it when it first aired, but can't find it anywhere now. Here's the kind of "special insight" you can expect from the episode (from a review):

Quote:
Using interviews with the Lundys' relatives and circle of friends, alongside Latta's insights, the programme chronicled a long history of narcissism, exhibitionism, inappropriate behaviour, alcohol abuse and grandiosity.
Quote:
Latta says the seeds of Lundy's evil were probably germinated by his being bullied at school, experiences attested to by an old schoolfriend.
Quote:
Though he established and ran a business, this too only fed his fantasist tendencies. He fancied himself a budding tycoon, nurturing unrealistic ambitions that rocketed after the murders, when he planned an ostentatious luxury home.

The extent of his self-delusion was underlined by his attempt to establish the apparent theft of Christine's jewellery box as proof of a robbery-murder committed by a stranger. It was a paltry prize for a burglar to resort to double murder over, and no straight-out burglar would mutilate an inconveniently present householder so violently. But in Lundy's mind, no-one could possibly suspect him.
The whole episode was psycho-babble, working backwards from a guilty verdict to "the signs were always there, even as a small boy" in a pompous, know-it-all sort of way, and completely ignoring any of the evidence. I wouldn't take any notice of Nigel Latta, he's a nitwit who should stick to his pop-parenting/bad standup routine.

Last edited by Hard Cheese; 1st March 2015 at 09:22 PM.
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2015, 09:36 PM   #317
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,908
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
I saw it when it first aired, but can't find it anywhere now. Here's the kind of "special insight" you can expect from the episode (from a review):







The whole episode was psycho-babble, working backwards from a guilty verdict to "the signs were always there, even as a small boy" in a pompous, know-it-all sort of way, and completely ignoring any of the evidence. I wouldn't take any notice of Nigel Latta, he's a nitwit who should stick to his pop-parenting/bad standup routine.
I recommend you see what they say about Knox and Sollecito on PMF dot org and dot net to see how this process works flawlessly everytime.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:25 AM   #318
Octavo
Illuminator
 
Octavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,485
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
The lights, yes, the computer - not so sure. The killer(s) must have done a proper orderly shutdown to get a 10.52pm shutdown time recorded in the logs. It'd be simpler just turning the computer off at the wall, no light from the computer, and no chance of getting blood or DNA material on it in the process. In fact, if they'd just flicked it off at the wall, there would be no record of when it was turned off.
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Not quite right. There could be a record of the last time something was entered in the "Event Log" (assuming a Windows 95/98/2000/ME computer).
It hardly matters what operating system was used. All modern PC's store shutdown/power down times as a matter of course. Even if you unplug it from the wall socket, capacitors ensure that the PC still has time to write the power-down time to the logs.

The computer may have powered down after a power surge. It might have been shut down manually. It might even have been instructed to shut down remotely. There simply isn't enough information to conclude anything about the computer shut down time and what it means.

If we had confirmation that the shut-down was a properly controlled, user-initiated shut-down, we can at least narrow the possibilities, but the information we have to hand so far can tell us nothing about whom or what caused the computer to turn off.
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:50 AM   #319
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 9,155
Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
It hardly matters what operating system was used. All modern PC's store shutdown/power down times as a matter of course. Even if you unplug it from the wall socket, capacitors ensure that the PC still has time to write the power-down time to the logs.
Remember, this is August 2000, so no XP

Win 95/98
Win ME
Win 2000
Mac OS9
OS/2 Warp
__________________
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:58 AM   #320
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,908
Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
It hardly matters what operating system was used. All modern PC's store shutdown/power down times as a matter of course. Even if you unplug it from the wall socket, capacitors ensure that the PC still has time to write the power-down time to the logs.

The computer may have powered down after a power surge. It might have been shut down manually. It might even have been instructed to shut down remotely. There simply isn't enough information to conclude anything about the computer shut down time and what it means.

If we had confirmation that the shut-down was a properly controlled, user-initiated shut-down, we can at least narrow the possibilities, but the information we have to hand so far can tell us nothing about whom or what caused the computer to turn off.
The murders were in august 2000.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.