ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Clinton controversies , hillary clinton

Old 31st May 2018, 08:23 AM   #361
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Yes, I suppose off topic and false attacks suggesting that one's opponents are racist are indeed quite banal, I was referring to the admissions that was what was occurring as being remarkable.

Indeed refreshing!
Again, the language has tripped you. You don't have to be racist to be a racism fan. You simply have to show your enthusiasm and support for widely known racists and their racists actions. That doesn't make you racist unless you are also acting in a racist manner.

For example: I'm a huge fan of drag performers but I am not in fact a drag queen, I am a drag fan. #RuPaulsDragRace (Available on iTunes)

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 10:28 AM   #362
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Again, the language has tripped you. You don't have to be racist to be a racism fan. You simply have to show your enthusiasm and support for widely known racists and their racists actions. That doesn't make you racist unless you are also acting in a racist manner.

For example: I'm a huge fan of drag performers but I am not in fact a drag queen, I am a drag fan. #RuPaulsDragRace (Available on iTunes)

I'm not sure that analogy works very well.

To be a fan of a performer means that at least on some level you respect them for what they are doing. You might not be able to do it yourself, but your appreciation for them is rooted in that respect.

To be a fan of racists or bigots suggests that the person respects that racism or bigotry. Hard to do that without sharing their beliefs, because racism and bigotry isn't about talent or ability, it's about beliefs.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 11:51 AM   #363
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I'm not sure that analogy works very well.

To be a fan of a performer means that at least on some level you respect them for what they are doing. You might not be able to do it yourself, but your appreciation for them is rooted in that respect.

To be a fan of racists or bigots suggests that the person respects that racism or bigotry. Hard to do that without sharing their beliefs, because racism and bigotry isn't about talent or ability, it's about beliefs.
Yeah, that is a good point about a weakness in my chosen analogy, but I actually think one can have respect for some beliefs they don't share. For instance, I'm a fan of deism. I'm not a deist but I respect those who hold deistic beliefs and I think it is a good place for those who are disillusioned with religion to land. At various times I've also been intrigued by buddhism and Catholicism while never actually believing in the tenants of either. At those times I was fans of those beliefs even if I did not hold them. (Hint: It is very hard to join a Catholic church and not lie about your beliefs that differ from the church teachings. But, they will take your money even if you don't share their beliefs.)

I think you can see this in Priests and other religious leaders who have admitted that they no longer believe the faith, but they believe in the power of the organization. Or even regular Brits who like the COE without believing in the faith. One can be a fan Anglicism without being an Anglican.

ETA: My real point is a linguistic one, though. Calling someone a Nazi fan is not the same as calling someone a Nazi. Further, noting that Nazi fans sure are impacting the price of tiki torches is not calling anyone who buys a tiki torch a nazi fan or a nazi.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 31st May 2018 at 11:53 AM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 01:59 PM   #364
Cabbage
Muse

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'm sure that you find your own words hilarious, but must you end every post with LOL?
I like to do it when I'm mocking logger. LOL
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 04:42 PM   #365
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I like to do it when I'm mocking logger. LOL
Might be time to give it a rest, in my humble opinion.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 06:46 PM   #366
Cabbage
Muse

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Might be time to give it a rest, in my humble opinion.
It seems to be serving its purpose. LOL
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2018, 09:24 PM   #367
Toontown
Philosopher

She's done again already?

Are the Republicans planning to run against her in the midterms? Does it matter that she won't be running for any office?

You know, that whole Bengazi thing still hasn't been entirely unraveled. Let's follow that last tattered thread to it's illogical conclusion.
Old 1st June 2018, 01:09 AM   #368
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post

Are the Republicans planning to run against her in the midterms? Does it matter that she won't be running for any office?

You know, that whole Bengazi thing still hasn't been entirely unraveled. Let's follow that last tattered thread to it's illogical conclusion.
Well, I'm afraid Trey Gowdy is now over in RINO-ville. Just too supportive of Mueller and the FBI. So they'll need to get Nunes and some of his whackjob buddies on the next congressional committee (didn't Gowdy ask for a transfer off his old committee, anyway?).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 07:27 AM   #369
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post

She’s the gift that keeps on giving.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 07:28 AM   #370
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Well, I'm afraid Trey Gowdy is now over in RINO-ville. Just too supportive of Mueller and the FBI. So they'll need to get Nunes and some of his whackjob buddies on the next congressional committee (didn't Gowdy ask for a transfer off his old committee, anyway?).
No you have that wrong, he’s establishment and has been since the biginning.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 08:03 AM   #371
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by logger View Post
She’s the gift that keeps on giving.
How absolutely wonderful for you.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 08:08 AM   #372
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

No you have that wrong, he’s establishment and has been since the biginning.
When was that big inning? Bottom of the sixth?

Deep State's gonna gitchu.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 08:18 AM   #373
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

These days, it seems "establishment" means "still has a few political principles."

I don't like Gowdy much, but there are at least some lines he won't cross. I can't predict those lines, honestly, but they seem to exist.

But some seem to think that failure to fall in line and defend Trump on every occasion is an unforgivable sin of being "establishment". So Nunes isn't establishment, but Gowdy is.

ETA: Nunes was first elected in 2003, Gowdy in 2011.

Last edited by phiwum; 1st June 2018 at 08:20 AM.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 08:28 AM   #374
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
How absolutely wonderful for you.
I know, how horrible for the left.
Old 1st June 2018, 08:29 AM   #375
logger
Banned

Lol, it’s been the whole game.

Quote:
Old 1st June 2018, 08:52 AM   #376
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

That must be why you are such a winner.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 09:12 AM   #377
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Newsflash! Older lady wears coat! We knew this act by a non-candidate would totally destroy the left forever!
Old 1st June 2018, 10:36 AM   #378
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Newsflash! Older lady wears coat! We knew this act by a non-candidate would totally destroy the left forever!
Thanks for proving my point!
Old 1st June 2018, 09:38 PM   #379
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Hillary who?
Old 1st June 2018, 10:06 PM   #380
Lambchops
Muse

Thanks for proving my point!
The point being that you have no idea what you are saying?

Yeah, you're welcome.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:49 AM   #381
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Harvard gives Hillary Clinton award for 'transforming society' -- even when you lose you get a trophy

Earlier this year in India Hillary said that sexism and racism were why she lost the election.

But interestingly, when given the choice between endorsing a man or a woman in the New York gubernatorial race, Hillary, the former Empire State Senator and feminist icon who believes people are uneasy with women in leadership, chose to endorse Governor Andrew Cuomo over Cynthia Nixon this week.

New York has never had a woman governor. Wouldn’t electing Nixon be truly transformative? That’s what women were told in 2016 when it came to voting for president.

And yet, there’s something eerily familiar about Hillary’s nixing of Nixon. Mrs. Clinton has always been the queen of the double standard, why should this instance be any different?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/...et-trophy.html (May 29, 2018)

This has to be terrible news for all the girl power pussy-hat social justice warriors -- Cynthia Nixon gets snubbed by feminist icon Hillary Clinton.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:19 AM   #382
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
This has to be terrible news for all the girl power pussy-hat social justice warriors -- Cynthia Nixon gets snubbed by feminist icon Hillary Clinton.
And they say conservatives are slow?

It took Fox 4 days to come up with that witty headline? And hell, they were inspired by the people who gave the award who termed it "for all her battles, won and lost".

And it took you another four to post it here as breaking news. Please note the outfit. It's one of the back-brace-hiding costumes being discussed above. Do read a few pages now and then.

Old 2nd June 2018, 06:53 AM   #383
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Joy Reid on Hillary’s ‘Male Ambitions’

There’s plenty more eyebrow-raising passages in the old blog of MSNBC host Joy Reid:

“Everybody knows everything there probably is to know about the Clintons — good and bad. Americans have already taken it into account. That means that Hillary can only do one of two things, when it comes to the non-traditional, general election audiences she needs to woo: she can either confirm their worst suspicions about her (that she’s a social climbing shrew who let her hubby pork another woman and get away with it so she could fulfill her own, venomous and strangely male ambitions) … or, she can pleasantly surprise them, the way she has done with Republican-leaning upstate New Yorkers and Republican members of the Senate. My bet is that Hillary has the discipline and the skills to do the latter.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ale-ambitions/ (June 1, 2018)

Shrew: a bad-tempered or mean-spirited woman; aggressively assertive woman -- synonyms: witch, hag, battle-ax, old bat.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 06:58 AM   #384
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Shrew: a bad-tempered or mean-spirited woman; aggressively assertive woman -- synonyms: witch, hag, battle-ax, old bat.
That sounds exactly like what people like yourself, lgger, etc. say about her - so Joy has got you both dead to rights there.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:04 AM   #385
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
The point being that you have no idea what you are saying?

Yeah, you're welcome.
The point being the left also cannot stop talking about what a moron she is, I’m happy to explain something so simple to you. Again, how horrible for the left!
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:22 AM   #386
NoahFence
Banned

NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 06:12 PM   #387
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

If Hillary was not done, her sleazy *********** husband just put the final nail in the coffin with his complete meltdown after about being called out for his extensive history of sexual abuse and harassment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fd532aceec7b
Old 5th June 2018, 06:16 PM   #388
Lambchops
Muse

It's a true shame that the lying criminal Killary was elected for POTUS.

Now she's ruining everything.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2018, 06:27 PM   #389
logger
Banned

If Hillary was not done, her sleazy *********** husband just put the final nail in the coffin with his complete meltdown after about being called out for his extensive history of sexual abuse and harassment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fd532aceec7b
The predator in chief sure picked an appropriate time to crawl out from under that rock. Lol
Old 5th June 2018, 09:49 PM   #390
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Impeach them both and never let them stand for President again!

Yawn..........

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 07:35 AM   #391
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The predator in chief sure picked an appropriate time to crawl out from under that rock. Lol
I'm guessing the responses will be something "clever" like "she's not the President lololo"
Old 6th June 2018, 04:04 PM   #392
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

He's not either....
Old 7th June 2018, 05:55 AM   #393
Parsman
Muse

She isn't the President. neither is Bill. Bill in his personal life seems a bit of a sleaze, having an affair with an intern. But guess what. Trump in his personal life seems a bit of a sleaze, married 3 times and cheated on his current wife with at least 2 porn stars, one of them while his wife was pregnant. The virtue signalling from the right wingers in the forum seems very inappropriate when you consider those facts.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2018, 06:07 AM   #394
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

An humble suggestion for a new critical thinking Rule:

Rule of Guess What: when a post includes the phrase "guess what" whataboutism invariably follows....
Old 7th June 2018, 07:16 AM   #395
surrogate
Critical Thinker

An humble suggestion for a new critical thinking Rule:

Rule of Guess What: when a post includes the phrase "guess what" whataboutism invariably follows....
So, guess what, nobody gives a crap about your made up rules.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2018, 03:31 PM   #396
Silly Green Monkey

Dragging up decades-old sexual misconduct IS whataboutism to distract from current misconduct from people who are in power and actually matter.
Old 7th June 2018, 03:39 PM   #397
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Dragging up decades-old sexual misconduct IS whataboutism to distract from current misconduct from people who are in power and actually matter.
Another fine example of whataboutism.

Guess what. I will certainly take one's complaint to the fine folks at The Today Show and let them know that one does not approve of them having the temerity to question Bill Clinton on their news programs while he is just trying to go out and sell books.
Old 7th June 2018, 03:40 PM   #398
Silly Green Monkey

Is he the president? Does he have any input into matters of state? Are you planning to buy his books? Just asking questions here.
Old 7th June 2018, 03:41 PM   #399
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Is he the president? Does he have any input into matters of state? Are you planning to buy his books? Just asking questions here.
Yes, yes, we get it, leave Bill alone.

check.
Old 7th June 2018, 03:44 PM   #400
Silly Green Monkey

Kennedy's sexual misconduct seems relevant here, too. Didn't he do Marilyn Monroe along with his brother?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics