ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Clinton controversies , hillary clinton

Old 10th October 2018, 09:06 AM   #641
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Do you have a quote of her saying the mob behavior is condoned by her? Or is someone on the right making a false connection?
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 09:08 AM   #642
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Do you have a quote of her saying the mob behavior is condoned by her? Or is someone on the right making a false connection?
What is this "mob behavior?" Demonstrations against Kavanaugh have been peaceful and non-violent. The Repubs seem to think that any opposition to their minority rule is somehow unAmerican.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 09:21 AM   #643
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Good point that Hillary and her husband have chosen to slither out from under their rocks right before the mid-terms.

Classic Hildawg
Yeah who'd expect former Democratic politicians to come out to campaign or help their party for the elections?

So beyond the pale!

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 09:34 AM   #644
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah who'd expect former Democratic politicians to come out to campaign or help hurt their party for the elections?

Fixed that for you.
Old 10th October 2018, 09:43 AM   #645
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
I think her discourse now is a little bit dangerous. I don't like the implications there.

It's one thing to call us deplorable, irredeemable, laugh at people who don't have all the privileges that she has had, with her Ivy League law degree and through her marriage to a much more popular man who was a two-term president that she'll never be.

I know she and her husband are going to go out there and have a 13-stop tour. She needs to be seated next to him, I guess to get the crowds in there.

I have a pretty good idea why the Democratic candidates this time aren't asking her to campaign with them, which is rich and ironic. And it's one thing to disagree, but you ought to disagree civilly, and her saying you can't be civil to a party that was looking to destroy your ideas is very dangerous. It takes it to a different level.

-- Kellyanne Conway (Oct 10, 2018)

It sounds like a good old fashioned cat fight: (Seinfeld)
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 09:57 AM   #646
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah who'd expect former Democratic politicians to come out to campaign or help hurt their party for the elections?

Fixed that for you.
That has no bearing on what I said, but nice dodge.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 10:00 AM   #647
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That has no bearing on what I said, but nice dodge.

Pointing out how wrong you were in your sarcastic little snip has "no bearing on what" you said?

'k.

/hoo boy.....
Old 10th October 2018, 10:11 AM   #648
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay I'm convinced. Hillary Clinton shouldn't be President. Let's get her out of office immediately.

Oh wait...
Old 10th October 2018, 10:14 AM   #649
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She would be a competent President.
I once heard it put as "At least she would have been wrong within normal parameters."
Old 10th October 2018, 10:45 AM   #650
Belz...
Fiend God

Pointing out how wrong you were in your sarcastic little snip has "no bearing on what" you said?
If you think that, then you didn't understand the post you replied to at all, which makes your "correction" even more wrongheaded.

The point, my Bernie Bro friend, was to point out that Hillary coming out publicly for the 2018 elections is entirely expected, regardless of whether you think it's good or bad for the Democrats.

Old 10th October 2018, 11:10 AM   #651
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She would be a competent President. She would appoint people to cabinet positions who have experience and expertise in their fields and commitment to their missions who aren't financially and morally corrupt. She wouldn't demean the Justice Department and the FBI. She wouldn't disparage the federal courts. She wouldn't appoint accused rapists and right-wing zealots to the Supreme Court. She wouldn't call facts "fake news." She certainly wouldn't reject proof of global warming. She wouldn't insult our allies and launch trade wars against them. She would understand that Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. and send massive disaster relief. She wouldn't encourage foreign dictators to murder dissidents. She would punish Russia for tampering with our elections. She wouldn't lick V. Putin's fundament at a globally televised press conference. Etc., etc.

Michael Lewis has just written a book about the catastrophic loss of expertise in the cabinet departments. We will be paying for Trump for decades.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/b...ifth-risk.html
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/...tom&gtm=bottom

I'm curious why anyone who claims to support conservative values could possibly see Trump as the heir to Ronald Reagan.

You are aware of the accusations against her husband?

Have you heard how she responded to some allegations against him?

Which Hillary do you support? This one or...

This one.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY

Last edited by River; 10th October 2018 at 11:14 AM.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 11:13 AM   #652
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah who'd expect former Democratic politicians to come out to campaign or help their party for the elections?

So beyond the pale!
If you think that, then you didn't understand the post you replied to at all, which makes your "correction" even more wrongheaded.

The point, my Bernie Bro friend, was to point out that Hillary coming out publicly for the 2018 elections is entirely expected, regardless of whether you think it's good or bad for the Democrats.
sigh
Old 10th October 2018, 11:17 AM   #653
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by River View Post
Hell, people don't care about Lying Grab them by the Pussy Trump. Do you really think they care about things a woman said in defense of her husband who was under attack?
Old 10th October 2018, 11:40 AM   #654
Belz...
Fiend God

sigh
Wow, even after highlighting the words you completely missed the meaning.

Oh dear.

It's like you're disagreeing on principle.

Old 10th October 2018, 11:54 AM   #655
Cabbage
Muse

I fully understood that, and asked in return why you or anyone would support her. No answer?
And I am telling you I don't support her, and my point was that if you made that inference from my post, you have a reading comprehension problem.

Having said that, she'd be a far better president than Trump. Competence by itself can go a long way.

Nowhere near the same level of corruption as Trump, either.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 11:56 AM   #656
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's like you're disagreeing on principle.
Hey that's called "Sticking to your guns" and it is very, very, very important. Don't want to get called a flip flopper.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:56 AM   #657
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
And I am telling you I don't support her, and my point was that if you made that inference from my post, you have a reading comprehension problem.

Having said that, she'd be a far better president than Trump. Competence by itself can go a long way.

Nowhere near the same level of corruption as Trump, either.
Fair enough. We will have to disagree on corruption and competence.

I think it is wise you do not support her. No one should.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 11:59 AM   #658
Belz...
Fiend God

Not a huge fan of hers, but why not? I mean, facts, not feelings, please.

Old 10th October 2018, 12:10 PM   #659
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

As an IT professional and former Military Intelligence analyst, I found the email server, and the related handling of classified material, to be an unacceptable breach of trust and competence. The way she handled the issue, feigning ignorance on several key aspects of her job, privately scrubbing the data before turning it over to the investigators, etc., only compounded her unsuitability in my opinion.

Up until that point, I had seriously considered her as a reasonable and relatively moderate (in a realpolitik sense, not an ideological sense) alternative to the GOP clown car. Since the GOP establishment is pretty bankrupt when it comes to my ideals of conservatism, it didn't seem like much of a cost, to vote in a Clintoncrat progressive instead. At least they'd be a relatively competent and pragmatic President. But the email server issue blew that "relatively competent" idea to smithereens, and set me back to square one.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 12:16 PM   #660
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
As an IT professional and former Military Intelligence analyst, I found the email server, and the related handling of classified material, to be an unacceptable breach of trust and competence.
I find it to be an incorrect use of those ressources, but something done by others in her post before. The rules should be tightened, but I don't find that this disqualifies her for the post. And since Trump leaked classified information to the Russians, Hillary's transgression seems rather quaint.

Quote:
The way she handled the issue, feigning ignorance on several key aspects of her job, privately scrubbing the data before turning it over to the investigators, etc., only compounded her unsuitability in my opinion.
I agree. Still a relatively minor issue. Trump lies every day, constantly, and tries to gaslight the entire country, and conservatives still defend him, so I have some issue with the idea that they find Hillary's dishonesty disqualifying.

Old 10th October 2018, 12:28 PM   #661
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hillary's* use of an illegal e-mail server should have disqualified her from being President in a perfect world with a perfect system. And before anybody "whatabouts" yes I know other politicians did the same thing, in a perfect world they would be disqualified as well. There's 320 million some odd Americas, finding one that didn't do something potentially felonious shouldn't be above us.

We do not live in a perfect world with a perfect system. We're a long, long way from "good" at this point. Let's bring down from "Disastrous" to "Just really bad."

Again I do no like Hillary Clinton. But she's wrong within normal parameters.

*Slight hijack. It feels weird to call "Hillary Clinton" Hillary since that's her first name but I still mentally associate "Clinton" with Bill Clinton.
Old 10th October 2018, 12:48 PM   #662
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I find it to be an incorrect use of those ressources, but something done by others in her post before. The rules should be tightened, but I don't find that this disqualifies her for the post. And since Trump leaked classified information to the Russians, Hillary's transgression seems rather quaint.

I agree. Still a relatively minor issue. Trump lies every day, constantly, and tries to gaslight the entire country, and conservatives still defend him, so I have some issue with the idea that they find Hillary's dishonesty disqualifying.
Everbody's dishonesty is disqualifying. But when every candidate is dishonest, what then? If we can at least agree that Hillary was dishonest, and that this dishonesty was a reasonable disqualifier, that would be at least a start, even if we don't agree on the remedy when everyone is dishonest.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 01:03 PM   #663
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Everbody's dishonesty is disqualifying. But when every candidate is dishonest, what then? If we can at least agree that Hillary was dishonest, and that this dishonesty was a reasonable disqualifier, that would be at least a start, even if we don't agree on the remedy when everyone is dishonest.
I agree with the first statement but not the second, for the reasons you just listed.

Old 10th October 2018, 01:25 PM   #664
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I agree with the first statement but not the second, for the reasons you just listed.
I think that's another reasonable way to look at it. I think the underlying principle, and the resulting conundrum, are the same. We may express it differently, but we do agree on the main thing.
Old 10th October 2018, 01:42 PM   #665
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Fair enough. We will have to disagree on corruption and competence.

What position is she running for?
Old 10th October 2018, 02:03 PM   #666
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What position is she running for?
I support my father in most things, even though he's never run for office in his life. Why the weird restriction?
Old 10th October 2018, 02:04 PM   #667
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Maybe because it's posted in a election thread?
Old 10th October 2018, 02:14 PM   #668
Cabbage
Muse

We will have to disagree on corruption and competence.
For now, anyway. I'm quite sure when all of the smoke clears you'll finally realize I was right.

Honestly, it's a bit surprising anyone still has trouble seeing it.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 02:25 PM   #669
Cabbage
Muse

I must admit that it's hilarious that the same people who act as if they want to be rid of Hillary the strongest are the same people who can't let her go and keep reviving this thread periodically. LOL!

Security Angst?
Old 10th October 2018, 04:38 PM   #670
Marcus
Master Poster

It is an entertaining thread, Hillary is always up to something new. I just don't see what's so important about making the thread die. Judging by her recent activities, no, she is not done.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 09:01 PM   #671
River
Illuminator

You can start here.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

And you can finish when the ongoing investigations conclude.

If you want to critique her flip flop performance as a politician, I'm cool with that too. She does it so much we should nickname her FlipFlop.

Old 10th October 2018, 09:02 PM   #672
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It is an entertaining thread, Hillary is always up to something new. I just don't see what's so important about making the thread die. Judging by her recent activities, no, she is not done.
She's done. She just hasn't realized it yet. Everyone else has.

Old 10th October 2018, 09:05 PM   #673
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
For now, anyway. I'm quite sure when all of the smoke clears you'll finally realize I was right.

Honestly, it's a bit surprising anyone still has trouble seeing it.
I have no problem seeing Trump get convicted of something if he's found to be guilty. I hope many here can say the same about Clinton, and a few others that truly should be in jail from their activities -- but as of yet are not. Not just things that "might be" or "could be" things we actually know happened. I know why it's going down like this, but it doesn't make me like it, or make me anymore patient.

Old 10th October 2018, 10:47 PM   #674
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Exactly. Looks like they're going on tour.

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Quote:
Bill and Hillary Clinton are going on tour in 2018, 2019

The Clintons announced on Monday that they would headline a series of live events together -- billed "An Evening with The Clintons" -- across the country in the final weeks of 2018 and into 2019.

The tour will start on Nov. 18th in Las Vegas, Nevada, with an event at the Park Theater. The couple will then travel to Toronto, Montreal and Texas before the end of 2018. The tour will start back up in April of 2019 with events in New York, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, the District of Colombia, British Columbia, Washington and California.

Ticket prices run the gamut based on each location, but top tickets at the couple's events in Texas cost $699. The least expensive tickets at some of the events are around $70.

A Clinton spokesman did not respond to a request for comment on how much the Clintons will be paid for the tour.

-- CNN Politics (Oct 8, 2018)

Word has it, anyone brain-dead gullible enough to actually want to attend will receive a complimentary cigar.

Look over there ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 05:30 AM   #675
Belz...
Fiend God

You can start here.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

And you can finish when the ongoing investigations conclude.

If you want to critique her flip flop performance as a politician, I'm cool with that too. She does it so much we should nickname her FlipFlop.
I don't do arguments by youtube.

I asked you to explain yourself, not link me to someone else's video. Youtube is a nice little hub for conspiracy theories and nonsense, so you'll forgive me if I ask you for something more tangible.

Old 11th October 2018, 05:50 AM   #676
River
Illuminator

I don't do arguments by youtube.

I asked you to explain yourself, not link me to someone else's video. Youtube is a nice little hub for conspiracy theories and nonsense, so you'll forgive me if I ask you for something more tangible.
Don't worry its all conspiracy to people that don't like what they hear. You know, things like felonies she committed and was never held accountable for.

Old 11th October 2018, 06:10 AM   #677
Belz...
Fiend God

Don't worry its all conspiracy to people that don't like what they hear. You know, things like felonies she committed and was never held accountable for.
Again, either demonstrate your claim or retract it. I won't watch Youtube videos as evidence especially when I'm asking YOU to explain it to me. Right-wingers keep talking about felonies but never pony up when asked for evidence.

Old 11th October 2018, 06:19 AM   #678
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Here is a simple question for you.

Republicans control the presidency, both houses, the DOJ, the FBI .... What exactly is stopping them from prosecuting Clinton and holding her accountable for all her "felonies" ?

And, oh yeah, "BENGHAZI!!11!!"
Old 11th October 2018, 06:22 AM   #679
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Again, either demonstrate your claim or retract it. I won't watch Youtube videos as evidence especially when I'm asking YOU to explain it to me. Right-wingers keep talking about felonies but never pony up when asked for evidence.
I rarely click on youtube links, but for a different reason. It's a vague, inefficient way to communicate. It enables miscommunication and weaseling. Such as...

A: I claim that...
B: Evidence?
A: Watch this youtube
B: OK ... you're wrong, at the 5 minute mark it says...
A: That part is irrelevant to my claim

wash, rinse, repeat

Last edited by varwoche; 11th October 2018 at 06:23 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 06:25 AM   #680
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Here is a simple question for you.

Republicans control the presidency, both houses, the DOJ, the FBI .... What exactly is stopping them from prosecuting Clinton and holding her accountable for all her "felonies" ?

And, oh yeah, "BENGHAZI!!11!!"
It doesn't affect me at all if you don't want to watch the video. Enjoy the show.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics