ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Clinton controversies , hillary clinton

Old 29th May 2018, 09:43 AM   #241
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well a different source may have said "woman wears light mac on showery late-spring day" and made rather less of it....
I do not know what a "mac' is, but I will cheerfully concede that the fully buttoned coat she is wearing in the recent pictures does not appear to woolen or the like.
Old 29th May 2018, 09:50 AM   #242
Cabbage
Muse

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
well certainly one can look at the pictures themselves and judge for themselves.
Do the pictures record temperature and humidity, too? LOL
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 09:51 AM   #243
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I do not know what a "mac' is, but I will cheerfully concede that the fully buttoned coat she is wearing in the recent pictures does not appear to woolen or the like.
Mac is short for Mackintosh and is a UK term for a lightweight waterproof coat. typically made out of impregnated cotton or possible even a light wool gaberdine.

About 25 years ago I used to regularly wear one to work when I commuted in London for about 8 months of the year. In the winter I wore a heavier wool overcoat and during the four or five days of summer, risked it by just taking an umbrella.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 09:52 AM   #244
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks more like a light(in both colour and weight)-blue mac to me rather than a heavy woollen overcoat.
Yeah, I really don't understand the claims by the racism fans here who suggest its a "heavy woollen" coat. The texture doesn't appear rough like wool coats are. Looks more like a mid-weight coat that's either cotton or polyester.
Quote:
and the scarf looks more like a silk accessory to provide a bit of star spangled banner to the ensemble as opposed to a woollen thing to keep her neck warm.
Exactly. Yet reading the article you would expect it to be suitable for temperatures down to absolute zero!

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 09:54 AM   #245
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

....and once again the (faux) criticism of Hillary is over what she wore instead of what she did and/or said during the Memorial Day event.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 09:55 AM   #246
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yeah, I really don't understand the claims by the racism fans here who suggest its a "heavy woollen" coat. The texture doesn't appear rough like wool coats are. Looks more like a mid-weight coat that's either cotton or polyester.
Did you just accuse me of racism by commenting on Hillary Clinton's coat?

That is one for the ages folks....
Old 29th May 2018, 09:59 AM   #247
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Do the pictures record temperature and humidity, too? LOL
The article does have a screenshot of some weather service that gave the temperature as 71 degrees. But then, generally such sites give the maximum temperature for the day; its possible that the temperature at the time of the parade hadn't quite hit the maximum.

The weather service screenshot also pointed out that it was supposed to be "mostly cloudy", so being under bright sun probably wasn't a concern. (Heck, she might even have had concerns that it might rain.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 10:01 AM   #248
NoahFence
Banned

Did it ever occur to you that she was wearing a jacket becase she was cold?

Here are various pictures from the article YOU linked to. I have circled several people who were wearing jackets of various sizes/weights... some light "spring jackets", others a bit heavier. If it were really so hot, why were those people wearing jackets too? Does Hillary have some sort of mind-control power over them? Does the "deep state" extend to control over people's decision to wear a coat? Or is it possible that, even though some people were comfortable in shorts, the temperature was still in the mid-range and that some people were still able to wear jackets.
Anything to further the moronic character assassination. If she weren't wearing a coat and everyone else was, it'd be proof that she's satan.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 10:03 AM   #249
Cabbage
Muse

That is one for the ages folks....
Yeah, ludicrously petty would be a more apt description. LOL
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 10:07 AM   #250
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Great example of the Streisand effect in action tho. Repeatedly drawing attention to the fact that Hillary is wearing fully buttoned coats and scafrs to hide something.

But the topper? accusing people of racism for talking about it.

Next level stuff there.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:09 AM   #251
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

<>while Hillary is clearly wearing a heavy woolen style coat buttoned to the top with a scarf.
<> but I will cheerfully concede that the fully buttoned coat she is wearing in the recent pictures does not appear to woolen or the like.

In before "it's not woolen, it's just woolen style"

Maybe your partisan blinders are affecting your eyesight.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:11 AM   #252
NoahFence
Banned

Great example of the Streisand effect in action tho. Repeatedly drawing attention to the fact that Hillary is wearing fully buttoned coats and scafrs to hide something.

Next level stuff there.
I believe "fans of racism" was the charge. AKA Trumpkins.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 10:13 AM   #253
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I believe "fans of racism" was the charge. AKA Trumpkins.
Actually is was "racism fans" and it was posted in response to posts about Hillary's coat.

Thanks for bringing it up again, tho.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:17 AM   #254
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

No, I didn't (although I can understand you might have thought that.)

Its just a general commentary on Trump and his supporters. Trump is a racist. A YUGE racist. Greatest racist ever. Anyone who supports Trump does so with the knowledge that he is a racist. Since Trump's racism is a big part of who he is, I think its a fair assessment to say Trump supporters are 'fans of racism'.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 29th May 2018, 10:19 AM   #255
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Next level stuff there.
An even better example of the depths Hilary Derangement Syndrome will reduce some people to. I mean, seriously- it's been a year and a half since she lost the election, she's not president and never will be, and we still get this National Enquirer-style JAQ-ing off, "OMG! She's wearing a coat, WHAT IS SHE HIDING?!?!?!?eleventy!!!!" It's gone beyond flogging a dead horse, the corpse has been dug up and acts of one-handed necrophilia are being committed over it.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 10:19 AM   #256
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The article does have a screenshot of some weather service that gave the temperature as 71 degrees. But then, generally such sites give the maximum temperature for the day; its possible that the temperature at the time of the parade hadn't quite hit the maximum.
Um, even if the current temperature of the event were 71 degrees, I'D be wearing a jacket!

I can be wearing a jacket when the temps are in the 80s - it depends on where things started out. I find it a lot easier to wear a jacket and to take it off when I get too warm than to not wear a jacket and be cold, and wait for the temps to warm up.

OK, people, if this is the criticism - "Hillary wore a jacket when it was 70 degrees outside" then your HDS is completely out of control. You have gone off the deep end.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:19 AM   #257
NoahFence
Banned

Its just a general commentary on Trump and his supporters. Trump is a racist. A YUGE racist. Greatest racist ever. Anyone who supports Trump does so with the knowledge that he is a racist. Since Trump's racism is a big part of who he is, I think its a fair assessment to say Trump supporters are 'fans of racism'.
No no no!

It's "racism fans" - not "fans of racism".

There's a Yuge difference.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:22 AM   #258
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Uh huh, that sounds like something Hillary's husband would make up

"I really don't understand the claims by the racism fans here who suggest its a "heavy woollen" coat."

Racism fans.... next level TDS there.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:28 AM   #259
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
An even better example of the depths Hilary Derangement Syndrome will reduce some people to. I mean, seriously- it's been a year and a half since she lost the election, she's not president and never will be, and we still get this National Enquirer-style JAQ-ing off, "OMG! She's wearing a coat, WHAT IS SHE HIDING?!?!?!?eleventy!!!!" It's gone beyond flogging a dead horse, the corpse has been dug up and acts of one-handed necrophilia are being committed over it.
Not at all, itís just kinda funny.

If Milania was doing the exact same thing, normal people would want to know whatís going on.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 10:30 AM   #260
logger
Banned

....and once again the (faux) criticism of Hillary is over what she wore instead of what she did and/or said during the Memorial Day event.
Because she looks like a moron trying to hide this.

Remember that video where they threw her into the van after all her braces came apart as the bolts fell to the ground? So I’m wondering if it’s some kind of new brace without bolts.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 10:30 AM   #261
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Not at all, itís just kinda funny.

If Milania was doing the exact same thing, normal people would want to know whatís going on.
Melanie
Old 29th May 2018, 10:32 AM   #262
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Yeah, ludicrously petty would be a more apt description. LOL
Petty? Perhaps.

But Trump is a racist. Quite a blatant one. Anyone supporting Trump (either by voting for him, or by trying to justify his actions on line) is in effect supporting a racist. I think there is value in reminding people of that fact.

Oh, and speaking of racism... you know the Gateway Pundit (the source of the article that started this particular topic of conversation about Hillary's coat)? According to Rationalwiki, not only does the site engage in conspiracy theories, it uses white supremacists as references.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Gateway_Pundit

Logically, if a person was actually anti-racist, they would look at the Gateway Pundit and its history of referencing racists and say "I'm not touching anything they say with a 10 foot poll." But here we are, with Logger referring to an article on their site, and The big Dog supporting the posting.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 29th May 2018, 10:33 AM   #263
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Melanie
Actually, Melania.

Lol, so hilarious!
Old 29th May 2018, 10:38 AM   #264
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Melanie
Actually, Melania.
Lol, so hilarious!
Actually Trump said it was Melanie in a tweet.

Now, Donald Trump is always talking about how smart he is, and his fans seem to think he's honest, so obviously Trump's wife must be Melanie.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 29th May 2018, 10:39 AM   #265
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Actually, Melania.

Lol, so hilarious!
Old 29th May 2018, 10:40 AM   #266
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Because she looks like a moron trying to hide this.

Remember that video where they threw her into the van after all her braces came apart as the bolts fell to the ground? So I’m wondering if it’s some kind of new brace without bolts.
Amen, of course she does, but we have always known she was a freak for secrecy.

Although in her supporters' passionate defense of wearing coats we have learned that commenting on wool is teh racist!

Last edited by The Big Dog; 29th May 2018 at 10:58 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 11:29 AM   #267
Bob001
Philosopher

Subject for discussion: Suppose Clinton had not run in 2016, and had announced her decision well in advance. Who would have been the candidate? Bernie Sanders ran largely to provide an alternative to Clinton; he probably would have stayed out. Biden's family issues would have been the same. Martin O'Malley, a well-enough-qualified big-city mayor and state governor, never inspired anybody. Who might have arisen from the mist?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 11:37 AM   #268
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
That really doesnít let you off the hook for spelling it wrong, even while trying to correct me.
Old 29th May 2018, 11:39 AM   #269
logger
Banned

Actually Trump said it was Melanie in a tweet.

Now, Donald Trump is always talking about how smart he is, and his fans seem to think he's honest, so obviously Trump's wife must be Melanie.
Yes go with that, itíll be fun.
Old 29th May 2018, 11:40 AM   #270
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

That really doesn’t let you off the hook for spelling it wrong, even while trying to correct me.
Did he (TheL8Elvis) spell it wrong? That was the spelling TRUMP used. If Trump is smart and honest, he must know what he's talking about.

So it must be Melanie.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 29th May 2018, 11:41 AM   #271
logger
Banned

Did he spell it wrong? That was the spelling TRUMP used. If Trump is smart and honest, he must know what he's talking about.

So it must be Melanie.
Yes, as I said, go with that, itíll be lots of fun.
Old 29th May 2018, 11:50 AM   #272
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

That really doesnít let you off the hook for spelling it wrong, even while trying to correct me.
Old 29th May 2018, 11:56 AM   #273
Cabbage
Muse

Unlike your "Milania", it was quite obvious TheL8Elvis was making a joke referencing Trump's tweet.

I, on the other hand, spell the entire administration as Melanomia.
Old 29th May 2018, 12:06 PM   #274
logger
Banned

Old 29th May 2018, 12:33 PM   #275
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

But but but the source!
The egg you have on your face (of which you are apparently unaware (which is odd because it's like an entire carton)) is the sort of thing that happens when one consumes garbage data sources uncritically.
Old 29th May 2018, 01:46 PM   #276
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This demonstrates very clearly how many people and even the press approach politics. They are comfortable with labels and uncomfortable with actually applying critical thinking skills. God forbid they look at the issue from the other side.

I despise the labels and the party system. Jefferson wanted to outlaw political parties for this very reason.
Yeah, I'm not fond of labels either. In this context they are being used solely to provoke a negative response - IOW to bother people - which I don't understand, it seems pretty juvenile but it's a popular Internet pastime.

Don't know how to get beyond a 2-party system.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 03:16 PM   #277
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The egg you have on your face (of which you are apparently unaware (which is odd because it's like an entire carton)) is the sort of thing that happens when one consumes garbage data sources uncritically.
Your opinion, which you seem unaware means nothing to me. It’s just more leftwing uncivil behavior.

What’s more important, you don’t have a comment about the data. It’s just more behavior that Minoosh complained about one post up. Wonder if she’ll have a comment on it?

Last edited by logger; 29th May 2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 29th May 2018, 03:30 PM   #278
NoahFence
Banned

Old 29th May 2018, 03:52 PM   #279
surrogate
Critical Thinker

I'm starting to think that some of our esteemed posters have never been outside in public. I see old women wearing winter coats when it is 80+ degrees on a regular basis, occasionally old men too.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 04:26 PM   #280
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
I'm starting to think that some of our esteemed posters have never been outside in public. I see old women wearing winter coats when it is 80+ degrees on a regular basis, occasionally old men too.
My mother regularly wears two sweaters in temps when I am wearing a t-shirt. Older people get cold, news at 11.

The derangement here is hitting record highs.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics