ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2018 elections

Old 23rd August 2018, 06:58 PM   #81
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I wonder if the Airzone GOP is asking Donnie NOT to endorse any of the candidates, so the Dems can't accuse the winner of being Trump's puppet.
But a number of political commentaors have stated in lot of races nationwide , the GOP candidate is going have problems in the general election because the Dems are going to be sure swing voters remember the GOP candidate's oaths of eternal feality to Trump.
The article I linked to says that scuttlebutt is that the party powers are pushing Trump to seal the primary by endorsing McSally. That would be the political smartest move - for Trump. He's going to need allies on the hill in the next session of Congress, and coming out for Crazy Joe isn't going to get him nominated, anyway. The GOP thinks Ward can't win in November. That's telling because the race is between Crazy McSally, Crazy Ward and Crazy Joe. What's even more telling is that This is Arizona! The state has gone so conservative that some of the TP types wanted to change the name of the party's state HQ (or something like that) to remove Barry Goldwater's name.... 'cuz he's a RINO! And they're now worried that they stand a chance of losing in rock solid crazy right wing Arizona.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 07:51 PM   #82
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I wonder if the Airzone GOP is asking Donnie NOT to endorse any of the candidates, so the Dems can't accuse the winner of being Trump's puppet.
But a number of political commentaors have stated in lot of races nationwide , the GOP candidate is going have problems in the general election because the Dems are going to be sure swing voters remember the GOP candidate's oaths of eternal feality to Trump.
The Republican Senate candidate in New Mexico is being outpolled by the Libertarian (Gary Johnson) by 10 points.
He is the ex-governor, though.
Old 23rd August 2018, 08:17 PM   #83
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The article I linked to says that scuttlebutt is that the party powers are pushing Trump to seal the primary by endorsing McSally. That would be the political smartest move - for Trump. He's going to need allies on the hill in the next session of Congress, and coming out for Crazy Joe isn't going to get him nominated, anyway. The GOP thinks Ward can't win in November. That's telling because the race is between Crazy McSally, Crazy Ward and Crazy Joe. What's even more telling is that This is Arizona! The state has gone so conservative that some of the TP types wanted to change the name of the party's state HQ (or something like that) to remove Barry Goldwater's name.... 'cuz he's a RINO! And they're now worried that they stand a chance of losing in rock solid crazy right wing Arizona.
As a long-time Zonie, I can tell you that this state is nowhere near as conservative as it used to be. It's funny, but I originally registered as Republican here because I knew there was little point in voting in Democratic primaries; the "winner" almost always lost in the general.

Not entirely sure what is causing it--part of it probably is that the state is actually very urban--a very large percentage of the population lives in Phoenix or Tucson, and urban dwellers tend to vote Democrat. But that also applied 35 years ago. Of course there is also the influx of Californians, which although it has slowed in recent years, is still substantial.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:06 PM   #84
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
As a long-time Zonie, I can tell you that this state is nowhere near as conservative as it used to be. It's funny, but I originally registered as Republican here because I knew there was little point in voting in Democratic primaries; the "winner" almost always lost in the general.

Not entirely sure what is causing it--part of it probably is that the state is actually very urban--a very large percentage of the population lives in Phoenix or Tucson, and urban dwellers tend to vote Democrat. But that also applied 35 years ago. Of course there is also the influx of Californians, which although it has slowed in recent years, is still substantial.
Yeah, I was being facetious. Arizona's moving more blue with each passing year. (Why do you think Sheriff Joe has the boys out back weaving more nets to snare more of the invading brown hordes? Bless his little heart! I hope he passes away before he realizes that it's white people turning the state!)

Retirees? A whole lot of big city liberals retiring early and liking golf just as much as conservatives. Two huge employment centers around Arizona and Arizona State. Universities attract liberals as kids are generally more liberal than the older generations. Out-of-state liberals who then decide to find work or settle and stay.

But mostly, it's population growth. There just aren't sufficient crusty old conservatives moving in to Desert Flats and Cactus Junction. They're moving to the cities and cities generally vote more liberal.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:32 PM   #85
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I was being facetious. Arizona's moving more blue with each passing year. (Why do you think Sheriff Joe has the boys out back weaving more nets to snare more of the invading brown hordes? Bless his little heart! I hope he passes away before he realizes that it's white people turning the state!)
You are aware that Sheriff Joe is sheriff no more? Got voted out in 2016. It caught me by surprise, although I've been voting against him for several elections after being a longtime supporter. I always assumed he'd leave the office feet-first (i.e., on a stretcher), but his shenanigans finally caught up with him. He was a pretty good sheriff compared to the guys we had before him (faint praise), but he definitely outlived his usefulness.

McSally's got the right biography, but I've always felt that Republicans seldom win on biography (e.g., Bob Dole). I still think that she's the favorite, but I certainly wouldn't bet the house on it.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 10:57 AM   #86
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You are aware that Sheriff Joe is sheriff no more? Got voted out in 2016. It caught me by surprise, although I've been voting against him for several elections after being a longtime supporter. I always assumed he'd leave the office feet-first (i.e., on a stretcher), but his shenanigans finally caught up with him. He was a pretty good sheriff compared to the guys we had before him (faint praise), but he definitely outlived his usefulness.

McSally's got the right biography, but I've always felt that Republicans seldom win on biography (e.g., Bob Dole). I still think that she's the favorite, but I certainly wouldn't bet the house on it.
Joe is no longer sherriff, but he is reffered to constantly...by both supporters and his foes..as Sheriff Joe. It has gone from being a title to nickname...not uncommon.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 11:00 AM   #87
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And I am saddened by the news about John McCain. I changed parties in 2000 to vote for him in the GOP California Primary. I fell he lost his way for while,and made some alliances he should not have made,but found his true self again in his opposition to Trump.
Sadly, the GOP I once could support is gone..probably forever. David Gergan has some great comments on that last night.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 11:02 AM   #88
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And In California, Duncan Hunter is trying to shift the blame to his wife..shades of Mr Bumble in Oliver Twist.
THe San Diego Union, a staunchly Republican paper, called for Hunter to step down. Even is he is rellected, I don't see how he can function.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th August 2018, 11:08 AM   #89
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

And In California, Duncan Hunter is trying to shift the blame to his wife..shades of Mr Bumble in Oliver Twist.
THe San Diego Union, a staunchly Republican paper, called for Hunter to step down. Even is he is rellected, I don't see how he can function.
I saw a snippet of him doing that and it was very off-putting as a human. I don't know if he realizes how much worse that is than just saying "we were sloppy, but we are cleaning up. Drain the Swamp!" Seriously, the excuse was worse than the accusation.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 04:26 PM   #90
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

And I am saddened by the news about John McCain. I changed parties in 2000 to vote for him in the GOP California Primary.
I got the chance to ask him a few questions in some conference calls during the 2008 primary season. It was kind of a flukey thing--in one of my early blogs I aligned myself with the man who became the official campaign blogger for McCain. I also endorsed McCain the day after the 2006 election, and so I got an invite. And at first, when it looked like McCain had no chance at all it was cool--McCain even complimented me one time on my question. But as it became obvious that he was going to be the nominee, I don't mind admitting that I felt like I didn't deserve that kind of access.

Quote:
I fell he lost his way for while,and made some alliances he should not have made,but found his true self again in his opposition to Trump.
Sadly, the GOP I once could support is gone..probably forever. David Gergan has some great comments on that last night.
I've noticed for a long time that Republicans only get respect from moderates and the media when they are bashing other Republicans. This is just exhibit #22,057.

Last edited by Brainster; 24th August 2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 24th August 2018, 04:35 PM   #91
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I've noticed for a long time that Republicans only get respect from moderates and the media when they are bashing other Republicans. This is just exhibit #22,057.
Sounds like a testable hypothesis.
Old 24th August 2018, 04:44 PM   #92
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Sounds like a testable hypothesis.
Compare and contrast the treatment of McCain by the media in 2000 and the treatment of McCain by the media in 2008. Or compare and contrast the treatment of Jeff Flake by the media prior to Trump's election (largely ignored) and afterwards (lionized).
Old 24th August 2018, 05:54 PM   #93
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Compare and contrast the treatment of McCain by the media in 2000 and the treatment of McCain by the media in 2008. Or compare and contrast the treatment of Jeff Flake by the media prior to Trump's election (largely ignored) and afterwards (lionized).
Sounds like a great plan. Lets see what you come up with.
Old 24th August 2018, 06:28 PM   #94
eerok
Quixoticist

It's almost as if those who are willing to stand up against utterly corrupt scofflaw dickholes like Trump thereby gain some respect. Go figure.
Old 24th August 2018, 06:59 PM   #95
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Faux News has stepped up to the plate.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2018, 11:41 AM   #96
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Beto O'Rourke stands, err, kneels with the NFL players refusing to stand for the national anthem. It's a home run, err touchdown with Ellen Degeneres and Kevin Bacon, but how will it play in Plano?
Old 25th August 2018, 12:07 PM   #97
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Beto O'Rourke stands, err, kneels with the NFL players refusing to stand for the national anthem. It's a home run, err touchdown with Ellen Degeneres and Kevin Bacon, but how will it play in Plano?
Don’t care. Im excited to vote for Beto for the simple reason the he kinda sorta has a chance to break single-party rule in Texas.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2018, 12:38 PM   #98
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Don’t care. Im excited to vote for Beto for the simple reason the he kinda sorta has a chance to break single-party rule in Texas.
It will probably help his fundraising, but it's not a position that is going to get moderate Republicans to flock to his banner. It's the kind of tactic that someone who believes in the "lost tribe" theory of politics might try.

Smart politicians would triangulate this issue.
Old 26th August 2018, 12:15 AM   #99
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

First of all, assuming he's a complete political whore and is looking to appeal to voters, how many wrapped-in-the-flag jingoists were going to switch from Cruz if Beto was to have come out against the protests. And now, counter those two votes with the half-a-million progressives and liberals who would stay home on election day. They may not be able to vote for Cruz but they aren't going to come out with any enthusiasm for a political whore who sides with Trump and the MAGA patriots and flag-wavers.

Second of all, if he's doing it out of principle? Good for him!

Old 26th August 2018, 02:09 AM   #100
Minoosh
Philosopher

And they're now worried that they stand a chance of losing in rock solid crazy right wing Arizona.
It's not as rock solid crazy as you might think. There's a strong libertarian element and in some cases a realistic view on how to approach immigration reform.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2018, 03:25 AM   #101
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Republican leaders have seized on the arrest of an immigrant accused of murdering a young woman as they seek to return border security to the top of the political agenda and pivot away from Donald Trump’s legal troubles in the wake of the Manafort and Cohen cases.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera, a 24-year-old from Mexico, was charged with first-degree murder on Tuesday in the death of Mollie Tibbetts, a University of Iowa student who went missing on 18 July.

The gruesome killing induced widespread horror, shocked the midwest and was featured in the national news – but it also prompted an elevated level of attention and outrage from conservative politicians, including the president.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...mp-immigration

I suspect Republicans will be trying to make Christian Rivers the new Willie Horton.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2018, 02:26 PM   #102
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Pretty well among the people I've talked to. Even Trump supporters are getting sick of this anthem crap getting in the way of their football. You underestimate how important football is to these people.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2018, 02:28 PM   #103
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...mp-immigration

I suspect Republicans will be trying to make Christian Rivers the new Willie Horton.
That may be tough since he was working for a company owned by a prominent republican family. Looks like we need to crack down on employers, not property owners along the border.

Old 27th August 2018, 02:33 PM   #104
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Both the Democrats and the GOP in Arizona seem to have some pretty nasty primary battles going on. From what Ihave been reading, there is a lot of long time interparty dislike involved.
But then feuds are a old Arizona custom...the Earp/Clanton feud and the Pleasant Valley War come to mind.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th August 2018, 04:55 PM   #105
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
It's relentless labeling and demonizing, instead of addressing arguments and coming up with programs the people will support.
Yes, some liberals are like that, even if they are a very vocal minority.

Even the worst of the SJW liberals, however, seem more capable of having a discussion than Trump and his disciples, so I'm not sure how you being fed up with PC SJW (and so on, hey, look, labels) makes you want to support Trump. Talking to a Trump supporter you seem to almost always get whataboutisms, whining about "fake news", or insults. Virtually every one I've encountered online has done everything he (it's almost always a he) could do shut down discussion on Trump.

It's not much better to be labelled a PC SJW libtard cuck, from disciples following a leader encouraging his thugs to beat up those who had the gall to dislike him at his rallies, than anything the "SJW"s themselves can come up with. If people wanted "Programs people would support" they wouldn't vote for an idiot promising an 80 foot wall along the Mexican border and the deportation of 11 million illegal immigrants.

Draining the swamp requires a politician who isn't himself a shamelessly corrupt crook. Fighting polarisation and hostility requires a politician who actually wants these things improved upon, and who is capable of leading by example.

Almost any US politician seems to be a far better choice in all of these categories the than the orange manchild currently in the Oval Office.

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 27th August 2018 at 04:57 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2018, 06:37 PM   #106
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Pretty well among the people I've talked to. Even Trump supporters are getting sick of this anthem crap getting in the way of their football. You underestimate how important football is to these people.
Yep! Donnie Johnny let Sunday go by, even in desperate need of some distraction, with nary a dog whistle.

Old 27th August 2018, 06:52 PM   #107
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Yes, some liberals are like that, even if they are a very vocal minority.

Even the worst of the SJW liberals, however, seem more capable of having a discussion than Trump and his disciples, so I'm not sure how you being fed up with PC SJW (and so on, hey, look, labels) makes you want to support Trump. Talking to a Trump supporter you seem to almost always get whataboutisms, whining about "fake news", or insults. Virtually every one I've encountered online has done everything he (it's almost always a he) could do shut down discussion on Trump.

It's not much better to be labelled a PC SJW libtard cuck, from disciples following a leader encouraging his thugs to beat up those who had the gall to dislike him at his rallies, than anything the "SJW"s themselves can come up with. If people wanted "Programs people would support" they wouldn't vote for an idiot promising an 80 foot wall along the Mexican border and the deportation of 11 million illegal immigrants.

Draining the swamp requires a politician who isn't himself a shamelessly corrupt crook. Fighting polarisation and hostility requires a politician who actually wants these things improved upon, and who is capable of leading by example.

Almost any US politician seems to be a far better choice in all of these categories the than the orange manchild currently in the Oval Office.
It's amusing that ABP never accuses Trump of "relentless labeling and demonizing" only Trump's opponents.......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th August 2018, 12:53 PM   #108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hopefully we will hear little more about Sheriff Joe and Chemtrails Kelli after tonight in Arizona.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th August 2018, 05:52 PM   #109
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Trump supporter
A label. Again. You can't agree with him on some things and disagree on others. You are either a Trump Supporter or not.

As soon as you can pull out that label "Trump Supporter" then they are sub-human. I object to this. It is not reason.

The largest group of voters are independents. But even among Republicans there is no cult of personality. The establishment republicans hate him.

To take your argument seriously, I have to believe in this classification of people into a Cult of Personality status. I disagree. Certainly, there are some people who would still love Trump if he sodomized Mother Theresa's corpse on stage. Like .0000000001% of the population. One guy in all of New York City.

Logically, you are going to have people who agree with border protection for example, surveys show a lot of support for that. So there is fertile ground for calling someone "Trump Supporter" if he agrees with Trump on something regarding border security.

It isn't an argument. It is a label. The purpose of the label is to demonize. Demonizing people didn't work in the election of 2016. It did not work in the post-election "resistance". It will not work in the midterms.

Quote:
you seem to almost always get whataboutisms, whining about "fake news", or insults. Virtually every one I've encountered online has done everything he (it's almost always a he) could do shut down discussion on Trump.

That's a pretty long ad hom, the very thing I keep saying is a losing strategy for the midterms.

You are talking to me, not "Trump Supporters", spewing all this vile about how horrible being a "Trump Supporter" is. Trump is an idiot, racist, sexist, homophobic, islamophobic Hilter and you are a cannibal of newborn babies if you agree with him on the sun coming up in the East.

It isn't working. Nor is the censorship. Nor will violence.

Will it continue to ratchet up as it comes down to the wire? With Trump doing one rally after another and the democrats screeching labels in ever more shrill but fatuous manner?

Geez, way to snatch defeat from victory in what should normally be a cake-walk just being the midterm opposition party.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2018, 06:03 PM   #110
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

It's amusing that ABP never accuses Trump of "relentless labeling and demonizing" only Trump's opponents.......
Oh he's a master at labeling.

Like "Crooked Hillary".

So you're wrong.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2018, 06:17 PM   #111
Belz...
Fiend God

Wow, Trump is completely mad.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-church-antifa

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2018, 06:30 PM   #112
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
In this case, it's not so much madness as knowing what his supporters want to hear. They've been pitching the supposed discrimination against Christians so long they've begun to believe it.
Old 28th August 2018, 06:40 PM   #113
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Apparently someone drew circles and arrows around the data in "the spreadsheet" that's making the rounds in the GOP caucuses. Purportedly there are over a hundred investigations into the GOP and Trump that can/will be launched if the GOP loses control of the House. Topmost, of course, in Trump's little brain is that a Democratic House is going to put a Democrat in Devin Nunes chair. Anyone from Trump's gardeners to his dead parents will probably get a crackerjack committee investigating them.

Meanwhile, polls are closed in Florida and there are no surprises. The favorites (poll leaders) took all the nominations. Trump is two for two, backing the favorites in FL like a "bridge jumper". I'm not sure he realizes it's a primary; he'll probably tweet out the results as how Republicans won in all the Republican primaries!

A couple of hours before anything comes in from Arizona. Moderates face the "let's vote for the least crazy of the three - but hey, that's pretty hard to figure out" conundrum. Figure McSally to win, but I can still hope for a statewide brain aneurysm and a Joe Arpaio win, can't I?

Old 28th August 2018, 06:44 PM   #114
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's a pretty long ad hom, the very thing I keep saying is a losing strategy for the midterms.

You are talking to me, not "Trump Supporters", spewing all this vile about how horrible being a "Trump Supporter" is. Trump is an idiot, racist, sexist, homophobic, islamophobic Hilter and you are a cannibal of newborn babies if you agree with him on the sun coming up in the East.

It isn't working. Nor is the censorship. Nor will violence.

Will it continue to ratchet up as it comes down to the wire? With Trump doing one rally after another and the democrats screeching labels in ever more shrill but fatuous manner?

Geez, way to snatch defeat from victory in what should normally be a cake-walk just being the midterm opposition party.
I doubt I have ever witnessed a worse analysis of the politics of the mid term elections. The Republicans shouldn't be in danger of losing either house considering that consumer confidence is very high.

But they are and the reason is Trump. The nut job xenophobes who think building a wall will protect them from the immigrant boogey man may still vote for Trump and the slate Republican candidates who weakly refuse to provide oversight to Trump's excesses. But beyond them and the racists, the party might be in trouble.

College educated normally solid Republican voters particularly women present a huge problem for Republican candidates. They have had it with Trump. If they see that a vote for the local GOP congressman as a vote for Trump, then the GOP will be in for probably a rough night in November.
Old 28th August 2018, 06:50 PM   #115
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Probably the best lense to understand Trump's labeling is through someone like Scott Adams.

Adams is an award-winning and highly successful cartoonist who authored a book called "Winning Bigly: Persuasion in a world where facts don't matter".

Because he has explained Trump's success in persuasion, he is a loathesome Trump Supporter and his insights are invalid I suppose. Nevertheless, Adams points out how effective Trump's labeling has been in contrast to the abject failure of his opponents.

The overuse of "racist, sexist, homophobe, islamaphobe, idiot, Hitler", etc. has rendered these terms meaningless. Ineffective. It's a great big *yawn* to everyone now. It just makes you look ridiculous.

Labeling is not an argument. Not for Trump. Not for any Democrat. Not for anyone. If logic and reason are our standards. So I am on a skeptic board. So much for me.

Adams says those are not the standards of the electorate. Trump is a lot more effective not just with labels but persuasion in general. He has a genius that way.

Were I Adams, I would be arguing for effective labeling by the Democrats. But it would need a ring of truth to it in order to be effective.

So for example, re-approachment with Labor would grant a much better ring of truth in calling Trump the tool of Capital. I am arguing for re-approachment with Labor for it's own sake, not as a marketing gimmick.
Old 28th August 2018, 07:10 PM   #116
carlitos
"más divertido"

2018 mid-term election

I have heard Scott Adams defend his theory for about 3 hours worth of interviews and i’m not buying it.

I don’t think he’s a loathsome Trump supporter or whatever.

Last edited by carlitos; 28th August 2018 at 07:11 PM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2018, 07:12 PM   #117
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Probably the best lense to understand Trump's labeling is through someone like Scott Adams.

Adams is an award-winning and highly successful cartoonist who authored a book called "Winning Bigly: Persuasion in a world where facts don't matter".

Because he has explained Trump's success in persuasion, he is a loathesome Trump Supporter and his insights are invalid I suppose. Nevertheless, Adams points out how effective Trump's labeling has been in contrast to the abject failure of his opponents.

The overuse of "racist, sexist, homophobe, islamaphobe, idiot, Hitler", etc. has rendered these terms meaningless. Ineffective. It's a great big *yawn* to everyone now. It just makes you look ridiculous.

Labeling is not an argument. Not for Trump. Not for any Democrat. Not for anyone. If logic and reason are our standards. So I am on a skeptic board. So much for me.

Adams says those are not the standards of the electorate. Trump is a lot more effective not just with labels but persuasion in general. He has a genius that way.

Were I Adams, I would be arguing for effective labeling by the Democrats. But it would need a ring of truth to it in order to be effective.

So for example, re-approachment with Labor would grant a much better ring of truth in calling Trump the tool of Capital. I am arguing for re-approachment with Labor for it's own sake, not as a marketing gimmick.
NONSENSE!

What makes you think that Adams perspective is any more valid then yours or mine?

I get very well the appeal Trump has to some voters. The nutjobs who don't care that Trump is a sexist racist misogynist who has the moral compass of cretin support him simply because they see minorities and women as threats to their cherished superior position. They want to turn back the clock. Trump's slogan of Make America Great Again alludes to that time. Not so much to Jim Crow and separate drinking fountains but back to the time when being a white male meant unquestioned authority.
Old 28th August 2018, 07:23 PM   #118
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
College educated normally solid Republican voters particularly women present a huge problem for Republican candidates. They have had it with Trump. If they see that a vote for the local GOP congressman as a vote for Trump, then the GOP will be in for probably a rough night in November.

A heavy pro-Trump Republican (Ron DeSantis) just won in Florida in their primary for Governor. Trump did a rally in Tampa for this guy and he did ads showing him reading Trump's "Art of the Deal" and having his daughter say "Make America Great Again."

So if if they've "had it with Trump" then why this Florida win? It isn't just Florida, this is just the most current real time data.

Coming into the last election the establishment media had so many of you convinced Trump had no chance of winning and me saying over and over again that the strategy was a failure, Trump was winning.

This is exactly the outcome I just spoke to: Trump doing a rally in a state and the pertinent primary going to Trump's candidate.

So for being the worst kind of analysis you have ever seen, it is strange how my predicted outcome won and your predicted outcome lost, isn't it?
Old 28th August 2018, 07:35 PM   #119
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
NONSENSE!
That isn't an argument. You don't get declatory judgment with an exclamation mark.

A rhetorical question is not an argument:

Quote:
What makes you think that Adams perspective is any more valid then yours or mine?
This is not an argument against his position now, is it. Were you to have an argument, you would use it.

So right back to calling me names:

Quote:
I get very well the appeal Trump has to some voters. The nutjobs who don't care that Trump is a sexist racist misogynist who has the moral compass of cretin support him simply because they see minorities and women as threats to their cherished superior position. They want to turn back the clock. Trump's slogan of Make America Great Again alludes to that time. Not so much to Jim Crow and separate drinking fountains but back to the time when being a white male meant unquestioned authority.
We just can't have a post without racist, sexist, misogynist, nutjob, Jim Crow Slavery, etc. etc.

It isn't just ineffective, it is increasingly counterproductive. One of the things I see happening is that decent people withdraw from interaction with the abusive.

So the abusive start thinking they represent a much greater force than their numbers. I check in here every now and then to see if the strategy has changed, that is if it has worked its way down to the rank and file, and I see it has not.

So I marvel at it.
Old 28th August 2018, 07:38 PM   #120
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

A heavy pro-Trump Republican (Ron DeSantis) just won in Florida in their primary for Governor. Trump did a rally in Tampa for this guy and he did ads showing him reading Trump's "Art of the Deal" and having his daughter say "Make America Great Again."

So if if they've "had it with Trump" then why this Florida win? It isn't just Florida, this is just the most current real time data.

Coming into the last election the establishment media had so many of you convinced Trump had no chance of winning and me saying over and over again that the strategy was a failure, Trump was winning.

This is exactly the outcome I just spoke to: Trump doing a rally in a state and the pertinent primary going to Trump's candidate.

So for being the worst kind of analysis you have ever seen, it is strange how my predicted outcome won and your predicted outcome lost, isn't it?
You don't get it do you? If you think that doing well in a primary means doing well in a general election, you are sadly mistaken. I saw the tea party dominate the Republican primaries in my state a few years ago. Establishment Republicans got killed in the primaries. The final result was the GOP got killed in November.

I want all the Trumpistas to win. It makes it much much harder to run away in November. One of us will be eating crow. I don't think it will be me.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics