ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th September 2018, 12:50 PM   #1
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And Nikki Haley is as corrupt as the rest of them

State Department Spent $52,000 on Motorized Curtains for Nikki Haley's Apartment

Hey, if the cow's there for the milking, why not take some milk.

Quote:
The U.S. State Department’s budget has been slashed drastically under President Trump. But that hasn’t stopped some high-level people in government from living the high life. According to a new report, the State Department spent a whopping $52,701 on curtains for Nikki Haley’s Manhattan apartment last year.

Why are these curtains so expensive? The New York Times reports that the curtains themselves are just shy of $30,000, still an obscene price by any standard. But an additional $22,800 was spent on the motors that allow the curtains to open and close:
Oh wait, it's really in an apartment provided for her.
Quote:
The 6,000 square foot apartment on First Avenue is leased by the State Department for Nikki Haley, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, and costs roughly $58,000 per month. The apartment is used as both Haley’s residence and for entertaining.
They all blame Obama as if they couldn't have reviewed and changed this swampy situation. And Haley of course says, "I didn't do it."
Old 16th September 2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Stacko
Philosopher

This reporting is not accurate.

Quote:
An earlier version of this article and headline created an unfair impression about who was responsible for the purchase in question. While Nikki R. Haley is the current ambassador to the United Nations, the decision on leasing the ambassador’s residence and purchasing the curtains was made during the Obama administration, according to current and former officials. The article should not have focused on Ms. Haley, nor should a picture of her have been used. The article and headline have now been edited to reflect those concerns, and the picture has been removed.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 12:58 PM   #3
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
State Department Spent $52,000 on Motorized Curtains for Nikki Haley's Apartment

Hey, if the cow's there for the milking, why not take some milk.

Oh wait, it's really in an apartment provided for her.

They all blame Obama as if they couldn't have reviewed and changed this swampy situation. And Haley of course says, "I didn't do it."
Turns out everything in the above post is bull ****.

“The story noted that the plans to buy the curtains were in the works before Haley was appointed to her position by President Donald Trump, and the decision — in which Haley, the former governor of South Carolina, had no input — was made in 2016, when Trump’s predecessor Barack Obama was in office”

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/09/...r-nikki-haley/

Why bother doing basic research when one can call someone corrupt?
Old 16th September 2018, 01:31 PM   #4
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

They need to move that residence to new Jersey.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 01:32 PM   #5
kellyb
Philosopher

The Gizmodo retraction is weaksauce:

Quote:
Update, 2:40pm: The New York Times just made an editor’s note to its original story and removed Nikki Haley’s photo. But the basic facts remain the same and the Times appears to have changed its tone but not the substance of the story. The “plan” to buy the curtains was made by the State Department during the Obama administration but they weren’t actually purchased until Trump took power.

In any other era, this would be a fairly non-controversial story about government spending. But because it’s about the Trump regime, they’re sensitive to appearing like crooks. As they should be.
^^^ bad journalist.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:53 PM   #6
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Turns out everything in the above post is bull ****.

“The story noted that the plans to buy the curtains were in the works before Haley was appointed to her position by President Donald Trump, and the decision — in which Haley, the former governor of South Carolina, had no input — was made in 2016, when Trump’s predecessor Barack Obama was in office”

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/09/...r-nikki-haley/

Why bother doing basic research when one can call someone corrupt?

Look for an onslaught of Fake News as we get closer to the midterm elections. The Dimms are so predictable.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 01:58 PM   #7
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Look for an onslaught of Fake News as we get closer to the midterm elections. The Dimms are so predictable.
Calling "Fake News!" is now the usual fake news.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 02:00 PM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I would like to see a photo of the curtains.
Old 16th September 2018, 02:17 PM   #9
Minoosh
Philosopher

Is there any chance these were specialized security curtains to prevent spying on that apartment? I don't know what secrets the U.N. ambassador has, but some, probably.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 02:53 PM   #10
Minoosh
Philosopher

They corrected it.

Has Trump ever corrected anything?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 02:59 PM   #11
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
They corrected it.

Or any of the actual fake news outlets like True Pundit and YourNewsWire, almost all of which are conservative?
Old 16th September 2018, 03:57 PM   #12
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Because one bad piece of reporting proves that everyone's a liar.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 04:04 PM   #13
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

They corrected it.

Did the OP, who falsely accused her of being “corrupt”?
Old 16th September 2018, 04:07 PM   #14
kellyb
Philosopher

Did the OP, who falsely accused her of being “corrupt”?
She hasn't been back online since posting, but I'm sure she will.
Old 16th September 2018, 05:10 PM   #15
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I would like to see a photo of the curtains.
Ditto. They've got me really curious about how magnificent these curtains must be. And they better be magnificent.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 05:29 PM   #16
Stacyhs
Philosopher

They corrected it.

He did correct this statement about the Russia hacking from

"I don't see any reason it would be Russia" to "I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t, or why it wouldn’t be Russia."

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 06:05 PM   #17
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

They corrected it.

Obama's birth certificate
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 06:07 PM   #18
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

My wish is that all politicians would work together to prevent such extravagant expenses. I'm afraid that instead of that they'll continue to bicker and banter about how corrupt and ill-informed the other side of the isle is.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 06:20 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
My wish is that all politicians would work together to prevent such extravagant expenses. I'm afraid that instead of that they'll continue to bicker and banter about how corrupt and ill-informed the other side of the isle is.
Yeah, I'll go with that.

I'm sorry but a ~$60K/month apartment and tens of thousands of dollars for motorized drapes is the swamp Trump implied he was draining. You either go into a job like that and say, well, since it's what all the other guys got, who am I to question?

Or you look at the campaign promises Trump made, the POTUS that appointed you, and you put your foot down, stopping extravagant spending. She chose to drink it up just like the rest of them that the administration she joined promised to drain.
Old 16th September 2018, 06:37 PM   #20
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Well, we have gone from Nikki Haley is corrupt to Nikki Haley failed to stop the installation of curtains ordered under the Obama regime.

Old 16th September 2018, 06:38 PM   #21
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Is there any chance these were specialized security curtains to prevent spying on that apartment? I don't know what secrets the U.N. ambassador has, but some, probably.
That was my first thought as well.

Yeah, I'll go with that.

I'm sorry but a ~$60K/month apartment and tens of thousands of dollars for motorized drapes is the swamp Trump implied he was draining. You either go into a job like that and say, well, since it's what all the other guys got, who am I to question?

Or you look at the campaign promises Trump made, the POTUS that appointed you, and you put your foot down, stopping extravagant spending. She chose to drink it up just like the rest of them that the administration she joined promised to drain.
But that's not corruption either way.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 06:41 PM   #22
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Well, we have gone from Nikki Haley is corrupt to Nikki Haley failed to stop the installation of curtains ordered under the Obama regime.

Can you clarify who you are talking about? Because that isnt the conversation here.
Old 16th September 2018, 06:41 PM   #23
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
That was my first thought as well.
But that's not corruption either way.
We'll have to agree to disagree here.

You can continue to hold her apart from the Trump scum, especially if it makes you feel better.
Old 16th September 2018, 06:42 PM   #24
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Can you clarify who you are talking about? Because that isnt the conversation here.
Happy to Bob! First, did you see the title of this thread?

Yes____

No___
Old 16th September 2018, 06:49 PM   #25
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

That is exactly the arc of Skeptic Ginger's "thinking" on this.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 06:50 PM   #26
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Happy to Bob! First, did you see the title of this thread?

Yes____

No___
It isn't my job to connect dots
Who was the subject of your post?
Old 16th September 2018, 06:51 PM   #27
beren
Graduate Poster

Dammit Ginger, you ate making me agree with TBD. Please return to sanity.
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 06:57 PM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
That is exactly the arc of Skeptic Ginger's "thinking" on this.
I'm certainly not going with false accusation.

I'm just popping the faux bubble that she has been painted with. More and more about her has become apparent. First and foremost (after one picks apart her human rights pretense which is no more than blatantly siding with the hardline Israelis) she's supposedly set apart from Trump by this magical aura of being her own woman, above the fray.

But no, she fits right in, pay no attention to that excessive spending going on behind that curtain, Ms Haley is not like the others.

You'd think she was smart enough to be on top of large department expenditures, and you'd think she noticed Carson and Pruitt spending scandals. So she didn't care. Those motorized drapes sure are nice in that apartment mansion. Other ambassadors did it, I'm excused, not like Pruitt.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th September 2018 at 07:02 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 07:00 PM   #29
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It isn't my job to connect dots
Who was the subject of your post?
Oh, I get that and I am totally here to spoon feed you, step by step.

Ok, we will assume that somehow you have not read the thread title. Not surprised!

It is: “and Nikki Haley is as corrupt as the rest of them.”

Do you see it now?

yes

No
Old 16th September 2018, 07:04 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by beren View Post
Dammit Ginger, you ate making me agree with TBD. Please return to sanity.
Open your eyes and look behind that wonderful image the one Trump appointment has held.

Put your gears in neutral and see where we are when the dust settles.

BTW, I only read quoted TBD posts.
Old 16th September 2018, 07:05 PM   #31
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I'm certainly not going with false accusation.

I'm just popping the faux bubble that she has been painted with. More and more about her has become apparent. First and foremost (after one picks apart her human rights pretense which is no more than blatantly siding with the hardline Israelis) she's supposedly set apart from Trump by this magical aura of being her own woman.

But no, she fits right in, pay no attention to that excessive spending going on behind that curtain, Ms Haley is not like the others.

You'd think she was smart enough to be on top of large department expenditures, and you'd think she noticed Carson and Pruitt spending scandals. So she didn't care. Those motorized drapes sure are nice in that apartment mansion. Other ambassadors did it, I'm excused, not like Pruitt.
You started out calling her corrupt, and after getting blown up by Snopes, now the goalposts have moved to “not on top of large department expenditures.”

60k sunk cost now qualifying as a “large expenditure” for the State Department?

Yeah, no.
Old 16th September 2018, 07:09 PM   #32
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Open your eyes and look behind that wonderful image the one Trump appointment has held.

Say, maybe you should have waited until the dust settled and done some research before declaring her “corrupt.”
Old 16th September 2018, 07:12 PM   #33
beren
Graduate Poster

My eyes are open.
You were wrong and are now trying to cover it up by moving the goalposts.
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 07:15 PM   #34
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I missed the part where she told someone to open their eyes, and then edited her post to say that she had me on ignore!

Oh man, that is solid ******* gold!

Bwhahahahaha!

Old 16th September 2018, 07:24 PM   #35
beren
Graduate Poster

Oh, I missed the part where she told someone to open their eyes, and then edited her post to say that she had me on ignore!

Oh man, that is solid ******* gold!

Bwhahahahaha!

Those are not mutually exclusive. One can have their eyes while still taking precautions against having excrement smeared in them.
Old 16th September 2018, 07:28 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by beren View Post
My eyes are open.
You were wrong and are now trying to cover it up by moving the goalposts.
No goalpost moving, nope. I just see behind the facade and not everyone is looking behind it.
Old 16th September 2018, 07:32 PM   #37
beren
Graduate Poster

No goalpost moving, nope. I just see behind the facade and not everyone is looking behind it.
Ate you sure you want to go with "she's corrupt because she allowed the corruption of the Obama administration to continue" ?
Old 16th September 2018, 07:37 PM   #38
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I get that and I am totally here to spoon feed you, step by step.

Ok, we will assume that somehow you have not read the thread title. Not surprised!

It is: “and Nikki Haley is as corrupt as the rest of them.”

Do you see it now?

yes

No
But who is the one that has gone from two positions?
Old 16th September 2018, 07:40 PM   #39
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

But who is the one that has gone from two positions?
Cool, that is a yes!

Now, did you see the very next post by the person who wrote the headline?

Yes

No
Old 16th September 2018, 08:10 PM   #40
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
She hasn't been back online since posting, but I'm sure she will.
You were actually wrong when you first posted this since Skeptic Ginger had been back online in time to see the clarifications. But now she's back in the thread and still hasn't corrected it, moved the goal posts instead.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics