ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th September 2018, 08:12 PM   #41
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No goalpost moving, nope. I just see behind the facade and not everyone is looking behind it.
Could you please just admit your mistake and move on?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 08:13 PM   #42
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Cool, that is a yes!

Now, did you see the very next post by the person who wrote the headline?

Yes

No
Yes.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 08:24 PM   #43
Minoosh
Philosopher

Oh, I get that and I am totally here to spoon feed you, step by step.
It's frustrating when people blow off yes/no questions, either ignoring them or offering snarky non-responses.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 08:35 PM   #44
Elagabalus
Illuminator

No goalpost moving, nope. I just see behind the facade and not everyone is looking behind it.
A facade curtain if you will ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 10:25 PM   #45
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by beren View Post
Ate you sure you want to go with "she's corrupt because she allowed the corruption of the Obama administration to continue" ?
It depends on your definition of corruption.

First, I don't give a rip it was "Obama". It's been well over a year and a half. Does this woman have a department budget and does she have some idea what's on it or not? Does she review some of the expenditures like the ones affecting her residence?

Just like Pruitt and Carson, hey if you can live high on the hog, why not.
Old 16th September 2018, 10:26 PM   #46
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You were actually wrong when you first posted this since Skeptic Ginger had been back online in time to see the clarifications. But now she's back in the thread and still hasn't corrected it, moved the goal posts instead.
What am I supposed to correct? I'm lost as to this side discussion.

There's so much government money flowing around one has to wonder if Trump isn't pulling the LLC shuffle with various department budgets.

This was from another thread: Kos: DHS Transferred $9.8Million from FEMA to ICE
Quote:
And if you read the full article, you’ll find they’ve been scraping 1% from other agency’s budgets to give to ICE for a while now…

Pretty damn scary...

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th September 2018 at 10:32 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 11:34 PM   #47
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm certainly not going with false accusation.

I'm just popping the faux bubble that she has been painted with. More and more about her has become apparent. First and foremost (after one picks apart her human rights pretense which is no more than blatantly siding with the hardline Israelis) she's supposedly set apart from Trump by this magical aura of being her own woman, above the fray.

But no, she fits right in, pay no attention to that excessive spending going on behind that curtain, Ms Haley is not like the others.

You'd think she was smart enough to be on top of large department expenditures, and you'd think she noticed Carson and Pruitt spending scandals. So she didn't care. Those motorized drapes sure are nice in that apartment mansion. Other ambassadors did it, I'm excused, not like Pruitt.
Have you any evidence

1) That she was aware this was happening
2) That she could have canceled it

?
Old 16th September 2018, 11:38 PM   #48
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You started out calling her corrupt, and after getting blown up by Snopes, now the goalposts have moved to “not on top of large department expenditures.”

60k sunk cost now qualifying as a “large expenditure” for the State Department?

Yeah, no.
For it to be corruption you'd have to able to show that someone was being corrupted, so evidence like the curtains' costs were inflated so someone could have skimmed off the excess money.

SG: Do you have any evidence that someone in the State department was getting a kickback?
Old 16th September 2018, 11:40 PM   #49
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

First, I don't give a rip it was "Obama". It's been well over a year and a half. Does this woman have a department budget and does she have some idea what's on it or not? Does she review some of the expenditures like the ones affecting her residence?

Any evidence that she does control that side of the budget? Any evidence that this wasn't an already committed or even already paid cost?
Old 16th September 2018, 11:43 PM   #50
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What am I supposed to correct? I'm lost as to this side discussion.

There's so much government money flowing around one has to wonder if Trump isn't pulling the LLC shuffle with various department budgets.

This was from another thread: Kos: DHS Transferred $9.8Million from FEMA to ICE
You claimed that the expenditure on curtains was evidence that she was corrupt but you have not - at least yet - been able to support that claim.

My posts above indicate the type of evidence that would be needed to support your claim about the curtains and her being corrupt.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:34 AM   #51
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You claimed that the expenditure on curtains was evidence that she was corrupt but you have not - at least yet - been able to support that claim.

My posts above indicate the type of evidence that would be needed to support your claim about the curtains and her being corrupt.
SG looked behind the curtain - what more evidence could you possibly ask for??
Old 17th September 2018, 12:38 AM   #52
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Could you quit assuming I didn't know about the drape order being made before Trump got in office? It's in the link I posted. D'uh. I read it before I started the thread.

I'm sorry you don't want to lose your belief in that single holdout who didn't look as bad as the rest of them.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:43 AM   #53
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Have you any evidence

1) That she was aware this was happening
2) That she could have canceled it

?
Both those questions ought to be a no brainer. First, if she didn't know about a major expenditure upgrade on the apartment she was living in, what does that tell you about how she manages the department budget. Managing the budget or at least overseeing it is what department heads do.

And second, why wouldn't she have had the authority to cancel the installation? The contract was made more almost 2 years out. There is no reason a contract for drapes with that lead time couldn't be cancelled.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:46 AM   #54
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

For it to be corruption you'd have to able to show that someone was being corrupted, so evidence like the curtains' costs were inflated so someone could have skimmed off the excess money.

SG: Do you have any evidence that someone in the State department was getting a kickback?
We're back to differing definitions of corruption. Did Pruitt or Carson get kickbacks for their excessive expenditures? Was Carson going to take his 50K desk with him when he left?
Old 17th September 2018, 01:09 AM   #55
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Both those questions ought to be a no brainer. First, if she didn't know about a major expenditure upgrade on the apartment she was living in, what does that tell you about how she manages the department budget. Managing the budget or at least overseeing it is what department heads do.
Evidence that her apartment falls under the budget she controls?

Certainly in the UK such budgets are often held and controlled by something like the "property department" rather than individual departments.

Quote:
And second, why wouldn't she have had the authority to cancel the installation? The contract was made more almost 2 years out. There is no reason a contract for drapes with that lead time couldn't be cancelled.
That's an argument from personal incredulity rather than a sound logical argument.

There are many reasons such a contract couldn't be canceled, the first might just be because it is a contract, which is a legally binding agreement between two parties, usually one side doesn't have the ability to walk away without some form of penalty. I can list some more possible reasons if you would like?

But what you or I can speculate on is irrelevant to the actual argument you are trying to make i.e. that she could have halted this expensive expenditure and it is an example of her being corrupt.

You still have not supported that claim, to summarise the minimum that you would need to be able to evidence to support your claim:

1) That she was aware of and had control over the budget involved
2) That she had the authority to break the contract
3) That the contract involved some form of corruption, for example inflated cost because some is skimming off a payment.
Old 17th September 2018, 01:12 AM   #56
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

We're back to differing definitions of corruption. Did Pruitt or Carson get kickbacks for their excessive expenditures? Was Carson going to take his 50K desk with him when he left?
Corruption is a pretty well understood term and it does not cover legally purchasing furniture at the actual cost of the item. Extravagance is not corruption no matter how obscene that extravagance might be as long as it was legal.

Why try to confuse the issue you wish to highlight by using "corruption" in a non-standard way, it will only prevent people from following your arguments?
Old 17th September 2018, 01:15 AM   #57
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't think anyone on the Trump team is competent enough to understand the budget of their departments.
Old 17th September 2018, 02:18 AM   #58
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I don't think anyone on the Trump team is competent enough to understand the budget of their departments.
We know Trump isn't. He doesn't even read contracts he signs.
Old 17th September 2018, 04:38 AM   #59
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Both those questions ought to be a no brainer. First, if she didn't know about a major expenditure upgrade on the apartment she was living in, what does that tell you about how she manages the department budget.
Why would you think an ambassador manages The State Department's budget?

Quote:
Managing the budget or at least overseeing it is what department heads do.
She's not a department head, she's an ambassador.

Also:
Quote:
As Jake Tapper reports, a source from the U.S. Mission to the U.N. told CNN that “In June of 2016 it was decided that the State Department's Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations would outfit the new residence (this is standard operating procedure for Ambassadors' residences across the globe.)” and that “In July of 2016 the first site visit was complete and the designer from OBO chose and ordered the curtains shortly thereafter (summer 2016). Also SOP [standard operating practice] OBO does not personalize residences to individual Ambassador's tastes.”
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 06:01 AM   #60
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Why would you think an ambassador manages The State Department's budget?

She's not a department head, she's an ambassador.

Also:
Thanks for that, I did think it was unlikely she controlled the budget for her apartment, good to have it confirmed.
Old 17th September 2018, 06:48 AM   #61
carlitos
"más divertido"

I have a prediction...
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 06:55 AM   #62
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I have a prediction...
It's actually too late for predictions.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 08:05 AM   #63
Imhotep
Muse

This thread is like a microcosm of our national discourse... painfully going nowhere fast.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 08:12 AM   #64
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

The curtains described in the article cited in the OP probably aren't even a good example of overspending. They are probably appropriate to the place. We're talking a 6,000 square foot NYC apartment used for "entertaining" which I assume means official ambassador business. The place costs 58 grand a month according to the article. Spending one month's rent on drapes is probably completely appropriate.

https://graceallendesign.com/much-custom-drapery-cost/

Quote:
You should expect to spend around $1000.00-1500.00 per average window with moderate price point home fabric and a quality custom rod.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 17th September 2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 17th September 2018, 08:21 AM   #65
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Spending $50k of govt money on govt apartment: possibly thriftless, depends on how much they normally cost.

Spending $1 of govt money on personal apartment: corrupt.
Old 17th September 2018, 08:23 AM   #66
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Spending $50k of govt money on govt apartment: possibly thriftless, depends on how much they normally cost.

Spending $1 of govt money on personal apartment: corrupt.
And which is this?

Old 17th September 2018, 08:24 AM   #67
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Pruitt, Carson, and Haley.

One of these is not like the other.

Can she take the curtains with her when she leaves?

And, like 50K is a whole lotta simoleans.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 08:29 AM   #68
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And which is this?
I don't see how it can be corrupt unless the curtains wind up in somebody's own home instead of where they were intended for, or if they actually cost less and the bill was padded to either skim money or hide another expenditure that actually was corrupt. In any event it doesn't look like it's Haley's doing, unless she got a memo saying 'OK to spend $50k on fake curtains to get coke and strippers?' and she replied 'heck yeah, make sure mine's a redhead'.
Old 17th September 2018, 08:31 AM   #69
carlitos
"más divertido"

Scott Pruitt - Department Head, Secretary. Budget Authority for his office.
Ben Carson - Department Head, Secretary. Budget Authority for his office.
Nikki Haley - Ambassador to the UN. No Budget Authority for her apartment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg state dept.jpg (95.3 KB, 18 views)
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 08:33 AM   #70
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Yeah, I don't think she gets to take them home. All the evidence says this expenditure was planned when suggesting that someone named Nikki Haley was going to live there probably would have gotten a "who?" response.

ETA: No, not a "Who"? response, probably laughter at the time.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 17th September 2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 17th September 2018, 08:49 AM   #71
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

To get back to the OP:
Absence Of Evidence Is Not Evidence Of Absence

Nikki Haley definitely has been corrupted by working for Trump, and in the interest of her career she will do and say whatever she thinks is most advantageous.
Old 17th September 2018, 08:52 AM   #72
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

To get back to the OP:

Nikki Haley definitely has been corrupted by working for Trump, and in the interest of her career she will do and say whatever she thinks is most advantageous.
was that opinion supposed to be an example of "Absence Of Evidence"? Because if so, you knocked it out of the park.

The OP is not just missing evidence, the actual evidence shows it is completely untrue.
Old 17th September 2018, 08:57 AM   #73
beren
Graduate Poster

Please provide a definition of corruption that applies here.
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 08:58 AM   #74
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I don't think she gets to take them home. All the evidence says this expenditure was planned when suggesting that someone named Nikki Haley was going to live there probably would have gotten a "who?" response.

ETA: No, not a "Who"? response, probably laughter at the time.
Agreed.

Look at it this way: John Kerry's State Department approved the expense for what was then UN Ambassador Susan Power's residence. At the time, Kerry probably thought he had every reason to believe Power would continue on as ambassador, at least into the beginning of Clinton's first term. The curtains were intended for Power, or someone very much like her.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 09:00 AM   #75
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Pinning this on Haley is weak tea, in a time when toxic sludge is abundant.
Old 17th September 2018, 09:01 AM   #76
kellyb
Philosopher

The curtains described in the article cited in the OP probably aren't even a good example of overspending. They are probably appropriate to the place. We're talking a 6,000 square foot NYC apartment used for "entertaining" which I assume means official ambassador business. The place costs 58 grand a month according to the article. Spending one month's rent on drapes is probably completely appropriate.

https://graceallendesign.com/much-custom-drapery-cost/

This is a rare case where I think the government should just "eminent domain" the property.
Old 17th September 2018, 09:02 AM   #77
beren
Graduate Poster

To get back to the OP:

It is possible that Haley is corrupt af. I am willing to entertain that possibility.
It would shock me in any way.

The curtains are, in no way, evidence of corruption.
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 09:03 AM   #78
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post

This is a rare case where I think the government should just "eminent domain" the property.
Now that would be corruption, or tyranny. Why in the world do you think that??

Old 17th September 2018, 09:07 AM   #79
kellyb
Philosopher

Now that would be corruption, or tyranny. Why in the world do you think that??
Why not?
Old 17th September 2018, 09:12 AM   #80
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Agreed.

Look at it this way: John Kerry's State Department approved the expense for what was then UN Ambassador Susan Power's residence. At the time, Kerry probably thought he had every reason to believe Power would continue on as ambassador, at least into the beginning of Clinton's first term. The curtains were intended for Power, or someone very much like her.
I misread that as 'Susan Powter' and had a vision of her ripping down curtains and shouting 'stop the insanity!'

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics