ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st September 2018, 06:11 AM   #121
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Nikki Haley is a neocon shill, one of the long list of appointments beginning with Goldman Sachs appointments very early on through the Abominable ******* himself: Bolton for Christ's sake. If you haven't woken up yet and can't see the total neocon victory there then you have no eyes.

Holding up a picture of a dead baby to justify killing a lot more of them, just no hypocrisy quite like that. Do you think she's clueless that ISIS is our joint creation with Gulf States, particulary Saudi Arabia. We're the air force for ISIS/Al Qaeda or whatever brand you want to put on our Wahhabis in Syria.
You may want to check out the OP.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 06:36 AM   #122
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Probably fake news. I am told Snopes has turned into hot *********** garbage.
I find them to be highly accurate when I agree withe their conclusions.

Anyrate, Haley and the Trump administration should get no more credit for moving the residence than they should get blame for the expensive drapes. It seemed pretty apparent to me what was going on here from the beginning.

Pretty much anytime you see one of these stories about government spending, always check the details before casting blame. A. It often takes longer for the government to implement changes, so appointees are very likely find themselves stuck with their predecessors decisions. B. I'd be surprised if either Haley or the previous ambassador had any idea what any of this costs prior to this story.

Last edited by ahhell; 21st September 2018 at 07:28 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 07:10 AM   #123
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Probably fake news. I am told Snopes has turned into hot *********** garbage.
I heard a rumor that the online site that debunks rumors was inaccurate.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 08:40 AM   #124
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I find them to be highly accurate when I agree withe their conclusions.
I think they're really accurate on simplistic issues, stuff like where it's pretty obvious that someone just did something like make up a fake quote, and then the lie spread all over the internet as memes and forwarded emails. You can spend 30 minutes googling stuff yourself to prove it that way, or you can just see if there's already a snopes about it.

With fantastically complex and nuanced issues where it would take weeks or months of study to understand what's going on with that issue (like, if the peer review process behind the "climategate" email thing really might have some degree of bias in play) I'd consider snopes more like a jumping off point than "the final word".
Old 26th September 2018, 11:14 PM   #125
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Bump, 'cuz who doesn't appreciate Nikki's Sarah Parseltongue imitation at the UN yesterday? Is she auditioning for WhiteHouse Spokesspinner?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 11:49 PM   #126
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Bump, 'cuz who doesn't appreciate Nikki's Sarah Parseltongue imitation at the UN yesterday? Is she auditioning for WhiteHouse Spokesspinner?
She's almost as bad as John Kerry.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 11:54 PM   #127
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
worse, since she considers her time with Trump as part of her career that will eventually lead to the presidential primaries.
Kelly knows he is done after this, one way or another.
Old 27th September 2018, 12:20 AM   #128
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I appreciate that it's late where you are, but flimsy whataboutism? Really?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 08:31 AM   #129
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I appreciate that it's late where you are, but flimsy whataboutism? Really?
The thread is literally a Whataboutism thread.
Old 27th September 2018, 09:07 AM   #130
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

The thread is literally a Whataboutism thread.
I disagree. I believe it's a "I read this article, and started ranting, and when I found out it was retracted I refused to retract my rant in any way" thread.
Old 27th September 2018, 09:39 AM   #131
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I disagree. I believe it's a "I read this article, and started ranting, and when I found out it was retracted I refused to retract my rant in any way" thread.
Also a fair assessment.
Old 27th September 2018, 09:41 AM   #132
carlitos
"más divertido"

A link to this discussion should be in the OP's signature.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 01:49 PM   #133
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
A link to this discussion should be in the OP's signature.
That's a bit Old Testament.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 01:54 PM   #134
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That's a bit Old Testament.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But at this point I'm pretty sure Skeptic Ginger's body of work speaks for itself.
Old 27th September 2018, 02:58 PM   #135
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yep, what was Mary's kid thinking?

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 07:14 AM   #136
bobdroege7
Master Poster

I guess those curtains don't matter anymore.

Nikki's prepping for 2020

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 07:52 AM   #137
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Nikki said she's not running for POTUS in 2020 and will be supporting Trump. She's a real star and a real loss, and will be staying on through the end of the year. (75% GOP approval and 55% Dem.)
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 07:53 AM   #138
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
I guess those curtains don't matter anymore.

Nikki's prepping for 2020
The curtains never mattered. And even if they had, they wouldn't have been Haley's problem anyway.
Old 9th October 2018, 07:55 AM   #139
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Speculation: Haley replaces Graham in the Senate when Graham becomes AG.

Any merit?

ETA (and off topic): but wouldn't Graham be foolish to give up a safe Senate seat?

Last edited by Firestone; 9th October 2018 at 07:58 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 08:25 AM   #140
bobdroege7
Master Poster

I'll speculate too,

Is likely Trump will not be running in 2020, so Pence Haley is not so far fetched.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 08:27 AM   #141
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Nikki said she's not running for POTUS in 2020 and will be supporting Trump. She's a real star and a real loss, and will be staying on through the end of the year. (75% GOP approval and 55% Dem.)
That's literally what everyone says until the time comes.
Old 9th October 2018, 08:29 AM   #142
River
Illuminator

Nikki Haley offers resignation.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/36896...n-hank-berrien

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 08:31 AM   #143
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That's literally what everyone says until the time comes.
Trump says she will be welcomed back in any capacity she wants. They are obviously good friends and close allies.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 09:29 AM   #144
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Trump says she will be welcomed back in any capacity she wants. They are obviously good friends and close allies.
...and Haley rightly guesses that Trump is lucky to make it to 2020 at all.
Better to abandon ship before it becomes obvious that you are one of the rats.
Old 9th October 2018, 11:05 AM   #145
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Twittershphere is abuzz with this plan:

Graham replaces Sessions as AG after election.

Haley gets appointed to Graham senate seat.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.....

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 9th October 2018 at 11:20 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 11:25 AM   #146
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

I really don't see Graham giving up his senate seat to be Trump's AG. I don't think he really likes Trump or what Trump has done to the party. He really seems a Party First kind of guy.

Old 9th October 2018, 11:30 AM   #147
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Maybe not so much anymore...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashabl...ham-tweets.amp
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 12:27 PM   #148
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

Any merit?
Well, it would make Nikki Haley just as corrupt as everyone else who's ever resigned from one political office in order to seek another. Skeptic Ginger's original accusation invited comparison with the previous administration, so it's probably worth mentioning that Barack Obama himself did it once or twice.
Old 9th October 2018, 12:55 PM   #149
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

Any merit?

ETA (and off topic): but wouldn't Graham be foolish to give up a safe Senate seat?
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

Duh, sorry somehow I didn't see above post.
Old 9th October 2018, 02:46 PM   #150
crescent
Master Poster

She is being replaced by Richard Grenell (current U.S. Ambassador to Germany).

Pro (from Trump's point of view, not mine): He's very right wing

Con (from the GOP point of view, not mine): He's gay, thusly unpopular with social conservatives.

Quote:
In June 2018, Grenell stirred controversy by telling right-wing news outlet Breitbart News, "I absolutely want to empower other conservatives throughout Europe, other leaders."[13] It was viewed as anti-establishment.[14][15] This was described as a breach of diplomatic protocol, as ambassadors are expected to be politically neutral in the domestic politics of the countries where they serve.[13] Prominent German politicians called for Grenell's dismissal.[16][17][18][19] Martin Schulz, former leader of the Social Democratic Party of Germany, said, "What this man is doing is unheard of in international diplomacy. If a German ambassador were to say in Washington that he is there to boost the Democrats, he would have been kicked out immediately."[16]

Last edited by crescent; 9th October 2018 at 02:48 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 12:52 AM   #151
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Well, it would make Nikki Haley just as corrupt as everyone else who's ever resigned from one political office in order to seek another.
Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm here, but I don't find it corrupt to resign one office to seek another one.

That being said, I still doubt Graham would give up his Senate seat for what might be a difficult 2 year gig as AG.

Lawrence O'Donnell speculated on MSNBC that maybe Haley is resigning to make some real money in the private sector for awhile, before returning to politics. (If so, nothing wrong with that either.)
Old 10th October 2018, 12:57 AM   #152
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Wow, the German's must be thrilled to get rid of Grenell: he has praised the rise of far-right, anti-semitic parties in Europe too many times.
Old 10th October 2018, 03:16 AM   #153
Belz...
Fiend God

Ok I take it back. Apparently Trump really is considering Ivanka.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 04:25 AM   #154
Belz...
Fiend God

Wait, Haley has presidential ambitions? She has zero charisma!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 04:41 AM   #155
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Seriously?

Or am I missing some comic reference?

I was surprised when she took the UN job. I thought it was kind of a step down from governor. However, a piece I heard yesterday pointed out that now she can credibly claim that she has foreign policy experience......just in case she ever seeks a job where that sort of thing looks good on a resume.

For my part, quitting jobs halfway through the term doesn't look so good on a resume, though, but who knows what she is really thinking or planning at this point.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 04:44 AM   #156
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Seriously?

Or am I missing some comic reference?

I was surprised when she took the UN job. I thought it was kind of a step down from governor. However, a piece I heard yesterday pointed out that now she can credibly claim that she has foreign policy experience......just in case she ever seeks a job where that sort of thing looks good on a resume.

For my part, quitting jobs halfway through the term doesn't look so good on a resume, though, but who knows what she is really thinking or planning at this point.
I'm just pointing out that she has the charisma of a ping-pong ball.

Old 10th October 2018, 04:46 AM   #157
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just pointing out that she has the charisma of a ping-pong ball.
I suppose charisma is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think your assessment is widely shared.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 04:49 AM   #158
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I don't know, seems kind of common for the job.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un...United_Nations

A fair number have stayed for about 4 years, but 2 year stints aren't at all unusual.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 05:13 AM   #159
Drewbot
Philosopher

You probably said the same thing about Trump.

Either way you are incorrect.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 05:24 AM   #160
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
You probably said the same thing about Trump.

Either way you are incorrect.
Oh, no. Trump has some charisma. In fact his one and only talent is to sell himself. So, nice try, but next time base your retroactive predictions on actual fact.

And no, I'm not 'incorrect'. I find that she has no charisma.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics