ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Christine Blasey Ford , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees , Trump controversies

Old 28th September 2018, 09:34 PM   #1
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

New SCOTUS Judge II: The Wrath of Kavanaugh

Mod InfoThis is a continuation thread. Part I may be found here. It may be freely quoted and referenced in this thread.
Posted By:Loss Leader

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Are you saying that both attended the SAME Prep school? Seriously?
Yes. Gorsuch was a sophomore when Kavanaugh was a senior.

(Or so I've read. Off to Wikipedia to be sure.....)

ETA: Yep. Georgetown Prep. Kavanaugh graduated in 83, Gorsuch in 85.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 28th September 2018 at 10:11 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 09:36 PM   #2
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by River View Post
Apparently the chair of the committee agrees with my perception of it, not yours. The ABA is a volunteer private organization entitled to their opinion like any other regardless of who or what they support.
Apparently the Republican Chair of the Let's Railroad Through a Foul Conservative Rapey Guy Committee agrees with you.

Bu... bu.... doesn't he know you voted for Obama?

(Hint: This is guerrilla theater. Neither statement has any validity.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Ok, so how about we go by the same standards we use ourselves in different situations, instead of comparing two sets of standards used by two sets of other people?

When Bill Clinton lied about his sex life, I was totally unconcerned, and thought the Republicans looked ridiculous for impeaching him and trying him. In this case, if I found that Brett Kavanaugh lied about the assault allegations, I would say throw the bum out, because that was the central and significant issue that was being investigated. If he was less than forthcoming and a bit weaselly about how much he drank 2/3 of his lifetime ago.....meh. The senators' questions were worse than the nominee's lies.

And it doesn't mean that I approve of Bill Clinton's lies or Brett Kavanaugh's lies. I don't even understand Kavanaugh's. They were about things 35 years ago, and made him look like a doofus, which is not exactly an endearing quality in a Supreme Court Justice, but when I hear "Perjury!", I think back to a similar situation 20 years ago, and remember how I explained to people that not all lies under oath are perjury. It's only perjury when it is something material to a case.
The accusation is that he tried to rape someone while piss-drunk. The lie is that he never drank that much and he never blacked out, despite literally everyone who knew him back then describing him as a blackout, belligerent drunk.

It is entirely material to the case.

[ETA] Oh also
Ok, so how about we go by the same standards we use ourselves in different situations, instead of comparing two sets of standards used by two sets of other people?
Speaking of going by the same standards we use ourselves, you are familiar with Kavanaugh's role in the Clinton hearings, right?

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 28th September 2018 at 09:45 PM.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 09:39 PM   #4
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, my main point wasn't specifically about his anger and whether it was justified, but about anger in general. It's just frowned upon these days. Expressing anger is taboo. Remember, "Have you no shame, Senator?" That guy was pretty angry. I think a lot of people these days would figure he must have actually been a communist. What about the fictional scene in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"? I guess it wouldn't play well these days. No anger allowed.

Of course, it's odd. Some displays of anger are ok or at least understandable. I don't think it applies on this board, but I heard various talking heads express sympathy with people shouting and screaming from the public seats during the regular hearings. I guess it's ok to be angry sometimes.
I think if you go back and watch the exchange between Joe Welch and Joe McCarthy, you will notice a huge difference between Welch's demeanor and Kavanaugh. Welch was angry but controlled and his voice barely rose. I've seen plenty of times where distinguished people in power getting angry. Kavanaugh needs to show some self control.

Last edited by acbytesla; 28th September 2018 at 09:45 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 09:44 PM   #5
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. Gorsuch was a sophomore when Kavanaugh was a senior.

(Or so I've read. Off to Wikipedia to be sure.....)

Two right wing white turds defecated by the same privileged private high school. Amazing.

Last edited by acbytesla; 28th September 2018 at 10:02 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 09:59 PM   #6
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Christine Ford's bank records would show payment to the contractor who installed the escape door in her house. She gave testimony under oath that the work was done in 2012, and then she subsequently had to attend marriage counseling over the episode.

If it turns out the work was done in 2008, she committed perjury.
Did she? Can you quote the part of her testimony where she said that? This is what I found:

Quote:
Over the years, I told very, very few friends that I had this traumatic experience. I told my husband before we were married that I had experienced a sexual assault. I had never told the details to anyone -- the specific details -- until May 2012, during a couples counseling session.
The reason this came up in counseling is that my husband and I had completed a very extensive, very long remodel of our home and I insisted on a second front door, an idea that he and others disagreed with and could not understand.
In explaining why I wanted a second front door, I began to describe the assault in detail. I recall saying that the boy who assaulted me could someday be on the U.S. Supreme Court, and spoke a bit about his background at an elitist all-boys school in Bethesda, Maryland. My husband recalls that I named my attacker as Brett Kavanaugh.
That's from her opening testimony. The only things she says happened in 2012 were the counseling session and, during that session, her explanation to her husband for why she wanted the second door, which is when he heard the details of her experience with Kavanaugh for the first time. The work putting up the door could have been done anytime in the previous four years, and nothing she says contradicts that. (In fact, "very extensive and very long remodel" supports what stacyhs said earlier, that the remodel could indeed have begun as long ago as that)

Now it's possible that she said something during the later questioning to the effect of "the work on the door was done in 2012," and I haven't seen it. If so, you can show me. But if not- no, sorry, you can't charge someone with perjury based on the fact that you either don't actually know what they said or just have the reading-comprehension skills of a slow first-grader.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 10:03 PM   #7
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Are you saying that both attended the SAME Prep school? Seriously?
Yes.
Quote:
The elite high school also graduated President Donald Trump's other Supreme Court appointee, Neil Gorsuch, and Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...920-story.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 10:24 PM   #8
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
The accusation is that he tried to rape someone while piss-drunk. The lie is that he never drank that much and he never blacked out, despite literally everyone who knew him back then describing him as a blackout, belligerent drunk.
Let's never forget that as bad as the (attempted) sexual assault was, what traumatized her was that he (allegedly) covered her face and she couldn't breathe. She says she thought he might kill her. That's way beyond a teenage prank.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 10:37 PM   #9
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I was mid-reading when the mods split the thread to silence the brilliant arguments by the conservative caucus due to length. Where I left off we were a-speculating on Flake/McConnel/Trump actions and why.

Take it all back to Flake. He only voted the bill out of committee if he had confirmation that McConnell was going to ask the White House for investigation. His threat to vote No meant nothing. He had at least two more votes and would've made the No vote Pence-proof.

McConnell knew that or he never would've agreed. Lindsey knew it, and as he's the one who speaks Turdblossomese, Trump now knows it.

It's optics. They were going to get screwed so are now trying to appear to be Solomon-like.

Trump, in his fevered presser the other day, said he was interested to hear her out. The spittle on Lindsey's chin hadn't dried up before he tweeted support for Rapeydrunk Judge. Three hours later he had someone write something nice about the lying harlot. Did they consciously juxtapose incredible and credible? Or were they 'aving the leetle joke, eh? Donnie probably altered enough report cards and assessments in his time.

"In the course so far, Cadet Bonestars has proven incapable of grasping the basic material in the course."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 10:41 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post12446302
Originally Posted by abcytesla
It really isn't much of a gamble. And there is a 60 plus percent chance they hold on to the Senate. Are you telling me the Republicans don't have a half dozen suitable candidates on the shelf right this moment?
It's Trump that is picking the next in line, not the GOP. But The Federalist Society most certainly has the list Trump is choosing from.

It appears McConnell may also want his right wing minion on the bench ASAP.

I don't know, I just know McConnell is insisting on ramming this appointment through.

Is it just knee-jerk on McConnell's part? You tell me what you think?
Old 28th September 2018, 10:46 PM   #11
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Just like phony allegations are "good pretty much forever."
When you're forced to become an ankle biter, you learn to love the taste of ankles. Bwahahahahahaha!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 10:49 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker
This is the kind of thing I feared about extending the investigation. Look into every nook and cranny to find anything at all, and yell "Perjury!" a lot.

But, they will look into that, and it will be a trivial exercise to find out when it was done, and if it was indeed done in 2008, that will raise a red flag, but the FBI does this stuff for a living. They'll figure out if it's significant.
So you don't think it matters if Kavanaugh was lying today? Or in his previous confirmations which emails apparently contradicted his testimony?
Old 28th September 2018, 10:51 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Dr. Ford wanting another door is not unsurprising. When my mother added on a downstairs master bedroom after my dad died, she insisted on it having a door to the outside. Her reason? She said she would feel trapped if anyone ever broke in. She would only feel safe if she knew she could get out of the house quickly directly from the bedroom. Dr. Ford must have felt trapped in that bedroom in 1982.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 28th September 2018 at 10:57 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 10:54 PM   #14
Bob001
Philosopher

Apparently when he was nominated to the appeals court in 2006, the ABA had some reservations about Kav:
Quote:
But in May 2006, as Republicans hoped to finally push Kavanaugh’s nomination across the finish line, the ABA downgraded its endorsement.

The group’s judicial investigator had recently interviewed dozens of lawyers, judges and others who had worked with Kavanaugh, the ABA announced at the time, and some of them raised red flags about “his professional experience and the question of his freedom from bias and open-mindedness.”

“One interviewee remained concerned about the nominee’s ability to be balanced and fair should he assume a federal judgeship,” the ABA committee chairman wrote to senators in 2006. “Another interviewee echoed essentially the same thoughts: ‘(He is) immovable and very stubborn and frustrating to deal with on some issues.’”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.c2d4aab9a7f8
Old 28th September 2018, 10:57 PM   #15
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Dr. Ford wanting another door is not unsurprising. When my mother added on a downstairs master bedroom after my dad died, she insisted on it having a door to the outside. er reason? She said she would feel trapped if anyone ever broke in. She would only feel safe if she knew she could get out of the house quickly directly from the bedroom. Dr. Ford must have felt trapped in that bedroom in 1982.
Not to digress, but I would fear an door directly from the outside into the bedroom could be used by intruders to break in. How many locks were on the door?
Old 28th September 2018, 11:01 PM   #16
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Apparently when he was nominated to the appeals court in 2006, the ABA had some reservations about Kav:

Quote:
But in May 2006, as Republicans hoped to finally push Kavanaugh’s nomination across the finish line, the ABA downgraded its endorsement.

The group’s judicial investigator had recently interviewed dozens of lawyers, judges and others who had worked with Kavanaugh, the ABA announced at the time, and some of them raised red flags about “his professional experience and the question of his freedom from bias and open-mindedness.”

“One interviewee remained concerned about the nominee’s ability to be balanced and fair should he assume a federal judgeship,” the ABA committee chairman wrote to senators in 2006. “Another interviewee echoed essentially the same thoughts: ‘(He is) immovable and very stubborn and frustrating to deal with on some issues.’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.c2d4aab9a7f8
After K's rant about the Dems being out to get him and it being revenge for Clinton, I don't think he could be balanced and fair with anything Dem supported.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 11:03 PM   #17
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Not to digress, but I would fear an door directly from the outside into the bedroom could be used by intruders to break in. How many locks were on the door?
There was a regular lock and a deadbolt. It was about how she felt, what gave her a sense of security. Having the door did. She also worried about fire as there was no egress from the upstairs and she could not go down the stairs quickly at her age.
Old 28th September 2018, 11:07 PM   #18
Cain
Straussian

2024: Kavanaugh for President.
Old 28th September 2018, 11:09 PM   #19
kellyb
Philosopher

There was a regular lock and a deadbolt. It was about how she felt, what gave her a sense of security. Having the door did. She also worried about fire as there was no egress from the upstairs and she could not go down the stairs quickly at her age.
Yeah, I can totally see that, and you're almost definitely right about "Dr. Ford must have felt trapped in that bedroom in 1982." Poor lady. PTSD can fade over the years, but some part it often sticks with you for forever.
Old 28th September 2018, 11:20 PM   #20
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheSupermeercat View Post
New SCOTUS Judge
Kavanaugh meets Jules from Pulp Fiction.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/p7Unb8_GxtM[/youtube]
that's hilarious.
Old 28th September 2018, 11:21 PM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So what should the FBI investigation focus on?

For me, the report won't be complete without description of Kavanaugh's history of "boofing".
Old 28th September 2018, 11:28 PM   #22
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Liz Swisher, a Yale classmate of Kavanaugh, said on Cuomo tonight that K was lying about the extent of his drinking. She said he was a "sloppy drunk". She also said the 'Ralph Club' had nothing to do with a sensitive stomach...it was about vomiting from excess alcohol. Switzer said he committed perjury and that disqualifies him from the SC.
Old 28th September 2018, 11:33 PM   #23
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
McConnell might very well be afraid if he doesn't get Kavanaugh through, he is going to get his comeuppance when the GOP loses the Senate. It's Kavanaugh or no nominee floor vote until 2020.
I don't think that would happen even if Dems got the Senate. Their nominee would probably be Merrick Garland.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And much as the news media is echoing a change in the Senate is unlikely, 538's latest polls suggest otherwise.
I'm carefully managing my expectations - it would be nice though. Maybe House races can illustrate to the Senate that bipartisanship might be in their best interests.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 11:39 PM   #24
Minoosh
Philosopher

For me it was always knowing I had an escape route. If he's coming in the bedroom door, you have a good shot at making it out the front door.

I lived with fear if I was alone at night in a freestanding house. I don't think it was paranoia. I made a list in another thread of the events that led to this and the measures I took. It's pretty sad.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 11:47 PM   #25
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
For me it was always knowing I had an escape route. If he's coming in the bedroom door, you have a good shot at making it out the front door.

I lived with fear if I was alone at night in a freestanding house. I don't think it was paranoia. I made a list in another thread of the events that led to this and the measures I took. It's pretty sad.
I wonder how many men think about escape routes from someone breaking in?
Old 29th September 2018, 12:07 AM   #26
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
So what should the FBI investigation focus on?

For me, the report won't be complete without description of Kavanaugh's history of "boofing".
The Renate explanation deserves to be looked into, and witnesses who could testify to the extent of Kavanaugh's early drinking history. Not because it was so bad; just because it would offset his own minimizing testimony and speak to his veracity. If he did get blackout drunk - and he was extremely evasive and aggressive regarding this - it ups the chances that he doesn't remember some of his alcoholic behavior. I suppose his financial situation has been explained, but that might bear further looking into, including a timeline showing how he got into debt and out of it.

The people who have spoken to the media should probably also speak to the FBI. I'm not sure how many have been mentioned by name. Avenatti, meh, I really don't think he's got a bombshell but I might be wrong. Some senator referred to him repeatedly to disparage his statement so far, so I think he should be heard out, but only if his client really wants to.

Renate was on that list of 65 names praising Kavnaugh, so her revised opinion of him may not matter much, but she obviously didn't think it was a term of endearment.

I feel like the FBI should at least contact the character witnesses - maybe not all of them, but enough to clarify how well they actually knew him

Priests are out of bounds, which on the whole is a good thing. OTOH I'm probably missing something. I don't know if the FBI will do all this, though; probably not.

I don't think they will address the holding back of 100,000 pages of documents; not really their department. But bear in mind that George W. Bush would only have held back 27,000 pages. I believe they could reveal extreme partisanship. But I guess we already knew that.

I believe Feinstein on why allegations were held back but this needs to be discussed, since in theory she could have alerted the FBI sooner.

IMO, he should be asked why he gave an exclusive interview to Fox News.

Kavanaugh is going to hate this. Quite aside from his possible Jekyll and Hyde personality change while drinking, there are enough other indicators to me that he is not suitable to being a SC justice. But that's partly a visceral reaction; I am extremely repelled by the guy, but "seems creepy" is not evidence.
Old 29th September 2018, 12:10 AM   #27
smartcooky
Philosopher

Quote:
Christine Blasey Ford told the US Senate Judiciary Committee that the memories of Brett Kavanaugh “first came up” when she went into counseling in 2012. In May 2012 Ford and her husband argued over her desire to add “a second front door” to their home. Ford told the committee on Thursday the desire for a second door was because Brett Kavanaugh made her “claustrophobic.”

As Paul Sperry reported on Thursday night. The Palo Alto building permits were issued to Ford and her husband in 2008 — NOT 2012.
-- Jim Hoft (Gateway Pundit) Sept 27, 2018

"BREAKING: Palo Alto bldg permit records raise questions about Ford's testimony she completed an “extensive remodel” of home in 2012 & that this was seminal event that led her down path to coming out against Kavanaugh b/c she needed to add an escape door. Permit was issued in 2008."

-- Paul Sperry (Hoover Institute) Sept 27, 2018
Sorry this took so long to reply to this, it took me a while to dig out the records.

In the mid 2000s we did some extensive remodelling of our house.
In Nelson, when the council grants a building consent, you have 12 months to begin the works.

We tried to have each stage completed by Christmas of each year.

BC application: 16 July 2003

BC granted: 12 October 2003

Kitchen remodelling Commenced: mid-June 2004 (first invoice from contractor dated 26 June) - completed December 2004.

Bathroom refit commenced: July 2005 (I recall we delayed this so that this would take place over the early summer - completed early December 2005

Master Bedroom (second storey) refit commenced: June 2006 (included the installation of a ranch-slider that required additional strengthening. Additionally the next stage was a deck which the builder decided that he wanted to build first so that access to the outside of the second storey walls around where the ranch slider was to be installed would be easier. This required the erection of scaffolding. We had to wait over 10 weeks just to get the scaffolding done because we had not planned on needing it).

The work was stopped for a month over the Christmas period. The Master Bedroom refit and the building of the deck was completed mid-March 2007.

Electrical Code of Compliance Cert issued: April 2007
Final building inspection carried out June 2007
Final building Code of Compliance Certificate issued: August 2007

So it took us four years & one month from the granting of a building consent to the completion of the work. I am told that is very quick for the amount of work we had done. It would have been quicker if we have known about the scaffolding.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 12:13 AM   #28
Minoosh
Philosopher

I wonder how many men think about escape routes from someone breaking in?
Probably none, but I think some are being educated by their wives and daughters about the fear of being overpowered and raped. Then there's also the chance of getting killed. Would it make a difference to any of those men, I don't know. But a few of them must have emotional reactions to the allegations. I don't know if this could or would change anyone's vote, but it certainly might give them pause.
Old 29th September 2018, 12:42 AM   #29
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Probably none, but I think some are being educated by their wives and daughters about the fear of being overpowered and raped. Then there's also the chance of getting killed. Would it make a difference to any of those men, I don't know. But a few of them must have emotional reactions to the allegations. I don't know if this could or would change anyone's vote, but it certainly might give them pause.
Naaaah! These are manly men without a fear in the world. (Well, other than being caught out being scummy party hacks lying to the Senate on national TV. Then, apparently, it's the ballsiest thing in the world to sniffle and whimper. Manly men, I say!)

Old 29th September 2018, 12:55 AM   #30
Minoosh
Philosopher

There's another question I'd like asked, but it almost certainly water under the bridge now: Why his position changed on whether he was a member of the Federalist Society in 2002 (from memory). The administration has given no reason for why that much info must be withheld. Supposedly it cripples the ability to nominate judges? Why, because it is so candid? Probably. They probably show nominees are picked who serve the party's agenda and how to discourage people they don't want. I say, get it out in the open. I would buy an argument for national security, but if they simply don't wish to tip their partisanship hand, that's BS. I have not been able to find any hypothetical examples of what these documents could be hiding. A lot of swearing? Smearing?

Can anyone think of an example?

But obviously, the FBI will stick to fairly narrower parameters that should probably speak to Kavanaugh's truthfulness and to the interviewing of a few more witnesses who know him in HS and college.
Old 29th September 2018, 12:59 AM   #31
Bob001
Philosopher

More about Georgetown Prep.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-c...ilege-on-trial
Old 29th September 2018, 01:04 AM   #32
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Sorry this took so long to reply to this, it took me a while to dig out the records.

In the mid 2000s we did some extensive remodelling of our house.
In Nelson, when the council grants a building consent, you have 12 months to begin the works.

We tried to have each stage completed by Christmas of each year.

BC application: 16 July 2003

BC granted: 12 October 2003

Kitchen remodelling Commenced: mid-June 2004 (first invoice from contractor dated 26 June) - completed December 2004.

Bathroom refit commenced: July 2005 (I recall we delayed this so that this would take place over the early summer - completed early December 2005

Master Bedroom (second storey) refit commenced: June 2006 (included the installation of a ranch-slider that required additional strengthening. Additionally the next stage was a deck which the builder decided that he wanted to build first so that access to the outside of the second storey walls around where the ranch slider was to be installed would be easier. This required the erection of scaffolding. We had to wait over 10 weeks just to get the scaffolding done because we had not planned on needing it).

The work was stopped for a month over the Christmas period. The Master Bedroom refit and the building of the deck was completed mid-March 2007.

Electrical Code of Compliance Cert issued: April 2007
Final building inspection carried out June 2007
Final building Code of Compliance Certificate issued: August 2007

So it took us four years & one month from the granting of a building consent to the completion of the work. I am told that is very quick for the amount of work we had done. It would have been quicker if we have known about the scaffolding.
For anyone who wants to know how long a domestic building project can take.....
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:03 AM   #33
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

WRT whether or not Judge et al's statements are equivalent to as if they had been made under oath:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1045832561300103170

Quote:
is it just me or is "under penalty of felony" a phrase someone just made up?
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1045836322823319553

Quote:
In fact -- if you sign something "under penalty of felony," and lie, I'm not confident that's perjury. I kind of suspect it's not.
Old 29th September 2018, 02:09 AM   #34
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige
Seems like the FBI would need a week just to determine which allegations were credible enough to warrant an investigation.

And would it really matter? Say the White House complies, and the FBI spends the next week investigating. At the end of the week, they've uncovered nothing conclusive. What happens then?

Do the Never-Kavanaughs pack up their bags and go home? Does anyone actually say, "all I wanted was for the FBI to investigate. Now they've done that, and I'm satisfied."? Do we all agree that in the absence of any negative result after a whole week of investigation, Kavanaugh should indeed be confirmed to the Supreme Court?
You're absolutely right - setting a time limit on the investigation is stupid, especially one as short as this. Unless, of course, the purpose is not to actually determine the truth of the accusations, but instead to do the bare minimum in order to give the appearance of having "done something" before voting to confirm anyway.
Old 29th September 2018, 02:30 AM   #35
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Kavanaugh is going to hate this. Quite aside from his possible Jekyll and Hyde personality change while drinking, there are enough other indicators to me that he is not suitable to being a SC justice. But that's partly a visceral reaction; I am extremely repelled by the guy, but "seems creepy" is not evidence.
I have only had to interview someone for a job they were after once, and nothing like this came up. But if one of the interviewees had cried, shouted about "the left" and "Democrats" then told me over and over again how much he liked drinking beer, I don't think he would have got the job.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:44 AM   #36
fagin
Philosopher

Creepy is a perfectly reasonable reason for not employing someone.
Old 29th September 2018, 03:07 AM   #37
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

The American Supreme Court seems like a political bench to me. They are supposed to be an impartial judge of gross miscarriage of justice cases.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 03:24 AM   #38
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's possible that two protesters who confronted Flake directly with their own stories of assault may have been responsible for changing his mind
Old 29th September 2018, 03:25 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows
Michael Avenatti, the creepy porn lawyer
Denigrating those in the sex industry is fun!

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza
Kavanaugh wasn't upset during the Fox interview, which,. according to sources, made him look weak in the eyes of Trump.
So for the testimony, he turned it up to show off to the one person who mattered.
I don't believe his anger was genuine, though his desperation might have been.
It certainly looked exaggerated. Staged, even.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 03:28 AM   #40
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

For me there was one moment in which I think the 'real' Kavanaugh shone through, at the beginning of Graham's rant there's a truly genuine smile on his face, until he clamps down on it anyway, and it's the smile of a kid who's got his big brother to beat up a peer he doesn't like.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics