ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Christine Blasey Ford , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees , Trump controversies

Old 29th September 2018, 04:09 AM   #41
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
You're absolutely right - setting a time limit on the investigation is stupid, especially one as short as this. Unless, of course, the purpose is not to actually determine the truth of the accusations, but instead to do the bare minimum in order to give the appearance of having "done something" before voting to confirm anyway.
Well apparently, they have been on standby for this, and are already moving quickly

"The FBI moved immediately given the short time frame. By Friday night, agents had sought to schedule an interview with one of two other women who, after Blasey Ford went public, made accusations of their own about alleged assaults dating to Kavanaugh’s days in high school and at Yale University, according to two sources with knowledge of the investigation who asked to remain unidentified given the sensitivity of the matter."

"FBI investigators contacted the attorneys for the woman and asked to interview her “as early as tonight,” according to one of the sources. Her attorneys countered with a later time, but the interview could occur this weekend, the sources said."
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...928-story.html

In an interview on Brian Williams' "11th Hour" news show, Frank Figliuzzi (former FBI Assistant Director for Counter-intelligence) said

"...pagers have gone off, text messages are being sent, calls are being made, everybody has been on standby. If you're in the Baltimore Division that covers Georgetown Prep, if you're in the New Haven, Connecticut Division that covers Yale, if you're in California where some of the accusers and survivors are, you are in action tonight, getting your plan. They're going to divide this up by field office, and then they're going to divide it up by what I call "three buckets"; people, places and things. Who are the "people"? All of the accusers that are known currently, and some who may not yet be known (and) all of the witnesses. What are the "places"? Yale University, dorm rooms, the house in Maryland where this party may have occurred; does it still exist, has it been refurbished, is there a stairway, is there a bathroom across from a bedroom. Are there photographs and Georgetown Prep or at Yale that can put Kavanaugh next to people he says he doesn't even know; next to some of the accusers. who lived in the dorm? Those people are going to get a phone call from the FBI. The Potomac Safeway Supermarket where people may have worked and been spotted. They are going to pull records and pay record from there, and find dates and schedules if they exist. And what about the "things". The things include the polygraph exam that Dr. Ford already took. That should be pulled for quality, and see if it was done right and is credible."

For those with sufficient attention span, here is a video of the interview with he and Barbara McQuade (United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan).
http://www.msnbc.com/brian-williams/...87569?v=railb&

Looks like they will try to pack three weeks worth of investigation into seven days.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 04:22 AM   #42
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, apparently the timeline is that Flake was confronted, he and Coons used a phonebox to phone the FBI looking to talk to Wray, Wray wasn't available so they spoke instead to Rosenstein, they asked Rosenstein if an investigation could be done in a week, he said it could, then Flake asked for the investigation.
Old 29th September 2018, 04:23 AM   #43
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So you don't think it matters if Kavanaugh was lying today? Or in his previous confirmations which emails apparently contradicted his testimony?
Depends on the type of lie. If he sexually assaulted anyone, he's out.

If it turns out that one night in the dorms he had to ask his roommate whether or not he threw up in the trash can when he stumbled in, no.

And if it turns out that he meant the same thing that everyone else meant by "boof", I'll scratch my head and wonder what the heck he's thinking, but otherwise wouldn't care. (Afraid he would be called homophobic? I really don't know why you would make up a different meaning. There are, I suppose, local variation in slang. In my home town, a "hooter" was a slang term for fellatio. I've never heard that use anywhere else in the world.)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 04:56 AM   #44
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

If it turns out that one night in the dorms he had to ask his roommate whether or not he threw up in the trash can when he stumbled in, no.
What if he is shown to have consistently lied to the Senate about his heavy drinking?

What if he is shown to have consistently lied to the Senate about the misogynistic nature of the yearbook entries?

What if his calendar is shown to be a recent fabrication or to have been recently altered?

What if he is shown to have actually participated in getting girls drunk or drugged in order to get them gang raped, even if he didn't actually participate in the rapes?

Are you really comfortable with the idea of having a serial liar on SCOTUS?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 05:15 AM   #45
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

And if it turns out that he meant the same thing that everyone else meant by "boof", I'll scratch my head and wonder what the heck he's thinking, but otherwise wouldn't care. (Afraid he would be called homophobic? I really don't know why you would make up a different meaning. There are, I suppose, local variation in slang. In my home town, a "hooter" was a slang term for fellatio. I've never heard that use anywhere else in the world.)
Locally, "Boof" is short for "buffoon". "Well I was a real 'boof' last night, I fell up the stairs in front of everyone."
Old 29th September 2018, 05:15 AM   #46
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

The ABA has made its reservations clear on Kavanaugh:
first, because he is a partisan hack who puts his agenda above the law,
and secondly, because they want to be on record that they don't support someone for Supreme Court who has credible sexual assault accusations against them.

Kavanaugh lied to the Committee and was aggressively disrespectful at times. He has also acted extremely partisan in the hearing, which alone should be a Red Flag in someone who is supposed to be above partisan politics.

Hopefully, the FBI will turn up something that gives enough Republicans the spine to say no. If not, I have no doubt that by 2020 there will be enough Democratic Senators to impeach him.
Old 29th September 2018, 05:17 AM   #47
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
What if he is shown to have consistently lied to the Senate about his heavy drinking?

What if he is shown to have consistently lied to the Senate about the misogynistic nature of the yearbook entries?

What if his calendar is shown to be a recent fabrication or to have been recently altered?

What if he is shown to have actually participated in getting girls drunk or drugged in order to get them gang raped, even if he didn't actually participate in the rapes?

Are you really comfortable with the idea of having a serial liar on SCOTUS?
The senators'/Ken Starr's questions were worse than Brett Kavanaugh's/Bill Clinton's lies.*

A lot of those questions should never have been asked. It was just an exercise in character assassination and an attempted perjury trap. I wouldn't want to reward that.

If the lies in question were actually to cover up some serious crime, even one 35 years old, then I would have a problem with it. If he actually drugged women, even when 17, then he ought to be out, and he will be. If it turns out he was an immature brat who was a jerk toward women (things like the "Renate" stuff), then it proves the wisdom of not appointing 17 year olds to the Supreme Court.

*ETA: For skimmers, that's a reference to a previous post, which in turn referenced a comment made in 1999 by Bill Maher.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 29th September 2018 at 05:19 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 05:21 AM   #48
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The ABA has made its reservations clear on Kavanaugh:
first, because he is a partisan hack who puts his agenda above the law,
and secondly, because they want to be on record that they don't support someone for Supreme Court who has credible sexual assault accusations against them.

Kavanaugh lied to the Committee and was aggressively disrespectful at times. He has also acted extremely partisan in the hearing, which alone should be a Red Flag in someone who is supposed to be above partisan politics.

Hopefully, the FBI will turn up something that gives enough Republicans the spine to say no. If not, I have no doubt that by 2020 there will be enough Democratic Senators to impeach him.
100%.

I am really uncomfortable with the idea of putting a lying conspiracy theorist on SCOTUS. After his rant about blaming the stalling of his confirmation "revenge for the 2016 elections" and "the Clintons", how can he ever be trusted to make politically balanced decisions?
Old 29th September 2018, 05:30 AM   #49
smartcooky
Philosopher

It was just an exercise in character assassination and an attempted perjury trap..
And how do you avoid getting caught in a perjury trap? By telling the truth, that's how!!

If he had admitted to being a heavy drinker, perhaps even an alcohol abuser at school, but pointed to the fact that it did not affect his academic achievements or grades, and that was simply part of his teenage years, and that he has left those years and that behaviour behind, he would have garnered a lot of respect all around.

Instead, he chose to claim choir boy status, and became aggressive and belligerent with anyone who claimed it wasn't so. If what we saw is the way he behaves when stone cold sober, I fear to think what he would be like with a few beers under his belt.
Old 29th September 2018, 05:32 AM   #50
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

100%.

I am really uncomfortable with the idea of putting a lying conspiracy theorist on SCOTUS. After his rant about blaming the stalling of his confirmation "revenge for the 2016 elections" and "the Clintons", how can he ever be trusted to make politically balanced decisions?
I'm much more uncomfortable with what is undeniable - that he is 100% partisan. He is a Republican and he made that clear. The system sucks. When you start judgeships off at the lowest levels as elected officials, they develop partisan positions (or they don't get the party backing). By the time this particular Golem was ready to be foisted on the country, he'd been a Republican hack first and a judge second for several decades.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 05:34 AM   #51
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
that's hilarious.
Seconded.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 05:36 AM   #52
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I'm much more uncomfortable with what is undeniable - that he is 100% partisan. He is a Republican and he made that clear. The system sucks. When you start judgeships off at the lowest levels as elected officials, they develop partisan positions (or they don't get the party backing). By the time this particular Golem was ready to be foisted on the country, he'd been a Republican hack first and a judge second for several decades.
I'd say his particular brand of "lying conspiracy theorist" is actually just a manifestation of his partisan hackery.
Old 29th September 2018, 05:39 AM   #53
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Two right wing white turds defecated by the same privileged private high school. Amazing.
It's not just a British phaenomenon then (Johnson and Rees-Mogg, both Eton boys). It doesn't amaze anyone here, though. It's all too familiar.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 05:39 AM   #54
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Lol. Even 9/11 conspiracy theorists weren't this gullible. This place truly has been reduced to the dregs.
Old 29th September 2018, 05:46 AM   #55
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Lol. Even 9/11 conspiracy theorists weren't this gullible. This place truly has been reduced to the dregs.
Why do you hate America? I like to believe it can still drag itself up from the dregs.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 05:55 AM   #56
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I know. There are people here who actually believe that disgusting sick **** judge.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 06:12 AM   #57
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like they will try to pack three weeks worth of investigation into seven days.
The FBI is not a good enemy to make, and Trump has delberately done that.

Old 29th September 2018, 06:14 AM   #58
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Liz Swisher, a Yale classmate of Kavanaugh, said on Cuomo tonight that K was lying about the extent of his drinking. She said he was a "sloppy drunk". She also said the 'Ralph Club' had nothing to do with a sensitive stomach...it was about vomiting from excess alcohol. Switzer said he committed perjury and that disqualifies him from the SC.
Jeez, all this makes me reflect back on my teen years. Thank god I'm not in that type of position where my past could possibly taint something in my current life. The late 80s for me were a blur. Although nothing criminally violent, my partying was on epic proportions in comparison.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 06:18 AM   #59
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by River View Post
Jeez, all this makes me reflect back on my teen years. Thank god I'm not in that type of position where my past could possibly taint something in my current life. The late 80s for me were a blur. Although nothing criminally violent, my partying was on epic proportions in comparison.
And if you stand accused of sexually assaulting people during that blur, yet your response is to walk it back and say your parties weren't all that epic and you remember everything with perfect clarity so it could never have happened, I would say you are not qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice either.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 29th September 2018 at 06:19 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 06:22 AM   #60
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
And if you stand accused of sexually assaulting people during that blur, yet your response is to walk it back and say your parties weren't all that epic and you remember everything with perfect clarity so it could never have happened, I would say you are not qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice either.

I have enough haters that would come forward and show up with documentation. Plus at this point in my life I could give zero *****. No need or purpose for me to lie about anything from my past.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 06:23 AM   #61
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

If it's not a question of legality, it's a question of character; not about what he did in Highschool, but how he now sees his behavior back then :
Kavanaugh should have owned up to the fact that he once was a spoiled frat-boy who drank too much and didn't respect women.
The fact that he doesn't shows that a) he is a bad judge of his own character and b) that he has an antiquated view about proper behavior
In other words: not Supreme Court material.
Old 29th September 2018, 06:26 AM   #62
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Yup. This is the left's "Pizzagate."

Digging through high school yearbooks and college records looking for secret code words for sexual assault, rape etc.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 06:30 AM   #63
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

If it's not a question of legality, it's a question of character; not about what he did in Highschool, but how he now sees his behavior back then :
Kavanaugh should have owned up to the fact that he once was a spoiled frat-boy who drank too much and didn't respect women.
The fact that he doesn't shows that a) he is a bad judge of his own character and b) that he has an antiquated view about proper behavior
There's also the disrespect for the court he displayed in his testimony. He didn't act like the judge he was interviewing to be, he acted like the politician people suspected he was. He was not truthful, he was evasive, he was combative. He was a hostile witness when he should have been proving himself to be above that.

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post

Digging through high school yearbooks and college records looking for secret code words for sexual assault, rape etc.
You're comparing sexual assault allegations against a supreme court nominee to a conspiracy theory on Twitter.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 29th September 2018 at 06:32 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 06:31 AM   #64
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

what is "boofed" a secret code for?
Old 29th September 2018, 06:32 AM   #65
River
Illuminator

Here is my assessment of the whole thing. Do I think he was being completely honest? Most likely not. Do I think he assaulted that woman? Most likely not.

These allegations are so loose, no prosecutor would touch it. I understand there is a different set of standards in a job interview and in a criminal court.

Boofing is definitely not farting from my experience with slang.

I think Mrs Ford has had a traumatic experience. I think this could've been handled in such a way that she never had to go public. I don't think that was even considered by Democrats, because it would not have the same impact. (on their plan) In the mean time, Ford and Kavanaugh get publicly ridiculed and forever now will be a stain on them both. Also, both will likely need security for a while. Because? IMHO because democrats chose to make this a spectacle. Not a search for truth.

No truth can be found. That is the truth. It's all he said she said at this point.

Old 29th September 2018, 06:32 AM   #66
Belz...
Fiend God

It was just an exercise in character assassination and an attempted perjury trap.
So you do believe that the accusations are unfounded, despite what you otherwise claim. And what's a perjury trap? How can you fall into the trap without lying?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 06:33 AM   #67
River
Illuminator

what is "boofed" a secret code for?
Butt *******.

Old 29th September 2018, 06:33 AM   #68
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

Here is my assessment of the whole thing. Do I think he was being completely honest? Most likely not. Do I think he assaulted that woman? Most likely not.

These allegations are so loose, no prosecutor would touch it. I understand there is a different set of standards in a job interview and in a criminal court.

Boofing is definitely not farting from my experience with slang.

I think Mrs Ford has had a traumatic experience. I think this could've been handled in such a way that she never had to go public. I don't think that was even considered by Democrats, because it would not have the same impact. (on their plan) In the mean time, Ford and Kavanaugh get publicly ridiculed and forever now will be a stain on them both. Also, both will likely need security for a while. Because? IMHO because democrats chose to make this a spectacle. Not a search for truth.

No truth can be found. That is the truth. It's all he said she said at this point.
In your opinion, should he still be confirmed?
Old 29th September 2018, 06:34 AM   #69
Belz...
Fiend God

Lol. Even 9/11 conspiracy theorists weren't this gullible.
Are you seriously comparing people who think the sexual assault allegations are credible to those who think that holograms of planes were used to cover thermite demolition of the WTC in order to destroy sensitive documents, justify a war and give Silverstein a new contract?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 06:34 AM   #70
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

Butt *******.
tell it to Bogative.
Old 29th September 2018, 06:35 AM   #71
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah it's not like there are several actual people making accusations of sexual assault and rape, or anything. This is all based on a calendar, right?

Stop lying.

Old 29th September 2018, 06:36 AM   #72
River
Illuminator

In your opinion, should he still be confirmed?
No. But he will be anyhow. If not -- Trump will pick someone even more hard line.

Old 29th September 2018, 06:40 AM   #73
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

No. But he will be anyhow. If not -- Trump will pick someone even more hard line.
not possible.
Seriously.
Not possible.

But he might find someone less experienced.
Old 29th September 2018, 07:07 AM   #74
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

This message brought to you by someone who helped put a conspiracy theorist in the White House.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 07:11 AM   #75
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

You guys have really lost it. You’re as bad as we are are!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 07:30 AM   #76
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

After K's rant about the Dems being out to get him and it being revenge for Clinton, I don't think he could be balanced and fair with anything Dem supported.
Exactly, he seems incapable of not being partisan, seems to have no respect for 'stare decisis' and is incapable of changing his mind.
Old 29th September 2018, 07:33 AM   #77
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
that's hilarious.
Seconded
Old 29th September 2018, 07:34 AM   #78
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I guess the secret to holding hearings for the snowflake crowd is to come up and have two protesters scream at you.
Old 29th September 2018, 07:39 AM   #79
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry this took so long to reply to this, it took me a while to dig out the records.

In the mid 2000s we did some extensive remodelling of our house.
In Nelson, when the council grants a building consent, you have 12 months to begin the works.

We tried to have each stage completed by Christmas of each year.

BC application: 16 July 2003

BC granted: 12 October 2003

Kitchen remodelling Commenced: mid-June 2004 (first invoice from contractor dated 26 June) - completed December 2004.

Bathroom refit commenced: July 2005 (I recall we delayed this so that this would take place over the early summer - completed early December 2005

Master Bedroom (second storey) refit commenced: June 2006 (included the installation of a ranch-slider that required additional strengthening. Additionally the next stage was a deck which the builder decided that he wanted to build first so that access to the outside of the second storey walls around where the ranch slider was to be installed would be easier. This required the erection of scaffolding. We had to wait over 10 weeks just to get the scaffolding done because we had not planned on needing it).

The work was stopped for a month over the Christmas period. The Master Bedroom refit and the building of the deck was completed mid-March 2007.

Electrical Code of Compliance Cert issued: April 2007
Final building inspection carried out June 2007
Final building Code of Compliance Certificate issued: August 2007

So it took us four years & one month from the granting of a building consent to the completion of the work. I am told that is very quick for the amount of work we had done. It would have been quicker if we have known about the scaffolding.
Is this Nelson BC?
Old 29th September 2018, 07:43 AM   #80
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

After K's rant about the Dems being out to get him and it being revenge for Clinton, I don't think he could be balanced and fair with anything Dem supported.
Yeah the mask slipped with that paranoid little gem.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics