ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Christine Blasey Ford , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees , Trump controversies

Old 29th September 2018, 07:47 AM   #81
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Yeah the mask slipped with that paranoid little gem.
I'm not sure it was genuinely paranoid, but rather basic dishonest rightwing messaging, at this point.
Old 29th September 2018, 07:53 AM   #82
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm not sure it was genuinely paranoid, but rather basic dishonest rightwing messaging, at this point.
exactly.
He was channeling Trump 1:1.
I think all his outrage was fake, an attempt to use Trump tactics to avoid having to admit to anything.
Old 29th September 2018, 07:57 AM   #83
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
exactly.
He was channeling Trump 1:1.
I think all his outrage was fake, an attempt to use Trump tactics to avoid having to admit to anything.
Yes. Stonewall, get indignant. Play the victim and then they will give you slack.
Old 29th September 2018, 08:05 AM   #84
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I guess the secret to holding hearings for the snowflake crowd is to come up and have two protesters scream at you.
For anybody interested, this is what The Big Dog is describing as "screaming":

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

And he feels fit to call other people "snowflakes".

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 29th September 2018 at 08:08 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 08:08 AM   #85
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Locally, "Boof" is short for "buffoon". "Well I was a real 'boof' last night, I fell up the stairs in front of everyone."
It means something different here, and it doesn't mean what Kav claimed.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/2...-yearbook-boof
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 08:15 AM   #86
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
tell it to Bogative.
This admitting Kavanaugh lied under oath. He's not qualified to be a judge but he's willing to lie for partisan gains so the GOP will ignore it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 08:17 AM   #87
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'd say his particular brand of "lying conspiracy theorist" is actually just a manifestation of his partisan hackery.
*Looks at the president*

Maybe that's just what the GOP is composed of now?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 08:23 AM   #88
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by River View Post
Here is my assessment of the whole thing. Do I think he was being completely honest? Most likely not. Do I think he assaulted that woman? Most likely not.
Based on what? In a he said/she said, why do you find him more credible? We have some alleged corroborating evidence in the form of sexual assaults claimed by two other women, other peers acknowledging that he did a bit of binge drinking back in the day, yearbook memberships and entries suggesting disturbing misogynistic attitudes, e.g., "t & c" at Yale.

Is there a similar weight of evidence suggesting that each of his three accusers are the type of people who would fabricate harrowing stories of sexual assault to ruin the careers of people they don't like? Any academy awards won by these women? Any George Soros DNA on the piles of money they've packed into their suitcases?

I think Mrs Ford has had a traumatic experience.
Pro tip: If you've got another thread in which you're claiming to be a purist regarding how feminism should or should not be advanced, it's a good idea to recognize the achievements of women and be sure to use any honorifics they might have earned. Thousands of women in STEM – including Dr. Ford – will appreciate this little gesture on your part that is so often denied them relative to their male counterparts.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 08:33 AM   #89
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
You're comparing sexual assault allegations against a supreme court nominee to a conspiracy theory on Twitter.
The main difference being Pizzagate occurred on twitter and infowars, this is occurring on Capitol Hill and throughout the MSM.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 08:37 AM   #90
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1046048001532329985

Quote:
Kavanaugh vs. Kavanaugh

“Renate Alumnius"?

Kav lawyer 09/24: “Judge Kavanaugh and Ms. Dolphin attended one high school event together and shared a brief kiss good night."

Kav 09/27: "That yearbook reference was clumsily intended to show affection, and that she was one of us."
Old 29th September 2018, 08:43 AM   #91
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And how do you avoid getting caught in a perjury trap? By telling the truth, that's how!!

If he had admitted to being a heavy drinker, perhaps even an alcohol abuser at school, but pointed to the fact that it did not affect his academic achievements or grades, and that was simply part of his teenage years, and that he has left those years and that behaviour behind, he would have garnered a lot of respect all around.

Instead, he chose to claim choir boy status, and became aggressive and belligerent with anyone who claimed it wasn't so. If what we saw is the way he behaves when stone cold sober, I fear to think what he would be like with a few beers under his belt.
YES!

The Republicans defending him in this thread don't get it. The rest of us are going to hate whoever the Republicans will nominate, but not like this. I expect the next Justice to have a right wing ideology. That's going to be a given. But he doesn't have to be a party boot licker.

Kavanaugh is like Bork was in that he's a team player. Instead of having principles like Richardson and Ruckleshaus, Bork, the partisan hack fired Cox. The aftermath of course was the partisan Bork was nominated by Reagan, but the Senate did not approve.

Every indication Kavanaugh has given is that he will do Trump's bidding instead of following the law.
Old 29th September 2018, 09:01 AM   #92
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I think incidents like this are when we find out who the actual skeptics and critical thinkers are. And it's not looking good.
Old 29th September 2018, 09:07 AM   #93
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The dishonesty of our resident right wingers is almost as disgusting to see as the dishonesty of their elected officials in the senate. There is literally nothing they would not do to try to gaslight everyone else. I don't even understand why any rational person is still engaging these specimen.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:10 AM   #94
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
The dishonesty of our resident right wingers is almost as disgusting to see as the dishonesty of their elected officials in the senate. There is literally nothing they would not do to try to gaslight everyone else. I don't even understand why any rational person is still engaging these specimen.
In other words, they're behaving just as you expected them to. Imagine that.
Old 29th September 2018, 09:10 AM   #95
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I think incidents like this are when we find out who the actual skeptics and critical thinkers are. And it's not looking good.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inconceivable!

I doubt you understand what either is. And out of curiosity, what and who should we be skeptical of? The very believable story of Dr Ford, or the belligerent stonewalling nominee who lied before the Senate?

Hmmmm.
Old 29th September 2018, 09:13 AM   #96
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The main difference being Pizzagate occurred on twitter and infowars, this is occurring on Capitol Hill and throughout the MSM.
Do you believe that Kavanaugh was completely honest in his testimony Thursday?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:21 AM   #97
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I'm actually starting to get why the Trumpists are so ******* desperate to push Kav through that they are willing to lie and distort and generally act like entitled pricks:

This is what it was all about. This was the promised SCOTUS advantage that made them into what they are today, that made them dismiss all values and ethics that they previously held sacred. Without this, they will have destroyed the credibility of the GOP and any perceived moral high ground for no benefit.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:26 AM   #98
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I doubt you understand what either is. And out of curiosity, what and who should we be skeptical of? The very believable story of Dr Ford, or the belligerent stonewalling nominee who lied before the Senate?
You've failed horribly already, including your proposal of this silly false dilemma.
Old 29th September 2018, 09:35 AM   #99
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

You've failed horribly already, including your proposal of this silly false dilemma.
I believe PJ and Leland.

Interesting that our correspondents are claiming that people are trying to push it through, when Trump yesterday asked the FBI to get involved.
Old 29th September 2018, 09:48 AM   #100
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

How did I fail?

That was my impression of the testimonies.

Now it doesn't prove that Kavanaugh did this. But that also wasn't a criminal courtroom either. We're not locking him up with Bill Cosby.

The standard isn't beyond a reasonable doubt or even a preponderance of doubt. The issue from my perspective is Kavanaugh beyond reproach? As I think a Supreme Court Justice should be.

I DON'T believe someone seeking a lifetime appointment to a position that requires total honesty and impartiality should be given the benefit of doubt. The FBI should climb up his ass and be able to tell us what he had for breakfast. If there are too many questions, then I believe we are obligated to look at someone else.
Old 29th September 2018, 09:54 AM   #101
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Way back when th Terry Schiavo case was being considered by SCOTUS, I was at dinner with several friends. Most of them were far more liberal than me and were lamenting what would come when the Scalia court got its mitts on the case. The mood was grim.

But one of our numbers was a Republican. He simply stated calmly “don’t worry, these people are judges first, Republicans a distant second, they won’t rule against what the law says just because the White House and Congress GOP are in a frenzy”.

He was right. The Schiavo Case was rejected. The Scalia court looked at it and flatly said “No.”

Yesterday, I reminded my wise Republican friend about that conversation and asked if he felt that Kavanaugh would remember that he was a judge first and a Republican second.

His answer was “after his crying, whiny partisan speech yesterday? No.”

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:59 AM   #102
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Also, both will likely need security for a while. Because? IMHO because democrats chose to make this a spectacle.
Dr Ford will need security, but it's the Democrats' fault?

That sounds, er, counter-intuitive.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:08 AM   #103
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Yup. This is the left's "Pizzagate."

Digging through high school yearbooks and college records looking for secret code words for sexual assault, rape etc.
No, no. Just listening to someone say on oath what happened to them, and who the perpetrator was. Surely you haven't forgotten that already?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:10 AM   #104
Bob001
Philosopher

I believe PJ and Leland.

Interesting that our correspondents are claiming that people are trying to push it through, when Trump yesterday asked the FBI to get involved.
Trump didn't have much of a choice at this point. He refused as long as he could.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:13 AM   #105
Belz...
Fiend God

I guess the secret to holding hearings for the snowflake crowd is to come up and have two protesters scream at you.
Translation: "who cares if he sexually assaulted people? Liberals screamed at him, that's the real outrage!"

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:13 AM   #106
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Based on what? In a he said/she said, why do you find him more credible? We have some alleged corroborating evidence in the form of sexual assaults claimed by two other women, other peers acknowledging that he did a bit of binge drinking back in the day, yearbook memberships and entries suggesting disturbing misogynistic attitudes, e.g., "t & c" at Yale.

Is there a similar weight of evidence suggesting that each of his three accusers are the type of people who would fabricate harrowing stories of sexual assault to ruin the careers of people they don't like? Any academy awards won by these women? Any George Soros DNA on the piles of money they've packed into their suitcases?

Pro tip: If you've got another thread in which you're claiming to be a purist regarding how feminism should or should not be advanced, it's a good idea to recognize the achievements of women and be sure to use any honorifics they might have earned. Thousands of women in STEM – including Dr. Ford – will appreciate this little gesture on your part that is so often denied them relative to their male counterparts.
My bold. Based on witnesses that testified or gave statements. One of them being a "friend" of Fords that she alleged to be there.

You are correct I was mistaken with the label of Mrs.

I don't think he should be confirmed, but not because of the baseless allegations. Instead based on he gave testimony that seemed false.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY

Last edited by River; 29th September 2018 at 10:14 AM.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:13 AM   #107
Bob001
Philosopher

Some observers note that Ford has taken and passed a polygraph and Kav has refused to take one, even though it is a standard tool for federal law enforcement which he has supported in the past.
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...rs-in-the-past
Old 29th September 2018, 10:15 AM   #108
Belz...
Fiend God

I must've missed the testimonies for pizzagate...

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:17 AM   #109
Belz...
Fiend God

Skeptics look at the evidence and try to investigate claims. Now, which 'side' is doing this?

Old 29th September 2018, 10:18 AM   #110
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Dr Ford will need security, but it's the Democrats' fault?

That sounds, er, counter-intuitive.
Absolutely. This spectacle didn't need to happen, unless of course the point was to drag people through the mud publicly. There were offers made to interview Ford privately, even at her location. This was a public spectacle, purely because it served democrats agenda. Not to protect possible vitcims, or against salacious allegations with no evidence. This happened how it did, with pure intent.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:19 AM   #111
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Some observers note that Ford has taken and passed a polygraph and Kav has refused to take one, even though it is a standard tool for federal law enforcement which he has supported in the past.
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...rs-in-the-past
I don't think it means anything. All pretenses have been dropped by now. It's utterly clear that for most Goopers and all Trumpists, whether or not Kav sexually assaulted Ford is unimportant. He may have raped her and hundreds of other women, and they would still want him pushed through to SCOTUS.

We already know that Kav lied numerous times during his testimony. We also know that he demonstrated that he would be a partisan hack in office, completely incapable and unwilling to function as a neutral arbiter of the law. By every rational standard, Kav is unfit for SCOTUS. Despite this, this is what the Trumpists where promised. The partisan majority in SCOTUS is worth anything and everything. It would cement a victory in the culture wars for a generation to come, and winning is more important than anything else.

Old 29th September 2018, 10:21 AM   #112
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Interesting that you would try to use a case where Trump's hand was forced and a very, very short timeline for an investigation was set as an attempt to counter the point that the Republicans are trying to push it through.
Old 29th September 2018, 10:22 AM   #113
Matthew Best
Philosopher

This was a public spectacle, purely because it served democrats agenda. Not to protect possible vitcims, or against salacious allegations with no evidence. This happened how it did, with pure intent.
I'm not American, and don't manage to follow these things as closely as those who are in the country seem to be able to do, but I was under the impression that the Republicans were in charge. How did the Democrats manage to force them to have a public spectacle if they didn't want to?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:24 AM   #114
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

This was a public spectacle, purely because it served democrats agenda. Not to protect possible vitcims, or against salacious allegations with no evidence. This happened how it did, with pure intent.
if it stops Kavanaugh, it will protect women in the future.
Old 29th September 2018, 10:28 AM   #115
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely. This spectacle didn't need to happen, unless of course the point was to drag people through the mud publicly. There were offers made to interview Ford privately, even at her location. This was a public spectacle, purely because it served democrats agenda. Not to protect possible vitcims, or against salacious allegations with no evidence. This happened how it did, with pure intent.
Wrong. If the President and the Republican Senate had vetted Kavanaugh properly, these issues would have been uncovered earlier and we would have moved on to another candidate. No need for security. You're blaming the Democrats for doing their jobs. You don't like that Kavanaugh is being shown to be a d-bag.
Old 29th September 2018, 10:32 AM   #116
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
So good to see how Trump has smashed away all the elites.
Old 29th September 2018, 10:34 AM   #117
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Wrong. If the President and the Republican Senate had vetted Kavanaugh properly, these issues would have been uncovered earlier and we would have moved on to another candidate. No need for security. You're blaming the Democrats for doing their jobs. You don't like that Kavanaugh is being shown to be a d-bag.
Disagree. I have nothing invested in Kavanaugh. Don't care if he's shown to be a D bag.

Old 29th September 2018, 10:39 AM   #118
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Members of Trump’s transition team - including the guy he tapped for National Security Adviser - pushed Pizzagate.

Trump is a fan of the founder of Infowars and his White House has legitimized them as a media outlet.

But please, continue with your nonsensical rant about how liberals are the real conspiracy theorists.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:39 AM   #119
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Disagree. I have nothing invested in Kavanaugh. Don't care if he's shown to be a D bag.
Maybe that is the problem?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:55 AM   #120
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Members of Trump’s transition team - including the guy he tapped for National Security Adviser - pushed Pizzagate.

Trump is a fan of the founder of Infowars and his White House has legitimized them as a media outlet.

But please, continue with your nonsensical rant about how liberals are the real conspiracy theorists.
Do you wonder if these conspiracy theory pushers really believe these
stories?

Lindsey Graham seems to think that the majority is somehow being overrun
and he will be back to get vengeance.

Kavanaugh thinks his family is being hurt by the Democrats and the Clintons
not his behavior.

Their emotional outbursts would be disqualifying if the shoe were on the
other foot.

LOL, I wonder if my conspiracy theory is Republicans don't believe their
own conspiracies, but use them because they think it will work with the base.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics