ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Christine Blasey Ford , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees , Trump controversies

Old 29th September 2018, 01:33 PM   #161
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
And you would still want him confirmed to the Supreme Court? Is he really the best judge conservatives can find? Or just the hack Trump needs?
Clearly you are mentally superior, and pay attention better than most. I'm defeated. You win.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 01:36 PM   #162
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Locally, "Boof" is short for "buffoon". "Well I was a real 'boof' last night, I fell up the stairs in front of everyone."
Back in the 80's at my high school it was short for bouffant - generally to make fun of a guy with a puffy feathered hairdo.
Old 29th September 2018, 01:37 PM   #163
jond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Er, surely, judges should take oaths seriously? Surely?

I think he probably committed perjury and I definitely believe this is reason to reject him. But an even easier reason is this: his performance was dramatically partisan, in a manner which would sully the Court's presumption of fairness. Let the bastard go, far as I'm concerned. He might have been playing to Trump, but no matter. That's a line that no SJ nominee should cross.
In addition, just as Trump did in his press conference the night before, he regularly and repeatedly jumped into a rant without allowing the questioner to finish their question. Exactly the behavior a fair and impartial judge should avoid. He will be a horrible justice regardless of whether the accusations have merit.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 01:38 PM   #164
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I heard it mentioned on the telly that "boofing" means to ingest alcohol/drugs anally. In the context of an early '80s yearbook entry, this certainly seems to me to be more likely than a reference to butt secks.
I love the GOP expect us to believe that a man that can't interpret the original intent of his yearbook will be able to practice an "original intent" interpretation of the constitution while SCOTUS.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 01:40 PM   #165
River
Illuminator

I heard it mentioned on the telly that "boofing" means to ingest alcohol/drugs anally. In the context of an early '80s yearbook entry, this certainly seems to me to be more likely than a reference to butt secks.

This appears to be correct. I was mistaking boofoo for boofed.
I'm not up on my boof terms.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...term=boo%20foo

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 01:49 PM   #166
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Way back when th Terry Schiavo case was being considered by SCOTUS, I was at dinner with several friends. Most of them were far more liberal than me and were lamenting what would come when the Scalia court got its mitts on the case. The mood was grim.

But one of our numbers was a Republican. He simply stated calmly dont worry, these people are judges first, Republicans a distant second, they wont rule against what the law says just because the White House and Congress GOP are in a frenzy.

He was right. The Schiavo Case was rejected. The Scalia court looked at it and flatly said No.

Yesterday, I reminded my wise Republican friend about that conversation and asked if he felt that Kavanaugh would remember that he was a judge first and a Republican second.

His answer was after his crying, whiny partisan speech yesterday? No.
I'm with your friend on that. Kavanaugh has been built from Law Scool graduation up to be a partisan tool, and one purposefully suited to reinforce presidential power.

His speech only serves to reinforce that purpose.
Old 29th September 2018, 01:57 PM   #167
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The main difference being Pizzagate occurred on twitter and infowars, this is occurring on Capitol Hill and throughout the MSM.
No, the main difference being Pizzagate had completely imagined "victims" and events, and here we have a real alleged victim giving testimony. Nice try to diminish a real concern by mislabeling it and your opponents, though! A debate classic!
Old 29th September 2018, 02:01 PM   #168
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
The partisan majority in SCOTUS is worth anything and everything. It would cement a victory in the culture wars for a generation to come, and winning is more important than anything else.
Internally I've experimented with a "grand bargain" scenario in which Kavanaugh is confirmed, but the GOP loses both the Senate and the House.

My brother just came over and we accidentally started talking about politics. He's a Trump supporter and said, "Don't get me started." What interested me is there was no heat, no anger with each other. Everything he said Dems do, I agreed, and said, "Both sides do it." (He probably doesn't study purportedly skeptic websites, or he would know I was introducing a fallacy .) He said it was wrong for the GOP to hold up any appointee of Obama's for over a year, but only when I pointed that out; it's not something he paid attention to at the time. He understood exactly the Catch-22 Kavanaugh was facing about admitting to alcoholic blackouts. No one, except maybe Trump, thought higher of Kavanaugh for his answer to the question about whether he had ever experienced a blackout.

I'm willing to believe Kavanaugh is actually a pretty nice guy as long as he's not drinking. I might even agree with some of his legal thinking. What I will find extremely distressing is if the GOP holds on to both the House and Senate.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:15 PM   #169
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I am really uncomfortable with the idea of putting a lying conspiracy theorist on SCOTUS. After his rant about blaming the stalling of his confirmation "revenge for the 2016 elections" and "the Clintons", how can he ever be trusted to make politically balanced decisions?
IMO, If it was payback, it was over the way Republicans refused to consider Obama's nominee, then told the public that the Senate had never approved a nominee in a presidential election year. I saw Cruz get tripped up on that lie.

This is all probably a little too subtle for Trump's fans. They need to hear the word "Clinton" before deciding what to think. Something Trump would be well aware of.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:18 PM   #170
Minoosh
Philosopher

Yup. This is the left's "Pizzagate."

Digging through high school yearbooks and college records looking for secret code words for sexual assault, rape etc.
If you have questions about a nominee's behavior at age 17, why wouldn't you look at yearbooks?
Old 29th September 2018, 02:18 PM   #171
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

They did the calculations.

Fords claim is worthless at this point
The drunk girl at Yale’s claim is worthless
Avenatti is an idiot.

Sure, let’s let the FBI investigate what might have been a busy Saturday at ASU.

Confirm BK and listen to the lamentations of the women.
Old 29th September 2018, 02:19 PM   #172
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

And the fix is in:

Quote:
The White House is limiting the scope of the FBI’s investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, multiple people briefed on the matter told NBC News.

While the FBI will examine the allegations of Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez, the bureau has not been permitted to investigate the claims of Julie Swetnick, who has accused Kavanaugh of engaging in sexual misconduct at parties while he was a student at Georgetown Preparatory School in the 1980s, those people familiar with the investigation told NBC News. A White House official confirmed that Swetnick's claims will not be pursued as part of the reopened background investigation into Kavanaugh.

Instead of investigating Swetnick's claims, the White House counsel’s office has given the FBI a list of witnesses they are permitted to interview, according to several people who discussed the parameters on the condition of anonymity. They characterized the White House instructions as a significant constraint on the FBI investigation and caution that such a limited scope, while not unusual in normal circumstances, may make it difficult to pursue additional leads in a case in which a Supreme Court nominee has been accused of sexual assault.

The limited scope seems to be at odds with what some members of the Senate judiciary seemed to expect when they agreed to give the FBI as much as a week to investigate allegations against Kavanaugh, a federal judge who grew up in the Washington DC area and attended an elite all-boys high school before going on to Yale.

Sen. Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona, who led an 11th hour move in the Senate committee for an FBI inquiry, said he thought the bureau would decide how to carry it out. His Democratic colleague Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island said he expected the FBI probe to include "adequate staffing," support from the committee for "rapid immunity and subpoena decisions as needed, plus the ability to investigate claims of a "penchant for drunkenness and inappropriate treatment of women, particularly where specifically related to incidents under investigation."
Linky.

I wonder how Flake feels about his "gentleman's agreement". Now when nothing new turns up, the Republican line will be "we did the FBI investigation" and the Democrats will be saying it wasn't sufficient.
Old 29th September 2018, 02:19 PM   #173
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jond View Post
In addition, just as Trump did in his press conference the night before, he regularly and repeatedly jumped into a rant without allowing the questioner to finish their question. Exactly the behavior a fair and impartial judge should avoid. He will be a horrible justice regardless of whether the accusations have merit.
Not just a "questioner," but United States Senators with the power to vote for him or against him. I was truly astonished that Sen. Klobuchar didn't smack him down hard when he asked her how much she drinks. She could have said "Mr. (not Judge) Kavanaugh, you're the only person in this room accused of attempted rape." (Democrats are too damn nice!) Imagine how Kav treats witnesses and petitioners who have no power.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:21 PM   #174
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
They did the calculations.

Fords claim is worthless at this point
The drunk girl at Yales claim is worthless
Avenatti is an idiot.

Sure, lets let the FBI investigate what might have been a busy Saturday at ASU.

Confirm BK and listen to the lamentations of the women.
Do you believe that Kavanaugh was completely honest in his testimony Thursday?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:24 PM   #175
Paul2
Illuminator

4. Refused to answer question after question that required a simple yes or no answer.
Dr. Ford's unequivocal answers, compared to Kavanaugh's dissembling and refusals to answer, make her more qualified than Kavanaugh for SCOTUS, in that regard only.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:25 PM   #176
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
And the fix is in:

Linky.

I wonder how Flake feels about his "gentleman's agreement". Now when nothing new turns up, the Republican line will be "we did the FBI investigation" and the Democrats will be saying it wasn't sufficient.
Avenatti already refused to cooperate with the committee. I am certain that the dems are not dumb enough to stake their reputation on whoever avenatti was able to scrape off the bottom of a rock.
Old 29th September 2018, 02:26 PM   #177
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Are you seriously comparing people who think the sexual assault allegations are credible to those who think that holograms of planes were used to cover thermite demolition of the WTC in order to destroy sensitive documents, justify a war and give Silverstein a new contract?
Trump is a 9/11 truther.

I don't want to re-watch, but did Lindsey Graham say anything of substance in his rant besides blaming the Democrats for digging up high school yearbooks? All these apologies about Dems dragging Kavanaugh through the mud and what it was doing to his poor family. Republicans ran out their clock giving speeches on how icky that was.

Why didn't Democrats do this to Neil Gorsuch?
Old 29th September 2018, 02:27 PM   #178
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Dr. Ford's unequivocal answers, compared to Kavanaugh's dissembling and refusals to answer, make her more qualified than Kavanaugh for SCOTUS, in that regard only.
Where was it?
Uhhh
When was it?
Uhhh
Whose house was it?
Uhhh
Howd ya get there?
Uhhh
How did you get home?
Uhhh

So unequivocal. The only facts she was able to provide were the people there, and they all said she was full of ****.
Old 29th September 2018, 02:28 PM   #179
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
....Kavanaugh has been built from Law Scool graduation up to be a partisan tool, and one purposefully suited to reinforce presidential power.
Its funny how things that people post or say sometimes trigger a totally random, tangential thought.

What you have just said suddenly made me think of Frank Herbert's "Dune" and how the Bene-Gesserit (GOP) worked so hard over generations to bring to fruition, a plan to bring two bloodlines together at a specific time to produce a male heir, the kwitsatz hadderach (Kavanaugh) so that they could gain control of all of the Great Houses of the Empire, only to have their plan thwarted at the last moment when a member of their group, the Lady Jessica (Flake) did something completely unexpected and that they didn't predict.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:33 PM   #180
fagin
Philosopher

Avenatti already refused to cooperate with the committee. I am certain that the dems are not dumb enough to stake their reputation on whoever avenatti was able to scrape off the bottom of a rock.
Perhaps you'll be just as correct here as in your Avenatti thread.
Old 29th September 2018, 02:34 PM   #181
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Perhaps you'll be just as correct here as in your Avenatti thread.
Thanks, but let’s focus on Kavanaugh here.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 29th September 2018 at 02:36 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:39 PM   #182
Bob001
Philosopher

White House limits FBI investigation:
Quote:
WASHINGTON The White House is limiting the scope of the FBIs investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, multiple people briefed on the matter told NBC News.

While the FBI will examine the allegations of Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez, the bureau has not been permitted to investigate the claims of Julie Swetnick, who has accused Kavanaugh of engaging in sexual misconduct at parties while he was a student at Georgetown Preparatory School in the 1980s, those people familiar with the investigation told NBC News. A White House official confirmed that Swetnick's claims will not be pursued as part of the reopened background investigation into Kavanaugh.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...-brett-n915061

Seems like Kav and his supporters would want the FBI to talk to everybody, in the full expectation that lies would be exposed. If they are lies.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:42 PM   #183
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Trump nominating Garland is a stretch.
Got ahead of myself there. I meant that if there is a Democratic president in 2021, Garland would probably be a good pick.
Old 29th September 2018, 02:42 PM   #184
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
If you have questions about a nominee's behavior at age 17, why wouldn't you look at yearbooks?
Looking at year books is not the problem, calling the man a liar because one wants to believe a made-up word he used means something other than what he says it does.

Some words have different meanings to different people. One example I can think of is the word "uppity." A lot of people think it's a racist codeword, locally it means someone is too good to wear clothes purchased at Walmart.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:43 PM   #185
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
And you would still want him confirmed to the Supreme Court? Is he really the best judge conservatives can find? Or just the hack Trump needs?
*quietly points at various later posts by River that state that he does not support Kavanaugh's confirmation*
Old 29th September 2018, 02:44 PM   #186
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

It's vital that FBI investigations be subject to arbitrary, politically motivated limitations. If they aren't, the FBI might find actual evidence of actual crimes.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:51 PM   #187
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Looking at year books is not the problem, calling the man a liar because one wants to believe a made-up word he used means something other than what he says it does.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:55 PM   #188
smartcooky
Philosopher

Where was it?
Uhhh
When was it?
Uhhh
Whose house was it?
Uhhh
Howd ya get there?
Uhhh
How did you get home?
Uhhh
You have completely mischaracterized the whole thing.... but then that's all we come to expect from you; half-truths, misdirection, dodging and posts full of evidence-free BS - nothing new there. You're almost as good at it as Kavanaugh himself

Sen KAMALA HARRIS: All three of the women who have made sworn allegations against you have called for an independent FBI investigation in to the claims. Youve been asked during the course of this hearing by four different members by my count, at least eight times today, and also earlier this week on national television whether you would call for the White House to authorize an FBI investigation.

Each time you have declined to do so. Now you know, I know you do that the FBI is an agency of men and women who are sworn and trained law enforcement who in the course of conducting background investigations on nominees for the Supreme Court of the United States and others, are charged with conducting those background investigations because they are sworn law enforcement and they have the expertise and the ability and the history of doing that.

So Im going to ask you one last time, are you willing to ask the White House to authorize the FBI to investigate the claims that have been made against you?

KAVANAUGH: Ill do whatever the committee wants, of course

HARRIS: And Ive heard you say that

KAVANAUGH: The witness statements

HARRIS: But Ive not heard you answer a very specific question thats been asked, which is, are you willing to ask the White House to conduct an investigation by the FBI to get to whatever you believe is the bottom of the allegations that have been levied against you?

KAVANAUGH: The FBI would gather witness statements, you have witness statements

HARRIS: Sir, its I dont want to debate with you how they do their business, Im just asking are you willing to ask the White House to conduct such an investigation? Because as you are aware, the FBI did conduct a background investigation in to you, before we were aware of these most recent allegations. So are you willing to ask the White House to do it and say yes or no and then we can move on.

KAVANAUGH: Ive had six background investigations over 26 years

HARRIS: Sir, as it relates to the recent allegations are you willing to have them do it?

KAVANAUGH: The witness testimonies before you know a witness who was there, supports that I was there

HARRIS: OK, Im going to take that as a no...

Dodge, dodge, dodge. All he did when asked this question is dodge

So unequivocal. The only facts she was able to provide were the people there,and they all said she was full of ****.
And that is a flat out lie (another thing we have come to expect)

Saying that you don't recall something happening doesn't mean it didn't happen or that the person is full of ****. I don't recall the Berlin Wall coming down (I was on two-week a survival exercise in Wales at the time, so I didn't see any of the newscasts). That doesn't mean it didn't happen.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:55 PM   #189
Paul2
Illuminator

Where was it?
Uhhh
When was it?
Uhhh
Whose house was it?
Uhhh
Howd ya get there?
Uhhh
How did you get home?
Uhhh

So unequivocal. The only facts she was able to provide were the people there, and they all said she was full of ****.
She didn't say "uhhh" as an answer to those questions. She unequivocally stated that she didn't know. Do you know what "unequivocal" means?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:58 PM   #190
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Yup. This is the left's "Pizzagate."

Digging through high school yearbooks and college records looking for secret code words for sexual assault, rape etc.

What gave you the idea that slang terms in a yearbook are "secret code words"?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 02:59 PM   #191
Bob001
Philosopher

Some words have different meanings to different people. One example I can think of is the word "uppity." A lot of people think it's a racist codeword, locally it means someone is too good to wear clothes purchased at Walmart.
Yeah, sure. But in this particular case, Kav claimed it referred to flatulence. Would anyone ask anyone "Have you farted yet?" On a yearbook page? Why would you think it could mean anything other than the common slang at the time?
Old 29th September 2018, 03:01 PM   #192
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by River View Post
Here is my assessment of the whole thing. Do I think he was being completely honest? Most likely not. Do I think he assaulted that woman? Most likely not.

These allegations are so loose, no prosecutor would touch it. I understand there is a different set of standards in a job interview and in a criminal court.

Boofing is definitely not farting from my experience with slang.

I think Mrs Ford has had a traumatic experience. I think this could've been handled in such a way that she never had to go public. I don't think that was even considered by Democrats, because it would not have the same impact. (on their plan) In the mean time, Ford and Kavanaugh get publicly ridiculed and forever now will be a stain on them both. Also, both will likely need security for a while. Because? IMHO because democrats chose to make this a spectacle. Not a search for truth.

No truth can be found. That is the truth. It's all he said she said at this point.

It was all he said/she said.

Now it's all he said/she said ... plus his abysmal performance before the Judiciary Committee, which ought to be more than enough to prove him unfit for the position.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 03:01 PM   #193
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
This question is turning out to be a reliable method for shutting up Kavanaugh supporters. I'm practically deplatforming you guys.
Old 29th September 2018, 03:03 PM   #194
Minoosh
Philosopher

I was thinking of the Renate Alumnius. She didn't think it was a term of endearment, as Kavanaugh claims.
Old 29th September 2018, 03:03 PM   #195
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I guess the secret to holding hearings for the snowflake crowd is to come up and have two protesters scream at you.

Sexual assault victims are "snowflakes" now?

Don't you think you're kind of overworking that particular slur a bit?
Old 29th September 2018, 03:04 PM   #196
Bob001
Philosopher

Got ahead of myself there. I meant that if there is a Democratic president in 2021, Garland would probably be a good pick.
He would be too old.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland

A Democratic president and a Democratic Senate should appoint a 35-year-old Korean woman just to see the right howl.
Old 29th September 2018, 03:06 PM   #197
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

God's Loophole.

https://youtu.be/7pzs0aGu1fU
Old 29th September 2018, 03:09 PM   #198
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The Renate explanation deserves to be looked into, and witnesses who could testify to the extent of Kavanaugh's early drinking history. Not because it was so bad; just because it would offset his own minimizing testimony and speak to his veracity. If he did get blackout drunk - and he was extremely evasive and aggressive regarding this - it ups the chances that he doesn't remember some of his alcoholic behavior. I suppose his financial situation has been explained, but that might bear further looking into, including a timeline showing how he got into debt and out of it.

<snip>

Someone else upthread used similar terms to describe this portion of his testimony. "Evasive".

He wasn't evasive about that. It was an outright, categorical denial. One of the few points he didn't waffle about.

And since it is so obviously false, it is also pretty clearly perjurious.

I can remember when the Republicans used to be quite upset by that sort of thing.

It appears they've gotten over it.
Old 29th September 2018, 03:10 PM   #199
Stacko
Philosopher

I was thinking of the Renate Alumnius. She didn't think it was a term of endearment, as Kavanaugh claims.
Not to mention everyone who knew him at the time claiming he was closer to the Bart O'Kavanaugh character in behavior than the choir boy he pretended to be.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 03:10 PM   #200
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Really?

You think wanting an FBI investigation to look at both sides of these allegations, is not being skeptical?

You think that assessing the credibility of testimony, and the manner in which it is given, is not being skeptical?

I'll tell you what I am skeptical of; the whole of Kavanaugh's testimony. If you watched, you heard, just like the rest of us, when Kavanaugh....

1. Blamed the Clinton's for the position he finds himself.
2. Accused the Democrats of destroying his family and sullying his name.
3. Told bare faced, provable lies about the meanings of terms in his yearbook.
4. Refused to answer question after question that required a simple yes or no answer.

He was evasive, dishonest, belligerent, disingenuous and obnoxious and his behaviour was risible; all attributes that you do NOT want in a Supreme Court Judge (or any Judge on the bench for that matter). You don't have to be much of a skeptic to see this.

In no way is this man a suitable candidate for a seat on SCOTUS, even if the sexual assault allegations cannot be proved. The aforementioned behaviour ought to be sufficient to rule him out.
Sounds like evidence based statements to me.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics