ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Christine Blasey Ford , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 29th September 2018, 09:05 PM   #281
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post


We've done that in great detail, more than once in this thread, and by more folks than me.
Considering your history of denying why Omar Mateen shot up the Pulse nightclub, and the photo you choose to use as your avatar, I'll take a hard pass on what you believe is a lie and what is the truth.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:07 PM   #282
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,608
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Beclown?
You're offering commentary on something you didn't even watch. "Beclown" was absolutely the right word.

Quote:
That's funny coming from the person who thinks I can't be aware of conspiracies surrounding Kavanaugh's yearbook quotes without first watching his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Do tell. What "conspiracies" are there surrounding Kavanaugh's yearbook quotes. Please be specific and provide cites.

Last edited by johnny karate; 29th September 2018 at 09:09 PM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:08 PM   #283
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 69,547
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Considering your history of denying why Omar Mateen shot up the Pulse nightclub,
I have no clue what this means. You need a quote if you are going to make accusations about people.


Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
and the photo you choose to use as your avatar, I'll take a hard pass on what you believe is a lie and what is the truth.
I think it's pretty obvious I'm a Progressive Democrat and you are somewhere over there on the right. That is not an argument. You appear to be ignoring everyone who isn't in the alt-right fantasy version of the world.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:09 PM   #284
Elagabalus
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,125
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Bezos is a known liar and a womanizing cheat? This is the tactic of Trump and his supporters. NEVER stop throwing mud. It takes some serious huevos to support Trump and say that others are liars and/or womanizing cheats. Either that or he is just trolling.
I don't know if it's worth it. Check out the body of work.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:11 PM   #285
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)
 
Tsukasa Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NeverLand
Posts: 14,761
Latest from Trump:

Quote:
NBC News incorrectly reported (as usual) that I was limiting the FBI investigation of Judge Kavanaugh, and witnesses, only to certain people. Actually, I want them to interview whoever they deem appropriate, at their discretion. Please correct your reporting!
Linky.

Is this true? Is he just referring to what he is claiming to want, and not the FBI's actual instructions?
__________________
As cultural anthropologists have always said "human culture" = "human nature". You might as well put a fish on the moon to test how it "swims naturally" without the "influence of water". -Earthborn
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:13 PM   #286
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm not going to chase your nonsensical denials.
There's nothing to chase, the only thing I've posted in this thread in the last two weeks is about the left's conspiracy theories regarding what a teenager actually meant in his yearbook quotes.

You said "a lot", one example should be easy enough.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:14 PM   #287
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 69,547
Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Latest from Trump:



Linky.

Is this true? Is he just referring to what he is claiming to want, and not the FBI's actual instructions?
He caved under pressure, we need to keep it up.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 29th September 2018 at 09:16 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:15 PM   #288
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,749
A lengthy guide to Kav's dissembling:
Quote:
I want to show you, clearly and definitively, how Brett Kavanaugh has lied to you and lied to the Senate. I cannot prove that he committed sexual assault when he was 17, and I hesitate to draw conclusions about what happened for a few minutes in house in Maryland in the summer of 1982. But I can prove quite easily that Kavanaughís teary-eyed ďgood, innocent man indignant at being wrongfully accusedĒ schtick was a facade. What may have looked like a strong defense was in fact a very, very weak and implausible one.
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/...naugh-is-lying
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:24 PM   #289
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19,026
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I don't know if it's worth it. Check out the body of work.
It's not. Bezos doesn't run the Washington Post. He just owns it. I'm from Seattle and Amazon was my biggest customer for a decade. Bezos is one of the least public CEOs anywhere. I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about his social life. As for him being a liar, it's damn hard to find many public statements from Bezos about anything other than Amazon. So how one could say he is a liar is beyond me.
__________________
ď A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. Ē
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:29 PM   #290
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,608
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
There's nothing to chase, the only thing I've posted in this thread in the last two weeks is about the left's conspiracy theories regarding what a teenager actually meant in his yearbook quotes.

You said "a lot", one example should be easy enough.
Well, the existence of said "conspiracy theories" should be a good place to start.

Please tell us exactly what these conspiracies theories are. And as always, don't forget to provide cites.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:31 PM   #291
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
You're offering commentary on something you didn't even watch.
Nope, no I'm not. Not unless Michael Avenatti was at the hearing telling the committee what he thought FFFFFFFFourth of July really meant. I've read Kavanaugh's explanations for what they mean.



Quote:
Do tell. What "conspiracies" are there surrounding Kavanaugh's yearbook quotes. Please be specific and provide cites.
Already did. See prior links.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:36 PM   #292
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 18,312
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I mentioned earlier in the thread that this is exactly what many religious girls do. I know one ex-Mormon woman who told me that this was very common among the Mormon girls she knew. They'd do everything and anything except vaginal sex because they could remain technical virgins.
If Kavanaugh restrained himself to pelvis grinding and feeling up women (forced or not), he could still defiantly claim he was a virgin.

I thought the video was hilarious, by the way.
And, he would be right. Wouldn't he?

If not, I lost my virginity three years earlier than I've always thought I did.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:41 PM   #293
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,608
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Nope, no I'm not. Not unless Michael Avenatti was at the hearing telling the committee what he thought FFFFFFFFourth of July really meant. I've read Kavanaugh's explanations for what they mean.
How is that a conspiracy theory? What's the conspiracy being alleged?

Quote:
Already did. See prior links.
None of those links explain what the "conspiracy" is in the "conspiracy theory".

Please enlighten us.

Last edited by johnny karate; 29th September 2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:42 PM   #294
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 22,392
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I hope you're wrong and they can be unbiased.


Their being unbiased is exactly what scares Trump.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:43 PM   #295
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5,455
According to Bogative, we should take Kavanaugh's word on what words mean over everybody else who ever used said words.
It is a twisted conspiracy to take them the way they are used in general.
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isnít.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:48 PM   #296
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Well, the existence of said "conspiracy theories" should be a good place to start.

Please tell us exactly what these conspiracies theories are. And as always, don't forget to provide cites.
When anyone says the language he used in his yearbook quotes means something different than what he says they mean.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:50 PM   #297
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5,455
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
When anyone says the language he used in his yearbook quotes means something different than what he says they mean.
including his school mates?
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isnít.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:50 PM   #298
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,608
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
When anyone says the language he used in his yearbook quotes means something different than what he says they mean.
Again, how is that a conspiracy theory? What's the conspiracy?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:53 PM   #299
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,971
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Want us to make the same list with Trump University?
I'm calling poe on this one.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:57 PM   #300
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,971
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Again, how is that a conspiracy theory? What's the conspiracy?
A whiny entitled man-child didn't immediately get what he felt was owed to him because he's a bad person so a bizarre explanation is needed. Oh wait... that's not what you meant.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 09:57 PM   #301
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
According to Bogative, we should take Kavanaugh's word on what words mean over everybody else who ever used said words.
It is a twisted conspiracy to take them the way they are used in general.
Or maybe words have different meanings to different people.

Example

According to The Great Zaganza a major league baseball pitcher legally changed his name to a slang word that meant anal sex and his twisted mother gave him the same nickname for ***** and giggles.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:01 PM   #302
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 18,312
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'm going pick a random date... August 23, 1994

What were you doing on that day?

Where did you go?

How did you get there?

How did you get home?
I went to work at the Delphi building in Troy, Michigan,, just behind the Oakland Mall. I drove there is my car, a burgundy colored Saturn station wagon, license plate number AKR 859. Nothing remarkable happened. I had gotten back from vacation the day before, and was catching up on what had happened when I had been gone for nine days on vacation.

It was a Tuesday.


People were surprised to see me on Monday, because I had facial hair for the first time in my life. I didn't shave while on vacation, a tradition for that particular vacation, which I took every year, but this time I had gone for a longer period than I usually go, so my beard was fuller. I put the shaving cream on my face when I got home Sunday night, and was about to shave it off, when I decided to leave it and see how I liked it.


I don't remember anything specific that happened in the evening, but I probably stopped at Alcove Hobby Shop to buy cards for Magic: The Gathering. I had heard of this interesting new game that a lot of my friends were into, and just before leaving on vacation, I had purchased my first deck. I walked up to the counter at the store and the attendant said, "No Dark!". That was the first day of release of a new expansion set, but they were sold out. I didn't know it was the first day of release, and I said I just wanted regular cards, so I bought a starter pack. I instantly loved the game, and was eager to buy more cards when I got back from vacation, so I would definitely have bought cards on Monday, August 22, but probably on Tuesday, August 23, as well. I bought a couple of booster packs most days for the first couple of weeks, and experimented with different decks.

Oh, I can't pretend to specifically remember driving to work that day, or driving home. However I do know that I drove to and from work every day in my car, and I know what car it was, and I know that it was an ordinary work day where I was trying to catch up what I had missed while on vacation. I can tell you the names of some of the people I talked to that day, but only because they were the same people I talked to every day during that period of my career.

Now, let's pick another random date. Let's say, I don't know, September 11, 2001. Not random? Yeah, that's true. It isn't. Neither is the day that Ms. Ford (allegedly) was assaulted.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:02 PM   #303
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5,455
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Or maybe words have different meanings to different people.

Example

According to The Great Zaganza a major league baseball pitcher legally changed his name to a slang word that meant anal sex and his twisted mother gave him the same nickname for ***** and giggles.
and when that catches on you might have a point. If suddenly everyone drops the old meaning and picks the new one.
But why would anyone care what I call a pitcher?


At the time Kavanaugh was in school, people used "devil's triangle, ralphing and boofing" in a specific way.
And your claim seems to be that he, and he alone, used them differently. And it should be enough for us to take his word that for him they meant something more harmless.
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isnít.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:04 PM   #304
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 69,547
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
When anyone says the language he used in his yearbook quotes means something different than what he says they mean.
"Have you farted yet?"

Riiight.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:12 PM   #305
Elagabalus
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,125
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
...I don't remember anything specific that happened in the evening, but I probably stopped at Alcove Hobby Shop to buy cards for Magic: The Gathering. I had heard of this interesting new game that a lot of my friends were into, and just before leaving on vacation, I had purchased my first deck. I walked up to the counter at the store and the attendant said, "No Dark!". That was the first day of release of a new expansion set, but they were sold out. I didn't know it was the first day of release, and I said I just wanted regular cards, so I bought a starter pack. I instantly loved the game, and was eager to buy more cards when I got back from vacation, so I would definitely have bought cards on Monday, August 22, but probably on Tuesday, August 23, as well. I bought a couple of booster packs most days for the first couple of weeks, and experimented with different decks...
OK, STOP RIGHT THERE!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE



Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I went to work at the Delphi building in Troy, Michigan,, just behind the Oakland Mall. I drove there is my car, a burgundy colored Saturn station wagon, license plate number AKR 859. Nothing remarkable happened. I had gotten back from vacation the day before, and was catching up on what had happened when I had been gone for nine days on vacation.

It was a Tuesday.


People were surprised to see me on Monday, because I had facial hair for the first time in my life. I didn't shave while on vacation, a tradition for that particular vacation, which I took every year, but this time I had gone for a longer period than I usually go, so my beard was fuller. I put the shaving cream on my face when I got home Sunday night, and was about to shave it off, when I decided to leave it and see how I liked it...
Did you arrive to work hammered? How much do you think that you would remember?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:15 PM   #306
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,749
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
.....
Now, let's pick another random date. Let's say, I don't know, September 11, 2001. Not random? Yeah, that's true. It isn't. Neither is the day that Ms. Ford (allegedly) was assaulted.
I'm not quite sure what your point is here. On an uneventful day, all the details would have roughly equal weight. You would remember -- or forget -- them equally. On a day when something terrible happened -- like fearing you could be raped and "accidentally" killed -- that single event is very likely all you will remember, all that your mind will form memories of, because nothing else will matter. I doubt that the people who struggled down the stairs of the World Trade Center can tell you what they had for breakfast that morning or who else was in their subway car on the way to work. This just doesn't seem like a difficult concept.

Last edited by Bob001; 29th September 2018 at 10:17 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:15 PM   #307
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 18,312
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
A 1990 warning from DC area headmasters (incl Georgetown Prep and Holton-Arms) to parents about student parties:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.1182a1b5719e
This is just weird. A 1990 warning that said teenagers sometimes drank is somehow evidence that is to the question of whether or not Brett Kavanaugh committed sexual assault in 1982? That's just weird.


Quote:
My biggest question right now is how on earth did this d-bag pass his background checks in the first place? Does having a history of getting blackout drunk not count against an applicant?

It shouldn't.


I've talked about my heavy partying and my blackouts in high school and college. What that means is that I was drinking a couple of hundred times, drunk at least one hundred times, and experience memory loss of up to two hours on probably half a dozen occasions between the years 1978 and 1982. Is there any position at all in this world that that would disqualify me? I'm not qualified to sit on the Supreme Court, but I got a job that required a high level security clearance as an aerospace engineer, and based on the questions they asked my friends, I am 100% confident that they knew about my history of heavy drinking, which had pretty much stopped by 1984. (I got the clearance in 1987.)

Did they just not realize what a security risk I was, having blacked out from alcohol abuse as a college student five years earlier?
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:17 PM   #308
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5,455
Trauma and Memory has been studied in depth.
If you argue that Ford's memory should be better than it seems to be, that's an argument from ignorance.
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isnít.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:21 PM   #309
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster
 
Slings and Arrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
I would suggest FBI questions that might jog Dr. Fordís memory:

1) Did you alert Leland to the danger she faced before you left her at a party where 2 men had just tried to rape you?

2) Did you try to get her to leave?

3) Did you call her that night to see if she got home safely?

-- Tammy Bruce (Sept 29, 2018)

With friends like that...
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:21 PM   #310
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,749
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
This is just weird. A 1990 warning that said teenagers sometimes drank is somehow evidence that is to the question of whether or not Brett Kavanaugh committed sexual assault in 1982? That's just weird.
.....
The issue is whether Kav's memory is reliable when he says he never engaged in behavior like Ford describes. If he had a history of heavy drinking, let alone blackouts, his claims about his sterling behavior are less believable.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:22 PM   #311
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 18,312
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
OK, STOP RIGHT THERE!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE





Did you arrive to work hammered? How much do you think that you would remember?
No, I did not arrive to work hammered.

On the other hand, according to the reasoning on this thread, I have admitted to heavy drinking that included blackouts. Therefore, I cannot say with certainty that I did not arrive to work hammered, because maybe I was so drunk that I just can't remember showing up to work hammered.

One week before, on Tuesday, August 16, I got pretty drunk, but not to the point of blacking out. I was past that phase of my life by then.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:22 PM   #312
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5,455
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Did they just not realize what a security risk I was, having blacked out from alcohol abuse as a college student five years earlier?
It's not about what you did back than, but how much proof of your past misbehavior could influence your current work.

Kavanaugh has made himself vulnerable to blackmail by stating under oath that he did not do certain things in High School / College.
If anyone has proof that he did was his calendar and his accusers claim, they could use that to influence him as a Judge.
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isnít.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:29 PM   #313
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 18,312
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I'm not quite sure what your point is here. On an uneventful day, all the details would have roughly equal weight. You would remember -- or forget -- them equally. On a day when something terrible happened -- like fearing you could be raped and "accidentally" killed -- that single event is very likely all you will remember, all that your mind will form memories of, because nothing else will matter. I doubt that the people who struggled down the stairs of the World Trade Center can tell you what they had for breakfast that morning or who else was in their subway car on the way to work. This just doesn't seem like a difficult concept.
I'm confident that quite a few of them could tell you what they had for breakfast that morning.

I am even more confident that even more of them could tell you what they had for dinner.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:30 PM   #314
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 22,392
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Based solely on what you've seen/read so far, do you believe Kavanaugh was completely honest in his testimony Thursday?

Mostly. Nothing that would disqualify him from the position.

There was a time when the GOP considered perjury to be such an egregious offense that they impeached a sitting president for refusing to admit that he had been given a knob job by a consenting adult. Had they had the needed two thirds majority in the Senate they certainly would have gotten him removed from office.

Why do you think this attitude of theirs toward perjury has changed?

Do you believe Kavanaugh's clear and emphatic statements under oath that he never suffered any sort of memory impairment at all as a result of excessive alcohol consumption while in high school?

If you don't, why would this perjury not prove him unfit for the SCOTUS position?

What has changed?
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

Last edited by quadraginta; 29th September 2018 at 10:33 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:33 PM   #315
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 69,547
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
No, I did not arrive to work hammered.

On the other hand, according to the reasoning on this thread, I have admitted to heavy drinking that included blackouts. Therefore, I cannot say with certainty that I did not arrive to work hammered, because maybe I was so drunk that I just can't remember showing up to work hammered.

One week before, on Tuesday, August 16, I got pretty drunk, but not to the point of blacking out. I was past that phase of my life by then.
What is your point? You can remember X ergo Ford is lying if she says she doesn't?

That is absurd.

I had similar things happen as Ford did and my memory is very clear on the actual events and quite vague on details surrounding it. My anecdotes are much more relevant than yours.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 29th September 2018 at 10:34 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:38 PM   #316
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 22,392
Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Latest from Trump:

Quote:
NBC News incorrectly reported (as usual) that I was limiting the FBI investigation of Judge Kavanaugh, and witnesses, only to certain people. Actually, I want them to interview whoever they deem appropriate, at their discretion. Please correct your reporting!
Linky.

Is this true? Is he just referring to what he is claiming to want, and not the FBI's actual instructions?

It would certainly give the FBI a great deal of cover for interviewing whoever they wanted, since we have been told by the White House that Trump's tweets are official White House statements.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:40 PM   #317
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 18,312
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
and when that catches on you might have a point. If suddenly everyone drops the old meaning and picks the new one.
But why would anyone care what I call a pitcher?


At the time Kavanaugh was in school, people used "devil's triangle, ralphing and boofing" in a specific way.
And your claim seems to be that he, and he alone, used them differently. And it should be enough for us to take his word that for him they meant something more harmless.
Actually......I never heard the term "devil's triangle", to mean anything at all. On the other hand, we made up "house rules" to our drinking games, and made up phrases to go with them.

I must agree with "ralphing". I can't imagine it meaning anything other than vomiting, and it would rarely be used except in the context of vomiting due to heavy drinking. As for "boofing", I've only ever heard it used as one thing, but there are local slang variations. (See my earlier post about "hooter" meaning fellatio in my town.) The weird thing is that I don't get why Kavanaugh would lie about that. It appears he did, but I'm at a loss as to why he would.

He seemed sincere when he said it, but of course the idea that we could judge truth or falsehood based on the apparent sincerity of the speaker is laughable.

ETA: But the big mystery is why anyone thinks that the phrase "Have you boofed yet" constitutes evidence in a sexual assault investigation.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 29th September 2018 at 10:43 PM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:48 PM   #318
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Why do you think this attitude of theirs toward perjury has changed?
Perjury hasn't been proven.

Quote:
Do you believe Kavanaugh's clear and emphatic statements under oath that he never suffered any sort of memory impairment at all as a result of excessive alcohol consumption while in high school?
Did he deny having "any sort of memory impairment", I thought he just denied getting "blackout" drunk?
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:52 PM   #319
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5,455
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Perjury hasn't been proven.
you are evading the question.
If it can be shown that Kavanaugh lied in front of the Committee, would that disqualify him because of perjury?

Or is this a special case where it depends a lot on the topic, the severity, the number of false claims?
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isnít.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2018, 10:55 PM   #320
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 22,392
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Perjury hasn't been proven.


Did he deny having "any sort of memory impairment", I thought he just denied getting "blackout" drunk?

Maybe you should watch his testimony.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:47 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.