ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 30th September 2018, 03:44 AM   #41
RolandRat
Thinker

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Isn't this just window dressing to satisfy Wall Street and the drown-it-in-a-bathtub conservatives. It doesn't kick in until 2025. Does anybody believe it will last that long?
The article states:

"Despite the House vote, it is unlikely the Senate will take up the legislation."

Would I be right in assuming that means it's unlikely to actually get passed?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 05:25 AM   #42
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Kanye West says he can support Trump because West is not concerned about racism

He seemed concerned about racism during the crowning moment of his career - "George Bush doesn't care about black people".
Old 30th September 2018, 06:42 AM   #43
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Kanye West doesn't care about black people.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 08:05 AM   #44
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Kanye West doesn't care about black people.

FTFY.

In this, I suspect Mr. West is probably of an Equal Opportunity stance in his lack of concern.

I doubt he cares about anybody but himself.

This may explain his apparent kinship to Trump.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 08:08 AM   #45
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
FTFY.

In this, I suspect Mr. West is probably of an Equal Opportunity stance in his lack of concern.

I doubt he cares about anybody but himself.

This may explain his apparent kinship to Trump.
This is probably true. From what little of his music I've listened to, it seemed self referential. It seems a bit of a case of like seeks like.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 10:47 AM   #46
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

"Like many, I don’t watch Saturday Night Live (even though I past hosted it) - no longer funny, no talent or charm. It is just a political ad for the Dems. Word is that Kanye West, who put on a MAGA hat after the show (despite being told “no”), was great. He’s leading the charge!"

"So if African-American unemployment is now at the lowest number in history, median income the highest, and you then add all of the other things I have done, how do Democrats, who have done NOTHING for African-Americans but TALK, win the Black Vote? And it will only get better!"
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 12:09 PM   #47
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump doesn't watch anything that doesn't fawn all over him. He gets his highs from rallies and FOX News. We saw how he handles being poked fun at when Obama was roasted him at the WH Correspondents Dinner. He could barely contain his anger when Obama made fun of the birther nonsense.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 02:11 PM   #48
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

"Like many, I dont watch Saturday Night Live (even though I past hosted it) - no longer funny, no talent or charm. It is just a political ad for the Dems. Word is that Kanye West, who put on a MAGA hat after the show (despite being told no), was great. Hes leading the charge!"

"So if African-American unemployment is now at the lowest number in history, median income the highest, and you then add all of the other things I have done, how do Democrats, who have done NOTHING for African-Americans but TALK, win the Black Vote? And it will only get better!"
Sure, median income will naturally be highest today as long as there has been some tiny increment over time. But the raw number means squat if the *buying power* is actually the same or less. Just by way of illustration using numbers I'll pull out of my arse: Today's 40K salary could be effectively less than 1970's 15K wage.

I hate the selective use of statistics.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 02:17 PM   #49
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop
Trump Tweeted
Quote:
"Like many, I dont watch Saturday Night Live (even though I past hosted it) - no longer funny, no talent or charm. It is just a political ad for the Dems. Word is that Kanye West, who put on a MAGA hat after the show (despite being told no), was great. Hes leading the charge!"

Sure, median income will naturally be highest today as long as there has been some tiny increment over time. But the raw number means squat if the *buying power* is actually the same or less. Just by way of illustration using numbers I'll pull out of my arse: Today's 40K salary could be effectively less than 1970's 15K wage.

I hate the selective use of statistics.
That's true regarding buying power. In the 1970's a family could live well on $25,000 a year. Not so today.

Quote:
In 1970 the average income per year was $9,350.00 and by 1979 was $17,550.00. In 1970 a gallon of gas was 36 cents and by 1979 was 86 cents. In 1970 the average cost of new car was $3,900.00 and by 1979 was $5,770.00.
www.thepeoplehistory.com/1970s.html
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 02:19 PM   #50
Tero
Graduate Poster

Trump Tweeted

Not separating out blacks, the general message to low income voters was that Trump was going to give the jobs. Cappy jobs. Hillary offered community college and careers. They just wanted the crappy jobs.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 02:24 PM   #51
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweeted

Oh, I dunno...how about the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1965, desegregation, and regulations against racial bias in federal employment for starts?

What has Trump done for blacks besides keep them from renting his apartments?
Old 30th September 2018, 02:34 PM   #52
Tero
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, I dunno...how about the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1965, desegregation, and regulations against racial bias in federal employment for starts?

What has Trump done for blacks besides keep them from renting his apartments?
I think he grabbed one of the black Miss Teen America contestants. Isnt that enough?
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 02:38 PM   #53
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Trump becomes president, and suddenly black people everywhere are now getting jobs.

He's a magic man, I tell you. A magic man!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Such a great song.

Who knew that they were actually singing about Donald Trump all this time?
Old 30th September 2018, 03:22 PM   #54
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I think he grabbed one of the black Miss Teen America contestants. Isnt that enough?
And he did let "his" African-American attend his rally.
Old 30th September 2018, 04:46 PM   #55
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Not separating out blacks, the general message to low income voters was that Trump was going to give the jobs. Cappy jobs. Hillary offered community college and careers. They just wanted the crappy jobs.
Free community college, maybe, and still tens of thousands in student debt to hopefully get to a good career, where you'll have to compete with well-educated immigrants being brought in on H-1B visas for the purpose of bidding down wages with the STEM jobs.

I don't get the appeal of voting for Trump outside of the bigotry, anarchistic nihilism, and maybe this:
https://medium.com/@Chris_arnade/tru...s-1e364a4ed940
Quote:
"Frustrated with broken promises, they gave up on the knowable and went with the unknowable. They chose Trump, because he comes with a very high distribution. A high volatility. (He also signals in ugly ways, that he might just move them, and only them and their friends, higher with his stated policies).

As any trader will tell you, if you are stuck lower, you want volatility, uncertainty. No matter how it comes. Put another way. Your downside is flat, your upside isn’t. Break the system.

The elites loathe volatility. Because, the upside is limited, but the downside isn’t. In option language, they are in the money.

To put it in very non-geeky language: A two-tiered system has one set of people who want to keep the system, and another that doesn’t. Each one is voting for their own best interests.
...But what Hillary was offering the working class sucked.

Last edited by kellyb; 30th September 2018 at 05:23 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 05:03 PM   #56
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Free community college, maybe, and still tens of thousands in student debt to hopefully get to a good career, where you'll have to compete with well-educated immigrants being brought in on HB1 visas for the purpose of bidding down wages with the STEM jobs.
Riiight.

Fact Sheet The H-1B Visa Program:
Quote:
How do H-1B visas impact wages?

Despite suggestions to the contrary, the overwhelming evidence shows that H-1B workers do not drive down wages of native-born workers, with some studies showing a positive impact on wages overall.
Old 30th September 2018, 05:09 PM   #57
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
How in the world would bringing in surplus labor drive wages UP?

eta: The "American Immigration Council" appears to be one of those right-libertarian "nonprofits".

I'm seeing a client list that include:

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/board

(from the board)
https://www.klaskolaw.com/team-member/william-a-stock/

Quote:
Industries Served:

Information Technology
Finance
Medical Community (Physicians, Physicians Groups)
Universities
Scientific Community (Researchers, Scientists)
Biotechnology
Engineering
Manufacturing
Pharmaceutical
Research Institutions

Last edited by kellyb; 30th September 2018 at 05:22 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 06:50 PM   #58
Mumbles
Philosopher

Trump Tweeted

Kanye West, again, is a buffoon who shouldn't be taken seriously outside of a music studio - and possibly not even then at this point.

(Oh, he also suggested abolishing the 13th amendment earlier today)

As for black support of Dolt 45:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 07:21 PM   #59
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

As for black support of Dolt 45:

I AGREE

The more things change, the more they stay the same....
Old 30th September 2018, 08:59 PM   #60
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
The article states:

"Despite the House vote, it is unlikely the Senate will take up the legislation."

Would I be right in assuming that means it's unlikely to actually get passed?
You would.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 10:50 PM   #61
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
Meet the new NAFTA, almost the same as the old NAFTA but with a different name. On Sunday night, senior officials in the Canadian government confirmed that their government had reached a tentative deal with the United States for a renegotiated North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Astonishingly, the new trade agreement is only a minor shift from the status quo and from previous agreements.
Linky.

It was a joke before that he was just going to rename NAFTA and claim victory. Turns out that is exactly what is happening.
Old 30th September 2018, 11:09 PM   #62
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Classic Trump tactic: create a crisis where there was none, and then claiming victory for averting the worst when he stops his sabotage.
Old 1st October 2018, 12:08 AM   #63
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Linky.

It was a joke before that he was just going to rename NAFTA and claim victory. Turns out that is exactly what is happening.
So in a nutshell, the biggest change to the original NAFTA is just the name.

The only other change favourable to the US is Canada allowing a 0.35% increased access to its dairy market from what they were originally willing to concede 8 years ago, and the Canadian dairy tariffs will still be in place either way.

But....

Trump got to change the name of the agreement.

Winning !

Too bad old farts like myself will continue to refer to it as NAFTA, as we've been doing for the past 24 years of our lives.

Last edited by AnonyMoose; 1st October 2018 at 12:14 AM.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 03:57 AM   #64
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Late last night, our deadline, we reached a wonderful new Trade Deal with Canada, to be added into the deal already reached with Mexico. The new name will be The United States Mexico Canada Agreement, or USMCA. It is a great deal for all three countries, solves the many......"

"....deficiencies and mistakes in NAFTA, greatly opens markets to our Farmers and Manufacturers, reduces Trade Barriers to the U.S. and will bring all three Great Nations together in competition with the rest of the world. The USMCA is a historic transaction!"

"Congratulations to Mexico and Canada!"
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 04:35 AM   #65
fagin
Philosopher

NAFTA rolled off the tongue better....
Old 1st October 2018, 05:51 AM   #66
Tero
Graduate Poster

I was in grad school in chemistry years ago and we could not recruit enough Americans to fill teaching assistant slots. Half were Asian and a few Europeans. They stayed 4-5 years and got their American degree. They either married an American or went home. There were no visas after the degree, other than a 2 year post doc job.
Old 1st October 2018, 06:27 AM   #67
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
And "USMCA" is just so... Village People.
Old 1st October 2018, 06:37 AM   #68
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Yeah, should've called it the CAMUS, instead.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 06:49 AM   #69
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
They never would have completed the deal if the US didn't get its name first. Some things are just too important to concede.
Old 1st October 2018, 07:20 AM   #70
Lambchops
Muse

Canada and Mexico should have insisted on alphabetical order.
Old 1st October 2018, 07:25 AM   #71
Belz...
Fiend God

It just sounds better, is all. But I suspect Trump would never have accepted the US anywhere other than at the start of the name, as stated by Steve.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 07:32 AM   #72
Lambchops
Muse

MUSAC
Old 1st October 2018, 07:32 AM   #73
Belz...
Fiend God

You think my country's name is ACANDA?

Old 1st October 2018, 07:35 AM   #74
Lambchops
Muse

Old 1st October 2018, 07:49 AM   #75
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
You would.
Can I just point out, for the record, that the House is actually a completely worthless political entity? Even if the House does something that someone pays attention to, it has to be up to the Senate to do it properly. And then, after the Senate does it in an acceptable way, it goes back to the house, who just approves what the Senate does.

The only thing the House has for it is that all spending bills have to originate there. But given that, all they do is slop something together and let the Senate deal with the hard work, if they want to.

Now, an opposition house would have a lot of power. But the House, as it is now, is pretty much worthless.
Old 1st October 2018, 08:00 AM   #76
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Trump becomes president, and suddenly black people everywhere are now getting jobs.

He's a magic man, I tell you. A magic man!

I AGREE

Such a great song.

Who knew that they were actually singing about Donald Trump all this time?
Heart's 1993 album had a track called "My Crazy Head." That's more fitting for Trump, IMO.
Old 1st October 2018, 08:06 AM   #77
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
They never would have completed the deal if the US didn't get its name first. Some things are just too important to concede.

I figured for sure he was going to demand the name be changed to something more along the lines of:

Trump Rules Obama Drools

or

Trump's Bestest Deal Ever
Old 1st October 2018, 08:14 AM   #78
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

At least CAMUS rolls nicely off the tongue.

And it puts Canada first, which only makes sense... since we're the ones geographically sitting at the very top of the continent. First in line, king of the mountain, top of the pyramid, etc etc.

Old 1st October 2018, 08:18 AM   #79
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
At least CAMUS rolls nicely off the tongue.

And it puts Canada first, which only makes sense... since we're the ones geographically sitting at the very top of the continent. First in line, king of the mountain, top of the pyramid, etc etc.

Plus, you know, it puts the countries alphabetically which is only fair.

Old 1st October 2018, 08:20 AM   #80
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I first read that as "prejuicing the outcome".
Well, Kav does seem to be a bit of a piglet, so that's an understandable misreading.

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics