ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 2nd October 2018, 05:17 AM   #121
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
So, which character do you see the President as?
Oh, the one in the hard hat. Just give him a shovel so he can mine coal.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:28 AM   #122
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
So, which character do you see the President as?

https://www.robotbutt.com/wp-content...5429510252.jpg
I notice this particular pic of the village people doesnt have the military people. Not that anyone would think stubby mcbonespurs would match one.

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:44 AM   #123
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Really? Please name some countries where heterosexual marriage is outlawed.
I'm hard pressed to name one where it isn't.

Do siblings of diplomats get visas if they also claim to be lovers?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:54 AM   #124
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I'm trying to figure out what you think you're gaining by trying this silly approach. I honestly have no idea. I hope it works out for you.
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:55 AM   #125
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The White House has altered the official transcript of a press conference to edit out Trump insulting a reporter
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:59 AM   #126
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

Reality got it wrong again.
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:02 AM   #127
Belz...
Fiend God

What an idiot.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:13 AM   #128
Armitage72
Master Poster

It's such a shame that nobody has invented some sort of device that could record sound and images. It would have been useful to have one at the press conference.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:27 AM   #129
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's such a shame that nobody has invented some sort of device that could record sound and images. It would have been useful to have one at the press conference.
The bitch of it is, even the recording doesn't matter. Trump devotees will just take his word that it never happened, or that it was a joke or whatever, and ignore the evidence.

Old 2nd October 2018, 07:28 AM   #130
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The bitch of it is, even the recording doesn't matter. Trump devotees will just take his word that it never happened, or that it was a joke or whatever, and ignore the evidence.
Yeah and just think about how bad it's gonna get when the "Deep Fake" concept really does make everything suspect.
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:31 AM   #131
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah and just think about how bad it's gonna get when the "Deep Fake" concept really does make everything suspect.
As I said earlier, I'm really worried that, whatever the results in November, the losers will find a way to delegitimise the results, and hurt US democracy even more.

Old 2nd October 2018, 07:46 AM   #132
Cabbage
Muse

LOL. Do you not know the meaning of the word "heterosexual"? Is that the problem?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:55 AM   #133
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm trying to figure out what you think you're gaining by trying this silly approach. I honestly have no idea. I hope it works out for you.
I'm sure there's a discussion to be had about this, but we both know it isn't that kind of thread. So I will say simply that something presented without comment can be dismissed without comment.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:15 AM   #134
carlitos
"más divertido"

tastes great! less filling!

I'm sure there's a discussion to be had about this, but we both know it isn't that kind of thread. So I will say simply that something presented without comment can be dismissed without comment.
Rabbit Season! Duck Season! Rabbit Season! Duck Season!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:30 AM   #135
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

What an odd thing to say.
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:34 AM   #136
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Rabbit Season! Duck Season! Rabbit Season! Duck Season!
I'm sorry, am I disrupting Part Ten of your Two Minutes Hate?

What an odd thing to say.
I feel exactly the same way about your post.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:45 AM   #137
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

All I can say is: Ha ha!

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/02/trum...-declines.html
President Donald Trump's net worth has declined by more than $1 billion since the year he launched his presidential campaign at the foot of Trump Tower's escalator, Forbes reported Tuesday. The president's net worth stands at $3.1 billion, down from $4.5 billion in 2015...

I'm actually truly surprised. Not that Trump's net worth has declined. After all, much of his net worth is tied to the Trump 'brand', which now appears to be quite toxic. (for example, multiple buildings removing the Trump name). What I'm surprised at his that his net worth is still as high as it is. I can't see any new businesses wanting to associate with Trump (well, maybe a company that makes white sheets for KKK rallies might).

I also wonder if, in their analysis, whether they considered debt. (The suspicion is that Trump is heavily indebted to Russian interests, and his true Net worth could actually be zero.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:54 AM   #138
carlitos
"más divertido"

Including debt is why "net" is part of a "net worth" calculation.

Net worth = assets - liabilities
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:01 AM   #139
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm... Net worth ultimately comes from two places, right? Investors, or revenues.

Either way, net worth is based on your assets, and assets are purchased with money. And money has to come from somewhere - either from the profitable use of the assets you already own, or from investors hoping to get a piece of your action.

If Trump is indebted to Russian interests to the tune of ~$3 billion, that's a pretty huge money trail. Where does it dead end?

Probably somewhere along the line:

Assets <-- Investors <-- Funding <-- Russians

Have the whistleblowers and investigative journalists of the world not looked into this yet? Or have they all tried and failed to get to the Russians at the bottom of it all?
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:14 AM   #140
carlitos
"más divertido"

Hmmm... Net worth ultimately comes from two places, right? Investors, or revenues.
This is a pretty unorthodox way to think of net worth. Investors can give you revenue**; it's not really "or" there. If investors give you revenue in return for a share of your assets, then your cash increases while your assets decrease, which would have zero effect on your net worth. Assuming you sold whatever thing at a fair market value.

** ETA - I should clarify that ongoing revenue is usually income from sales or ongoing business, not investment. Investment revenue is usually referred to as "capital."

Either way, net worth is based on your assets, and assets are purchased with money. And money has to come from somewhere - either from the profitable use of the assets you already own, or from investors hoping to get a piece of your action.
Money is an asset. Purchasing assets with money would also not affect your net worth, assuming a fair market transaction.

Last edited by carlitos; 2nd October 2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:23 AM   #141
C_Felix
Master Poster

Protip: Use asterisks
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:16 AM   #142
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Including debt is why "net" is part of a "net worth" calculation.

Net worth = assets - liabilities
Yes, I should have clarified...

I wonder if they calculated the net worth, whether they included Trump's probable debt/liabilities.

Trump hasn't shown us his tax returns, nor has he given any real evidence what his assets and liabilities actually are. Lots of room for shady transactions or undeclared debts. In other words, what exactly was Forbes using to calculate his assets/debts?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:28 AM   #143
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Technically part of Trump's net worth comes from value in the "Trump Brand". A marketable name does have some value that doesn't come from Investors or revenues. Its why people drink Coke rather than "brown colored water with lots of sugar". (I suppose you could consider an increase in brand value as part of revenues if its the result of hard work to "build the brand", but brand names can gain value just by chance too.)

Quote:
Have the whistleblowers and investigative journalists of the world not looked into this yet? Or have they all tried and failed to get to the Russians at the bottom of it all?
Probably a combination of illegal transactions that nobody is going to talk about and confidentiality rules on legal transactions make things hard to investigate.

Remember, Manfort went a while with some pretty shady transactions before his crimes were discovered.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:38 AM   #144
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, I should have clarified...

I wonder if they calculated the net worth, whether they included Trump's probable debt/liabilities.

Trump hasn't shown us his tax returns, nor has he given any real evidence what his assets and liabilities actually are. Lots of room for shady transactions or undeclared debts. In other words, what exactly was Forbes using to calculate his assets/debts?
I heard a podcast with a guy from Forbes discussing how they do it. Even without tax filings, asset valuation relies on many documents which are public record, like real estate comps and such. As for companies, you can use their earnings and calculate the worth by using comparable price/earnings ratios. Plus many high net worth people are willing to tell all. In the old days, Forbes might even have gotten a call from Trump's publicist "John Barron."
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:53 AM   #145
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I heard a podcast with a guy from Forbes discussing how they do it. Even without tax filings, asset valuation relies on many documents which are public record, like real estate comps and such. As for companies, you can use their earnings and calculate the worth by using comparable price/earnings ratios.
But the problem is, the Trump Organization is a private organization (rather than a publically traded company), so at least some of that information won't be on public record. (When you have shareholders, you have to let the stockholders know what your company is doing. If you have a single owner reporting rules will differ.)

Quote:
Plus many high net worth people are willing to tell all. In the old days, Forbes might even have gotten a call from Trump's publicist "John Barron."
And everything Barron said would be confirmed by John Miller.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:37 PM   #146
Stacko
Philosopher

Self made from a small loan from my father.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...red-trump.html

It must be nice to think of $413 million as a small loan.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:57 PM   #147
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

"Great reviews on the new USMCA. Thank you! Mexico and Canada will be wonderful partners in Trade (and more) long into the future."

"THE ONLY REASON TO VOTE FOR A DEMOCRAT IS IF YOU’RE TIRED OF WINNING!"

"“USMCA Wins Praise as a Victory for American Industries and Workers”"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:58 PM   #148
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

I bet whoever lent it to you doesn't feel the same way.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:20 PM   #149
Garrison
Illuminator

And now this is a thing:

Trump: 'Scary and difficult time for young men' in US

Well especially if you are a young black man, but does anyone believe that's who he meant?
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:30 PM   #150
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

"Great reviews on the new USMCA. Thank you! Mexico and Canada will be wonderful partners in Trade (and more) long into the future."

"THE ONLY REASON TO VOTE FOR A DEMOCRAT IS IF YOU’RE TIRED OF WINNING!"

"“USMCA Wins Praise as a Victory for American Industries and Workers”"

It's always "reviews" with this reality TV Prez.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:40 PM   #151
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Further:

Quote:
The New York State Tax Department is looking into the allegations laid in an exhaustive New York Times investigation into Donald Trump and his family's business dealings, CNBC has learned.
Linky.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:42 PM   #152
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I wondered if this was your lame take.

The challenge comes down to this: name a country where no man is allowed to marry a woman. If you want to be pedantic, I can state it in terms of quantifiers of first order logic. Name a country in which, for all x such that x is a man and for all y such that y is a woman, x cannot marry y.

That is the relevant point, as you well know. You're diddling, sir, and you know it.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:57 PM   #153
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And now this is a thing:

Trump: 'Scary and difficult time for young men' in US

Well especially if you are a young black man, but does anyone believe that's who he meant?
And Native men. And LGBT men. And I could go on, but of course, Dolt 45 considers both groups vaguely subhuman, as he's a white supremacist.

I also note the entire lack of consideration for women.

See, when people discuss white male privilege, this is it in it's purest form. The standard his young men are scared of is the one I'd love to have grown up with.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:28 PM   #154
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
The Trump administration is quietly moving to weaken U.S. radiation regulations, turning to scientific outliers who argue that a bit of radiation damage is actually good for you — like a little bit of sunlight.
Linky.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:49 PM   #155
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Yeah but the article is immediately guilty of a bit of misdirection though:

Quote:
The government’s current, decades-old guidance says that any exposure to harmful radiation is a cancer risk.
Yeah, harmful stuff tends to harm. But we're exposed to radiation every day, constantly. It's not crazy to think that low-levels of radiation are not harmful. The question is, how much is, and it's not very ethical to test this on humans.

Old 2nd October 2018, 02:54 PM   #156
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah but the article is immediately guilty of a bit of misdirection though:

Yeah, harmful stuff tends to harm. But we're exposed to radiation every day, constantly. It's not crazy to think that low-levels of radiation are not harmful. The question is, how much is, and it's not very ethical to test this on humans.
Rather depends on the humans.

I volunteer my students. Most of them pass for human.

I also volunteer Belz..., but have no idea if he passes.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:34 PM   #157
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I also volunteer Belz..., but have no idea if he passes.
Careful. You have no idea what abilities I might develop.

Old 2nd October 2018, 06:14 PM   #158
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
All I can say is: Ha ha!

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/02/trum...-declines.html
President Donald Trump's net worth has declined by more than $1 billion since the year he launched his presidential campaign at the foot of Trump Tower's escalator, Forbes reported Tuesday. The president's net worth stands at $3.1 billion, down from $4.5 billion in 2015...

I'm actually truly surprised. Not that Trump's net worth has declined. After all, much of his net worth is tied to the Trump 'brand', which now appears to be quite toxic. (for example, multiple buildings removing the Trump name). What I'm surprised at his that his net worth is still as high as it is. I can't see any new businesses wanting to associate with Trump (well, maybe a company that makes white sheets for KKK rallies might).

I also wonder if, in their analysis, whether they considered debt. (The suspicion is that Trump is heavily indebted to Russian interests, and his true Net worth could actually be zero.)
High end New York real estate values have been flat and even falling for the last few years. A great deal of that is the result of huge projects particularly on the West Side like Hudson Yards and Manhattan West.
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:17 PM   #159
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah, harmful stuff tends to harm. But we're exposed to radiation every day, constantly. It's not crazy to think that low-levels of radiation are not harmful.
Basically it's the difference between California Cancer and Cancer everywhere else.
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:40 PM   #160
newyorkguy
Philosopher

What an incredible guy. A millionaire by the time he was eight!

Quote:
While The Times was not able to review Trump's personal tax returns — which he has refused to release, breaking with decades of precedent for presidential nominees — it examined "trove of confidential tax returns and financial records." They revealed Trump received at least $413 million in today's dollars from when he was a small child through the present day.

By the time he was 3 years old, Donald Trump was earning $200,000 per year in today's dollars. By the time he was 8 years old, he was a millionaire. Times link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics