ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:34 AM   #201
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"The Failing New York Times did something I have never seen done before. They used the concept of “time value of money” in doing a very old, boring and often told hit piece on me. Added up, this means that 97% of their stories on me are bad. Never recovered from bad election call!"

"The Stock Market just reached an All-Time High during my Administration for the 102nd Time, a presidential record, by far, for less than two years. So much potential as Trade and Military Deals are completed."

"Thank you to Congressman Tom Reed of New York for your wonderful comments on our great new Trade Deal with Mexico and Canada, the USMCA. I have long ago given you my Full Endorsement, and for good reason. Keep up the Great Work! "
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:02 AM   #202
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Plus many high net worth people are willing to tell all.
Many of the ultra-rich (Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet etc.) don't have to tell, because most of their wealth is in publically listed companies. They get valued by the market every day.
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:49 PM   #203
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I increasingly wonder how anyone that voted for this piece of filth can still be regarded as a decent human being.
Decent people stick their fingers in their ears all the time.

"Fake News!"
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:53 PM   #204
Planigale
Master Poster

I seem to remember that Trump was critical of the cost of drugs and said he would come down on drug companies.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1IV2B2
The 'New NAFTA' or Camus or whatever has as one of its key features the protection of Drug companies against generics that will protect high priced drugs.

I am a bit confused is Trump in favour of cheap drugs or in favour of protecting drug company profits?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:57 PM   #205
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I am a bit confused is Trump in favour of cheap drugs or in favour of protecting drug company profits?
He's in favor of increased profits while making the riff raff believe he's for lower drug prices.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 01:06 PM   #206
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's a pretty terrible strawman. Why'd you do that?

Do you think that people get cancer because of background levels of radiation? Or perhaps because of, say, smoking, too much red meat, etc.?
They are not mutually exclusive.

Take skin cancer; sunlight (background radiation) is a major cause of skin cancer some people (red heads) are more susceptible, some are less. Arsenic also causes skin cancer. Because arsenic cause skin cancer does not mean radiation does not. If you take photo-sensitiser drugs you are much more likely to get a 'radiation' induced skin cancer.

If you accept the idea that mutations can cause cancer, the more energetic photons you are exposed to the greater the risk that you will get a carcinogenic mutation.

One of the carcinogenic components of tobacco was thought to be radon, in some places e.g. Cornwall in England a big component of background radiation is radon. Some houses have to be radon proofed.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 01:25 PM   #207
Belz...
Fiend God

They are not mutually exclusive.

Take skin cancer; sunlight (background radiation) is a major cause of skin cancer some people (red heads) are more susceptible, some are less. Arsenic also causes skin cancer. Because arsenic cause skin cancer does not mean radiation does not. If you take photo-sensitiser drugs you are much more likely to get a 'radiation' induced skin cancer.

If you accept the idea that mutations can cause cancer, the more energetic photons you are exposed to the greater the risk that you will get a carcinogenic mutation.

One of the carcinogenic components of tobacco was thought to be radon, in some places e.g. Cornwall in England a big component of background radiation is radon. Some houses have to be radon proofed.
That might all be true, but it is not mutually exclusive with the idea being discussed. Especially since there are different types of radiation.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 01:45 PM   #208
Imhotep
Muse

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Decent people stick their fingers in their ears all the time.

"Fake News!"
I had a weird conversation with a friend the other day that went like this:

Him: Can you believe that idiot on MSNBC going on and on about how Manafort has gotta make a deal?

Me: Well I'd focus on the content and not the delivery

Him: But he's such a $!*%$

Me: By the way, Manafort did make a deal yesterday

It reminds me of my Dad, he used to watch Cub games solely to root for the other team.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 01:52 PM   #209
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Presidential alert system will work on most USA citizen mobile devices beginning tomorrow. POTUS has been informed that it is to be used only for national emergencies.

Expect "No Collusion" message tomorrow.
"Incoming ballistic missile. Seek immediacovfefe"
Old 3rd October 2018, 02:22 PM   #210
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That might all be true, but it is not mutually exclusive with the idea being discussed. Especially since there are different types of radiation.
OK lets take it outside!
Old 3rd October 2018, 02:27 PM   #211
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

"Trump may be using a cult-like force to communicate to his followers."
-- Alyssa Milano (Oct 3, 2018)

"May the cult-like force be with you!" -- Han Solo
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 02:34 PM   #212
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That sounded shady when I read it - who needs nasal spray daily?
Hey, that stuff is wildly addictive. I'm dead serious. There's a reason you're not supposed to use Afrin every day. You start getting rebound congestion until you finally can't breathe at all without the stuff.

Or, you can put a lot of other interesting compounds in nasal spray. Benzedrex inhalers once had actual benzedrine.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 03:07 PM   #213
Belz...
Fiend God

OK lets take it outside!
Them's fighting words?

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"Trump may be using a cult-like force to communicate to his followers."
-- Alyssa Milano (Oct 3, 2018)

"May the cult-like force be with you!" -- Han Solo
Trump's personality cult is a hokey religion.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 03:43 PM   #214
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Especially horrifying is the reaction of the audience at the rally last night (cheering and clapping), when The PDJT mocked a sexual assault victim.
I watched that in horror. All I could think was what a disgusting excuse for a human being Trump is...and the morons standing behind him laughing and clapping for him are even worse. Trump can't help being the amoral POS he is; a snake can't help being a snake. But these people who support him can see him for what he is; they just choose not to.
These are the same people who watched him mock a disabled reporter. Then, as now, the WH claims he wasn't mocking anyone. These people are simply following Dear Leader's command: Don't believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news. ... What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening."
These people are idiots and I have zero respect for them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 03:50 PM   #215
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Hey, that stuff is wildly addictive. I'm dead serious. There's a reason you're not supposed to use Afrin every day. You start getting rebound congestion until you finally can't breathe at all without the stuff.

Or, you can put a lot of other interesting compounds in nasal spray. Benzedrex inhalers once had actual benzedrine.
I can attest to that from experience. It took me a week of only using the spray in one nostril (so I could breathe) while withdrawing the other nostril from the spray. It was miserable.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 03:51 PM   #216
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Especially horrifying is the reaction of the audience at the rally last night (cheering and clapping), when The PDJT mocked a sexual assault victim.

These are probably some of the same people who cheered the suggestion that the uninsured be left to die.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:29 PM   #217
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
These are probably some of the same people who cheered the suggestion that the uninsured be left to die.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
And those same people would be singing a different tune if it happened to one of their loved ones. Not a one of them would say, "Son, you chose not to have insurance so we're going to tell the doctors to unplug you."
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:38 PM   #218
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

Afrin bees de debil.

Chesley B. Sullenberger III
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:39 PM   #219
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I increasingly wonder how anyone that voted for this piece of filth can still be regarded as a decent human being.
They're certainly not real, loyal, patriotic Americans. No real American would vote for a Russian whore.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:44 PM   #220
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I watched that in horror. All I could think was what a disgusting excuse for a human being Trump is...and the morons standing behind him laughing and clapping for him are even worse. Trump can't help being the amoral POS he is; a snake can't help being a snake. But these people who support him can see him for what he is; they just choose not to.
These are the same people who watched him mock a disabled reporter. Then, as now, the WH claims he wasn't mocking anyone. These people are simply following Dear Leader's command: Don't believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news. ... What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening."
Those people see him for exactly who he is: he is them. Except they're not Daddy-made billionaires. Whenever I see my Trump-loving SiL, and she spouts some of her nonsense, I remind her she isn't, and never will be a millionaire, much less a billionaire and those that are wouldn't give her the time of day anyway. She then makes a boo-boo face and changes the subject.

Chesley B. Sullenberger III
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:53 PM   #221
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Trumps one and only skill is fooling the gullible
And apparently tax evasion. We'll see if it holds with the New York AG is done with him.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 05:26 PM   #222
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
And apparently tax evasion. We'll see if it holds with the New York AG is done with him.
Gotta get that Kavanaugh hearing sped up.
Old 3rd October 2018, 05:49 PM   #223
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 05:53 PM   #224
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The US president, whoever it is, has no business sendingessages to my phone. I simply don't care what a waste of flesh like anyone who has ever occupied the position has to say.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 05:54 PM   #225
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I love these R's who said Trump was not fit to be president and a "loon" but once he was elected, couldn't get their noses up his arse fast enough.
Old 3rd October 2018, 06:09 PM   #226
Belz...
Fiend God

I love these R's who said Trump was not fit to be president and a "loon" but once he was elected, couldn't get their noses up his arse fast enough.
Serves to show how much you can trust anything they say.

Old 3rd October 2018, 07:31 PM   #227
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The US president, whoever it is, has no business sendingessages to my phone. I simply don't care what a waste of flesh like anyone who has ever occupied the position has to say.
He finally discovered that not everyone reads his tweets, so now he's going to send messages directly to his citizens.
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:42 PM   #228
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I seem to remember that Trump was critical of the cost of drugs and said he would come down on drug companies.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1IV2B2
The 'New NAFTA' or Camus or whatever has as one of its key features the protection of Drug companies against generics that will protect high priced drugs.

I did see that, too, and... was thoroughly unsurprised, even if I did do a double take, just to be sure that I read it correctly. He's in favor of whatever he thinks will get him fame and fortune. It's hard to tell beyond that that, really.

Hmm? To borrow from the Daily Kos, again... The Cruelty is the point. They're not necessarily idiots at all. They just have different values. The kind of values that make it so a person can have a good ole time at a lynching. Or at a Colosseum.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
They're certainly not real, loyal, patriotic Americans. No real American would vote for a Russian whore.
Yeah... that's totally a No True Scotsman right there, on top of how it assumes that they believed that Trump was a Russian whore.
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:29 PM   #229
Bob001
Philosopher

A writer persuasively compares Trump rallies to lynch mobs.
Quote:
The cruelty of the Trump administration’s policies, and the ritual rhetorical flaying of his targets before his supporters, are intimately connected. As Lili Loofbourow wrote of the Kavanaugh incident in Slate, adolescent male cruelty towards women is a bonding mechanism, a vehicle for intimacy through contempt. The white men in the lynching photos are not merely smiling because of what they have done, but because they did it together.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-point/572104/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:41 PM   #230
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm wondering if Trump can be convicted of tax crimes associated with the illegal gifts that Fred Trump bestowed on his children through dummy corporations? Or are those his father's crimes? Or is there a statute of limitations that allowed them to do this for decades and they get away with it?

Or could he be criminally prosecuted By the federal government or New York State during or after his term?
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:47 PM   #231
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm wondering if Trump can be convicted of tax crimes associated with the illegal gifts that Fred Trump bestowed on his children through dummy corporations? Or are those his father's crimes? Or is there a statute of limitations that allowed them to do this for decades and they get away with it?

Or could he be criminally prosecuted By the federal government or New York State during or after his term?
sounds like a typical case where there will be an out-of-court settlement.
But even that might be way too expensive for Trump.
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:07 PM   #232
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
sounds like a typical case where there will be an out-of-court settlement.
But even that might be way too expensive for Trump.
There could be. But I doubt it's typical.

But it also could be a crime where penalties could include prison time. Prosecutors always have a lot of leeway. But it seems to me crimes were committed and that others have served lengthy sentences for similar crimes. Ever hear of Kent Hovind a wacky creationist who went to prison for 10 years for tax evasion?
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:41 PM   #233
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

There could be. But I doubt it's typical.

But it also could be a crime where penalties could include prison time. Prosecutors always have a lot of leeway. But it seems to me crimes were committed and that others have served lengthy sentences for similar crimes. Ever hear of Kent Hovind a wacky creationist who went to prison for 10 years for tax evasion?
Further research suggests that the statute of limitations for criminal prosecution has passed. However civil charges don't have a statute of limitations. That said the charges would be against Fred Trump and it would be complicated clawing those civil penalties from his heirs.

It must be nice to be so rich that you can commit crimes for a decade and at most face fines that will barely effect the rewards. Who says crime doesn't pay?
Old 4th October 2018, 12:11 AM   #234
Amazer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Do boyfriends and girlfriends of diplomats normally get visas?
There are a number of countries where registered partnerships are a thing... there are a number of countries that accept long term relationships, backed up by documentary evidence, for visa applications.

And that's just for visas for regular folk... not sure how that would be much different for diplomats and their partners... It surely won't be more difficult though

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Amazer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th October 2018, 01:23 AM   #235
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

A politician not being true to his word? Trump is the first one not to be, no one has ever done this before.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th October 2018, 02:03 AM   #236
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

The illegal gifts to his kids by his father, when they were minors, would have been his father's crime, but that doesn't mean that Trump automatically gets off consequence-free, given that the money isn't clean. Going further, I'm not an expert of the law, but if such was still going on when Trump was an adult and with his knowledge, he very likely qualifies as an accomplice or co-conspirator to the crime. I have no idea about any statute of limitations that may or may not be in effect, on the other hand, though you seem to have looked that up a bit.
Old 4th October 2018, 06:59 AM   #237
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Trump is like your typical mysogynyst Internet troll. Doesn't care less about sexual assault or its survivors, to the point of harrassing and openly mocking them, but suddenly cares a lot about rape/SA when he can make a political point.

"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Which reminds me a lot about all the far-right trolls who spend half their time ranting about how rape is the girl's fault and how horrible all the false accusations are, and the other half feigning terror over all the scary foreigners who've come to "rape our girls".

Edit: would be hilarious if we had an Al Capone scenario where what they finally busted Trump for was tax crimes, not sexual assault or collusion.
Old 4th October 2018, 06:21 PM   #238
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Trump is like your typical mysogynyst Internet troll. Doesn't care less about sexual assault or its survivors, to the point of harrassing and openly mocking them, but suddenly cares a lot about rape/SA when he can make a political point.

"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Which reminds me a lot about all the far-right trolls who spend half their time ranting about how rape is the girl's fault and how horrible all the false accusations are, and the other half feigning terror over all the scary foreigners who've come to "rape our girls".

Edit: would be hilarious if we had an Al Capone scenario where what they finally busted Trump for was tax crimes, not sexual assault or collusion.
I have always believed that Trump will go down for some kind of financial crimes; tax evasion, money laundering or the like. There is a reason he refused to release his tax returns. If he had nothing to hide, he'd have done so.
Old 4th October 2018, 06:27 PM   #239
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I have always believed that Trump will go down for some kind of financial crimes; tax evasion, money laundering or the like. There is a reason he refused to release his tax returns. If he had nothing to hide, he'd have done so.
That his proponents remain silent on the subject tells me they are either oblivious or have totally ditched their principles.
Old 4th October 2018, 06:28 PM   #240
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
That his proponents remain silent on the subject tells me they are either oblivious or have totally ditched their principles.
I'd bet on the latter.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics