ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 6th October 2018, 07:43 AM   #321
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
TP is more newsworthy.
The tee-pee tape even more so.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 08:02 AM   #322
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Good to see that the Republicans' avowed support of due process lasted a long time.
As if we needed more proof that Trump supporters aren't real Americans.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 08:37 AM   #323
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
As if we needed more proof that Trump supporters aren't real Americans.
Not fair.

I loathe Trump, but some of his supporters are real Americans.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 08:43 AM   #324
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Not fair.

In fact, they're "real Americans" in the truest sense of the term. Ignorant, hateful, always looking for glory via war.

So, could we finally change the terms?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 09:28 AM   #325
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Not fair.

Anyone who supports Trump deserves scorn.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 10:23 AM   #326
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
But many people around the rest of the country seemed unaware of some of the criticism The Don got over the years. They never heard of the United States Football League, the Trump Shuttle. They knew very little about Atlantic City and the questionable strategy he followed there. They were of the opinion -- I heard this a number of times -- that they admired the fact that he was a businessman who suffered some business failures, yet regrouped and became even more successful. I think the television show The Apprentice helped him immeasurably, in introducing Trump to the rest of the U.S. and doing it on his terms.
That's a disgraceful failure of the mass media. They mostly treated him as an entertainer and an sideshow, rather than a serious and dangerous leader of a movement. CNN and other outlets routinely allowed him to conduct live interviews by telephone, rather than coming into a studio like everybody else, and CNN in particular gave enormous amounts of air time to Trump surrogates, particularly that deranged Katrina woman. Ex-CBS head (and we know why he's "ex") famously said, "It may not be good for America, but it's damn good for CBS."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ump-may-871464

It always astonished me that the other Republican candidates didn't unload on Trump early. Bush, Rubio and Cruz all certainly had the resources to expose Trump. The Republican leadership was contemptuous of Trump. But they didn't take him seriously either.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 11:17 AM   #327
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That's a disgraceful failure of the mass media. They mostly treated him as an entertainer and an sideshow, rather than a serious and dangerous leader of a movement. CNN and other outlets routinely allowed him to conduct live interviews by telephone, rather than coming into a studio like everybody else, and CNN in particular gave enormous amounts of air time to Trump surrogates, particularly that deranged Katrina woman. Ex-CBS head (and we know why he's "ex") famously said, "It may not be good for America, but it's damn good for CBS."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ump-may-871464

It always astonished me that the other Republican candidates didn't unload on Trump early. Bush, Rubio and Cruz all certainly had the resources to expose Trump. The Republican leadership was contemptuous of Trump. But they didn't take him seriously either.
I'll co-sign this. Dolt 45 should never have made it past Iowa, much less into the Oval Office by the same press that he delighted on insulting.

(By the way, hang onto this note - the habit of supporting people that tell you they hate you will come up, again and again.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 11:24 AM   #328
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump was a drug for the media that they thought they could quit whenever they wanted to.
Old 6th October 2018, 11:45 AM   #329
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Not fair.

Bull ****. You can't be a real, loyal, patriotic American and put a filthy Russian whore in the White House.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 11:48 AM   #330
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Bull ****. You can't be a real, loyal, patriotic American and put a filthy Russian whore in the White House.
I disagree.

Buying Snake-Oil from a Con-Man is a very old American tradition.
Old 6th October 2018, 12:06 PM   #331
Mumbles
Philosopher

So, are you working to change the definition of "real American"?
Old 6th October 2018, 01:03 PM   #332
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Huh.

Quote:
Abstract

Using data from the American National Election Studies, we investigated the relationship between cognitive ability and attitudes toward and actual voting for presidential candidates in the 2012 and 2016 U.S. presidential elections (i.e., Romney, Obama, Trump, and Clinton). Isolating this relationship from competing relationships, results showed that verbal ability was a significant negative predictor of support and voting for Trump (but not Romney) and a positive predictor of support and voting for Obama and Clinton. By comparing within and across the election years, our analyses revealed the nature of support for Trump, including that support for Trump was better predicted by lower verbal ability than education or income. In general, these results suggest that the 2016 U.S. presidential election had less to do with party affiliation, income, or education and more to do with basic cognitive ability.
Bolding mine. Also, I don't have access to the full paper, so I'm unable to more deeply check the methodology and specifics.
Old 6th October 2018, 02:40 PM   #333
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I disagree.

The spirit of PT Barnum lives large today in American politics.
Old 6th October 2018, 03:09 PM   #334
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The early polling numbers for 2020 -- and even the pollsters say it's probably too early -- show Trump with polling numbers between 28% and 32% against 11 potential Democratic candidates. Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren all beat him. There is a huge undecided factor, which gets bigger with candidates who have lesser name recognition. [Poll below, click to enlarge.]
Quote:
From a floor of 28 percent to a ceiling of 32 percent he has a very solid base of supporters — but it’s a base that is just not that big. For all the attention lavished on “Trump Voters Still Like Trump” stories, a candidate who got 46 percent of the vote in 2016 can only count on about a third of the electorate to commit to his reelection. News link

I don't want to see Trump impeached. That would make him a martyr and our politics even uglier and more divisive than they are now. I want to see him get rejected -- instead of reelected -- by the voters on November 3, 2020. Remember that date!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trump in 2020.jpg (45.0 KB, 32 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 03:40 PM   #335
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Last I looked, the definition was fight for the rights of every man
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 03:41 PM   #336
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Last I looked, the definition was fight for the rights of every man
Not women?
Old 6th October 2018, 03:42 PM   #337
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Trump was a drug for the media that they thought they could quit whenever they wanted to.
Old 6th October 2018, 03:48 PM   #338
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The early polling numbers for 2020 -- and even the pollsters say it's probably too early -- show Trump with polling numbers between 28% and 32% against 11 potential Democratic candidates. Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren all beat him. There is a huge undecided factor, which gets bigger with candidates who have lesser name recognition. [Poll below, click to enlarge.]

I don't want to see Trump impeached. That would make him a martyr and our politics even uglier and more divisive than they are now. I want to see him get rejected -- instead of reelected -- by the voters on November 3, 2020. Remember that date!

I can't decide which I'd prefer: Trump gets impeached for criminal acts including, but not restricted to, conspiracy, tax fraud, obstruction of justice or rejected by the American people in 2020. Either way, it'll be a day to celebrate.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 05:01 PM   #339
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I can't decide which I'd prefer: Trump gets impeached for criminal acts including, but not restricted to, conspiracy, tax fraud, obstruction of justice or rejected by the American people in 2020. Either way, it'll be a day to celebrate.
Rejected by Americans at the polls, *then* summarily indicted (and arrested, for good measure) for his crimes. He cannot have too much scorn heaped upon him. A complete fraud and conman of traitorous proportion who's helping Putin to divide and wreck the US.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 05:06 PM   #340
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Unlike in 2016, in 2020 Trump will have to run on his record and I think even The Don will have a tough time trying to spin that. He's accomplished very little and with the midterms looming, he's faced with having to work with a very skeptical Congress.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 05:10 PM   #341
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Rejected by Americans at the polls, *then* summarily indicted (and arrested, for good measure) for his crimes. He cannot have too much scorn heaped upon him. A complete fraud and conman of traitorous proportion who's helping Putin to divide and wreck the US.
I can go with that!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 05:12 PM   #342
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Unlike in 2016, in 2020 Trump will have to run on his record and I think even The Don will have a tough time trying to spin that. He's accomplished very little and with the midterms looming, he's faced with having to work with a very skeptical Congress.
He has on his side the economy...and he will continue to claim it was all due to him ignoring that it was steadily on the upswing since 2010. And the idiots supporters will believe it just like they believe everything he says despite the facts.
Old 6th October 2018, 05:29 PM   #343
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

He has on his side the economy...and he will continue to claim it was all due to him ignoring that it was steadily on the upswing since 2010. And the idiots supporters will believe it just like they believe everything he says despite the facts.
I don't actually think he has the economy on his side and I think it's about to get worse for everyday people. Jobs are plentiful, livable incomes are not.
Old 6th October 2018, 05:50 PM   #344
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't actually think he has the economy on his side and I think it's about to get worse for everyday people. Jobs are plentiful, livable incomes are not.
People think he does. They look at the unemployment rate and the stock market. They look at taxes. The trouble is, his tariffs are affecting prices. My husband's company actually paid more in taxes this year and the tariffs are killing them. I had new gutters installed and the owner said it was a good thing I had it done now as he was having to raise his prices shortly due to the tariffs.
Old 6th October 2018, 05:53 PM   #345
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

...Not according to most Republicans, from what I've seen. It's likely worth remembering that he and Fox News have been consistently and loudly overstating how much he's done and how meaningful the things he's done are.
Old 6th October 2018, 05:55 PM   #346
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
...Not according to most Republicans, from what I've seen. It's likely worth remembering that he and Fox News have been consistently and loudly overstating how much he's done and how meaningful the things he's done are.
That it absolutely the truth.
Old 6th October 2018, 06:13 PM   #347
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Of course, Fox News, Trump and the Republican Party are going to campaign hard to get Trump reelected, and they're going to say he's doing a great job. But the reality is, he's going to be a pretty easy target to run against. It will be easy to put him on the defensive. From a candidate with no record who could (and did) promise anything, he'll be an incumbent who will have to defend his record.

Polling now shows only 28%-32% of those surveyed said they would vote for Trump in 2020, his approval ratings have been consistently in the 38%-42% range, a candidate who lost the popular vote by almost 3.0 million votes. I'm glad I'm not one of his staffers because if I was, I'd be very worried that I'll be out of work come January 2021.
Old 6th October 2018, 06:18 PM   #348
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Of course, Fox News, Trump and the Republican Party are going to campaign hard to get Trump reelected, and they're going to say he's doing a great job. But the reality is, he's going to be a pretty easy target to run against. It will be easy to put him on the defensive. From a candidate with no record who could (and did) promise anything, he'll be an incumbent who will have to defend his record.

Polling now shows only 28%-32% of those surveyed said they would vote for Trump in 2020, his approval ratings have been consistently in the 38%-42% range, a candidate who lost the popular vote by almost 3.0 million votes. I'm glad I'm not one of his staffers because if I was, I'd be very worried that I'll be out of work come January 2021.
….or earlier.
Old 6th October 2018, 06:24 PM   #349
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
No real American would ever sell us out to a Russian whore. They made the bed. Their kind can sleep in it.
Old 6th October 2018, 06:28 PM   #350
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree.

Americans knew about Trump's links with Russia and they voted for him anyway. The failed genetic experiments and products of incest who go to his rallies know Trump is a Russian whore and don't care. I don't care what happens to them. They sold us out to the Russians as if it was nothing. They can rot like the detritus they are.
Old 6th October 2018, 06:49 PM   #351
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I think he actually has accomplished a lot. New tariffs, a version of the Muslim ban, a big tax cut, continuing to increase the national debt, a crackdown on illegal immigration (including a prison camp for children), lots of new and often young conservative federal judges, lower environmental standards, rebranding NAFTA for some reason, killing US involvement in the TPP, killing the Iran deal, weakening Obamacare. I may not like most of those things but they have been done by his administration and many of them are well in line with what many Trump voters wanted.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 07:06 PM   #352
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Now I could easily be wrong, but it wouldn't shock me if he didn't run again. If it wasn't the adrenaline rush he gets from the rallies he'd want out of there.
Old 6th October 2018, 07:29 PM   #353
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Now I could easily be wrong, but it wouldn't shock me if he didn't run again. If it wasn't the adrenaline rush he gets from the rallies he'd want out of there.
THAT. The Narcissist in Chief loves the power and the attention from his adoring idiots. It's all he could have ever wanted...except for the disgust of the world. But, then again, he simply ignores that and believes everyone thinks he's The Greatest.
Old 6th October 2018, 07:38 PM   #354
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
TP is more newsworthy.
What's this mean, you don't care about Trump's tax cheating and finance fraud because, who didn't know that?
Old 6th October 2018, 07:40 PM   #355
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Oh for pity's sake, based on a CT no less.
Old 6th October 2018, 07:51 PM   #356
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

People think he does. They look at the unemployment rate and the stock market. They look at taxes. The trouble is, his tariffs are affecting prices. My husband's company actually paid more in taxes this year and the tariffs are killing them. I had new gutters installed and the owner said it was a good thing I had it done now as he was having to raise his prices shortly due to the tariffs.
I don't think the general public understands just how devastating these trade wars and tariffs could be to many, many industries. I don't think the GOP understands how many people in these industries absolutely understand.

Trying to get IATF certified while figuring out material costs/sourcing is damn hard.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 07:57 PM   #357
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

THAT. The Narcissist in Chief loves the power and the attention from his adoring idiots. It's all he could have ever wanted...except for the disgust of the world. But, then again, he simply ignores that and believes everyone thinks he's The Greatest.
There was a time in my life where I gave a lot of speeches. In a couple of them I had a crowds of about 1000 to 1500 people laughing and cheering. It was better than sex. I get the rush.

But no ******* way would I want to be POTUS. But I don't think Trump does the job like others so it's never really hard.
Old 6th October 2018, 08:09 PM   #358
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump has been running for 2020 since his inauguration.
Old 6th October 2018, 08:13 PM   #359
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No, hes been doing rallies. There's a difference.
Old 6th October 2018, 08:24 PM   #360
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No, hes been doing rallies. There's a difference.
It allows him to collect and misuse an election fund.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics