ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th September 2018, 07:44 AM   #41
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
So a girl scout has more assertiveness than them. Very comforting.
Park rules are not laws, so nobody can be arrested for breaking them. You think police officers should waste their time with unlawful arrests?

Last edited by Information Analyst; 30th September 2018 at 07:51 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 07:58 AM   #42
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Park rules are not laws, so nobody can be arrested for breaking them. You think police officers should waste their time with unlawful arrests?
Like men, they can tell those breaking rules to get the **** out. Too bad they're cowards though.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 08:00 AM   #43
Baylor
Philosopher

What did he win? Apart from a trip to the cells, of course.
Bragging rights. Morale and intel for criminal syndicates and other like-minded people.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 08:02 AM   #44
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Like men, they can tell those breaking rules to get the **** out. Too bad they're cowards though.
Or maybe they had other priorities. You really should make your mind up. First you claim we're drowning under a rising tide of crime, but now you apparently think police should be wasting their time with trivialities.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 08:03 AM   #45
Baylor
Philosopher

Telling people breaking park rules to get the **** out takes all of 2 seconds.
Old 30th September 2018, 08:06 AM   #46
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Bragging rights.
"Yeah, blood, it was well wicked. They pepper sprayed me and TASERed me, and then I woke up in the police van and realised I'd pissed myself, innit?"
"Aw, respect, bruv! I am so looking forward to doing something like that, and ending up piss-soaked in the back of a police van. When iz it you getting out the Scrubs, spar?"
"About five years."
"Safe."

Quote:
Morale and intel for criminal syndicates and other like-minded people.
LOL! You should do stand-up.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 30th September 2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 30th September 2018, 08:07 AM   #47
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Telling people breaking park rules to get the **** out takes all of 2 seconds.
Why are you so bothered about people praying?
Old 30th September 2018, 08:09 AM   #48
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 08:10 AM   #49
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Ah, the undisputed classic!

But maybe Baylor is right. They shouldn't be praying in parks when they have this huge mosque in central London to pray in!

Last edited by Information Analyst; 30th September 2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 30th September 2018, 08:14 AM   #50
Baylor
Philosopher

Quote:
It’s impossible to know the scale of the problem. “They don’t know what injustices are being perpetrated . . . It’s almost a closed book because we can’t go there so don’t know. It could be anything from low-level crime right up to murder . . . [Honour killings] are the most extreme example. That is murder. There is no honour in it.”

He compares the situation in some parts of Britain to Northern Ireland during the Troubles. “In West Belfast certain elements would run the city. If you were a drug dealer, they would kneecap you. They would deal with theft or drugs or violence in their own way.” The difference now, though, is that it is not just violent gangs policing their turf. “I’m not talking about criminals administering their own justice. I’m talking about law-abiding people operating their own systems of law.” This has got to stop, he says. “[We have to] encourage the community to have trust in the police and the criminal justice system so that justice will be delivered according to the criminal justice system of this country and no other system.”
https://archive.fo/ZiWB2
Old 30th September 2018, 08:16 AM   #51
Baylor
Philosopher

Why aren't you bothered your police are cowards?
Old 30th September 2018, 08:22 AM   #52
Baylor
Philosopher

Great exposé on the state of British Police.

I AGREE
Old 30th September 2018, 08:39 AM   #53
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I am not bothered by your bigoted delusions.

GEORGE MEDAL

PC Charlie GUENIGAULT, Metropolitan Police

For confronting armed terrorists to protect others at London
Bridge on 3 June 201

On the evening of 3 June 2017, three terrorists carried out a sustained
attack on members of the public in the vicinity of London Bridge and
Borough Market. PC Charlie Guenigault was in the immediate vicinity.
He was first alerted to the incident at approximately 21:30 when,
despite being off duty, he responded to a call for assistance from a
member of the public who had been stabbed in the arm. He went to
assist and also dialled 999 and requested the attendance of the police
and ambulance services via mobile phone. Two uniformed officers
then approached the scene. He briefed them with what he knew. As
he was doing this he heard a further commotion and observed what at
that stage appeared to be a street brawl involving six to eight people
about 10 to 15 metres away. Despite having no personal protective
equipment, he ran toward the group and saw that in fact two British
Transport Police officers were being attacked and that this was a
violent and dangerous situation. Both officers were experiencing a
sustained attack and were fighting back using their batons. Without
any thought for his own safety, PC Guenigault sprinted towards the
group to assist his fellow officers. On reaching them, he run between
the two BTP officers and pushed away one of the attackers, receiving
a stab wound to the back of his neck as he did so. Despite this, he
forced his way further into the group, at which point it became clear to
him that there were three assailants. He pushed one of the attackers
away from a BTP officer. The attacker then turned on PC Guenigault
and stabbed him multiple times resulting in injuries to his face, back
and hands. He collapsed to the ground and despite his injuries had
the presence of mind to lay still. The attackers then fled the scene. He
was assisted by members of the public and was rushed to hospital
with serious injuries.
Edited by kmortis:  Snipped to comply with Rule 4

Supplement to the London Gazette, 19 July 2018

Last edited by kmortis; 3rd October 2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 30th September 2018, 08:41 AM   #54
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Great exposé on the state of British Police.
How would you know?
Old 30th September 2018, 08:52 AM   #55
Manger Douse
Thinker

"Yeah, blood, it was well wicked. They pepper sprayed me and TASERed me, and then I woke up in the police van and realised I'd pissed myself, innit?"
"Aw, respect, bruv! I am so looking forward to doing something like that, and ending up piss-soaked in the back of a police van. When iz it you getting out the Scrubs, spar?"
"About five years."
"Safe."

Perfect - as a former resident of Brixton, Hackney and Tottenham (and St. Paul's and Easton) I'm intrigued as to where these police no-go areas are too because I was squatting when I lived there and this would have been very handy to know about!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Manger Douse; 30th September 2018 at 08:53 AM.
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 08:53 AM   #56
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
P
I can assure you that we are not huddled under our beds out of fear....
That's true, we're not, but at the same time the undoubted hyperbole and inaccurate conclusions of the OP does mask fundamental and worsening issues within the UK police. There are many factors at play, from the increasingly absurd recruitment policies and lack of training to a commitment to criminalise provocative legal activities instead of preserving the domain of free speech and addressing criminality as and when it arises. It is rarely, as the OP seems to believe, an issue of wilful cowardice by individual officers, rather that they operate in an increasingly ineffective and restrictive framework. As for the point about Muslims, I've seen a number of videos claiming that the police are going easy on Muslim communities out of, essentially, cowardice. This is true, but it's not the cowardice of the rank and file police officers, but of those in charge, the top brass. The one thing they fear most is that certain Muslim communities may be pushed too far, whether by verbal criticism or an attempt to implement basic law enforcement, and that the resulting disorder could not be contained. Not making the criminals angry is the new priority, even if it means projecting an unwholesome image to the wider public and restricting their rights into the same bargain. Individual officers are not to blame for this, and are often frustrated at being prevented from doing the job they signed up for.

Last edited by baron; 30th September 2018 at 08:54 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 08:56 AM   #57
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
Perfect - as a former resident of Brixton, Hackney and Tottenham (and St. Paul's and Easton) I'm intrigued as to where these police no-go areas are too because I was squatting when I lived there and this would have been very handy to know about!
Yeah, Wood Green and Lewisham for me, as well as working in Tooting and Lambeth. Obviously we lack the insight that sitting behind a computer screen in Spokane would have given us....
Old 30th September 2018, 08:57 AM   #58
catsmate
No longer the 1

A man who claims he was "forced" to take early retirement (with a nice fat payout) because of his "edgy" political views. Not exactly an unbiased source, then.

"Cuts in police budgets of hundreds of millions of pounds mean there are now 121,929 officers in England and Wales – nearly 22,000 fewer than eight years ago, say rank-and-file leaders."

So nothing really to do with "cowardice," Muslims, or whatever your bête de jour is.
Nope, plenty to with the Conservative government and it's desperate desire to avoid spending money though.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 08:58 AM   #59
Baylor
Philosopher

In a disgusting display of submission, betrayal, cowardice, UK Police display ISIS Jihadi Finger Salute with muslim.

https://i.imgtc.com/iUiQryz.jpg

"In the last photo taken before he blew himself up in a dusty battlefield in northern Iraq, 17-year-old Briton Talha Asmal sat in the front seat of a car with a single finger on his right hand pointing skywards.

The salute has become common in Islamic State (Isis) propaganda, both from the battlefield and in the final minutes before a shaheed – or martyr – embarks on a suicide bombing."

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-what-...salute-1506249

Last edited by zooterkin; 30th September 2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Rule 5
Old 30th September 2018, 09:04 AM   #60
Manger Douse
Thinker

Yeah, Wood Green and Lewisham for me, as well as working in Tooting and Lambeth. Obviously we lack the insight that sitting behind a computer screen in Spokane would have given us....
Wood Green eh? There's a lot of really nice kebab shops there if you know what I mean...

Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 09:11 AM   #61
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
That's true, we're not, but at the same time the undoubted hyperbole and inaccurate conclusions of the OP does mask fundamental and worsening issues within the UK police. There are many factors at play, from the increasingly absurd recruitment policies and lack of training to a commitment to criminalise provocative legal activities instead of preserving the domain of free speech and addressing criminality as and when it arises. It is rarely, as the OP seems to believe, an issue of wilful cowardice by individual officers, rather that they operate in an increasingly ineffective and restrictive framework. As for the point about Muslims, I've seen a number of videos claiming that the police are going easy on Muslim communities out of, essentially, cowardice. This is true, but it's not the cowardice of the rank and file police officers, but of those in charge, the top brass. The one thing they fear most is that certain Muslim communities may be pushed too far, whether by verbal criticism or an attempt to implement basic law enforcement, and that the resulting disorder could not be contained. Not making the criminals angry is the new priority, even if it means projecting an unwholesome image to the wider public and restricting their rights into the same bargain. Individual officers are not to blame for this, and are often frustrated at being prevented from doing the job they signed up for.
Thanks for the reasonable reply. I get the "just following orders" from the rank and file, but there comes a point in a man's life when he says enough is enough. They shouldn't deign to dress up in high heels, where women's clothes, all for the sake of some misguided view of "tolerance" or "diversity." If supervisors are grossly naive and incompetent like the UK police, this can give the opportunity for rank and file officers to demonstrate leadership that UK police so obviously lack.

I noticed this lack of understanding of the unique problems "multiculturalism" presents from the European posters when I signed up here ten years ago. They have such a naive view of race relations I'm really bemused by the whole thing. The immaturity they demonstrate is mind-boggling. Grown men would rather stick their head in the sand than prevent girls from being raped. Gay Brits kowtow to people who openly want to throw them off rooftops.

Last edited by Baylor; 30th September 2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:12 AM   #62
Information Analyst
Philosopher

In a disgusting display of submission, betrayal, cowardice, UK Police display ISIS Jihadi Finger Salute with muslim.
That's a gesture that long predates ISIS. I guess we have to add it to the ever-growing list of things that don't mean what you think they mean.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 30th September 2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:13 AM   #63
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Wood Green eh? There's a lot of really nice kebab shops there if you know what I mean...
Certainly preferable to Chicken Cottage.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:16 AM   #64
Baylor
Philosopher

That's a gesture that long predates ISIS. I guess we have to add it to the ever-growing list of things that don't mean what you think they mean.
So was the roman salute and swastika.

Last edited by Baylor; 30th September 2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:21 AM   #65
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://i.imgtc.com/iUiQryz.jpg

"In the last photo taken before he blew himself up in a dusty battlefield in northern Iraq, 17-year-old Briton Talha Asmal sat in the front seat of a car with a single finger on his right hand pointing skywards.

The salute has become common in Islamic State (Isis) propaganda, both from the battlefield and in the final minutes before a shaheed – or martyr – embarks on a suicide bombing."

From your link

Quote:
"The one" was actually a recognised gesture by Muslims long before IS and signified the tawhid, the belief in the oneness of God. It would traditionally be used during prayer or sermons.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by zooterkin; 30th September 2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Rule 5
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 09:27 AM   #66
Garrison
Illuminator

Because we don't live in the alternate universe you appear to inhabit.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:27 AM   #67
Manger Douse
Thinker

Certainly preferable to Chicken Cottage.
Now that's a no-go area

Old 30th September 2018, 09:28 AM   #68
Baylor
Philosopher

From your link
From my link

Quote:
The salute has become common in Islamic State (Isis) propaganda, both from the battlefield and in the final minutes before a shaheed – or martyr – embarks on a suicide bombing

It also has a solid jihadi pedigree, said Rita Katz, director of SITE Intelligence Group.

"The gesture has been used by jihadis for years, including high profile ones like Osama bin Laden. Within the jihadi context, the raised index finger takes on political meaning as well, widely rejecting any form of government not under Shariah law," she said.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:38 AM   #69
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

If that person posing with the police was indeed giving an IS finger salute, and the police officers suspected that he was, then I'd agree that they were being cowar

But they didn't, and I am not entirely convinced by the first, either.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:45 AM   #70
fagin
Philosopher

Mmmm, Sebastian Vettel, well know ISIS supporter.

http://www.discoverrisk.co.uk/images/Sebastian%20V.bmp

Last edited by Agatha; 1st October 2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: rule 5
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 09:46 AM   #71
Baylor
Philosopher

If that person posing with the police was indeed giving an IS finger salute, and the police officers suspected that he was, then I'd agree that they were being cowar

But they didn't, and I am not entirely convinced by the first, either.
Whatever. It might give you teh feelztm because it's oh so tolerant but I find it disgusting. It's sick. In a country where little girls get blown up at pop concerts by Islamic terrorists, you shouldn't dare give the same salutes IS does. You people have no loyalty to your own children and displaced loyalty to people who hate you and I find it disgusting.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:50 AM   #72
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Mmmm, Sebastian Vettel, well know ISIS supporter.

http://www.discoverrisk.co.uk/images/Sebastian%20V.bmp
ISIS supporter

Last edited by Baylor; 30th September 2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:50 AM   #73
Her Dark Star
Scholar

At work at the moment, so can't cover all the points. However to highlight the accuracy of your information: that photo is not of Talha Asmal and the one finger salute has a long history in multiple cultures, including Rastafarianism, and just refers to One God. It's the equivalent of saying all Christians are KKK members because they've both used a cross and elevates this thread to Poe level status.

Virtually everything you've posted on this subject is sensationalist tripe, deliberately misrepresenting situations and facts. There aren't any 'no-go' areas in the UK. There are problems with the government and police of course, but probably best to discuss individual aspects rather than hyperbolic grand statements.

I will try to answer your posts in more detail when I get home, but for a little context, I'm British born, have lived here my whole life in numerous different parts of the country, I'm a former police officer and also spent almost a decade working in the Home Office on Public order and Counter-terrorism issues. In an odd co-incidence I also knew one of the officers in that photo. While of course I can only offer my opinion for the most part, I do have some relevant experience both of living in the UK and being involved with public order and policing, so I hope that I can help you understand the matter a bit better. Also for reference, in Britain relying on the Mail or Daily Star for information has about the same credibility as InfoWars.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:53 AM   #74
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Her Dark Star View Post
Also for reference, in Britain relying on the Mail or Daily Star for information has about the same credibility as InfoWars.
He's probably taking that as a recommendation.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 09:56 AM   #75
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
God these jokes are bad.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:56 AM   #76
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

You owe me a new pair of pants as I've just pissed myself laughing.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:56 AM   #77
Her Dark Star
Scholar

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Ah, in which case it may not be worth engaging the posts at all!

Last edited by Her Dark Star; 30th September 2018 at 09:58 AM.
Her Dark Star is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 09:57 AM   #78
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Now that's a no-go area
Bird 'flu in a box...
Old 30th September 2018, 10:01 AM   #79
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Her Dark Star View Post
At work at the moment, so can't cover all the points. However to highlight the accuracy of your information: that photo is not of Talha Asmal and the one finger salute has a long history in multiple cultures, including Rastafarianism, and just refers to One God. It's the equivalent of saying all Christians are KKK members because they've both used a cross and elevates this thread to Poe level status.

Virtually everything you've posted on this subject is sensationalist tripe, deliberately misrepresenting situations and facts. There aren't any 'no-go' areas in the UK. There are problems with the government and police of course, but probably best to discuss individual aspects rather than hyperbolic grand statements.

I will try to answer your posts in more detail when I get home, but for a little context, I'm British born, have lived here my whole life in numerous different parts of the country, I'm a former police officer and also spent almost a decade working in the Home Office on Public order and Counter-terrorism issues. In an odd co-incidence I also knew one of the officers in that photo. While of course I can only offer my opinion for the most part, I do have some relevant experience both of living in the UK and being involved with public order and policing, so I hope that I can help you understand the matter a bit better. Also for reference, in Britain relying on the Mail or Daily Star for information has about the same credibility as InfoWars.
You want to come across as an authority then you showed you are not. Daily Mail is not analogous to infowars. Nor did I only cite what you think are "sensationalist" media. Guardian and the Times, I'm sure you think are "credible" both stating there are effectively no-go zones.
Old 30th September 2018, 10:01 AM   #80
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Whatever. It might give you teh feelztm because it's oh so tolerant but I find it disgusting. It's sick. In a country where little girls get blown up at pop concerts by Islamic terrorists, you shouldn't dare give the same salutes IS does. You people have no loyalty to your own children and displaced loyalty to people who hate you and I find it disgusting.
Or maybe because most people - including coppers - don't spend all day wanking themselves into a frenzy over ISIS videos, they're unaware of the meaning that you insist the gesture can only have?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events