ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:33 AM   #321
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
A little detective work has found that this took place on the Rue Ordener, near the Gare Du Nord, about 5km from the Champs Elysee.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:34 AM   #322
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
A little detective work has found that this took place on the Rue Ordener, near the Gare Du Nord, about 5km from the Champs Elysee.
Gee, you wouldn't be implying that Baylor takes these claims at vace value without bothering to check, would you?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:01 AM   #323
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Salerio View Post
That doesn't look like the Champs Elysees. Not withstanding that, there's riots in the middle of Paris every few years when one or more of students, unions, train drivers, taxi drivers, shop workers get "upperty" and complain about the government.

This has been happening since the 60's
And I think you meant the 1760s!
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:01 PM   #324
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Well done. I gave up trying to pin down the exact location after expending more effort than it was worth, notwithstanding the obvious fact that it wasn't where the caption claimed it to be.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 2nd October 2018 at 12:05 PM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:45 PM   #325
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Quite right. A despicable situation that continued for decades unchecked, continues to this day, and resulted in tens of thousands of young boys and girls being molested and raped. The perpetrators were shielded by members of their own religious community and the authorities were, in many cases, reluctant to act because of the perceived privileged positions of those involved. It's a decent enough analogy.

So how is it that a person can speak all day about the perversions and sickness of the Catholic hierarchy without fear of controversy, and how come it's seen as a virtuous position to take and one which mainstream media, and leftist opinion, positively courts? Because when a person speaks about the Muslim grooming scandal, which in the UK at least has had a far greater impact, they are jeered at, condemned and called bigots and racists. I've watched a good many debates on the Catholic sex abuse scandal and not once have I seen some self-absorbed joker pop up and say, "Yeah yeah, but what about the Muslims?" to hoots and cheers from his like-minded audience apologists.
This post is pure cognitive beauty.

Perfect analogy. I thought the same thing. I've been telling these "skeptics" they didn't abandon religion; they simply traded one religion for another.

eta: I'm not saying they converted to Islam. I'm saying they invented their own religion that currently has a symbiotic relationship with Islam

Last edited by Baylor; 2nd October 2018 at 01:14 PM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:47 PM   #326
Baylor
Philosopher

This is so not a "gotcha!" Just because one part of a city is not occupied by immigrants doesn't mean all neighborhood are not lost. It's really not that hard to understand.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:49 PM   #327
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Do you have a solution for the Muslim problem?

One that will be final?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:49 PM   #328
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kayle View Post
with 6,xxx posts this gif/yt video/'facts' bot has been very successful. who created them?
I know that you know that I'm not the least bit offended by these dumb jokes. So why do you people keep doing them? Simple. To signal to each other that you will still toe the line even when confronted with different viewpoints.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:54 PM   #329
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I note that your illustrate your point about uppity Muslims daring to demand political representation and Labour bending over backwards to please minorities with a graph showing Asian immigrants are less likely to vote Labour than average for ethnic minorities.

Fascinating insight. Do carry on.
Another failed "gotcha!" Just because blacks are more likely to vote Labour doesn't moot the point. There are also plenty of black Muslims and non-Muslim "Asians" so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:03 PM   #330
Information Analyst
Philosopher

This is so not a "gotcha!" Just because one part of a city is not occupied by immigrants doesn't mean all neighborhood are not lost. It's really not that hard to understand.
So which parts of Paris are "occupied," and what exactly do you mean by "ocupied"?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:04 PM   #331
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I wish you would reach out to some of your sources and give us some actual locations that re no-go zones. Then, it would be easy to send out someone to get actual video of the current situation.

Do you think that is possible?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:06 PM   #332
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Another failed "gotcha!" Just because blacks are more likely to vote Labour doesn't moot the point. There are also plenty of black Muslims and non-Muslim "Asians" so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So the graph which you thought proved your point was worthless.

Only 15% of Blacks in the UK are Muslim, while around half of Asians are.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 2nd October 2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:08 PM   #333
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

You're absolutely right. Lies are usually pretty easy to understand.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:18 PM   #334
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I wish you would reach out to some of your sources and give us some actual locations that re no-go zones. Then, it would be easy to send out someone to get actual video of the current situation.

Do you think that is possible?
Contact chief inspector of constabulary Tom Winsor for further information. Just to warn you, he did say he didn't want to name the "won't go zones" due to UK's draconian "hate speech"/blasphemy laws.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:25 PM   #335
Garrison
Illuminator

I t kind of is a gotcha, because you were conned by whoever put up the video. Really though its been clear from the get go that you have not a single clue about what the UK is actually like.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:30 PM   #336
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
I t kind of is a gotcha, because you were conned by whoever put up the video. Really though its been clear from the get go that you have not a single clue about what the UK is actually like.
Uh....buddy..............Champs-Élyséess is in France, not the UK
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:31 PM   #337
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Little Englanders aren't in power??? Have you ever heard of the Conservative and Unionist Party led by a Ms Theresa May?
And I suspect Baylor would find Rees-Mogg a kindred spirit. He castigates May, when she is at the very forefront of the Little Englanders determined to keep Johnny Foreigner out of England's 'green and pleasant land'. Of course being aware of that would require Baylor to have some connection to reality.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:32 PM   #338
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Contact chief inspector of constabulary Tom Winsor for further information. Just to warn you, he did say he didn't want to name the "won't go zones" due to UK's draconian "hate speech"/blasphemy laws.
That is not what he said at all.

Can you show me the exact quote.

He claimed that there were certain communities 'born under other skies' that 'preferred to police themselves'. He said they were not 'no go zones', but that in the absence of any contact between the persons who lived in such communities and the police, the police simply 'won't know what's going on'
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:32 PM   #339
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
So the graph which you thought proved your point was worthless.

Only 15% of Blacks in the UK are Muslim, while around half of Asians are.
Had you actually looked at the data you'd see Muslims are extremely more likely to vote Labour while non-Muslims are not.

But remember, being apathetic is a virtue.

Last edited by Baylor; 2nd October 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:33 PM   #340
Garrison
Illuminator

Uh....buddy..............Champs-Élyséess is in France, not the UK
And its not in the video you linked either.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:34 PM   #341
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Quite right they should vote Labour.

Why would any sane person vote tory?
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:38 PM   #342
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That makes it look like you have no interest in examining the truth of the propaganda you are spouting. And it makes it look like he has convinced you that the truth doesn't really matter, anyway. Good con if you can find enough marks.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:39 PM   #343
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Quite right they should vote Labour.

Why would any sane person vote tory?
And of course that graph ignores the actual numbers of voters in each group, I suspect the 'none' group that also favours Labour handily outnumbers the Muslims.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:45 PM   #344
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That makes it look like you have no interest in examining the truth of the propaganda you are spouting. And it makes it look like he has convinced you that the truth doesn't really matter, anyway. Good con if you can find enough marks.
As I've said many times, apathy is a virtue in the UK. It's in British culture to put their head in the sand and pretend there is no problem, or simply "carry on," as they put it. When "skeptics" were confronted with a picture of British Police doing Jihadi hand gestures with a Muslim, the conditioning kicked in: deny, deny, deny. Also, the "racists" were right about grooming gangs. So it's not me who "has no interest in examining the truth." After reviewing the evidence, I believe Winsor over the tolerant, wordly, diversity-loving, Labour-voting "skeptics."
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:49 PM   #345
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
That is not what he said at all.

Can you show me the exact quote.

He claimed that there were certain communities 'born under other skies' that 'preferred to police themselves'. He said they were not 'no go zones', but that in the absence of any contact between the persons who lived in such communities and the police, the police simply 'won't know what's going on'
That's why I said "won't go zones." Effectively the same thing. They conceded territory to the immigrants.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:50 PM   #346
Garrison
Illuminator

As I've said many times, apathy is a virtue in the UK.
Constant repetition does not make it any truer than the first time you trotted it out. You've come out with an endless series of discredited claims and this is your desperate fallback position, no different from some 9/11 truther screaming about 'sheeple'.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:52 PM   #347
Garrison
Illuminator

That's why I said "won't go zones." Effectively the same thing. They conceded territory to the immigrants.
So your reading comprehension is so poor you can't tell the difference between 'won't go' and 'won't know what's going on'.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:56 PM   #348
Baylor
Philosopher

So your reading comprehension is so poor you can't tell the difference between 'won't GO' and 'won't know what's going on'.

"There are cities in the Midlands where the police never GO because they are never called. They never hear of any trouble because the community deals with that on its own ... They just have their own form of community justice."

eta:

Last edited by Baylor; 2nd October 2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:58 PM   #349
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Constant repetition does not make it any truer than the first time you trotted it out. You've come out with an endless series of discredited claims and this is your desperate fallback position, no different from some 9/11 truther screaming about 'sheeple'.
Indeed, and I googled the website "wakeupslave.com" which was on one of the dishonest videos Baylor linked to.

And came up with this - which fits with the general tone of that website - I genuinely wonder if the author is paranoid in the medical sense. It is incoherent and seemingly terrified, as well as complaining about persecution.

link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:00 PM   #350
baron
Philosopher

I presume for the purpose of this thread, the 'no go zones' are defined as no go zones for the police. I can list plenty of no go zones for 12 year old girls, most of them having a kebab house on every corner, but for the police I offer you... traveller sites. Some of these are genuine police no go zones and I have heard many accounts of the police refusing to chase criminals onto sites, recover stolen property from sites or indeed enforce the law in any meaningful way. There was a story not long ago about someone being shot at from a traveller site, with a similar refusal to act by the police. A woman local to where I used to live had the contents of her farm repeatedly robbed by pikeys, who would turn up with axes and lump hammers and take what they wanted, and the police repeatedly refused to act. When she herself armed herself with a legally held shot gun and called the police, the police turned up... and arrested her.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:00 PM   #351
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Was someone really stupid enough to try to draw an equivalence between the Catholic Church and Muslims? Gee Whizz.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:02 PM   #352
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

"There are cities in the Midlands where the police never GO
No there aren't.

Seriously read that, stop a moment, think about what it says, then reflect on how stupid it is, then go for a walk. A long one. Off a short pier.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:07 PM   #353
Garrison
Illuminator

"There are cities in the Midlands where the police never go because they are never called. They never hear of any trouble because the community deals with that on its own ... They just have their own form of community justice."

eta:
Oh another uncited quote, well I'm convinced. And still not a won't go area. As someone who actually lives in the UK I take that quote as reflecting the fact that ethnic minorities have very little trust in the police. Oh and you've escalated from districts to whole cities now.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:08 PM   #354
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Had you actually looked at the data you'd see Muslims are extremely more likely to vote Labour while non-Muslims are not.
And? What would be your solution to this "problem?" Take away Muslims' right to vote? Which Labour supporters should be targeted after that?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:08 PM   #355
Planigale
Master Poster

Quite right. A despicable situation that continued for decades unchecked, continues to this day, and resulted in tens of thousands of young boys and girls being molested and raped. The perpetrators were shielded by members of their own religious community and the authorities were, in many cases, reluctant to act because of the perceived privileged positions of those involved. It's a decent enough analogy.

So how is it that a person can speak all day about the perversions and sickness of the Catholic hierarchy without fear of controversy, and how come it's seen as a virtuous position to take and one which mainstream media, and leftist opinion, positively courts? Because when a person speaks about the Muslim grooming scandal, which in the UK at least has had a far greater impact, they are jeered at, condemned and called bigots and racists. I've watched a good many debates on the Catholic sex abuse scandal and not once have I seen some self-absorbed joker pop up and say, "Yeah yeah, but what about the Muslims?" to hoots and cheers from his like-minded audience apologists.
If you take from the fact that some RC institutions have been involved with abuse therefore means all Quakers, Presbyterians, Pentecostalists and Mormons are part of a Christian conspiracy then that is OK. The ignorance is that fundamentalist Sunni groups such as ISIS are keener on attacking Shia muslims (et al) than the 'West'. Islam is as diverse as Christianity. There is not a homogenous muslim ethnicity. Bad people do bad things. So yes there is a difference between referring to Catholics and referring to Islam, the comparator is either Wahabiist and Catholic, or Christian and Islam.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:10 PM   #356
baron
Philosopher

Was someone really stupid enough to try to draw an equivalence between the Catholic Church and Muslims? Gee Whizz.
Whilst the molestation and rapes by the Catholic priests were despicable, the perpetrators to my knowledge never murdered girls, strangled them unconscious, branded them with red hot irons, poured petrol over them, nailed their tongues to benches, fire bombed their homes and had them gang raped by 30 men in a single evening, all the while telling their victims, some 11 years old, that they were white slags and that they would rape and murder their mothers and sisters. Because that's what you meant, right?
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:12 PM   #357
Planigale
Master Poster

As a 'disaffected white' I'd like to point out that I have less chance of voting Tory than Baylor does of finding his backside with both hands.

It might also be worth pointing out that non-EU immigrants (i.e. everyone from a majority Muslim country) aren't allowed to vote here until they get citizenship.

As for the democracy doesn't work in a multi-ethnic country BS he would appear to be undermining his own supposed country and arguing that as a descendant of immigrants he shouldn't be allowed representation.
This is untrue. Commonwealth citizens e.g. India, Pakistan, Australia, Trinidad, Canada are allowed to vote. Also they are allowed to be MPs.

(Because unlike those traitorous treasonous slave owning rebels in the US they are loyal to Her Majesty).

Last edited by Planigale; 2nd October 2018 at 02:21 PM.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:13 PM   #358
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Whilst the molestation and rapes by the Catholic priests were despicable, the perpetrators to my knowledge never murdered girls, strangled them unconscious, branded them with red hot irons, poured petrol over them, nailed their tongues to benches, fire bombed their homes and had them gang raped by 30 men in a single evening, all the while telling their victims, some 11 years old, that they were white slags and that they would rape and murder their mothers and sisters. Because that's what you meant, right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Resistance_Army
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:15 PM   #359
Planigale
Master Poster

I presume for the purpose of this thread, the 'no go zones' are defined as no go zones for the police. I can list plenty of no go zones for 12 year old girls, most of them having a kebab house on every corner, but for the police I offer you... traveller sites. Some of these are genuine police no go zones and I have heard many accounts of the police refusing to chase criminals onto sites, recover stolen property from sites or indeed enforce the law in any meaningful way. There was a story not long ago about someone being shot at from a traveller site, with a similar refusal to act by the police. A woman local to where I used to live had the contents of her farm repeatedly robbed by pikeys, who would turn up with axes and lump hammers and take what they wanted, and the police repeatedly refused to act. When she herself armed herself with a legally held shot gun and called the police, the police turned up... and arrested her.
The traveller community are predominantly Catholic! ETA (Also white and probably have very similar views to Baylor)

Last edited by Planigale; 2nd October 2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:16 PM   #360
Baylor
Philosopher

Oh another uncited quote, well I'm convinced. And still not a won't go area. As someone who actually lives in the UK I take that quote as reflecting the fact that ethnic minorities have very little trust in the police. Oh and you've escalated from districts to whole cities now.
So you couldn't be bothered to read the OP

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...e-chief-winsor

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events