ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees

Old 2nd October 2018, 10:37 AM   #241
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Do you think I'm obsessed with race and sex?
I wouldn't know. My comment was a general observation about the left wing and the right wing.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:59 AM   #242
Busta Capp
Scholar

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I said this earlier and it bears repeating. It wasn't Ford's testimony that made me believe Kavanaugh was unfit. It was Kavanaugh's testimony. It was that pathetic, wimpy frat boy entitlement. The absurd indignance, his lack of forthrightness and temperament. Nothing about him says to me that he can be counted on to be trustworthy and impartial.
Can you name even one SC Justice, currently, that is "impartial" ?
Sotomayor ?
Ginsberg ?
Thomas ?
Ect.
They all vote along party lines.

The delay may or may not work, but if the "blue wave" doesn't happen we wiill get another conservative justice nominated.
I wonder what horrible injustice he'll be guilty of to stall again till 2020 ?
Busta Capp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:15 AM   #243
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Busta Capp View Post
Can you name even one SC Justice, currently, that is "impartial" ?
Sotomayor ?
Ginsberg ?
Thomas ?
Ect.
They all vote along party lines.
That's why Kennedy was so interesting. I don't mind bias, but one has to be able to look beyond that and sometimes act against their personal opinions in order to think about the larger issues.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:17 AM   #244
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I wouldn't know. My comment was a general observation about the left wing and the right wing.
The accusation of racism and sexism wasn't leveled at the right wing. It was leveled at me personally.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:19 AM   #245
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

When you’re a knee-jerk apologist for racists and sexists, sometimes you get a little on you.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:24 AM   #246
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
When you’re a knee-jerk apologist for racists and sexists, sometimes you get a little on you.
When you diverge at all from leftist orthodoxy, you "get a little on you".

It'll come around to you some day. The left always eats its own eventually.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:25 AM   #247
lomiller
Philosopher

That doesn't make sense, since he wasn't a senior or 18 when the events with Ford were alleged to have taken place. That wouldn't be a mystery to the committee. Nor does he ever claim that he only drank while a senior. And I think there's a rather obvious alternative reason for him to say this, which is simply to point out that alcohol was commonly and easily available to highschoolers.
He doesn’t want to be recorded talking about his underage drinking, so instead of just owning up to it he’s trying to deceive the committee. There is no other reason for him to mention seniors at all, save trying to deceive the committee as he wasn’t legal drinking age even when he was a senior.

And I think there's a rather obvious alternative reason for him to say this, which is simply to point out that alcohol was commonly and easily available to highschoolers.
You are grasping at straws.
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:28 AM   #248
Belz...
Fiend God

The accusation of racism and sexism wasn't leveled at the right wing. It was leveled at me personally.
Ok I'll try to illustrate the situation. Bear with me.

You know how Holocaust deniers almost to a man turn out to be anti-semitic? So that when you see a new one pop up, you can put some money on them being anti-Jew?

Ok, so by the same logic, a LOT of right-wing people, and those who defend people like Cosby or Weinstein or, even at this point in the procedings, Kavanaugh, seem to require a LOT more evidence to believe women or minorities than they do when the roles are reversed or, as stated earlier, when the political affiliations are reversed. So naturally a lot of people on the left are wary of the sort of rhetoric that comes up in those discussions and often assume the worst.

Old 2nd October 2018, 11:36 AM   #249
lomiller
Philosopher

Not without reason. You asserted that Kavanaugh's accusers were not credible without any evidence whatsoever. How else are we supposed to take this other than as sexism and possibly racism?
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:38 AM   #250
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
He wasn't addressing the committee, he was addressing the court of public opinion.
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
He doesn’t want to be recorded talking about his underage drinking, so instead of just owning up to it he’s trying to deceive the committee.
These are contradictory claims. I'll let you two duke it out.

Quote:
There is no other reason for him to mention seniors at all, save trying to deceive the committee as he wasn’t legal drinking age even when he was a senior.
The committee knows he was 17 and not a senior at the time of the alleged events.

Quote:
That's ironic.
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:42 AM   #251
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Not without reason. You asserted that Kavanaugh's accusers were not credible without any evidence whatsoever.
That is unintentionally accurate. They are not credible because they have no evidence whatsoever.

Quote:
How else are we supposed to take this other than as sexism and possibly racism?
No bias is actually needed. But even assuming bias is involved, partisan bias could suffice. For example, someone who believed Republicans over Democrats every time, regardless of race or sex, is not therefore racist or sexist.
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:42 AM   #252
carlitos
"más divertido"

Quote:
That's ironic.
Because you can drink out of a straw. I get it.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:43 AM   #253
Cavemonster
Philosopher

You mean people who disagree with you might also disagree with each other? WOW!!

But to me I'm not particularly interested in debating WHO he meant to fool.

The plain natural reading of the phrasing in question is not so unclear.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:46 AM   #254
Belz...
Fiend God

No bias is actually needed. But even assuming bias is involved, partisan bias could suffice. For example, someone who believed Republicans over Democrats every time, regardless of race or sex, is not therefore racist or sexist.
Depends. Maybe they believe Republicans over Democrats every time because they identify with that party due to their similarities on race and sex.

Old 2nd October 2018, 11:51 AM   #255
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Depends. Maybe they believe Republicans over Democrats every time because they identify with that party due to their similarities on race and sex.
Your defense of his personal accusation against me is basically that it could be true, and that evidently suffices.

I'll keep that in mind for all future considerations about you, and all the things you might be.
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:55 AM   #256
Belz...
Fiend God

Your defense of his personal accusation against me is basically that it could be true, and that evidently suffices.

I'll keep that in mind for all future considerations about you, and all the things you might be.
What a bizarre response. My post explained that perception of conservatives in general can give someone that sort of impression, something I voice myself earlier. That has nothing to do with your characterisation here.

But then, par for the course for you.

Old 2nd October 2018, 12:04 PM   #257
lomiller
Philosopher

No, they not even the slightest bit contradictory.

The committee knows he was 17 and not a senior at the time of the alleged events.
So? Liars usually think no one else is clever enough to catch onto their pretty games

That's ironic.
You are still grasping at straws.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:27 PM   #258
lomiller
Philosopher

That is unintentionally accurate. They are not credible because they have no evidence whatsoever.
A man says something and you automatically assume he’s telling the truth unless proven otherwise.
A women says something and you assume she isn’t unless proven otherwise.

Are you still seriously saying you don’t understand why people would have a problem with this?

For example, someone who believed Republicans over Democrats every time
If you want to tell us the fact that you refuse to believe women’s testimony is really just a coincidence and you are simply rejecting any evidence challenge Republican orthodoxy I’m more than willing to believe it, but it doesn’t really put you in a better light IMO.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:36 PM   #259
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

A man says something and you automatically assume he’s telling the truth unless proven otherwise.
A women says something and you assume she isn’t unless proven otherwise.
You're pulling this accusation out of your ass. No surprise, since a lack of evidence clearly doesn't matter to you.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:36 PM   #260
xjx388
Philosopher

No, they not even the slightest bit contradictory.

So? Liars usually think no one else is clever enough to catch onto their pretty games

You are still grasping at straws.
How can you read this statement:

Quote:
Yes, we drank beer. My friends and I, the boys and girls. Yes, we drank beer. I liked beer. Still like beer. We drank beer. The drinking age, as I noted, was 18, so the seniors were legal, senior year in high school, people were legal to drink, and we — yeah, we drank beer, and I said sometimes — sometimes probably had too many beers, and sometimes other people had too many beers.
and interpret it to mean that Kavanaugh was trying to mislead people into thinking he was legally of age? That is some serious twisting. ". . . So the seniors were legal," clearly indicates that people who went to his school, people which were not him, were legal to drink. He did not say, "I only drank when I was a senior." It's clear he drank beer during high school because the seniors had easy access to it, therefore everyone had easy access.

Again, there are so many other parts of his testimony to pick apart, this one seems pretty straightforward.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:40 PM   #261
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
How can you read this statement:

and interpret it to mean that Kavanaugh was trying to mislead people into thinking he was legally of age? That is some serious twisting. ". . . So the seniors were legal," clearly indicates that people who went to his school, people which were not him, were legal to drink. He did not say, "I only drank when I was a senior." It's clear he drank beer during high school because the seniors had easy access to it, therefore everyone had easy access.

Again, there are so many other parts of his testimony to pick apart, this one seems pretty straightforward.
That was the impression I got: that he was saying he was drinking legally because he was a senior. I just assumed he was a senior at the time until I found out otherwise later.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:42 PM   #262
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

and interpret it to mean that Kavanaugh was trying to mislead people into thinking he was legally of age? That is some serious twisting. ". . . So the seniors were legal," clearly indicates that people who went to his school, people which were not him, were legal to drink.
The drinking habits of unnamed random seniors who may have been present is completely irrelevant to the question. There is no reason for him to bring it up other than as a diversion intended to leave listeners with the impression that HE was one of those seniors for whom drinking was legal.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:43 PM   #263
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The drinking habits of unnamed random seniors who may have been present is completely irrelevant to the question.
The general availability of alcohol is not.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:50 PM   #264
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
That was the impression I got: that he was saying he was drinking legally because he was a senior. I just assumed he was a senior at the time until I found out otherwise later.
The committee to which he was giving sworn testimony knew he wasn't a senior during the period in question. And nothing he says contradicts that. So no perjury there.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:53 PM   #265
lomiller
Philosopher

The general availability of alcohol is not.
He doesn’t mention “availability of alcohol” and why would he bother? Clearly if he was drinking underage he must have had access to alcohol so it would be completely redundant.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:56 PM   #266
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Why is a little sexual assault now suddenly something that they can't even admit to when the president bragged about it often and no one cares? Look powerful connected men like Trump and Kavanaugh sexually abuse women under their power that is a basic fact and not really a big deal people.

Its like going to a catholic boys school run by monks and being shocked that it turns out they were raping the kids for decades. That is just the way things work.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:04 PM   #267
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The committee to which he was giving sworn testimony knew he wasn't a senior during the period in question. And nothing he says contradicts that. So no perjury there.
No frank answers either, which I would consider an essential requirement for nomination to the supreme court.

Let me put it in a way that will let you set aside the partisan blinders. One of the things that turned me off about Hillary Clinton during her run was that she never gave a straight answer. Every question, no matter how direct, would always get spun somehow into an answer to the question she wanted to be asked instead. Although she would not lie, she did not come off as trustworthy. So it is with Kavanaugh. Even discounting the possible rape and probable sexual assault and nearly certain drinking problem and obvious little white perjuries, the guy is a weasel.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:06 PM   #268
lomiller
Philosopher

Funny how the same people complain because Bill Clinton used “sexual relations” as a synonym for intercourse are now so willing to hang their hats on “it’s technically accurate” so he wasn’t trying to deceive anyone.”
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:10 PM   #269
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
No frank answers either, which I would consider an essential requirement for nomination to the supreme court.

Let me put it in a way that will let you set aside the partisan blinders. One of the things that turned me off about Hillary Clinton during her run was that she never gave a straight answer. Every question, no matter how direct, would always get spun somehow into an answer to the question she wanted to be asked instead. Although she would not lie, she did not come off as trustworthy. So it is with Kavanaugh. Even discounting the possible rape and probable sexual assault and nearly certain drinking problem and obvious little white perjuries, the guy is a weasel.
Let's be clear: Regardless of how we judge the frankness of his answer (and "Yes, we drank beer. My friends and I, the boys and girls. Yes, we drank beer. I liked beer. Still like beer. We drank beer." seems frank enough to me), it is not perjury.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:12 PM   #270
Belz...
Fiend God

You're pulling this accusation out of your ass. No surprise, since a lack of evidence clearly doesn't matter to you.
Ok how about this: what do you think of Kavanaugh's credibility?

Old 2nd October 2018, 01:14 PM   #271
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Funny how the same people complain because Bill Clinton used “sexual relations” as a synonym for intercourse are now so willing to hang their hats on “it’s technically accurate” so he wasn’t trying to deceive anyone.”
"I did not have sexual relations [with a woman who's had my cigar up her vagina and my jism on her dress]" seems like about as clear-cut a case of perjury as ever there was. Where's the technical escape clause for Bill in that?
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:17 PM   #272
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Let's be clear: Regardless of how we judge the frankness of his answer (and "Yes, we drank beer. My friends and I, the boys and girls. Yes, we drank beer. I liked beer. Still like beer. We drank beer." seems frank enough to me), it is not perjury.
Assuming there were at least two dozen other qualified candidates, would you hire someone who answered questions during an interview the way he did?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:23 PM   #273
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

"I did not have sexual relations [with a woman who's had my cigar up her vagina and my jism on her dress]" seems like about as clear-cut a case of perjury as ever there was. Where's the technical escape clause for Bill in that?
No, that was contempt of court. Come on, you're old enough to know this.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:31 PM   #274
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Is that the part of his answer I was addressing?
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:42 PM   #275
Belz...
Fiend God

None.

Old 2nd October 2018, 01:59 PM   #276
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

'Boofing is flatulence'.
'Devils Triangle is a drinking game'.
--Bret Kavanaugh

Clear Perjury.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:11 PM   #277
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

'Boofing is flatulence'.
--Bret Kavanaugh

Clear Perjury.
Perjury on otherwise nearly irrelevant trivialities, so they tell us not only that he's willing to commit perjury, but also that it takes almost nothing to get him to.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:27 PM   #278
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

'Boofing is flatulence'.
--Bret Kavanaugh

Clear Perjury.
Go with that. Booferism is a guaranteed, sure-fire path for the Democrats to regain power. Make that the centerpiece of every single campaign.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:36 PM   #279
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Go with that. Booferism is a guaranteed, sure-fire path for the Democrats to regain power. Make that the centerpiece of every single campaign.
I like when people pushing conspiracy theories accuse those arguing against them of pushing conspiracy theories. Their transparent desperation makes me laugh.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:38 PM   #280
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Perjury on otherwise nearly irrelevant trivialities, so they tell us not only that he's willing to commit perjury, but also that it takes almost nothing to get him to.
Presidential

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics