ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags whales , wildlife incidents

Old 9th October 2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Swimming while cetecean

So these three guys were swimming in Puget Sound, minding their own business, and this lady calls the cops on them just because they're whales.
https://twitter.com/_SJPeace_/status...31085405360128
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 01:39 PM   #2
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
So these three guys were swimming in Puget Sound, minding their own business, and this lady calls the cops on them just because they're whales.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha <pause for breath> hahahahahahaha!
Old 9th October 2018, 01:42 PM   #3
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Wow, she really found a way to ruin that once in a lifetime experience. I feel bad for that guy.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 01:55 PM   #4
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Wow, she really found a way to ruin that once in a lifetime experience. I feel bad for that guy.
I had the same thought.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 02:20 PM   #5
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Wow^3
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely! A tremendous, once in a lifetime event and rather than enjoy it he had to deal with this idiot, who I gather was his adult daughter. What an idiot.

Also by being forced by the panicking daughter (and by her enabler -perhaps her husband?) to start the engine with the whale so close to his boat the dad was probably guilty of violating the laws against putting cetaceans at risk of potential harm.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 03:16 PM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Perhaps they weren't so stupid after all: having heard their remarks any intelligent mammal would indeed try to kill them. A self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts!
Old 9th October 2018, 03:25 PM   #8
Lambchops
Muse

[Picard facepalm.gif]
Old 9th October 2018, 03:28 PM   #9
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

They've been watching too much Jaws.
Old 9th October 2018, 03:35 PM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Some people just shouldn't leave their living rooms.

I would have told her to shut up or we're tossing her over the side.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 04:25 PM   #11
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Absolutely! A tremendous, once in a lifetime event and rather than enjoy it he had to deal with this idiot, who I gather was his adult daughter. What an idiot.
I'm reminded of those Bostonian dudes who mistook a sun fish for a baby whale. But at least they didn't panic.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 01:17 PM   #12
CORed
Philosopher

I wonder what, exactly, she expected the cops (or whoever) to do in response to her 911 call.

ETA:
Panicky woman: "There's three whales under our boat."
911 operator: "Cool!"

Last edited by CORed; 10th October 2018 at 01:23 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 01:20 PM   #13
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm reminded of those Bostonian dudes who mistook a sun fish for a baby whale. But at least they didn't panic.
I was unaware . . . .

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I'm not sure if I should thank you or not.

"Holy **** Jay!"

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 01:26 PM   #14
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

In Boston, for about $50 each, you can pay to take a ferry out to the whale feeding grounds to see some whales. It's a popular tour. You don't get anywhere near as close as these folks. What a wasted experience. : (
Old 10th October 2018, 02:09 PM   #15
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure if you'll thank me for this one either:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 10th October 2018, 03:14 PM   #16
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
In Boston, for about $50 each, you can pay to take a ferry out to the whale feeding grounds to see some whales. It's a popular tour. You don't get anywhere near as close as these folks.
Sometimes you do; when I went, we had whales right up against the boat.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 03:22 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I wonder what, exactly, she expected the cops (or whoever) to do in response to her 911 call.
Pass it on to the Coast Guard, presumably.
Old 10th October 2018, 07:23 PM   #18
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Get a boat.
Go out on the water.
LOOK at the water.
See stuff.

Molas, blue sharks, Elephant seal, pilot whale the size of my boat, right next to it at 20 mph. Blue whale tails off Monterrey. A million porpoises at once- okay, well, thousands. Sleeping Marlin. A Marlin headed north at speed, 'porpoising' in and out of the water. Flying fish. Mako shark is delicious. Welcome to San Diego. Next travelogue, Baja California. Boojum Trees anyone? Jewel Moray?

And my sister thinks she has to fly somewhere for Eco Tourism.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 12:30 AM   #19
Shadowdweller
Muse

Pfft. Human fatalities from ship strikes (i.e. collision with whales and other marine wildlife) aren't unheard of. They're just less common than dying from a lightning strike. Whale fatalities on the other hand...

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 11th October 2018 at 12:32 AM.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 04:56 AM   #20
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

To be a little fair, I totally understand the girl's general fear. As cool as it would be to have a whale that close, if it was just hanging around the small boat I was in and going under it, I'd be concerned it might inadvertently tip the boat over and want to get some distance between the boat and the whale. But turning on the prop to get away could mean hurting the whale, which I wouldn't want to do either.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 06:34 AM   #21
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I bet if they dove in they wold have seen that the whale had an erection. Probably has a thing for a Cuddy Cabin in white fiberglass. They don't call them Hump Backs for nothing.

No, wait, opposite- Mama whale wants to push her baby up to the surface so babe can breath. The boat was much smaller than the whale.
Old 11th October 2018, 08:02 AM   #22
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I made the same deal with whales that I made with insects and rodents: if we're outside, live and let live. If you come into my house, I'll smush you. Let all whales learn from the cricket I killed in my bathroom this morning!
Old 11th October 2018, 08:14 AM   #23
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I made the same deal with whales that I made with insects and rodents: if we're outside, live and let live. If you come into my house, I'll smush you. Let all whales learn from the cricket I killed in my bathroom this morning!
Whales are smart, and learn quickly - probably why you haven't had to smush one yet.

Success.
Old 11th October 2018, 08:19 AM   #24
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
To be a little fair, I totally understand the girl's general fear. As cool as it would be to have a whale that close, if it was just hanging around the small boat I was in and going under it, I'd be concerned it might inadvertently tip the boat over and want to get some distance between the boat and the whale. But turning on the prop to get away could mean hurting the whale, which I wouldn't want to do either.
Yes, there is always some risk in a close encounter with a large animal, but going into panic mode is not going to do you any good. I've never had an encounter with a whale (living ~1000 miles from the nearest ocean makes that pretty unlikely), but I've had several with moose and one with a bison, both animals that have been known to kill people. Yes, the adrenaline flows and the heart rate increases, but I always managed to keep my head, and there is always a sense of relief when the big critter walks or runs away, or simply goes back to munching on the vegetation, having decided that I'm not a threat.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 08:40 AM   #25
calebprime
moleman

I was unaware . . . .

I AGREE

"Holy **** Jay!"
I AGREE
made my day
calebprime is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 11:37 AM   #26
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I AGREE
At least it is shorter. I guess?

Real twist at the end though, why woot.com? I guess if it goes viral it's not a bad ad.

Old 11th October 2018, 11:39 AM   #27
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
made my day
Sorry you are having such a bad day.

Old 11th October 2018, 11:42 AM   #28
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

You'll never hear about this from CNN because it doesn't fit the narrative.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:08 PM   #29
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
You'll never hear about this from CNN because it doesn't fit the narrative.
In fairness, itís difficult to fit whales into most things.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:03 PM   #30
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
In fairness, itís difficult to fit whales into most things.
Including dumpsters.

Oh well. That's not the worst way people have tried to dispose of a whale carcass.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:25 PM   #31
CORed
Philosopher

Including dumpsters.

Oh well. That's not the worst way people have tried to dispose of a whale carcass.
That was just a little tiny whale. If it was an actual whale sized whale, well, I don't think they make dumpsters big enough.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:48 PM   #32
Belz...
Fiend God

I'd disown my family if I were him. What a bunch of idiots.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 08:19 PM   #33
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

In Boston, for about $50 each, you can pay to take a ferry out to the whale feeding grounds to see some whales. It's a popular tour. You don't get anywhere near as close as these folks. What a wasted experience. : (
Same at many places in Australia, most particularly Hervey Bay in Queensland. These people are complete morons, and almost certainly broke the law by turning on their motor too (It would certainly be illegal here at any rate). What a waste.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 11:24 AM   #34
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

In Norway, for $50, you can get around 2kg of tender juicy whale meat.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 11:48 AM   #35
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Same at many places in Australia, most particularly Hervey Bay in Queensland. These people are complete morons, and almost certainly broke the law by turning on their motor too (It would certainly be illegal here at any rate). What a waste.
Illegal here (I'm in the same area as the video) as well. There's one whale watching excursion company here in Port Townsend, but just across the Strait in Victoria, BC, there are tons of them. Including one called "Prince of Whales".
Old 13th October 2018, 12:23 AM   #36
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
In Norway, for $50, you can get around 2kg of tender juicy whale meat.
Which you can take home and prepare it in a traditional Norwegian manner: cover in 2kg of salt, then bury it underground for 6 months and then dig it up and then leave it in a ditch for another month, and then present it to a visiting foreigner telling them it is a time honoured tradition to present this to visitors...

Last edited by Darat; 13th October 2018 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Less al
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 04:42 AM   #37
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

This is what we do with cetaceans in Austalia. Jays cousin must live over here.

I AGREE

PS. Watch the whole video. There is a suprise twist!
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 13th October 2018 at 04:46 AM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 05:44 AM   #38
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Which you can take home and prepare it in a traditional Norwegian manner: cover in 2kg of salt, then bury it underground for 6 months and then dig it up and then leave it in a ditch for another month, and then present it to a visiting foreigner telling them it is a time honoured tradition to present this to visitors...
Sounds like a time honored tradition to prevent visitors.
Old 13th October 2018, 06:32 AM   #39
fagin
Philosopher

Sounds like a time honored tradition to prevent visitors.
You have to think of something to keep you amused when the winter is 364.5 days long.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:18 AM   #40
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That's fake news!

We would never give the good stuff to visitors.

That's what the herrings are for.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events