ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th October 2018, 01:52 PM   #41
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Since the children never exhibited any signs of distress, that the only thing the woman could have observed that would make her "fear for the kids" was the fact that the driver was black and they weren't is a perfectly reasonable deduction and in fact the most logical based on information in-hand.
That's what I said - out of a misplaced and ignorant fear. She feared for the kids because she noticed they were white and the adult was black. That's an ignorant observation, and a bigoted one. It's not in itself racist. Now she might be the Grand Klamchops of the KKK or whatever they call themselves, I don't know, but it's clear she did fear for the kids as opposed to calling the cops simply to piss off a random black man, and however absurd her reasons they don't IMO constitute racism.
Old 10th October 2018, 03:22 PM   #42
fagin
Philosopher

An old school friend of mine in South Africa adopted two kids, both black as that is where adoption is most needed.

And he has a husband...

That would really freak the silly woman out.
Old 10th October 2018, 03:29 PM   #43
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by baron View Post
That's what I said - out of a misplaced and ignorant fear. She feared for the kids because she noticed they were white and the adult was black. That's an ignorant observation, and a bigoted one. It's not in itself racist.
Yes it is. If the sole basis of your fear is a person's race, that is a racist mindset. It is a view that a particular race is intrinsically a threat.

Last edited by Checkmite; 10th October 2018 at 03:35 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 03:35 PM   #44
Checkmite

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
An old school friend of mine in South Africa adopted two kids, both black as that is where adoption is most needed.

And he has a husband...

That would really freak the silly woman out.
Don't be too sure. White parents adopting non-white children isn't especially common, but neither is it so rare as to draw sideways glances in the US. Although I suppose perhaps gay parents might be.

Non-white parents adopting white children, however, is vanishingly rare; practically unheard of in most places in the US.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 03:48 PM   #45
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In the case of the black man w/ white kids, I don't think the cop even behaved badly. The person who called them, yes - horrible behavior. But the cops had to respond to the call, and do some due diligence. There's no indication I can see that they overstepped their proper responsibility in the matter.
You know, I definitely have my differences with you, especially politically, but I do agree with you in this case. The officer really had no choice. he was between a rock and a hard place and was set up by the unfortunate and racist phone call.
My father had somehting similar happen years ago when I was in middle school. He came along on a class trip out of state as one of 3 parent chaperones. A girl in my class needed to use the bathroom, so he walked with her across a park. When she came out they walked back to the group. A woman called the cops and they handcuffed my father while asking the girl questions. My dad is black (mixed-a 'high yellow' if you want to get all Southern about it), and he holds no ill will against the cops. To his credit he says that as a parent he understands.

Last edited by chrispy; 10th October 2018 at 03:49 PM.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 03:52 PM   #46
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yes, that woman was acting like an idiot....

But, recently in Australia and maybe still (I don’t watch a lot of free-to-air TV) advertisements were telling people to report anything suspicious. Yes, things like neighbours buying a lot of chemicals and so on, all in the name terrorism. But I wonder if this heightened level of suspicion that behind every door could lurk someone to do you harm, might lead to ridiculous reports like this.

If I was the woman and was charged with wasting police time or something similar, I would say I was being vigilent just like the government wants.

I know that this isn’t terrorism, but the mindset could be the same - “I just reported something, let the authorities sort it out”.

To repeat, I’m not defending this woman, but sometimes fear of crime is worse than crime itself.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 10th October 2018 at 03:54 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 03:53 PM   #47
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Well at least no one got shot.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2018, 07:48 PM   #48
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Could I get some zip codes or regions for some of you posters?

<<<<< See Avatar. That is my SON. <<<<<<

And this is ME.^^^^^^^^^ No wait, that's another farang pretending to be a Thai.

Here, this is me.....

Now, I'm prepared for people talking behind my back and wondering what an ugly old cauc is doing with such a fine looking little Thai Prince, e.g. wondering if he's adopted or I'm his stepfather. What I'm not prepared for is having to answer to the po-po every time some old biddy wonders if I'm doing a side business in people trafficking, or am a dirty old paedophile who snatched some poor unsuspecting Asian kid from soccer practise.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 12:54 AM   #49
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
(and stopping by the side of the road to take a kid outside the car for a confrontation is unquestionably weird)
I presume you haven't any autistic offspring. Stopping by the side of the road to take a kid outside the car for a confrontation is boringly normal in our world.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 01:26 AM   #50
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I don't know if we discussed here on the board or not but there was an incident about a year back or so where a police officer in California stopped and pulled a gun on a man who was putting his two children into the back, rear facing seats in his Tesla Model X because the police officer interpreted it as him putting children in the trunk and mistook it for a kidnapping.
Hey officer Einstein. That's the wrong kind of trunk. Station wagons and MPV's make bad kidnapping vehicles because even a four-year-old can break through the frigging luggage flap.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:59 AM   #51
baron
Philosopher

Yes it is. If the sole basis of your fear is a person's race, that is a racist mindset. It is a view that a particular race is intrinsically a threat.
But the sole basis of her fear was not the person's race, else I imagine she'd be calling 911 every time she saw a black family (assuming she's not so rabidly racist as to not care if black kids are in danger). The peculiarity of the situation - and it is peculiar as so far as it's rare - was based upon the different races involved, but of course any person of balanced mind would not have called the police in this situation. I don't know, maybe it will turn out that she dons a hood and burns a cross every Saturday but in the absence of such evidence I don't see any racism.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:43 AM   #52
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh goody another "You can't have a negative quality unless you LITERALLY DISPLAY THE NEGATIVE QUALITY EVERY MOMENT OF YOUR WAKING LIFE!" argument.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 03:51 AM   #53
baron
Philosopher

Oh goody another "You can't have a negative quality unless you LITERALLY DISPLAY THE NEGATIVE QUALITY EVERY MOMENT OF YOUR WAKING LIFE!" argument.
If leaning on Caps Lock is a negative quality you do seem to be undermining your own argument recently.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:55 AM   #54
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Whatever. Nobody is going to buy your "But what about all the times she didn't call the cops on black people for no reason?" argument.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 04:01 AM   #55
baron
Philosopher

Whatever. Nobody is going to buy your "But what about all the times she didn't call the cops on black people for no reason?" argument.
OH YES THEY WILL!
Old 11th October 2018, 04:52 AM   #56
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

But the sole basis of her fear was not the person's race, else I imagine she'd be calling 911 every time she saw a black family (assuming she's not so rabidly racist as to not care if black kids are in danger). The peculiarity of the situation - and it is peculiar as so far as it's rare - was based upon the different races involved, but of course any person of balanced mind would not have called the police in this situation. I don't know, maybe it will turn out that she dons a hood and burns a cross every Saturday but in the absence of such evidence I don't see any racism.
Jumping straight to kidnapping is quite the logical leap. We live in a world where step parents and nannies take care of children that may or may not be of the same race. I wonder if this lady would have had her freakout if it was an elderly Hispanic woman driving around two white children.

I suspect that him being man was more "suspicious" than him being black, but I'm sure that only compounded things. Sexism strikes again. Childrearing is still seen my many as "women's work", so a man taking care of children, even if they are his own children, is often seen as strange. Plenty of cases of police being called on "strange men" hanging out around parks and playgrounds that turn out to be just some dad being a dad to his children.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th October 2018 at 04:54 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 05:04 AM   #57
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I suspect that him being man was more "suspicious" than him being black, but I'm sure that only compounded things. Sexism strikes again. Childrearing is still seen my many as "women's work", so a man taking care of children, even if they are his own children, is often seen as strange.
I'm in my own little progressive urban bubble where it's seen as totally normal (and expected), but sometimes the "it's weird to see guys taking care of kids" attitude finds its way in. The other day, I was picking my daughter up from day care as I do every day (and as do at least half the kid's dads) and one of my daughter's classmate was getting picked up by her grandmother, who was probably in her early 60s. It was her first time doing it, so I was showing her what she had to do, etc. The grandmother thanked me by going on about how nice it is to see a father picking up his kid from day care and taking care of the kid.

I was a little taken aback by that, if not a little offended.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 05:48 AM   #58
baron
Philosopher

Jumping straight to kidnapping is quite the logical leap. We live in a world where step parents and nannies take care of children that may or may not be of the same race. I wonder if this lady would have had her freakout if it was an elderly Hispanic woman driving around two white children.

I suspect that him being man was more "suspicious" than him being black, but I'm sure that only compounded things. Sexism strikes again. Childrearing is still seen my many as "women's work", so a man taking care of children, even if they are his own children, is often seen as strange. Plenty of cases of police being called on "strange men" hanging out around parks and playgrounds that turn out to be just some dad being a dad to his children.
I think she's just a do-gooder with nothing much going on in her life. She probably calls the cops every time a car she doesn't recognise parks in her street, or a guy who is black or long-haired or tattooed or bald or Chinese knocks on her door.
Old 11th October 2018, 07:31 AM   #59
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I get mixed reactions when I'm out with Miss Analyst Junior (19 months) in her buggy (stroller). There have been times when I've got on a bus, parked her up in the unoccupied wheelchair space, and sat down right next to her. Even though I'm am constantly checking on her (variable according to awake/sleeping status), some people don't seem to register that she's with me, and then look surprised when I lumber up and take her off the bus when we arrive at our stop.

Miss Analyst has a habit of fixing people with a blank stare until she gets a smile out of them, at which she'll smile and giggle in return. I've noticed that the people most likely to engage positively with that are non-Whites - British or otherwise - and non-British Whites.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 07:33 AM   #60
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
I'm in my own little progressive urban bubble where it's seen as totally normal (and expected), but sometimes the "it's weird to see guys taking care of kids" attitude finds its way in. The other day, I was picking my daughter up from day care as I do every day (and as do at least half the kid's dads) and one of my daughter's classmate was getting picked up by her grandmother, who was probably in her early 60s. It was her first time doing it, so I was showing her what she had to do, etc. The grandmother thanked me by going on about how nice it is to see a father picking up his kid from day care and taking care of the kid.

I was a little taken aback by that, if not a little offended.
I occasionally get, "Aw, have you been left holding the baby?" to which I have to reply, "No, I look after her three days during the week."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 08:01 AM   #61
Thermal
Philosopher

RE: OP. Busybody calls cops on dude she sees in Wal-Mart. He assumes it is because he is black. Could it be because she was just a paranoid weirdo that picked him as a target because of something else he did or said? I think it could. A weirdo that stalks you is kind of by definition not all there. The cop did plus or minus what a cop should do, check a report out as thoroughly as he can on the spot. I certainly hope she does have to publicly account for her actions, although she would probably say he was acting weird, rather than she was.

Could it have been motivated by racism or bigotry? Of course. Is there any reason to be confident that it was Ms. Creepshow's motivation? Not really.

But assume she was: what is the takeaway? There's a racist weirdo in America. Yeah, we got 'em by the boatload. Does anyone seriously deny this?
Old 11th October 2018, 01:37 PM   #62
Checkmite

I suspect that him being man was more "suspicious" than him being black, but I'm sure that only compounded things.
Nah, I suspect you've got that backwards.
Old 11th October 2018, 02:30 PM   #63
TomB
Critical Thinker

I get your point that had it been a woman (of any race) she probably wouldn't have approached them or called the police.

But I also think it would not have happened if he were white, or the children black. She interpreted that they didn't belong together due to race differences.

The question is, how would she have reacted if the kids were black and the man was white?

Also, you can't really tell relations by looking, anyway. My daughter had a boyfriend in high school who appeared entirely white. So did his brother. Their father was black. By father, I mean biological father.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 03:19 PM   #64
Belz...
Fiend God

Nah, I suspect you've got that backwards.
Well, that depends if you think that a black woman would've gotten the same treatment.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2018, 06:07 PM   #65
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, that depends if you think that a black woman would've gotten the same treatment.
I think there's a decent chance they would receive the same scrutiny, if not the exact same treatment; although I question whether this is a that good of a metric, since racists tend to be more afraid of black males than black females in any event.

Perhaps a better way to put it, would be to say that I don't believe the woman in question would have called the police on, or even followed around a white man who was driving a car with two white children in the backseat.
Old 11th October 2018, 06:56 PM   #66
Distracted1
Master Poster

I think there's a decent chance they would receive the same scrutiny, if not the exact same treatment; although I question whether this is a that good of a metric, since racists tend to be more afraid of black males than black females in any event.

Perhaps a better way to put it, would be to say that I don't believe the woman in question would have called the police on, or even followed around a white man who was driving a car with two white children in the backseat.
She doesn't seem to have exhibited a great deal of fear of the babysitter in this instance. She reportedly attempted to engage him directly at least twice.
Old 11th October 2018, 06:58 PM   #67
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
She doesn't seem to have exhibited a great deal of fear of the babysitter in this instance. She reportedly attempted to engage him directly at least twice.
The fear I speak of can be of the "physical harm to me" variety, but isn't necessarily. Afraid that the black man was a threat to the small white children, in this case.

We also don't know the exact natures of those encounters, either. All the video we have shows the white woman in her car at a distance. Although she confronted him, we don't know if it was a matter of actually coming up close to him, or shouting at a distance or from the safety of her vehicle.

Last edited by Checkmite; 11th October 2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12th October 2018, 05:30 AM   #68
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Could I get some zip codes or regions for some of you posters?

<<<<< See Avatar. That is my SON. <<<<<<

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5aee371a5d.jpg

And this is ME.^^^^^^^^^ No wait, that's another farang pretending to be a Thai.

Here, this is me.....http://www.internationalskeptics.com...864cf58a15.jpg

Now, I'm prepared for people talking behind my back and wondering what an ugly old cauc is doing with such a fine looking little Thai Prince, e.g. wondering if he's adopted or I'm his stepfather. What I'm not prepared for is having to answer to the po-po every time some old biddy wonders if I'm doing a side business in people trafficking, or am a dirty old paedophile who snatched some poor unsuspecting Asian kid from soccer practise.
I grew up in New York. I have a photo of my confusing self in my profile... Also, you have a beautiful child! You did well!
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 05:47 AM   #69
Belz...
Fiend God

Well that's my question really: is it the 'black' part or the 'man' part that has more weight? If they work only in combination, is it really 'racist'?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 06:11 AM   #70
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I think she's just a do-gooder with nothing much going on in her life. She probably calls the cops every time a car she doesn't recognise parks in her street, or a guy who is black or long-haired or tattooed or bald or Chinese knocks on her door.
Or, you know, she’s a racist.

And since the thing she did is actually racist, I’ll go with that option over “do-gooder”.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 06:14 AM   #71
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Well that's my question really: is it the 'black' part or the 'man' part that has more weight? If they work only in combination, is it really 'racist'?
Yes, unless she views white men with the same suspicion and scrutiny, which I very much doubt.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 06:14 AM   #72
Thermal
Philosopher

Here's a fun one. a 14 yr old boy gets lost and knocks on the door of a suburban home to get help/ask directions. Owner answers door and fires on him with a shotgun as he runs away. He's rightfully being charged with attempted murder. Video contains actual security cam footage of the incident.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 12th October 2018, 06:14 AM   #73
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post

And since the thing she did is actually racist, I’ll go with that option over “do-gooder”.
I'm on board with what she did being wrong and her motivations possibly being racists but.... how is what she did "actually racist"?

Old 12th October 2018, 06:16 AM   #74
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post

That's fine. Let's go with your worse case scenario; she's a racist.

From this thread we've learned that there exists, in America, today, a woman with racist views. I think we can both agree it's been worth the effort to bring this shocking revelation into the light.
Old 12th October 2018, 08:08 AM   #75
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
I grew up in New York. I have a photo of my confusing self in my profile... Also, you have a beautiful child! You did well!
Bob? Bob Ross?? Is that you???
Old 12th October 2018, 09:36 AM   #76
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Probably an equal combination. A white man or a black woman would have not raised any suspicion or far less suspicion respectively. A white man would be assumed to be the father, a black woman possibly a nanny or some other childcare professional.

There clearly is an undeniable racial element, though, in that a black person - male or female - with white children would automatically be assumed to not be a parent, even though they may well be a foster or adoptive one, or a relative by marriage.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 12th October 2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12th October 2018, 09:42 AM   #77
Belz...
Fiend God

Compound racism?

Old 12th October 2018, 09:44 AM   #78
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Here's a fun one. a 14 yr old boy gets lost and knocks on the door of a suburban home to get help/ask directions. Owner answers door and fires on him with a shotgun as he runs away. He's rightfully being charged with attempted murder. Video contains actual security cam footage of the incident.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
It takes a Real Man™ with a shotgun to stand up to puny 14-year-old.
Old 12th October 2018, 10:16 AM   #79
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Racists really hate hearing about racism. So much so that they'll spend many hours discussing racism on the Internet.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 10:22 AM   #80
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Racists really hate hearing about racism. So much so that they'll spend many hours discussing racism on the Internet.
That's what, to me at least, has been so oddly (and disturbingly) fascinating about the recent spat of racial encounters we've been seeing in the news.

Calling the police on black guest at a pool, or a black girl with a lemonade stand, or a black guy babysitting a couple of white kids isn't just racist. It's almost like... chip in your shoulder racism. Like "I'm both racist and I want it to manifest it in a way that is absolutely certain to be newsworthy."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events