ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th December 2019, 09:21 AM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Obama and Trump tied for Most Admired Man

I bet that has to really get Trump's goat. Being tied with "that" guy.

Quote:
The new Gallup poll released Monday shows that admiration for Trump has increased in 2019, despite the findings of special counsel Robert Mueller's report and the president's impeachment in the House of Representatives. In 2017, the president was the second-most admired man, chosen by 14 percent of respondents, while in 2018 the number decreased to 13 percent. Comparatively, Obama has been the most admired man for 12 years in a row.
No doubt Trump is going to talk about this on Twitter, if he hasn't already, but the fact Obama has held it for 12 years is going to chap his anus as well.

I didn't want to dig through all of the other threads and this wasn't related to his presidency. I can't believe admiration for him is on the rise though. He's such a miserable ****.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I bet that has to really get Trump's goat. Being tied with "that" guy.
I can't believe admiration for him is on the rise though. He's such a miserable ****.
I love unintentional irony.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

The trumpkins probably see both the Mueller report and the fact that the Senate doesn't seem likely to chuck Trump out as the chimp-in-chief winning bigly over increasingly desperate Dems, hence it not affecting him negatively.

Had we not lived in a post-fact world they would've seen these events for what they are, but unfortunately we don't, and the minions think he's doing great.
Old 30th December 2019, 10:55 AM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I wonder how many times you've created it.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:23 AM   #5
The_Animus
Illuminator

It is sad that anyone admires Trump.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:25 AM   #6
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post

As has been said in the past, he's the poor man's idea of a rich and successful man, and he's duped a lot of poor people.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 11:25 AM   #7
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Wait. Trump admired for what?
Old 30th December 2019, 11:41 AM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

It's not really ironic. I said it would get his goat because he's tied for it, in that he didn't win it. I didn't say it would get his goat because Obama was co-named most admired man of the year.

Swing and a miss?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 12:05 PM   #9
Venom
Illuminator

Why does anyone admire Trump?

I think it's cause he's their white savior. I have a hard time thinking of a bigger reason.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 01:01 PM   #10
shemp

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
For being the embodiment of their selfish, racist and xenophobic douchebaggery.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 01:35 PM   #11
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
There are quite a few things Trump lackeys like about him.

Here is a brief list:

Trump hates illegal immigrants, yet Trump often hires illegal immigrants because he can cheat them and get away with it.

Trump likes fast food, and he is proud of the fact.

Trump likes young, sexy women, and he is proud of that fact.

Trump successfully stole millions of dollars from his own father, his own employees, his own contractors, his own creditors, and his own government, and he is proud of that fact.

Trump decidedly lost the popular vote, but he became the President anyway, and he is very proud of that fact.

And so on.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 01:46 PM   #12
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
That's hardly fair.

You left out misogynistic.
Old 30th December 2019, 01:57 PM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

They don't. The assessment wasn't "count the number of persons who admire Trump and Obama", it was "count the amount of admiration for Trump and Obama". A hundred million or so people admire Obama, which netted him 100 million units of admiration. Trump admires himself with 100 million units of admiration, so they tied. Which is frankly shocking: Trump must be really depressed by this impeachment stuff, normally his admiration is much higher.
Old 30th December 2019, 02:04 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I know this wants to be yet another OMB/2MH thread, but what's interesting to me is that this is a perfect illustration of how sharply divided the country is. Trump isn't the problem. Obama isn't the solution.

This isn't a nation that should be attempting any major policy changes right now. Nobody has enough of a majority in public opinion to make it stick, or even make it work.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 02:41 PM   #15
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete

Last edited by acbytesla; 30th December 2019 at 03:47 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 02:46 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Oh c'mon Prestige. I get you're tribal and say silly things like this. But I've been reading your posts for too long a time to bellieve you actually, admire Trump. I get that you see him as a means to an end. Low taxes for the wealthy, no regulations on anything, white power, etc.
That is a vile thing to say, acbytesla. It's entirely uncalled-for. And it's not even relevant to what I'd posted. Please apologize and retract.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 02:52 PM   #17
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete

Last edited by acbytesla; 30th December 2019 at 03:46 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 03:01 PM   #18
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It's not really ironic. I said it would get his goat because he's tied for it, in that he didn't win it. I didn't say it would get his goat because Obama was co-named most admired man of the year.

Swing and a miss?
Yeah, that's not the irony I was referring to. You did indeed swing and miss.

Hint:
It's you.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 03:03 PM   #19
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete

Old 30th December 2019, 03:05 PM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, you don't believe in white power? Maybe I should have said money power? Or entrenched power? How about purging voter rolls and disenfranchising the poor and people of color who might vote against those precious tax cuts?
How about an apology?
Old 30th December 2019, 03:10 PM   #21
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 30th December 2019, 03:18 PM   #22
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete

Old 30th December 2019, 03:22 PM   #23
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, you don't believe in white power? Maybe I should have said money power? Or entrenched power? How about purging voter rolls and disenfranchising the poor and people of color who might vote against those precious tax cuts?
Oh, my last insult wasn't accurate? OK, let's try some other insults.

For what?
Your previous post quoted above made it clear you know exactly for what. Stop playing stupid games of feigned ignorance, you aren't actually that stupid.
Old 30th December 2019, 03:38 PM   #24
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete

Last edited by acbytesla; 30th December 2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 30th December 2019, 03:47 PM   #25
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You misunderstand. I believe in democratic principles. That the rich shouldn't control everything. If that isn't ignorance, I don't know what is.
No, acbytesla, I don't misunderstand, you do. The ignorance I'm referring to is your claimed ignorance of what you said that offended theprestige. It's got nothing to do with you believing in democratic principles or the rich not controlling things.

And I'm assuming you screwed up your last sentence, though you can correct me if I'm wrong. As written, it actually indicates that you believe your own beliefs are ignorant.

ETA:
Delete
Oops. Too late.
Old 30th December 2019, 03:49 PM   #26
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

THIS must really get Trump's dander up:

Quote:
For the second year in a row, (Michelle) Obama stole the top spot from (Hillary) Clinton, who finished first 22 times over 25 years, Gallup said.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 03:50 PM   #27
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I guess Prestige thinks I was calling him a racist. And for that I am sorry.

Nevertheless, I refuse to believe he admires Donald Trump.
Old 30th December 2019, 03:52 PM   #28
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Delete
Delete
Delete
Delete
Delete
It appears you've figured out you done messed up. But you still haven't apologized. That would have been the better way to handle it.
OK, you did apologize. Not a great apology, but still, it's an apology, so my previous statement is now invalid.

Last edited by Ziggurat; 30th December 2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 30th December 2019, 03:53 PM   #29
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Yes
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 03:55 PM   #30
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

It appears you've figured out you done messed up. But you still haven't apologized. That would have been the better way to handle it.
Bow before my greatness.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 03:58 PM   #31
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

As written, it actually indicates that you believe your own beliefs are ignorant.
I do. There is nothing about being ignorant that people should be ashamed of. It just means I don't know. I wish more people would admit ignorance.

But maybe I should have said I was delusional. That maybe a government by the people and for the people is a dream and not a reality. That the iron rule of oligarchy is far closer to the truth.
Old 30th December 2019, 04:25 PM   #32
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Swing and a miss?
Making cryptic remarks, then refusing to explain them is a well-known technique for advancing Internet conversations. Oh, wait. No it's not.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 04:41 PM   #33
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'd also like to know what these people admire in Trump. Do they admire his policies? I can't see them admiring him as a person . If that is what they admire about him, then that says far more about them than Trump. And it's not complimentary.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 04:46 PM   #34
shemp

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
That's hardly fair.

You left out misogynistic.
Sorry, I'll try to do better next time.
Old 30th December 2019, 05:01 PM   #35
Arcade22
Philosopher

They envy the impunity he enjoys. His sexism, racism and slobishness remind them of themselves. What's more, he doesn't hide it at all. By forcing himself on women and constantly lying about everything he just shows how strong he is: he can do that and get away with it.

Hell he lies to his supporters all the time and basically cheats them on having a better leader, and they know that, yet that's such a core part of his appeal that they can't hold it against him. It's everyone else who is naive in thinking that any other politician is any different: they are all lying scumbags, trump is no different from them.

When people say Trump is a strong leader, they mean it in a brutish and thuggish way. That's what they admire and support.

Last edited by Arcade22; 30th December 2019 at 05:10 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 06:11 PM   #36
Venom
Illuminator

Trump is everything Republicans imagined Obama would be:

Arrogant and proud, multiple baby mamas, an unkempt thug, financial loser, poor command of English, vulgar public conduct
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 06:43 PM   #37
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
He's a secret Muslim born in Kenya?
Old 30th December 2019, 06:52 PM   #38
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Arrogant and proud, multiple baby mamas, an unkempt thug, financial loser, poor command of English, vulgar public conduct
If you take policy entirely out of the equation. Trump is one of the most vile individuals one might ever encounter. Beyond the fact that he would cheat his own mother or the incessant lying, there is the fact, that he's a bully and probably the most self centered person to have ever lived.

How can anyone find that admirable?
Old 30th December 2019, 06:54 PM   #39
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Good one Zig. I don't think Trump is that.
Old 30th December 2019, 07:02 PM   #40
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Close Enough: He's a secret kompromat bitch of Russia. Good Catch!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics