ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 30th November 2019, 01:32 PM   #1921
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I think it's kind of offensive to used car salesmen.
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Agreed.

When you’re done with a used car salesman you actually have something. It may not be worth what you paid for it, but you posses a tangible item.

With talking heads, you simply walk away with confusion, ignorance, or muddled thinking.
I stand corrected. My apologies to used car salesmen.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 02:06 PM   #1922
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

53 percent of Republicans believe that Donald Trump is a better president than Abraham Lincoln, according to a new poll.

https://www.newsweek.com/53-percent-...incoln-1474864
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 02:14 PM   #1923
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
53 percent of Republicans believe that Donald Trump is a better president than Abraham Lincoln, according to a new poll.

Well, of course: Lincoln ended slavery.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:14 PM   #1924
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Lincoln was a RINO.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:28 PM   #1925
Tero
Graduate Poster

Yeah but what about Washington and Jefferson?
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:29 PM   #1926
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Commie pinkos.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 03:34 PM   #1927
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I’m not as discouraged as I could be. I’ve heard references to studies showing that perhaps as many as 40% of Americans cannot correctly identify the century in which President Lincoln served. Plus it is probably likely that a fair number of Republicans feel compelled to troll pollsters.

I wonder what results one might get if one polled Americans asking if President Trump is a better President that the 19th century democrat President Alfred Smithfield.
Old 30th November 2019, 03:38 PM   #1928
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
One was a Federalist the other, a Democratic Republican. Someone both parties can claim and hate.
Old 30th November 2019, 04:40 PM   #1929
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

it is probably likely that a fair number of Republicans feel compelled to troll pollsters.
You give them more credit than they deserve. The truth is, those 53% actually do think Trump is better that Lincoln, for many good reasons.

Firstly, Trump is the current Republican president. That alone makes him worth far more than Lincoln, no matter how else he may compare.

However while the current president having an 'R' next to his name is by far the most important thing, Trump is much more than that. Almost everything he has done fulfills the desires of republicans in one respect or another. From stacking the courts with conservative judges, to denying global warming, to trade wars with China and building a wall to keep out 'undesirables', Trump's actions have aligned with conservative wishes more than any other president in history - no wonder they all love him.

And many of the things we think make Trump a bad president are what they think make him the best - racism and xenophobia, sexism, putting down anyone who is not sufficiently obsequious, constant lying and then doubling down when caught out etc. - all stuff they wished they could get away with openly but couldn't because libruls would see them doing it.

Finally there's the pièce de résistance, it triggers liberals. Even the stuff Trump does that they normally would disapprove of is good, because it gets liberals upset too. Conservatives don't need to troll pollsters or anyone else, because Trump is their troll!
Old 30th November 2019, 04:49 PM   #1930
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
You give them more credit than they deserve. The truth is, those 53% actually do think Trump is better that Lincoln, for many good reasons.

Firstly, Trump is the current Republican president. That alone makes him worth far more than Lincoln, no matter how else he may compare.

However while the current president having an 'R' next to his name is by far the most important thing, Trump is much more than that. Almost everything he has done fulfills the desires of republicans in one respect or another. From stacking the courts with conservative judges, to denying global warming, to trade wars with China and building a wall to keep out 'undesirables', Trump's actions have aligned with conservative wishes more than any other president in history - no wonder they all love him.

And many of the things we think make Trump a bad president are what they think make him the best - racism and xenophobia, sexism, putting down anyone who is not sufficiently obsequious, constant lying and then doubling down when caught out etc. - all stuff they wished they could get away with openly but couldn't because libruls would see them doing it.

Finally there's the pièce de résistance, it triggers liberals. Even the stuff Trump does that they normally would disapprove of is good, because it gets liberals upset too. Conservatives don't need to troll pollsters or anyone else, because Trump is their troll!
Sadly, I think there's a more than a bit of truth in that.
Old 30th November 2019, 04:53 PM   #1931
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I’m not as discouraged as I could be. I’ve heard references to studies showing that perhaps as many as 40% of Americans cannot correctly identify the century in which President Lincoln served. Plus it is probably likely that a fair number of Republicans feel compelled to troll pollsters.

I wonder what results one might get if one polled Americans asking if President Trump is a better President that the 19th century democrat President Alfred Smithfield.
The Jimmy Kimmel 'man on the street' interview posted about a week ago supports that. One woman was asked about VP Gerald Ford and she thought he was the current VP. I'll post it here again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t75kZmrwxg
Old 30th November 2019, 05:06 PM   #1932
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Those really are not "conservative" wishes. Only for what FOX is calling conservative today. Conservative use to mean fiscally responsible. Conservative use to mean being pro free trade. Conservatives use to be pro democracy and anti-dictator.
Old 30th November 2019, 06:54 PM   #1933
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

They like Presidents who weren't assassinated.
Old 30th November 2019, 08:05 PM   #1934
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
They like Presidents who weren't assassinated.

If that gets nommed, I’ll vote for it.
Old 30th November 2019, 08:49 PM   #1935
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Those really are not "conservative" wishes. Only for what FOX is calling conservative today. Conservative use to mean fiscally responsible. Conservative use to mean being pro free trade. Conservatives use to be pro democracy and anti-dictator.

"Today" is where we are. What "used to" be is irrelevant. Lots of things "used to" be.

And Fox is saying it because that's what their viewers want to hear. Fox is just a reflection.

Republican pols are doing the same thing. This is what their supporters want. And it is what they are voting for.

You can bemoan the lost values of capital "C" Conservatism all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that "today", as in right now, they are lost. Synonymous with RINO. Scorned and derided by the party of "conservatives", and all those who currently champion it.

Republicans have burned their bridges behind them. Lost any credibility when it comes to espousing such values. They have all but hounded anyone who tries to out of the GOP.

True Conservatives™ are real thin on the ground, and it looks like they need a new TV channel to call their own.

And a new party.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 09:33 PM   #1936
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Of course they do.
If Trump wasn't so great, you'd have to be a POS to support him. Therefore, the worse he acts, the the greater he must secretly be.
Old 30th November 2019, 10:34 PM   #1937
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Valid points.

I forgot that most folks don’t have an objective standard for what constitutes a good president. Instead, they pick someone they like and then justify it by reconstructing the definition of a good president.
Old 30th November 2019, 11:55 PM   #1938
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Ohio Doctors who don't "reimplant ectopic pregnancy" face "abortion murder" charge under new bill

The whole bill's a nightmare, apparently, with this vile, repugnant bit of evil being just one of the nightmarish highlights. The first time, ignorance and stupidity was viable as an excuse. No longer.
No excuse necessary. The bill admirably attained it goal: To reinforce to the Deplorables that their congreecritters will go to any extreme to sustain "family values". Job well done.

Now I've gone and made myself sick by writing that.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 12:14 AM   #1939
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
"Today" is where we are. What "used to" be is irrelevant. Lots of things "used to" be.

And Fox is saying it because that's what their viewers want to hear. Fox is just a reflection.

Republican pols are doing the same thing. This is what their supporters want. And it is what they are voting for.

You can bemoan the lost values of capital "C" Conservatism all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that "today", as in right now, they are lost. Synonymous with RINO. Scorned and derided by the party of "conservatives", and all those who currently champion it.

Republicans have burned their bridges behind them. Lost any credibility when it comes to espousing such values. They have all but hounded anyone who tries to out of the GOP.

True Conservatives™ are real thin on the ground, and it looks like they need a new TV channel to call their own.

And a new party.
Sorry, but what utter pants.

As an international watcher, While humorous you think Trump can destroy the whole Republican Party she is hardly going to happen.

The orange freak will only be there for 8 years or so
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 12:19 AM   #1940
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus, disgusting Trumptrash. They're not even really people. They're something less than fully human.
Old 1st December 2019, 12:27 AM   #1941
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

As an international watcher, While humorous you think Trump can destroy the whole Republican Party she is hardly going to happen.

Trouble is that President Trump is a symptom of the current opinions of the GOP, not the cause. The GOP will continue to espouse similar views and select similar candidates after his tenure IMO.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 12:37 AM   #1942
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Trouble is that President Trump is a symptom of the current opinions of the GOP, not the cause. The GOP will continue to espouse similar views and select similar candidates after his tenure IMO.
20 virtual internet international dollars says the next Republican candidate after Trump loses is Tom Selleck.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 12:38 AM   #1943
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Actually forget Trump losing as he can't run three times

Old 1st December 2019, 12:44 AM   #1944
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

20 virtual internet international dollars says the next Republican candidate after Trump loses is Tom Selleck.
Wait, weren't you just saying that Trump will win in 2020???

All an impeachment decision will do is result in Trump winning again.

The dems and left media are just too dim to realise.

Make up your mind already.

Not to mention: Is your comment even relevant to the The Don's?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 12:46 AM   #1945
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Wait, weren't you just saying that Trump will win in 2020???

Make up your mind already.

Not to mention: Is your comment even relevant to the The Don's?

Re read

Forgot he can't apply 3 times in a row

Old 1st December 2019, 12:47 AM   #1946
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

And yes, because he mentioned future candidates

Old 1st December 2019, 12:55 AM   #1947
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

And yes, because he mentioned future candidates
Your post about running three times snuck in while I made mine.

And since you want to pursue this: quadraginta never said that Trump would destroy the whole Republican party. You, however, claimed he/she did. In fact, this post:

...garbled as it is, was not relevant to quadraginta's post to begin with.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 01:00 AM   #1948
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Gym Jordan has aspirations for a 2024 presidential run himself. His grandstanding before, but especially during, the hearings and his Trump sychophancy could certainly be preparing to take Trump's place.
Old 1st December 2019, 01:01 AM   #1949
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Your post about running three times snuck in while I made mine.

And since you want to pursue this: quadraginta never said that Trump would destroy the whole Republican party. You, however, claimed he/she did. In fact, this post:

...garbled as it is, was not relevant to quadraginta's post to begin with.
Well then what does this mean

Quote:

And a new party.

Old 1st December 2019, 01:06 AM   #1950
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Well then what does this mean
I really don't think you need me to interpret that: It's plainly written as is. And please note: It does not claim, as you seem to think, that Trump is destroying the GOP. If anything, it claims they are destroying themselves, and have been destroying themselves before Trump ever began his presidential campaign.

Is it clear now?
Old 1st December 2019, 01:12 AM   #1951
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I really don't think you need me to interpret that: It's plainly written as is. And please note: It does not claim, as you seem to think, that Trump is destroying the GOP. If anything, it claims they are destroying themselves, and have been destroying themselves before Trump ever began his presidential campaign.

Is it clear now?

Fair point.

I was stupid to think it related to the situation in 2019.

It is actually an unrelated comment to current times and is a general observation.

I apologise for thinking posters talk about current politics

Old 1st December 2019, 01:16 AM   #1952
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Fair point.

I was stupid to think it related to the situation in 2019.

It is actually an unrelated comment to current times and is a general observation.

I apologise for thinking posters talk about current politics

LOL! That's not what I said, either.

You made the mistake of assuming quadraginta was laying the blame for the GOP's problems on Trump. To the contrary, current politics in the GOP have been deteriorating for decades. I can't make it any more plain (hell, I thought it was plain in my last post) than this: Trump isn't destroying the GOP; they have been destroying themselves for decades.

Now is it clear???
Old 1st December 2019, 01:20 AM   #1953
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You made the mistake of assuming quadraginta was laying the blame for the GOP's problems on Trump. To the contrary, current politics in the GOP have been deteriorating for decades. I can't make it any more plain (hell, I thought it was plain in my last post) than this: Trump isn't destroying the GOP; they have been destroying themselves for decades.

Now is it clear???
Given Bush got 2 terms, not really.

Old 1st December 2019, 01:26 AM   #1954
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Given Bush got 2 terms, not really.

Please note: I did not say they destroyed themselves 15 years ago, what I said, (if you could just bother to read my actual words, for a change) is that they are in the process of destroying themselves and have been doing so for decades. The deterioration has increased the last few years, but there have been signs of it since the '60s, at least, when they began pandering for the votes of the ignorant and the racist.
Old 1st December 2019, 01:30 AM   #1955
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Please note: I did not say they destroyed themselves 15 years ago, what I said, (if you could just bother to read my actual words, for a change) is that they are in the process of destroying themselves and have been doing so for decades. The deterioration has increased the last few years, but there have been signs of it since the '60s, at least, when they began pandering for the votes of the ignorant and the racist.
Think I will leave it there, as you obviously have more indepth knowledge of parties destroying themselves while winning.

Old 1st December 2019, 01:40 AM   #1956
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Think I will leave it there, as you obviously have more indepth knowledge of parties destroying themselves while winning.
I agree, I am considerably more knowledgeable than you about this: All you've contributed up to this point are deliberate mischaracterizations of what I am saying: I never said they were dead, I said they are in the process of destroying themselves. That's not at all inconsistent with the electoral success they have had. For one thing, evidently you have no knowledge of the changing demographics of the US. For another, are you even aware of the voter suppression efforts the GOP has been engaging in?
Old 1st December 2019, 01:45 AM   #1957
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I agree, I am considerably more knowledgeable than you about this: All you've contributed up to this point are deliberate mischaracterizations of what I am saying: I never said they were dead, I said they are in the process of destroying themselves. That's not at all inconsistent with the electoral success they have had. For one thing, evidently you have no knowledge of the changing demographics of the US. For another, are you even aware of the voter suppression efforts the GOP has been engaging in?
Don't actually

But I will look into it, as that does sound dodgy if true

Old 1st December 2019, 01:49 AM   #1958
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Now is it clear???
Agree.

Trump is the result of what the GOP has become, not the other way around.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 01:52 AM   #1959
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Agree.

Trump is the result of what the GOP has become, not the other way around.
Still Think Magnum will have a play

Blue Blood style

Old 1st December 2019, 02:01 AM   #1960
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Think it is best for me to avoid US politics threads for a bit.

Am actually genuinely interested, and the whole Trump thing is interesting as he is just an idiot,

But realise I am probably just being an idiot as don't know enough about the history

Apologies if I offended anyone and will still read with interest,

Maybe still make the odd dim post, but not for a while

Last edited by cullennz; 1st December 2019 at 02:03 AM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics