ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 12:27 PM   #2161
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Nancy Pelosi just had a nervous fit. She hates that we will soon have 182 great new judges and sooo much more. Stock Market
The same stock market that seems to have dropped over 300 points since Monday?
Quote:
and employment records.
Private sector job growth was estimated to be only 67,000 in November, far below the previous predictions of ~150,000, and below the growth of ~120,000-130,000 from October..

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/04/priv...adpmoodys.html

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:15 PM   #2162
Bob001
Philosopher

Ex-Repub operative Rick Wilson on MSNBC just explained the self-abasement by Trump's acolytes better than anyone else has:

"Nobody wants to be the first to stop clapping at the Saddam Hussein rally."
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:26 PM   #2163
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
everyone hates the judges Trump appointed, because they are grossly incompetent.
There is a good chance that many of them will drop out as soon as they can line up a more lucrative job.
I'm afraid that's wishful thinking. They've been chosen by the Federalist Society and put in place to turn back the clock on things like civil rights, the environment, workplace safety, separation of church and state. If they need cash the right will just slip them some under the table.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Ex-Repub operative Rick Wilson on MSNBC just explained the self-abasement by Trump's acolytes better than anyone else has:

I bought Wilson's book but gave it up about half-way through. It's basically blaming Trump for everything while extolling Wilson's own virtues. He spent 30 years helping make the Republican Party what it is today. Trump isn't the cause of the party's state, he's the result. Wilson, and others like him, are the cause.

ETA: And I'm sure he would disagree with your description of him as "ex-Republican". He's still a Republican operative, he just doesn't like Trump.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 5th December 2019 at 01:27 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:31 PM   #2164
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That's why one of the last few real hopes I honestly have is that if Republicans ever do turn on Trump... it's pretty much gonna be on masse. Like or two do it and then... boom.

It's a slim chance, but it's nearly all I got left.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:33 PM   #2165
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm afraid that's wishful thinking. They've been chosen by the Federalist Society and put in place to turn back the clock on things like civil rights, the environment, workplace safety, separation of church and state. If they need cash the right will just slip them some under the table.
Can you even imagine the level of bribes a SCOTUS judge is open to?

I mean on a dollar for influence basis, it's the best way to spend your money. You got buy a lot of Congressmen to ensure a law gets or doesn't get passed, but two or three SCOTUS judges to ensure something goes your way.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:36 PM   #2166
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Heard this on the radio a little while ago...

“President Trump has asked the Supreme Court to shield his financial records from the Democratic-led House Oversight and Reform Committee, in the latest case to bring questions over separation of powers to the justices.” Source - The Hill

Delay, delay, delay. The Supreme Court may or may not take the case, but one can be sure Trump is already asking, “If we lose in the Supreme Court, what’s the strategy then?” It’s frustrating to me when his strategies achieve their desired goals, even if it’s only for the short term.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:38 PM   #2167
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Translation: Trump has told the 5-4 Conservative majority on the Supreme Court to stop the Impeachment and they are probably going to do it.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:42 PM   #2168
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Translation: Trump has told the 5-4 Conservative majority on the Supreme Court to stop the Impeachment and they are probably going to do it.
Do you think that a Justice appointed by Trump would be obligated to recuse themself?
Old 5th December 2019, 01:45 PM   #2169
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Do you think that a Justice appointed by Trump would be obligated to recuse themself?
Justices are never required to recuse themselves, the SCOTUS is above such petty concerns.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:50 PM   #2170
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I bought Wilson's book but gave it up about half-way through. It's basically blaming Trump for everything while extolling Wilson's own virtues. He spent 30 years helping make the Republican Party what it is today. Trump isn't the cause of the party's state, he's the result. Wilson, and others like him, are the cause.
He was right there when they released the Kraken, namely Sarah Palin.

Quote:
And I'm sure he would disagree with your description of him as "ex-Republican". He's still a Republican operative, he just doesn't like Trump.
I thought he left the party. A super hasty search shows references to that but I don't see anything definitive.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:50 PM   #2171
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I have some hope of CJ Roberts being an ethical person. Not a lot, but some.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:53 PM   #2172
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Can you even imagine the level of bribes a SCOTUS judge is open to?

I mean on a dollar for influence basis, it's the best way to spend your money. You got buy a lot of Congressmen to ensure a law gets or doesn't get passed, but two or three SCOTUS judges to ensure something goes your way.
You don't need to bribe the Justice. Just hire his wife for your right-wing think tank.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:55 PM   #2173
Bob001
Philosopher

ETA: And I'm sure he would disagree with your description of him as "ex-Republican". He's still a Republican operative, he just doesn't like Trump.
I meant ex-operative, not ex-Repub. I don't think there's much chance of him signing on with Bernie Sanders.

And Trump is the result of a lot of cascading political failure, including Reagan's tax cuts and union-busting, Bill Clinton's trade policies and Obama not sending anybody to prison after the financial crisis. But the entire Republican establishment was unanimously against Trump. They were even talking about trying to block his nomination at the convention. There's plenty of blame to go around for Trump, but Wilson sure didn't support him
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:56 PM   #2174
Bob001
Philosopher

On what basis? Impeachment is a Congressional process.
Old 5th December 2019, 02:33 PM   #2175
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

You would think that the case would be short.

Lawyer: The constitution states that the House shall have the sole power of impeachment.
Judges: Case dismissed
Trump: Waaaaaaa! Roberts is a meanie!
Old 5th December 2019, 02:50 PM   #2176
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

They can keep the fininacial records from being released, but they can't stop the impeachment process.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 02:52 PM   #2177
plague311
Great minds think...

I know the fatigue that's setting in with me is with these excessive appeals. I understand it's the process, and Trump truly does deserve the same rights all of us do; however, it does get old reading "Court rules against Trump, means **** all since we're going to appeal and wait for 3 more months".

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 02:52 PM   #2178
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I keep on saying, if things are as bad as some here say, the only logical thing to do is buy a rifle and learn how to use it, because it will come to an armed struggle.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 02:53 PM   #2179
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I keep on saying, if things are as bad as some here say, the only logical thing to do is buy a rifle and learn how to use it, because it will come to an armed struggle.
I don't believe that at all. There are some things that Trump has done that aren't terrible. I think if he's impeached, or if he loses the election, he'll leave without too much fuss. He'll piss and moan about how illegal everything is but I think he'll leave without a hassle.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:06 PM   #2180
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Time to poke at some things that may be of interest.

State lawyers say judge's ruling will nullify Florida law restoring ex-felons' voting rights

Short version of the story, including some extra surrounding stuff? After Florida overwhelmingly voted to reenfranchise ex-felons' voting rights on the ballot, the GOP got scared and tacked on an entirely superfluous effective poll tax to try to keep as many of them disenfranchised as possible. They just had that effective poll tax ruled unconstitutional (at least mostly), so now they're trying to argue that the entirely superfluous effective poll tax is inseparable from what the Florida voters actually voted for.

Newly obtained video shows no one checked on boy as he lay dying in Border Patrol custody

In short, ICE failed to actually do their jobs. Then brazenly lied about it. And the kid died because of that.

Suit alleging private prison company used ICE detainees as 'captive labor force' goes forward

May those who shamelessly and viciously exploited detainees actually suffer for their immoral misdeeds.

Republicans confirm judge so committed to destroying reproductive rights that she opposes surrogacy

ABA rated her as not qualified, of course, too. Darn that liberal ABA, actually upholding "standards" in the face of radical Republicans trying to fill the courts with actual activist judges, no matter how unqualified.

Rudy Giuliani back in Kyiv to double down on corruption and create genuine international conspiracy

It's absurd, of course, and he quite deserves to be living in a cell by now.

Barr threatens that 'communities' could lose 'the police protection they need' if they resist cops

Well... That's closer to foghorn level than dogwhistle level, as seems to be increasingly be the GOP's wont these days.

Last edited by Aridas; 5th December 2019 at 03:07 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:13 PM   #2181
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Nancy Pelosi just had a nervous fit. She hates that we will soon have 182 great new judges and sooo much more. Stock Market and employment records. She says she “prays for the President.” I don’t believe her, not even close. Help the homeless in your district Nancy. USMCA
Frequently when I channel surf past the Senate coverage on CSPAN, they are pumping federal judges through, one after the other. It takes them about one minute per judge.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:17 PM   #2182
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I doubt Roberts would allow that. Surely at least he is not a yes Trumper.

Space Force.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:20 PM   #2183
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

If the worst comes to be, and the people who value democracy are so few and our dedication so lacking that we're unable to brings thing to a head using non-violent means, then we deserve what we get.
Old 5th December 2019, 03:25 PM   #2184
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
If the worst comes to be, and the people who value democracy are so few and our dedication so lacking that we're unable to brings thing to a head using non-violent means, then we deserve what we get.
I don't disagree, but at times it does comes down to a fight. Non violence does not always work.
We only had one massive breakdown in our (The USA) history where it came down to real serious violence;The Civil War. The question is are we in a similar situation right now.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th December 2019, 03:26 PM   #2185
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I don't believe that at all. There are some things that Trump has done that aren't terrible. I think if he's impeached, or if he loses the election, he'll leave without too much fuss. He'll piss and moan about how illegal everything is but I think he'll leave without a hassle.
Some people think there might be a problem, especially if the election is close.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...=recirc_recent
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...ection-1441216

The real worry should be how much damage Trump could do between Nov. 3 and Jan. 20.
Old 5th December 2019, 03:28 PM   #2186
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

CNBC (Canadian): Trump abruptly cancels NATO news conference after summit turns sour
Quote:
KEY POINTS
President Donald Trump on Wednesday abruptly canceled a news conference that was scheduled to cap a contentious trip to the U.K. for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization’s 70th anniversary meeting.
The presser was scheduled to come after a series of bilateral meetings with NATO members, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.
Hours before it was set to start, video emerged of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau caught on a hot mic apparently mocking Trump.

Space Force.
Old 5th December 2019, 03:42 PM   #2187
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Here is yet another possible example of illegal activity by the Trump administration:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...icane-n1096421
Democratic lawmakers Thursday accused the Trump administration of "illegally withholding" funding for hurricane recovery efforts in Puerto Rico after missing a legally required deadline to kick off the process three months ago.

Not really sure why they are making an issue of it now rather than when the deadline was first missed. (I guess waiting a short amount of time would have given them some opportunity to fix the problem and avoid accusations of Democrats being over eager to criticize the Trump administration.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:47 PM   #2188
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Not sure if it was in this thread or another, but someone said Trump would re-institute slavery if he could get away with it. He's getting away with it.
Old 5th December 2019, 04:33 PM   #2189
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I don't disagree, but at times it does comes down to a fight. Non violence does not always work.
We only had one massive breakdown in our (The USA) history where it came down to real serious violence;The Civil War. The question is are we in a similar situation right now.
We will need to be smart and strategic. Random ideas that occur to me (which may lack the aforementioned properties)... Shut down every street block in the country that has a Trump Hotel. That should be pretty easy. Protesters driven away by the law? Back the next day. Fill up the prisons. Shut down entire downtowns. Unload all stock holdings. Withdraw all cash. Massive tax disobedience. Every congressional dem resigns. West coast threatens to secede. West coast secedes. Don't buy My Pillow. Etc.

Last edited by varwoche; 5th December 2019 at 04:40 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 04:47 PM   #2190
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Not sure if it was in this thread or another, but someone said Trump would re-institute slavery if he could get away with it. He's getting away with it.
To be clear on that, incidentally -

How U.S. Immigration Law Enables Modern Slavery

By tying workers’ residence status to an employer, the visa system leaves many of them vulnerable to exploitation.

There's been a problem for quite a while in a few aspects of US law, especially when it comes to imprisoned people and non-citizens here to work legally (let alone the illegals that were largely attracted by unsavory Republicans offering them jobs and opportunity). That, I don't blame on Trump. The Trump Administration's efforts to exacerbate the problems by making it ever easier to exploit, silence, and effectively enslave the already vulnerable people, however, I do.

Last edited by Aridas; 5th December 2019 at 04:53 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 05:54 PM   #2191
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
To be clear on that, incidentally -

How U.S. Immigration Law Enables Modern Slavery

By tying workers’ residence status to an employer, the visa system leaves many of them vulnerable to exploitation.

There's been a problem for quite a while in a few aspects of US law, especially when it comes to imprisoned people and non-citizens here to work legally (let alone the illegals that were largely attracted by unsavory Republicans offering them jobs and opportunity). That, I don't blame on Trump. The Trump Administration's efforts to exacerbate the problems by making it ever easier to exploit, silence, and effectively enslave the already vulnerable people, however, I do.
And that was 2.5 years ago. I expect it's only gotten worse.
Old 5th December 2019, 06:15 PM   #2192
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

We will need to be smart and strategic. Random ideas that occur to me (which may lack the aforementioned properties)... Shut down every street block in the country that has a Trump Hotel. That should be pretty easy. Protesters driven away by the law? Back the next day. Fill up the prisons. Shut down entire downtowns. Unload all stock holdings. Withdraw all cash. Massive tax disobedience. Every congressional dem resigns. West coast threatens to secede. West coast secedes. Don't buy My Pillow. Etc.
Problem is all those steps will result in violence.
West Coast seceding is amusing;will they fire on Alcatraz, which is owned by the Feds, as the first act of the war?

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 5th December 2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 5th December 2019, 06:17 PM   #2193
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Old news. GOt huge coverage yesterday.
But yeah, Donnie behaved like a ten year old kid picking up his marbles and going home because he was losing....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th December 2019, 06:32 PM   #2194
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Problem is all those steps will result in violence.
West Coast seceding is amusing;will they fire on Alcatraz, which is owned by the Feds, as the first act of the war?
Not so fast. If the resistance is large enough, withdrawing all cash, unloading all stock, and refusing to pay income tax would bring the US economy to its knees. It would effectively shut down the country. Those are non-violent measures that do not invite a violent response. It perplexes me how you overlook this in your reply.

The other measures invite a violent response, but that doesn't mean the resistance needs to be violent. But yeah, succession probably isn't a good idea if the goal is non violence.

I realize these are extreme proposals. Taking up arms is even more extreme.
Old 5th December 2019, 07:45 PM   #2195
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Old news. GOt huge coverage yesterday.
But yeah, Donnie behaved like a ten year old kid picking up his marbles and going home because he was losing....
I was only putting two and two together, maybe you missed that.

Space Force.
Old 5th December 2019, 08:34 PM   #2196
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

That's a terrible translation.

Unless, perhaps, the target language isn't English but has lots of words spelled the same as English.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 08:52 PM   #2197
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

British Writer Pens The Best Description Of Trump I've Read
Quote:
Someone on Quora asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?" Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote the following response:

A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed...

Space Force.
Old 5th December 2019, 09:11 PM   #2198
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

How would that help in any way?
Old 5th December 2019, 09:13 PM   #2199
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

So who is going to be shooting at whom? We are not geographically divided.

ETA
If the ant-intellectuals get violent, they will shoot people who say “whom.”

Last edited by Ladewig; 5th December 2019 at 09:24 PM.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 09:49 PM   #2200
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
How would that help in any way?
The context is a future scenario where democracy has broken down so completely that armed resistance is thought to be warranted, but I propose otherwise. Congress is a charade and only serves to prop up the Ivanka Trump "presidency". There's no reason to play the charade. People who are for democracy are part of the resistance.

Or something like that. These are random thoughts involving a dystopian future.

My point is, we shouldn't be so eager to to leap into armed resistance. There are other options.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics