IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancel culture

Old 5th February 2023, 04:12 PM   #2881
Stout
Philosopher

Oh crap. Despite all the "harm" it's supposed to cause the attempted cancellation of Hogwart's Legacy appears to have faltered, sputtered, died by the side of the road, and hauled off to be crushed.

Forbes
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 06:37 AM   #2882
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Any and all mistakes are firing offenses, got it.

Totally not cancel culture.
Even by your normal standards, that was a hilariously bad bait and switch. You asked how the thing you yourself said was a mistake could have possibly been a bad look, I pointed out how you had tripped over your own argument, and you jumped to this strawman of my arguments that <spoiler> already applies to everyone not in your ivory tower anyway.

As already pointed out, if you wish to argue that worker protections should be strengthened, or the social safety net, we agree. But when your only concerns are for the already protected people well off enough that they don't need a safety net, it gets obvious that the safety net or worker protections are not your real concerns.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 06:40 AM   #2883
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Oh crap. Despite all the "harm" it's supposed to cause the attempted cancellation of Hogwart's Legacy appears to have faltered, sputtered, died by the side of the road, and hauled off to be crushed.

Forbes
Oh noes, another cancellation that wasn't. This continued braying of examples that disprove your belief in cancel culture while being apparently oblivious to how they do so continues to amuse.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 06:42 AM   #2884
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Not entirely sure what Google shows over there, tbh.

Though I'm now also not sure what would you define as "cancel culture." At the end of the day that's what it boils down to: some numpties are whining about how X is a horrible person because he/she/it disagrees with them. Or as in this case just isn't interested in validating their pet peeve. Usually without any kind of success when it comes to cancelling them (especially when it comes to a self-employed streamer, WHO would fire him?) But just because a bully isn't actually successful in silencing someone, doesn't mean that the intent wasn't there.
As someone who has been in this thread whining about how people who dislike what you like are horrible people/the Taliban/literal Nazis, you might want to look in the mirror.
Old 6th February 2023, 08:09 AM   #2885
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Oh noes, another cancellation that wasn't. This continued braying of examples that disprove your belief in cancel culture while being apparently oblivious to how they do so continues to amuse.
Agreed, it is highly amusing watching the attempted cancellation of the Harry Potter series getting kicked squarely in the gonads by the boot of public opinion yet again. After the runaway success of my first novel Harry Potter vs the Pissed Off Christians, keep your eyes peeled for my forthcoming follow up work Harry Potter vs the Pissed Off Trannies.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 08:58 AM   #2886
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

As even one of the most fervent believers in "cancel culture" now agrees that his own examples disprove his claims, I maintain hope that other reactionaries will stop whining about their privileged icons ever possibly facing watered down consequences of their own choices. Or the 'podcasts should be made forever even if those making them no longer want to do it' thing.

But I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 6th February 2023, 10:07 AM   #2887
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Agreed, it is highly amusing watching the attempted cancellation of the Harry Potter series getting kicked squarely in the gonads by the boot of public opinion yet again. After the runaway success of my first novel Harry Potter vs the Pissed Off Christians, keep your eyes peeled for my forthcoming follow up work Harry Potter vs the Pissed Off Trannies.
Thank you for once again confirming that, for the most part, the system works and there is nothing problematic happening on a significant enough level to call it a “culture”.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2023, 01:04 AM   #2888
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

In late breaking cancellation news, a couple more of my fav podcasts are on the chopping block.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenArgs/co...andrew_torrez/
So "Opening Arguments" was for the chopping block, and Andrew Torrez was "cancelled" by MSW Media...

Coulda fooled me...

https://openargs.com/oa688-oh-no-the-privilege-is-mine/

So much for cancel culture eh d4m10n

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2023, 09:03 AM   #2889
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

He was indeed cancelled from his co-hosting role at MSW, to be replaced soon. The replacement pick is experienced and erudite, so this might not be so bad.

I stand corrected on whether the Opening Arguments podcast will go on...for now. There is at least some reason to believe it will have to rebuild from scratch given a very sharp decline in financial support.

ETA:

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th February 2023 at 09:13 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2023, 09:24 AM   #2890
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

He was indeed cancelled from his co-hosting role at MSW, to be replaced soon. The replacement pick is experienced and erudite, so this might not be so bad.

I stand corrected on whether the Opening Arguments podcast will go on...for now. There is at least some reason to believe it will have to rebuild from scratch given a very sharp decline in financial support.

ETA:
OMG, people are no longer giving money to the podcast you like? How very dare they! Why, there should be a law forcing people to pay for what d4m10n likes! Otherwise it's cancel culture!
Old 10th February 2023, 09:37 AM   #2891
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Why, there should be a law forcing people to pay for what d4m10n likes!
Every time you pull out this trope I ask you the same question: Who said anything about lawmaking?
Old 10th February 2023, 09:44 AM   #2892
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Every time you pull out this trope I ask you the same question: Who said anything about lawmaking?
Ok. What is your proposal to force people to pay for the content you like when they no longer wish to pay for it?
Old 10th February 2023, 10:20 AM   #2893
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

What is your proposal to force people to pay for the content you like when they no longer wish to pay for it?
Who threatened to use force?
Seems we're stuck in a do loop.
Old 10th February 2023, 10:23 AM   #2894
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Seems we're stuck in a do loop.
Yep. The one where you pretend force has only one meaning while you whine that people not paying for content they don't want is "cancel culture".
Old 10th February 2023, 10:26 AM   #2895
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Here (once again) is the definition of cancel culture:
Quote:
Cancel culture refers to the popular practice of withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive. Cancel culture is generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming.
People are demonstrably withdrawing support from the show, after the main host did and/or said something objectionable or offensive.
Old 10th February 2023, 10:34 AM   #2896
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

People are demonstrably withdrawing support from the show, after the main host did and/or said something objectionable or offensive.
And to fix this, d4m10n proposes...?

You want people to be compelled in some way to continue to support what you like. Here's a better idea: why don't you complain about the main host doing the bad thing that drove away his supporters, rather than complaining that people don't like it when someone does a bad thing.
Old 10th February 2023, 11:03 AM   #2897
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

You want people to be compelled in some way to continue to support what you like.
What have I ever written that gave you this idea?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 10th February 2023, 11:11 AM   #2898
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That’s called boycotting - a term in use since the 19th century - Interesting etymology: “the name of Captain Charles C. Boycott (1832–97), an Irish land agent so treated in 1880, in an attempt instigated by the Irish Land League to get rents reduced…”
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2023, 11:12 AM   #2899
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah. It's giving something that always been a thing a new, scary name when its used against you. We established 73 pages ago and nobody has argued differently.
Old 10th February 2023, 11:18 AM   #2900
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Pretty much every time you complain that your preferred content isn't making enough money and that's Cancel culture ooooooh.

Let's circle back to my suggestion that you snipped for some (totally obvious) reason: Why don't you complain about the hosts of your shows doing the bad things, rather than the fact that people don't want to pay for the bad things they don't like?
Old 10th February 2023, 11:33 AM   #2901
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, that is actually "Consequence Culture".

Its good to see consequences for people who behave objectionably, such as when they commit sexual harassment, and I fully support those who choose to visit consequences on such people.

When businesses pull their advertising on TV shows such as Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour, or Laura Ingraham's The Ingraham Angle, that's not "cancelling" that's "consequences". That's the businesses exercising their right not to have their brand and good name associated with a pair of racist douchebags. The same applies here... those people who no longer support Torrez are exercising their right to impose consequences on him for his behaviour. I support those rights, and I always will.

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2023, 11:38 AM   #2902
johnny karate

What is your proposal to address this issue? Please be specific.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2023, 11:41 AM   #2903
johnny karate

You also claimed that what happened to the adjunct professor at Hamline was an example of “cancel culture”, despite not meeting certain conditions of the aforementioned definition. The term seems quite malleable in your usage of it, to the point of being functionally meaningless.
Old 10th February 2023, 12:49 PM   #2904
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
You also claimed that what happened to the adjunct professor at Hamline was an example of “cancel culture”, despite not meeting certain conditions of the aforementioned definition.
Which conditions were not met?

What is your proposal to address this issue? Please be specific.
I've already mentioned "self-restraint in the face of outrage gone viral," and you've already replied to that series of posts, so you can probably guess what my proposal would be.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Nope, that is actually "Consequence Culture".
You should write in and have the dictionary editors consider your suggestion; perhaps they were mistaken about which phrase people have been using to describe this phenomenon.

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th February 2023 at 12:55 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2023, 01:13 PM   #2905
johnny karate

What support was withdrawn? How was social media or group shaming involved?

Quote:
I've already mentioned "self-restraint in the face of outrage gone viral," and you've already replied to that series of posts, so you can probably guess what my proposal would be.
You must have missed the part where I requested that you be specific. Generic and nebulous platitudes do not meet that requirement. What parameters determine restraint? Who is establishing those parameters?
Old 10th February 2023, 01:17 PM   #2906
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Most of them, from what I can see: withdrawing support, social media, group shaming

At what point should the instigators of the bad acts be held to the "self-restraint" standard? I would suggest before they chose to publicly do a bad act which caused people to lose interest in them. But hey, you'd rather blame people for reacting negatively to bad acts than blame the people who actually did the bad acts.
Old 10th February 2023, 04:19 PM   #2907
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

From the website of 'The Foundation for Individual Rights & Expression', another campus blasphemy case from Minnesota.

But this time both the both the transgressor and 'victim' are members of what the Woke call the 'Muslim Race'.

The cause, the means used to support the Iranian Protests, the result, artworks covered by black curtains so that none may see them and be harmed by the sight.

Again this is probably more 'Censorship Culture', but I thought it worth mentioning.

Quote:
On the heels of a national controversy over blasphemy and art at nearby Hamline College, now St. Paul, Minnesota’s Macalester College is mired in its own dispute over artistic imagery and religious offense, complete with a “content warning” and black curtains temporarily censoring artwork.

On Jan. 27, an exhibit by Iranian-American artist Taravat Talepasand opened at the college’s Law Warschaw Gallery, the culmination of conversations taking place between Talepasand and the college since 2019. The exhibit, TARAVAT, comments on a range of issues related to gender and religious and political power.

https://www.thefire.org/news/yet-ano...nian-americans

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2023, 04:23 PM   #2908
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's giving something that always been a thing a new, scary name when its used against you. We established 73 pages ago and nobody has argued differently.
We established that the phrase was coined and popularized on black twitter, by people who were not having it used against them. Go back and have a look.

What support was withdrawn?
Institutional support in the form of a platform and lectern, not to mention a stipend.

How was social media or group shaming involved?
I'm unsure about that. While cancel culture is "generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming," I would not assume that this is an essential part of the definition. Some cancellations come from within the institutions themselves, as when Slate parted ways with Pesca or when Gimlet did the same with Pinnamaneni & Vogt.

What parameters determine restraint?
I pasted in an entire paragraph from Hamline U. about how they balance academic freedom and the felt need not to give offense. I'd say those are the most relevant parameters in this case, and that the university failed to live up to their own stated principles.

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th February 2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10th February 2023, 04:23 PM   #2909
johnny karate

Originally Posted by El Greco View Post
Quote:
A Dutch production of the Samuel Beckett play "Waiting for Godot" was canceled because the show's Irish director only allowed men to audition, despite Beckett clearly stating that the cast should be five men.

The play, which features two central male characters Vladimir and Estragon who are joined by other male characters as they wait for someone who never arrives, had been in rehearsals since November.

It was due to be staged at the University of Groningen’s Usva student cultural center in March, but the production was canceled when the venue discovered the casting call had been open to men only.

The venue subsequently informed the production team that the male-only casting call went against the university's inclusivity policy.
Cancel culture isn't real.
How does this qualify as “cancel culture” per the definition that you provided?
Old 10th February 2023, 04:24 PM   #2910
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
From the website of 'The Foundation for Individual Rights & Expression', another campus blasphemy case from Minnesota.

But this time both the both the transgressor and 'victim' are members of what the Woke call the 'Muslim Race'.

The cause, the means used to support the Iranian Protests, the result, artworks covered by black curtains so that none may see them and be harmed by the sight.

Again this is probably more 'Censorship Culture', but I thought it worth mentioning.

https://www.thefire.org/news/yet-ano...nian-americans
Who or what was “cancelled” here?
Old 10th February 2023, 04:33 PM   #2911
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

How does this qualify as “cancel culture” per the definition that you provided?
No idea. I was commenting on a comment which you left out.
Old 10th February 2023, 06:22 PM   #2912
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

What support was withdrawn? How was social media or group shaming involved?

You must have missed the part where I requested that you be specific. Generic, nebulous and self-serving platitudes do not meet that requirement. What parameters determine restraint? Who is establishing those parameters?
Added to that for you

Old 10th February 2023, 08:00 PM   #2913
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The play maker will not be canceled: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/m...-incident/amp/

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2023, 08:35 PM   #2914
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

"Other Muslim students, not in the course, supported the student, saying the class was an attack on their religion. They demanded that officials take action."

https://nyti.ms/3Xe7oZH

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th February 2023 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11th February 2023, 02:42 AM   #2915
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"Other Muslim students, not in the course, supported the student, saying the class was an attack on their religion. They demanded that officials take action."

Ah, Muslim students are not allowed to support each other... got it!

Old 11th February 2023, 09:27 AM   #2916
johnny karate

No idea. I was commenting on a comment which you left out.

Okay, here’s the comment:
Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
I welcome the fact that the play was shelved in this case.

How is that “cancel culture”?
Old 11th February 2023, 09:29 AM   #2917
johnny karate

Old 11th February 2023, 09:41 AM   #2918
johnny karate

Institutional support in the form of a platform and lectern, not to mention a stipend.
Meaning simply that the professor didn’t have their contract renewed. There was no widespread withdrawal of support. If anything, the professor gained support from this incident. Agreed?

Quote:
I'm unsure about that. While cancel culture is "generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming," I would not assume that this is an essential part of the definition. Some cancellations come from within the institutions themselves, as when Slate parted ways with Pesca or when Gimlet did the same with Pinnamaneni & Vogt.
So just the mere act of losing a job can be “cancel culture” absent any other associated characteristics, correct?

Quote:
I pasted in an entire paragraph from Hamline U. about how they balance academic freedom and the felt need not to give offense. I'd say those are the most relevant parameters in this case, and that the university failed to live up to their own stated principles.
So you agree that private businesses and institutions should be allowed to set their own standards (within the law) and as long as those standards (or any laws) are not violated, it really shouldn’t be anyone else’s concern how they handle these matters, correct?
Old 11th February 2023, 09:59 AM   #2919
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The play maker will not be canceled: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/m...-incident/amp/
“I’m a victim of cancel culture!” a wealthy and famous man tells a major media outlet.
Old 11th February 2023, 11:21 AM   #2920
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Meaning simply that the professor didn’t have their contract renewed. There was no widespread withdrawal of support. If anything, the professor gained support from this incident.
"Muslim students...demanded that officials take action," and the officials subsequently dropped the professor. Was this withdrawal of support widespread? I'm not sure why that should matter at this point.

So you agree that private businesses and institutions should be allowed to set their own standards (within the law) and as long as those standards (or any laws) are not violated, it really shouldn’t be anyone else’s concern how they handle these matters, correct?
Nope. I think it is just fine for us to discuss such matters on a discussion board.

How is that “cancel culture”?
How is it cancel culture to welcome the cancellation of a stage play? Let's go through it step-by-step.

1) Withdrawing support: People hoping to get the production of the play cancelled.

2) Public figure: That would be the playwright in this case, possibly along with his enablers.

3) Something considered offensive: Creating a stage play with only male actors.

Last edited by d4m10n; 11th February 2023 at 11:32 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events