IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 1st February 2023, 01:24 PM   #3321
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Remember the show, "Night Gallery"?
Rod Serling.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st February 2023, 03:46 PM   #3322
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Rod Serling.
Yeah, that guy. I think that picture is a major contender if Night Gallery is ever revived.
Old 5th February 2023, 07:43 AM   #3323
Tero
Illuminator

This may represent the trend.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/05/polit...024/index.html

However, Trump was able to capture the disgruntled class so the big money had less effect in 2016. But I believe Trump had his moment in 2016. Those voters, the base, affected the outcome in 2020.

Now we see the Koch money as more effective than 2016 or 2020.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 03:18 PM   #3324
mgidm86
Philosopher

Rod Serling.

Rod is tripping on the size of Pope Trump's hands.

Again, what the hell is that thing? I mean is that painting or whatever...real?

People actually think that is like, good? Dude...
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 07:43 PM   #3325
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Family found dead in Pennsylvania made a 'joint decision' to kill themselves, police say

Morgan Daub, 26, and her parents, James Daub, 62, and Deborah Daub, 59, were found dead in the backyard of their home in York County, in what police say was a suicide pact.

Feb. 3, 2023, 6:19 PM EST

A Pennsylvania family found shot dead in their backyard last week in what police say appears to be a suicide pact, included a mother and daughter who loved bowling and were devout Christian conservatives, people who knew them said.

Morgan Daub, 26, and her parents, James Daub, 62, and Deborah Daub, 59, were found dead on the ground in the backyard of their home in York County, Pennsylvania, on the morning of Jan. 25, after police responded to a request for a welfare check from a neighbor.

The West Manchester Township Police Department has since said that notes left inside the house indicate that the family recently made a "joint decision" to end their lives. Police believe Deborah Daub shot and killed her husband and then was shot and killed by Morgan, who died by suicide. Police said there were no signs of forced entry or struggle and no evidence that anyone else had been present.

Stabley said the Christian, churchgoing family “was never shy about letting anybody know what their beliefs were” when it came to religion and politics. Morgan and Deborah “very, very huge” supporters of former President Donald Trump, Stabley said.

“They were just so hell-bent on Trump winning, like this could be in the end if he doesn’t,” Stabley said, referring to an instance when he saw them just before the 2020 election. He said he stopped seeing the two after that.

A neighbor, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of personal or professional retaliation in their town, said the family had a "preoccupation with religion, especially on the dad’s part." The family's front yard was also "littered" with Pro-Trump political signs during the elections, and anti-abortion signs when Roe v. Wade was overturned, the neighbor said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-say-rcna69060
Old 6th February 2023, 01:04 AM   #3326
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Family found dead in Pennsylvania made a 'joint decision' to kill themselves, police say

Morgan Daub, 26, and her parents, James Daub, 62, and Deborah Daub, 59, were found dead in the backyard of their home in York County, in what police say was a suicide pact.

A Pennsylvania family found shot dead in their backyard last week in what police say appears to be a suicide pact, included a mother and daughter who loved bowling and were devout Christian conservatives, people who knew them said.

Morgan Daub, 26, and her parents, James Daub, 62, and Deborah Daub, 59, were found dead on the ground in the backyard of their home in York County, Pennsylvania, on the morning of Jan. 25, after police responded to a request for a welfare check from a neighbor.

The West Manchester Township Police Department has since said that notes left inside the house indicate that the family recently made a "joint decision" to end their lives. Police believe Deborah Daub shot and killed her husband and then was shot and killed by Morgan, who died by suicide. Police said there were no signs of forced entry or struggle and no evidence that anyone else had been present.

Stabley said the Christian, churchgoing family “was never shy about letting anybody know what their beliefs were” when it came to religion and politics. Morgan and Deborah “very, very huge” supporters of former President Donald Trump, Stabley said.

“They were just so hell-bent on Trump winning, like this could be in the end if he doesn’t,” Stabley said, referring to an instance when he saw them just before the 2020 election. He said he stopped seeing the two after that.

A neighbor, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of personal or professional retaliation in their town, said the family had a "preoccupation with religion, especially on the dad’s part." The family's front yard was also "littered" with Pro-Trump political signs during the elections, and anti-abortion signs when Roe v. Wade was overturned, the neighbor said.

Rare to find Trump supporters willing to act on their convictions.
Old 6th February 2023, 01:17 AM   #3327
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

>snip<

But it's not a cult.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Rare to find Trump supporters willing to act on their convictions.
Funny, but sadly, not true. Consider all the J6 insurrectionists who acted on their stupid convictions.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 03:17 AM   #3328
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Funny, but sadly, not true. Consider all the J6 insurrectionists who acted on their stupid convictions.
Hardly a proportional response if you believe that your election was stolen and you now live in a communist NWO dictatorship.
Old 6th February 2023, 01:20 PM   #3329
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Hardly a proportional response if you believe that your election was stolen and you now live in a communist NWO dictatorship.
I don't see the point. They were still acting on their convictions, albeit stupid.
Old 6th February 2023, 03:53 PM   #3330
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

All I can say is three fewer MAGidiots in the world is good.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 04:19 PM   #3331
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
COnsider it Evolution in action. A few less stupid genes to mess up the gene pool.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 11:02 PM   #3332
TofuFighter
Illuminator

From what I've read, their suicides were related to other difficulties, including the daughter's mental issues, and their political affiliations were incidental, which makes this arguably off topic. Insensitive comments about their deaths are unnecessary.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2023, 01:22 AM   #3333
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
From what I've read, their suicides were related to other difficulties, including the daughter's mental issues, and their political affiliations were incidental, which makes this arguably off topic. Insensitive comments about their deaths are unnecessary.
Their suicides may not be related to Trump's recent political defeats.

But the question is, did whatever psychological problems which lead to their suicides also cause them to support Trump or did they enter into fandom of his through relatively clear thought processes.

Given the rather callous nature of your typical MAGAchud (their "screw your feelings" mantra, labelling those on the political left "snowflakes"), I think it is natural for those who have been the target of right wing vitriol to be less than sympathetic when they encounter their own hardships.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2023, 02:50 AM   #3334
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Their suicides may not be related to Trump's recent political defeats.

But the question is, did whatever psychological problems which lead to their suicides also cause them to support Trump or did they enter into fandom of his through relatively clear thought processes.

Given the rather callous nature of your typical MAGAchud (their "screw your feelings" mantra, labelling those on the political left "snowflakes"), I think it is natural for those who have been the target of right wing vitriol to be less than sympathetic when they encounter their own hardships.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
For certain definitions of 'clear', surely?

Hans
Old 7th February 2023, 10:12 AM   #3335
dann
Penultimate Amazing

No, not really. Three MAGidiots realizing that they were wrong and embracing and dealing with reality would be good.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
COnsider it Evolution in action. A few less stupid genes to mess up the gene pool.
Am I right in assuming that this is your centrist genes talking? (Genes aren't stupid. (Some) people are.)

"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 7th February 2023 at 11:52 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2023, 12:03 PM   #3336
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
No, not really. Three MAGidiots realizing that they were wrong and embracing and dealing with reality would be good.

Am I right in assuming that this is your centrist genes talking? (Genes aren't stupid. (Some) people are.)

Agreed here. The real victory, the one that will make a real difference, will happen when minds change, not when people die.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2023, 03:27 PM   #3337
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think their religious and political beliefs were heavily intertwined. Someone who knew them said the family was “'never shy about letting anybody know what their beliefs were' when it came to religion and politics" and "that Deborah Daub and her daughter were 'hell-bent on Trump winning' the 2020 election, adding: 'Like this could be the end if he doesn't.'"
Old 7th February 2023, 04:25 PM   #3338
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Agreed here. The real victory, the one that will make a real difference, will happen when minds change, not when people die.
I'm going to respectfully disagree.

These people are NOT going to change their minds. They would rather die than change their minds, in this example.

I've gotten beyond exasperation with them, frankly. I do realise they have personal issues, but don't we all. Some of us have far bigger and often more momentous personal issues to deal with than these people. And yet we do not descend to thinking that the return of Donald Trump as POTUS is going to solve them all.

So if these people decide that offing themselves with their own gawd-given guns is the only option they think they have to Donald being re-crowned then I won't stand in their way and I wish them well on their journey to paradise.

Meanwhile, the world will be bereft of one more group of Trump-nuts that it never needed. And that is a nett gain.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2023, 04:40 PM   #3339
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Frankly, when Trump dies I'm going to celebrate.
Old 7th February 2023, 04:44 PM   #3340
mgidm86
Philosopher

If you kill yourself and family over this stuff then your mind is not going to be changed. This is true devotion. Not a lot of critical thought going on there.

"They loved bowling, were devout Christian conservatives and very very loyal Trump supporters."

It is tragic that my sympathy for such people has been stolen by the Republican Party. I care about the country, and I care that the Republicans and American conservatism does this to people.

But I cannot separate the believers from the party anymore. I have little sympathy for them, if any. A bunch of mindless zombies who want to end democracy are exactly that, regardless of how they got there and who they are, including my own family.

I'm not saying I am right to feel this way, I am saying this is what is happening. I care about the effect these people are having on our country, I do not care about them personally one bit.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2023, 06:28 PM   #3341
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I realize it's pie in the sky to expect many minds to change. It's what I wish not what I expect.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2023, 06:33 PM   #3342
mgidm86
Philosopher

I realize it's pie in the sky to expect many minds to change. It's what I wish not what I expect.

I know I hear you bro. Me too.
Old 7th February 2023, 09:34 PM   #3343
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

I fully expect on that day bars across America will quickly run short of beer, liquor, and wine and resort to serving Clorox.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 7th February 2023 at 09:35 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2023, 09:37 PM   #3344
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Bwhaaa ha ha ha!!!!!

Former President Donald Trump escalated his attacks on Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis Tuesday, seizing on a story that his rival for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination partied with underage students when he worked as a teacher...Trump reposted a photograph originally posted by a Truth Social member...The image showed what appeared to be DeSantis flanked by three young women that had been captioned, "Here is Ron DeSanctimonious grooming high school girls with alcohol as a teacher."

Ha ha ha ha!!!!

Republicans decided to stand by Trump and now he's showing he's willing to pretty much burn the party to the ground. And even if Trump fails to win the primary, his attacks will probably ruin any chance of the eventual nominee in the general election.

(I wonder if Moscow Mitch is secretly praying that the DoJ or Georgia DA get around to pressing charges against Trump, just to limit the damage he might do.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2023, 09:38 PM   #3345
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Quote:
I fully expect on that day bars across America will quickly run short of beer, liquor, and wine and resort to serving Clorox.
Why, do you think there will be an outbreak of covid?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th February 2023, 12:22 AM   #3346
TofuFighter
Illuminator

The old former guy hasn't moved back to Twitter yet, but is still posting on Truth* Social
Complaining about the fact that Club for Growth did not invite him to their donor retreat, he posted on the network:

“The Club For NO Growth, an assemblage of political misfits, globalists, and losers, fought me incessantly and rather viciously during my presidential run in 2016,”
“They said I couldn’t win, I did, and won even bigger in 2020, with millions of more votes than ‘16, but the Election was Rigged & Stollen.
“They asked to get together on Endorsements of candidates, we did, and had MANY WINS & NO losses. Relationship broke up over my Endorsement of certain great people in Alabama & Ohio. I won them all!”

All of the other Republicans who could possibly run were invited. Ouch.
I guess that they deserve all the stinging wit that trump could muster in calling them the "Club for NO Growth". The mind boggles.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2023, 12:40 AM   #3347
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Melania Trump in October 2019 sat in and watched the U.S. raid that led to the death of ISIS leader... Melania Trump joined several top-ranking officials to watch the raid from the Situation Room.

I know that the spouse of the president probably has to be granted some security clearance (although probably not top secret...). But allowing her to sit in on a major military oversight seems a bit... non-secure.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th February 2023, 01:58 AM   #3348
Susheel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Melania Trump in October 2019 sat in and watched the U.S. raid that led to the death of ISIS leader... Melania Trump joined several top-ranking officials to watch the raid from the Situation Room.

I know that the spouse of the president probably has to be granted some security clearance (although probably not top secret...). But allowing her to sit in on a major military oversight seems a bit... non-secure.
I think that was primarily to show his wife how much of a "manly man" he is. I have a feeling that his insecurity and Melania's growing indifference requires demonstrations like this, mainly to feed his own ego rather than for Melania.
Old 8th February 2023, 02:14 AM   #3349
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I think that was primarily to show his wife how much of a "manly man" he is. I have a feeling that his insecurity and Melania's growing indifference requires demonstrations like this, mainly to feed his own ego rather than for Melania.
I suspect it was a more mundane reason than that. He wanted someone he knew won't use big words and get cranky with him to explain to him what was going on with all the TV's and stuff. Or to get the remote to work properly.
Old 8th February 2023, 02:21 AM   #3350
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

The old former guy hasn't moved back to Twitter yet, but is still posting on Truth* Social
Complaining about the fact that Club for Growth did not invite him to their donor retreat, he posted on the network:

“The Club For NO Growth, an assemblage of political misfits, globalists, and losers, fought me incessantly and rather viciously during my presidential run in 2016,”
“They said I couldn’t win, I did, and won even bigger in 2020, with millions of more votes than ‘16, but the Election was Rigged & Stollen.
“They asked to get together on Endorsements of candidates, we did, and had MANY WINS & NO losses. Relationship broke up over my Endorsement of certain great people in Alabama & Ohio. I won them all!”

All of the other Republicans who could possibly run were invited. Ouch.
I guess that they deserve all the stinging wit that trump could muster in calling them the "Club for NO Growth". The mind boggles.

Mmmm, German cake...
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2023, 04:01 AM   #3351
SteveAitch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Mmmm, German cake...
Freudian slip? Can someone check if he has a young, good-looking German woman working for him...

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2023, 06:52 AM   #3352
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Rigged and Stollen sounds like a law firm that might represent him.
Old 8th February 2023, 12:08 PM   #3353
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BLOATUS
I have highlighted the bits I think were added or edited in Donny's original post, which was probably dictated. They sound more like Miller or Gorka than Trump.
Old 8th February 2023, 02:42 PM   #3354
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Old 8th February 2023, 02:57 PM   #3355
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2023, 05:55 PM   #3356
gypsyjackson
Master Poster

He’s made that Stollen spelling mistake a few times now. Q idiots were trying to analyse the secret ‘comms’, with some saying it represented an L, a loss for Biden at the hands of the White Hats.

Personally, I’m beginning to think maybe this Trump guy isn’t as bright as a cabbage.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2023, 06:49 PM   #3357
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
He’s made that Stollen spelling mistake a few times now. Q idiots were trying to analyse the secret ‘comms’, with some saying it represented an L, a loss for Biden at the hands of the White Hats.

Personally, I’m beginning to think maybe this Trump guy isn’t as bright as a cabbage.
One misspelling could be a typo but repeated misspellings are not. But Trump never admits he made a mistake, so "stollen" must be the correct spelling...the best spelling.
Old 9th February 2023, 02:10 AM   #3358
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post

Only just now???
Old 9th February 2023, 03:35 AM   #3359
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Only just now???
Pssst! ... Your irony meter seems to be off.
Old 9th February 2023, 03:44 AM   #3360
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Pssst! ... Your irony meter seems to be off.
Pssst! ... I returned serve.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics