IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th September 2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Nobody has got ghost, according to Quran.

Unlike the traditional Islamic doctrine which is under the influence of sects and hadith fabrications, in the real Islamic doctrine of the Quran people have NO ghosts/ souls/ spirits. People do NOT have a divine component, a soul, a spirit nor a ghost.

Everything created in the universe is material, physical and real, NOT an illusion. (for example the first man Adam was made from clay element and the jinn was made from fire element)

Heaven and Hell are NOT mental delusions. They are “physical” places created in another universe.

Unfortunately, terms such as soul- spirit (an immortal divine component, a ghost that can exist on its own without the body even after death) have succeed to enter Islam due to wrong translations -which are made under the influence of hadith fabrications- and Islamic mysticism (sufism). But in the original text of the Quran (Arabic version), they are NOT available.
In the Quran, people have “nafs”, which is the equivalent of “life energy”, “ego”, “character”. People are born, they die and they will be “physically” recreated in the Hereafter:

Does the human being think that We will not gather his bones? Indeed, We were able to make his fingertips (The Resurrection, 75: 3-4)

As also can be seen in the verses, people do NOT have souls/ spirits, they only have “nefs”, which dies together with the bodily functions. And as again can be understood from the verses “most” of the people will be recreated in the Judgment Day. We use the word “most” because there are some exceptions. The Quran gives the examples of very meritorious people, such as martyrs or prophets and on the other edge some deadly sinners, such as the Pharaoh who committed outrage to his people.

These exceptional people have already started to reap what they have sown. They are either rewarded in Heaven (physically) or punished in Hell (physically).

Examples to the righteous who go to Heaven immediately after their death:

· Do not count that those who are killed in the sake of God are dead. No, they are alive at their Lord receiving provisions. Happy with what God has granted them from His favor, and they rejoice for those who have yet to follow them. There is no fear over them nor do they grieve. (The Family of Imran, 3: 169-170)

· A man came running from the farthest part of the city, saying: "O my people, follow the messengers. Follow those who do not ask you for any wage, and are guided. Why should I not serve the One who initiated me, and to Him is your ultimate return? Shall I take gods besides Him? If the Gracious intends any harm for me, their intercession cannot help me in the least, nor can they save me. Then I would be clearly astray. I have acknowledged your Lord, so listen to me! It was said, "Enter Paradise." He said "Oh, how I wish my people only knew of what my Lord has forgiven me, and made me of the honored ones."We did not send down upon his people after him soldiers from the sky; for there was no need to send them down. For all it took was one scream, whereupon they were stilled. (36:20-29)

Example to the disbelievers who committed “deadly” sins and tyranny:

· So God protected him from the evil of what they schemed, while the people of Pharaoh have incurred the worst retribution. The fire, which they will be exposed to morning and evening, and on the day when the moment is established: "Admit the people of Pharaoh into the most severe of the retribution." (The Believer, 40: 45-46)

And the following verses refer to the common/ordinary people, possibly the majority of the disbelievers:

· The horn will be blown, whereupon they will rise from the graves rushing towards their Lord. They will say, "Woe to us. Who has resurrected us from our resting place? This is what the Gracious had promised. The messengers were truthful!" (Ya sin, 36: 51-52)

In the Quran the word “Spirit” only refers to the “Holy Ghost/Spirit” and to the messages It brought. For example:

We gave Moses the book, and after him, We sent the messengers. Later We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear proofs, and We supported Him with the Holy Spirit. Is it that every time a messenger comes to you with what your minds do not desire, you become arrogant? A group of them you deny, and a group of them you kill! (2:87)

Such messengers, We have preferred some to others; some of them talked to God, and He raised some of them in ranks, and We gave Jesus son of Mary the proofs and We supported him with the Holy Spirit. Had God wished, the people after them would not have fought after the proofs had come to them, but they disputed, some of them acknowledged and some of them did not appreciate. Had God wished they would not have fought, but God does whatever He wishes. (2:253)

God said, "O Jesus son of Mary, recall My blessings upon you and your mother that I supported you with the Holy Spirit; you spoke to the people in the cradle and in old age; and I taught you the book and the wisdom, and the Torah, and the Injeel; and you would create from clay the shape of a bird, then blow into it and it becomes a bird by My leave; and you heal the blind and the leper by My leave; and you brought out the dead by My leave. I have restrained the Children of Israel from you, that you came to them with proofs; but those who rejected amongst them said, "This is an obvious magic!" (5:110)

He sends down the angels with the Spirit by His command upon whom He wishes of His servants: "That you shall warn that there is no god but I, so be aware of Me." (16:2)

They ask you concerning the Spirit. Say, "The Spirit is from the command of my Lord, and the knowledge you were given was but very little.” (17:85)
It was sent down with the trusted Spirit. (26:193)

Possessor of the highest ranks, the One with the Throne. He sends the Spirit with His command upon whom He wills from His servants, so that they may warn of the day of Summoning. (40:15)

You will not find any people who acknowledge God and the Last day befriending those who oppose God and His messenger, even if they were their parents, or their children, or their siblings, or their tribe. For these, He decrees trust into their hearts, and supports them with a Spirit from Him, and He admits them into paradises with rivers flowing beneath, wherein they will abide. God is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him. These are the party of God. Most assuredly, the party of God are the winners. (58:22)

The day when the Spirit and the angels stand in line, none will speak unless the Gracious permits him and he speaks what is true. (78:38)

Some dangers of thinking that people have spirits/ souls:

- Having a belief that people have spirits often leads up to the sanctification of the humans. It leads people to associate himself / herself with God.

- It also contributes to building up a strong belief of spiritual evolution. As a result of this false belief, in order to evolve spiritually, people praise suffering and pain. When they encounter a disastrous situation, instead of getting out of it, they welcome it and take it as a reward. However, according to the Quran, the bad things that come to us are either to test us or a result of our sins, our own malignancy.

- Spiritualists regard life as a school where we, as students, learn and mature. These people maintain that suffering / pain is a must for spiritual evolution. Thus, it turns the evil into hidden heroes having a special (key) role in the spiritual evolution process. Those who can read between the lines can easily realize that it glorifies the evil (even Satan). Also spiritualists
tolerate the immoral behaviors of the ones who are not spiritually evolved (!)

- Belief in the spirits opens the door to reincarnation, which means that we will be different creatures (different gender, different personality, different appearance etc.) in our other lives (!) In other words, it means that a person that dies is gone forever, which is actually a very materialistic point of view again if you read between the lines.

- Some spiritualists think that death is something positive as spirit confined to the physical body will be set free and unite with God and become one. This deviant view also praises suicides.

- People, who believe that people have spirits, mostly swap the belief for the Judgment Day with reincarnation and thus, they reject the belief in reward and punishment in the afterlife and eliminate Heaven and Hell, attributing symbolic meanings to both. In addition, they adopt ascetic lifestyles and scorn the beauties, provisions God gives us (in this world and in the other world).

- People who believe in the spirits are more likely to be cheated by the jinns.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
People who believe in the spirits are more likely to be cheated by the jinns.
And people who believe in supernatural beings are more likely to be fooled by those who claim to speak for them.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

tl;dr

Also, BS.
Old 28th September 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
And people who believe in supernatural beings are more likely to be fooled by those who claim to speak for them.
Damn those jinns for fooling you.

I find it's gin that usually confoodals me.
Old 28th September 2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

The first person to mention an ostrich egg gets smacked.

*Smacks self*

D'oh! Dammit!
Old 28th September 2009, 06:27 PM   #6
aviolet4u
Critical Thinker

So we are supposed to be asleep until getting resurrected on judgement day? sounds like a very painful process..ouchies.

All the people who claim they see dead people are really seeing jinns? Those pesky little critters!
aviolet4u is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 01:00 AM   #7
slingblade

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
The first person to mention an ostrich egg gets smacked.

*Smacks self*

D'oh! Dammit!
Wizard's First Rule. And we both know you knew better.
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 01:04 AM   #8
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
Wizard's First Rule. And we both know you knew better.

Not true!

*Smacks self again*

D'oh! Dammit!
Old 29th September 2009, 02:14 PM   #9
JenseitsDavon
Thinker

Wall of Text crits you for 8748 (12,286 overkill).

You die.

[Release Spirit]
"With his new book, '<insert woo book>', <insert woo> strode bravely into the Forest of Science to do battle with the dragons whose names are Logic, Critical Thinking, and Reason. It is with greatest regret I inform you, ladies and gentleman, that the dragons won."
JenseitsDavon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 02:31 AM   #10
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Unlike the traditional Islamic doctrine which is under the influence of sects and hadith fabrications, in the real Islamic doctrine of the Quran people have NO ghosts/ souls/ spirits. People do NOT have a divine component, a soul, a spirit nor a ghost.

Everything created in the universe is material, physical and real, NOT an illusion. (for example the first man Adam was made from clay element and the jinn was made from fire element)

Heaven and Hell are NOT mental delusions. They are “physical” places created in another universe.

Unfortunately, terms such as soul- spirit (an immortal divine component, a ghost that can exist on its own without the body even after death) have succeed to enter Islam due to wrong translations -which are made under the influence of hadith fabrications- and Islamic mysticism (sufism). But in the original text of the Quran (Arabic version), they are NOT available.
In the Quran, people have “nafs”, which is the equivalent of “life energy”, “ego”, “character”. People are born, they die and they will be “physically” recreated in the Hereafter:

Does the human being think that We will not gather his bones? Indeed, We were able to make his fingertips (The Resurrection, 75: 3-4)

As also can be seen in the verses, people do NOT have souls/ spirits, they only have “nefs”, which dies together with the bodily functions. And as again can be understood from the verses “most” of the people will be recreated in the Judgment Day. We use the word “most” because there are some exceptions. The Quran gives the examples of very meritorious people, such as martyrs or prophets and on the other edge some deadly sinners, such as the Pharaoh who committed outrage to his people.

These exceptional people have already started to reap what they have sown. They are either rewarded in Heaven (physically) or punished in Hell (physically).

Examples to the righteous who go to Heaven immediately after their death:

· Do not count that those who are killed in the sake of God are dead. No, they are alive at their Lord receiving provisions. Happy with what God has granted them from His favor, and they rejoice for those who have yet to follow them. There is no fear over them nor do they grieve. (The Family of Imran, 3: 169-170)

· A man came running from the farthest part of the city, saying: "O my people, follow the messengers. Follow those who do not ask you for any wage, and are guided. Why should I not serve the One who initiated me, and to Him is your ultimate return? Shall I take gods besides Him? If the Gracious intends any harm for me, their intercession cannot help me in the least, nor can they save me. Then I would be clearly astray. I have acknowledged your Lord, so listen to me! It was said, "Enter Paradise." He said "Oh, how I wish my people only knew of what my Lord has forgiven me, and made me of the honored ones."We did not send down upon his people after him soldiers from the sky; for there was no need to send them down. For all it took was one scream, whereupon they were stilled. (36:20-29)

Example to the disbelievers who committed “deadly” sins and tyranny:

· So God protected him from the evil of what they schemed, while the people of Pharaoh have incurred the worst retribution. The fire, which they will be exposed to morning and evening, and on the day when the moment is established: "Admit the people of Pharaoh into the most severe of the retribution." (The Believer, 40: 45-46)

And the following verses refer to the common/ordinary people, possibly the majority of the disbelievers:

· The horn will be blown, whereupon they will rise from the graves rushing towards their Lord. They will say, "Woe to us. Who has resurrected us from our resting place? This is what the Gracious had promised. The messengers were truthful!" (Ya sin, 36: 51-52)

In the Quran the word “Spirit” only refers to the “Holy Ghost/Spirit” and to the messages It brought. For example:

We gave Moses the book, and after him, We sent the messengers. Later We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear proofs, and We supported Him with the Holy Spirit. Is it that every time a messenger comes to you with what your minds do not desire, you become arrogant? A group of them you deny, and a group of them you kill! (2:87)

Such messengers, We have preferred some to others; some of them talked to God, and He raised some of them in ranks, and We gave Jesus son of Mary the proofs and We supported him with the Holy Spirit. Had God wished, the people after them would not have fought after the proofs had come to them, but they disputed, some of them acknowledged and some of them did not appreciate. Had God wished they would not have fought, but God does whatever He wishes. (2:253)

God said, "O Jesus son of Mary, recall My blessings upon you and your mother that I supported you with the Holy Spirit; you spoke to the people in the cradle and in old age; and I taught you the book and the wisdom, and the Torah, and the Injeel; and you would create from clay the shape of a bird, then blow into it and it becomes a bird by My leave; and you heal the blind and the leper by My leave; and you brought out the dead by My leave. I have restrained the Children of Israel from you, that you came to them with proofs; but those who rejected amongst them said, "This is an obvious magic!" (5:110)

He sends down the angels with the Spirit by His command upon whom He wishes of His servants: "That you shall warn that there is no god but I, so be aware of Me." (16:2)

They ask you concerning the Spirit. Say, "The Spirit is from the command of my Lord, and the knowledge you were given was but very little.” (17:85)
It was sent down with the trusted Spirit. (26:193)

Possessor of the highest ranks, the One with the Throne. He sends the Spirit with His command upon whom He wills from His servants, so that they may warn of the day of Summoning. (40:15)

You will not find any people who acknowledge God and the Last day befriending those who oppose God and His messenger, even if they were their parents, or their children, or their siblings, or their tribe. For these, He decrees trust into their hearts, and supports them with a Spirit from Him, and He admits them into paradises with rivers flowing beneath, wherein they will abide. God is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him. These are the party of God. Most assuredly, the party of God are the winners. (58:22)

The day when the Spirit and the angels stand in line, none will speak unless the Gracious permits him and he speaks what is true. (78:38)

Some dangers of thinking that people have spirits/ souls:

- Having a belief that people have spirits often leads up to the sanctification of the humans. It leads people to associate himself / herself with God.

- It also contributes to building up a strong belief of spiritual evolution. As a result of this false belief, in order to evolve spiritually, people praise suffering and pain. When they encounter a disastrous situation, instead of getting out of it, they welcome it and take it as a reward. However, according to the Quran, the bad things that come to us are either to test us or a result of our sins, our own malignancy.

- Spiritualists regard life as a school where we, as students, learn and mature. These people maintain that suffering / pain is a must for spiritual evolution. Thus, it turns the evil into hidden heroes having a special (key) role in the spiritual evolution process. Those who can read between the lines can easily realize that it glorifies the evil (even Satan). Also spiritualists
tolerate the immoral behaviors of the ones who are not spiritually evolved (!)

- Belief in the spirits opens the door to reincarnation, which means that we will be different creatures (different gender, different personality, different appearance etc.) in our other lives (!) In other words, it means that a person that dies is gone forever, which is actually a very materialistic point of view again if you read between the lines.

- Some spiritualists think that death is something positive as spirit confined to the physical body will be set free and unite with God and become one. This deviant view also praises suicides.

- People, who believe that people have spirits, mostly swap the belief for the Judgment Day with reincarnation and thus, they reject the belief in reward and punishment in the afterlife and eliminate Heaven and Hell, attributing symbolic meanings to both. In addition, they adopt ascetic lifestyles and scorn the beauties, provisions God gives us (in this world and in the other world).

- People who believe in the spirits are more likely to be cheated by the jinns.
1- Spirit is revelation,

2- holy spirit (the angel messenger conveying the message, revelation angel)

3- and revelation book (Quran).

Spirit= revelation.

Let's give examples.

1- Revelation
Quran [15:29] "So when I perfect him, and blow of My Spirit in him, you shall fall prostrate to him."

2- Revelation Angel (Cebrail).
Quran 19:17. Thus, she kept herself in seclusion from people. Then We sent to her Our spirit, and it appeared before her in the form of a perfect man.

3- Revelation Book/Quran
Quran 42:52 And thus We have revealed to you an inspiration of Our command. You did not know what is the Book or [what is] faith, but We have made it a light by which We guide whom We will of Our servants. And indeed, [O Muhammad], you guide to a straight path -

spirit = revelation.
And basic verses in our body like Adam:

Quran 30:30So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah . That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

We are obliged to direct the truth through the verses inside.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 03:10 AM   #11
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

What does the Koran say about (thread) necromancy?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 04:09 AM   #12
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Can you essentially prove this using Bayesian statistics?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 04:33 AM   #13
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

1- Spirit is revelation,

blah blah blah
Why do you quote only yourself and never respond to other posters' criticisms? Is it because all you are here to do is preach?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 10:41 AM   #14
Leumas
Banned

Let's give examples.

1- Revelation
Quran [15:29] "So when I perfect him, and blow of My Spirit in him, you shall fall prostrate to him."

These verses prove that Allah is a disgusting tyrant and an unjust and unfair despot and a cheating lying racist.

2- Revelation Angel (Cebrail).
Quran 19:17. Thus, she kept herself in seclusion from people. Then We sent to her Our spirit, and it appeared before her in the form of a perfect man.

These verses prove that Allah is a licentious lascivious RAPIST and a disgusting monster.

3- Revelation Book/Quran
Quran 42:52 And thus We have revealed to you an inspiration of Our command. You did not know what is the Book or [what is] faith, but We have made it a light by which We guide whom We will of Our servants. And indeed, [O Muhammad], you guide to a straight path -

And these verses clinch it... your Allah is an IMBECILE on top of being a sordid fetid filth.

Quran 30:30So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah . That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

Yup... even further proof of the lies and mephitic stench that is Allah.

We are obliged to direct the truth through the verses inside.

Yup... you are peddling the truth indeed... that Allah is a cesspool of pernicious feces... THANKS... you did a good job of exposing the wriggling maggots feeding on the pile of putrid rotten scum that is your Allah.

And thanks for all those verses that definitively expose the sordidness of Allah.

Last edited by Leumas; 29th January 2023 at 10:44 AM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 11:50 AM   #15
sackett
Philosopher

It's been said of the heathen Northmen that "they thought everything was made of something." Thus, e.g., in one of their tales a huge demonic otter reared up out of the central fireplace in someone's hall, and people had to defeat it by hitting it over the head with benches and stools, eventually driving it back down into -- well, wherever it came from.

To good Christians, that story made no sense. They knew that you had to summon a priest to drive out demons and haunts and pukas and such by uttering holy words. A mere physical assault was useless!

Thus Emre and I conclude that the North men were pure, unpolluted Muslims who kept the old time religion! They're all up in Paradise by now, rogering virgins* and imbibing the celestial wine that maketh not drunk. Selah.

*Or raisins, depending on the translation. Don't hadith me, I'm doing the best I can.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 11:55 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It takes a special kind of talent, to trigger atheists with the claim that there's no such thing as a soul.
Old 30th January 2023, 03:10 AM   #17
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

AIUI there's no such thing as a ghost in Christianity either. The dead remain in their graves until Judgement Day, when they will be physically resurrected to inhabit the Kingdom of Heaven which will be established right here on earth (unless they don't meet the grade and get tossed into a pit of fire instead, of course). So Christians who tell their children that their deceased Granny is in Heaven and watching over them right now are not following the teachings of their church.
Old 30th January 2023, 03:53 AM   #18
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It takes a special kind of talent, to try to trigger atheists with the claim that there's no such thing as a soul.
That's why he fails.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2023, 07:11 AM   #19
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

One of the amazing things about the modern age is how easily one can revisit nonsensical religious ideas that are nearly fourteen years old and readily determine that these ideas are still just as nonsensical now as they were back then.
Old 30th January 2023, 08:34 AM   #20
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
...nonsensical religious ideas that are nearly fourteen years old...
...or fourteen hundred years old.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2023, 06:14 PM   #21
Crossbow

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
...or fourteen hundred years old.
Indeed!

You are quite correct.
Old 31st January 2023, 07:35 AM   #22
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

And In the Qur'an, the spirit word is passed in singular form. The word "ervah", which is a plural of spirit, never goes in verses. This gives us another proof of the absence of souls.
Old 31st January 2023, 07:38 AM   #23
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
What does the Koran say about (thread) necromancy?
Are you talking about séances?

It's the jinn who come in those séances.
Old 31st January 2023, 09:28 AM   #24
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

@Emre_1974tr How can our bodies physically exist in another universe while simultaneously doing duty as worm food in this one?
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2023, 09:49 AM   #25
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

So ghosts are not real, but jinns are?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2023, 10:07 AM   #26
Leumas
Banned

How do you know your Allah is not Jinn? Or Demon???
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2023, 11:08 AM   #27
Leumas
Banned

And In the Qur'an, the spirit word is passed in singular form. The word "ervah", which is a plural of spirit, never goes in verses. This gives us another proof of the absence of souls.
  1. It is Arwah (أَرْواح) not "ervah".... and that is a colloquialism modern word.
  2. There are words that are the same plural and singular... like Insan (إنسان)
  3. Arabic script being an ABJAD is flawed and incomplete and confusing... so the use of diacritics (Harakat حركات) will reveal that there indeed is a plural form of the word.
  4. If you notice the word AlRa-wh (ألرَوْح) is the singular form but AlRooh (ألرُّوح) is the plural form.
  5. Look at verses Q78:38 and Q70:4 both have the word being used to mean plural not singular, i.e. many queuing up with many angels.
  6. Look at Q15:29 (which you used in a previous post) and Q32:9 were it is clear that Allah does the job of blowing one of his plural spirits in every human.
  7. Also... there is another word which also means Soul or Spirit.... AlNafs (ألنَفْس)... and this has plural (ألأنفاس) see Q12:53, Q7:52, Q79:40 and Q89:27.

So... no... you are wrong...

Last edited by Leumas; 31st January 2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 31st January 2023, 12:52 PM   #28
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
So ghosts are not real, but jinns are?
Of course. They are/jinns physical creatures made of fire. They just have different abilities.
Old 31st January 2023, 01:10 PM   #29
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
@Emre_1974tr How can our bodies physically exist in another universe while simultaneously doing duty as worm food in this one?

The cells in your body are constantly renewing. Or your body is being renewed as the pieces of you fall to the ground (your fingernails or the first teeth that fall out). So the old dead body parts no longer belong to you.
Old 31st January 2023, 01:35 PM   #30
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The cells in your body are constantly renewing. Or your body is being renewed as the pieces of you fall to the ground (your fingernails or the first teeth that fall out). So the old dead body parts no longer belong to you.
This completely misses the point.

Yes, when I trim my fingernails I discard a portion of my body. They don't belong to me anymore in that sense, but there's still a very large part of me that still remains. It doesn't belong to me; it is me. You're being asked whether you, as a Muslim, believe in animistic dualism. Your subject line is trying to say that you don't. But if all of you is in a grave decomposing after you die, what part of you is dealing with the afterlife?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2023, 05:54 PM   #31
Crossbow

Of course. They are/jinns physical creatures made of fire. They just have different abilities.
How very true!

Jinns are made of fire and that why they can be so nice to have around during a barbecue and/or a cold, snowy day.
Old 31st January 2023, 07:31 PM   #32
Leumas
Banned

1. Where are they?
  2. Do you know what fire is?
  3. What ability does a fire have?
  4. Where are they hiding?
  5. Why can't we see them?
  6. Do you know the difference between fairy tales and reality?
Old 31st January 2023, 07:35 PM   #33
Leumas
Banned

So when the whole body is dead and buried 6 feet under... what is the "you" that is left behind and to whom now this dead rotting body does not belong any longer???
Old 31st January 2023, 09:36 PM   #34
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Emre is thinking of efreeti, which are from the elemental plane of fire. Djinn are from the elemental plane of air.

Of course, there's also the dao, from the elemental plane of earth, and the marid, from the elemental plane of water. That rounds out the class of elementals known as "genies".

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2023, 11:09 PM   #35
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

This discussion with Emre is, frankly, closer to a discussion of the abilities and powers of the characters in a game of Warcraft, or Dungeons and Dragons. It's not even "religion" any more.
Old 31st January 2023, 11:21 PM   #36
8enotto
Illuminator

I read up a bit on hindu and buddhist religions and this type of belief is common. I didn't know it spread into islam too.
They love thier collection of characters.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2023, 11:25 PM   #37
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Emre is thinking of efreeti, which are from the elemental plane of fire. Djinn are from the elemental plane of air.

Of course, there's also the dao, from the elemental plane of earth, and the marid, from the elemental plane of water. That rounds out the class of elementals known as "genies".
So this particular superstition is clearly rooted in the early, erroneous, belief that everything was made from four elements: fire, air, earth and water. But we now know that there are over a hundred elements, proving that the Qu'ran does not contain scientific knowledge that was not yet discovered ...

Oh hang on, sorry, wrong wilfully ignorant fundamentalist poster.
Old 1st February 2023, 08:46 AM   #38
sackett
Philosopher

'Nother jumprope song.

Jeenie
In the bottle
Jeenie
In the glass
Jeenie
In the bathtub
Washin'
His
Yass yass yass.

My sister
Knows a freedie
My auntie
Knows a dao
Mama knows
A marid
Oh boy and
HOW!

Burpee Shave

sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2023, 12:49 PM   #39
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
So this particular superstition is clearly rooted in the early, erroneous, belief that everything was made from four elements: fire, air, earth and water. But we now know that there are over a hundred elements, proving that the Qu'ran does not contain scientific knowledge that was not yet discovered ...

Oh hang on, sorry, wrong wilfully ignorant fundamentalist poster.
When the Djinn met the Phosphorus elemental (Fozzy?), they got on like a house on fire.
Old 1st February 2023, 01:57 PM   #40
sackett
Philosopher

The Chinese belief was in five elements: water, metal, fire, earth, and

WOOD.

What'll we call the djin of wood?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy