IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st February 2023, 02:31 PM   #41
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
This discussion with Emre is, frankly, closer to a discussion of the abilities and powers of the characters in a game of Warcraft, or Dungeons and Dragons. It's not even "religion" any more.
Emre, it seems, has a rather unique, perhaps even singular, take on his professed religion of Islam. Perhaps viewing it as a discussion of Emreism would keep you a little more on track.
Old 1st February 2023, 03:36 PM   #42
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
The Chinese belief was in five elements: water, metal, fire, earth, and

WOOD.

What'll we call the djin of wood?
Buzz Lightyear
Old 1st February 2023, 05:40 PM   #43
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Emre, it seems, has a rather unique, perhaps even singular, take on his professed religion of Islam. Perhaps viewing it as a discussion of Emreism would keep you a little more on track.
D&D makes more sense.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2023, 08:54 PM   #44
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

A "**********"?
Old 2nd February 2023, 02:12 AM   #45
Mojo
Mostly harmless

WOOD.

Henry Crun.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 02:23 AM   #46
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Henry Crun.
I got that.
Old 2nd February 2023, 03:41 AM   #47
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

WOOD.

An Oregonian, aka Sasquatch
Old 2nd February 2023, 05:55 AM   #48
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
The cells in your body are constantly renewing. Or your body is being renewed as the pieces of you fall to the ground (your fingernails or the first teeth that fall out). So the old dead body parts no longer belong to you.
That doesn't even begin to answer my question. Do our dead bodies get poofed into this new universe of yours and revived post mortem?

Because, let me tell you, I've been to a fair few wakes in my day and I've never seen the deceased disappear, not once.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:48 AM   #49
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I got that.

The djin of cardboard and string would be Bluebottle.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:10 PM   #50
Leumas
Banned

Saying that anything sentient is made of fire or air, exposes a sordidly egregious lack of knowledge of Chemistry and the Periodic Table and science altogether.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 04:06 PM   #51
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
That doesn't even begin to answer my question. Do our dead bodies get poofed into this new universe of yours and revived post mortem?

Because, let me tell you, I've been to a fair few wakes in my day and I've never seen the deceased disappear, not once.
Bodies like your old teeth. It has no connection to your living body.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 04:08 PM   #52
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

By the way, just because jinn are created from fire does not make them like fire. Just as our bodies created from mud/clay do not resemble earth.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 04:37 PM   #53
Leumas
Banned

By the way, just because jinn are created from fire does not make them like fire. Just as our bodies created from mud/clay do not resemble earth.

No... living beings are not created... let alone from mud or clay or fire.

Only ones who are abjectly benighted about Chemistry and Biology and REALITY believe this codswallop... like camel caravan pillagers from 1400 years ago....

Last edited by Leumas; 2nd February 2023 at 04:40 PM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 05:40 PM   #54
junkshop
Graduate Poster

I don't know 'bout you, but I ain't made of no mud, blood.

My mama done made me in her lady-belly, as the good lord intenid, hallyloojeh!. No clay required, no sir, not a speck.

A hunnerd p'sint hoomin meat, true an' proper. Thas why the mamas an' aunties do cook up an' eat up the grampy stew when one o' the old'uns karks it.

Af'rawl, if'n some pro-teen get wasted, Gawd gets quite irate, or so I'm tole.

Praise be, n'such.

Last edited by junkshop; 2nd February 2023 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Too subtle.
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 10:10 PM   #55
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

you/re made from semen and an egg cell
Old 3rd February 2023, 08:32 AM   #56
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

It sounds like you're preaching dualism. Are you trying to argue that Islam teaches an animistic dualism? Because if you are, your thread title makes no sense. The question asks what part of your being undergoes the afterlife if your body is still in the grave. If what's in the grave is not your essential self, then what is?

Non sequitur. Jinns are mythical creatures, so you can imagine any origin for them that you want. But human beings are not made from clay. This we can observe.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2023, 09:45 AM   #57
MarkCorrigan
Penultimate Amazing

But Jinn aren't real.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2023, 02:55 PM   #58
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
I don't know 'bout you, but I ain't made of no mud, blood.

Holy Quran
35:11 And [remember:] God creates [every one of] you out of dust, then out of a drop of sperm; and then He fashions you into either of the two sexes.
Old 3rd February 2023, 02:56 PM   #59
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
But Jinn .
They are Real.
Old 3rd February 2023, 04:37 PM   #60
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Holy Quran
35:11 And [remember:] God creates [every one of] you out of dust, then out of a drop of sperm; and then He fashions you into either of the two sexes.
Your book is wrong. That is not how humans are made.

I admit that my "lady-belly" description is somewhat less than scientific, but it's still a damn sight closer to reality than your (arguably misogynistic) fairy story.

Also, dust is not the same thing as clay and/or mud.

Last edited by junkshop; 3rd February 2023 at 04:50 PM.
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2023, 04:52 PM   #61
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
But Jinn aren't real.
They are Real.

Show me one.

Just one, I'm not greedy. Show me one Jinn.

Last edited by junkshop; 3rd February 2023 at 04:53 PM.
Old 3rd February 2023, 06:50 PM   #62
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Holy Quran
Factually false. We observe that it's factually false. Other Muslims interpret this verse figuratively.

They are Real.
Just as real as the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. You can believe in whatever you want, but it's an objective fact that there is testable evidence for the existence of a human organism and no such evidence for the existence of jinns.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2023, 08:11 PM   #63
Leumas
Banned

Holy Quran

That verse does not say dust (غبار)... it says DIRT (تُرَابٍ)... as in the stuff on/in the ground... which is not dust.

And other verses say Mud and Clay and Black Mud and Slimy Mud and Sticky Clay.... basically DIRT of different compositions.

What is missing in any of those compositions is Hydro-Carbons and Amino-Acids... which is what living things are REALLY made out of in addition to other elements.

So nope... this verse proves that either Muhammad was a benighted consummate liar... or that the Demon/Djinn that tricked him had no idea what Biology and Chemistry are... or he deliberately lied to confound and befuddle the poor camel caravan pillager.

Wake up man... it is 2023... and you are using the APEX of science to expose around the globe how benighted your religion is.
Old 3rd February 2023, 08:15 PM   #64
Leumas
Banned

They are Real.
As real as Kali... and whatever Demon/Djinn tricked, 1400 years ago in a deserted desert cave, the wretched benighted camel caravan pillager....

Last edited by Leumas; 3rd February 2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 4th February 2023, 02:22 AM   #65
steenkh
Philosopher

Holy Quran

You need some serious sex education if you think this is how it happens!

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2023, 02:50 AM   #66
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

and;

Heaven is not paradise, it is universe:

https://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9611687.0
Old 5th February 2023, 01:03 AM   #67
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

and;

What has this to do with ghosts?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 02:00 AM   #68
Leumas
Banned

and;

Define "universe"?

What is the Arabic word for "universe" a.k.a. "heaven"? And can you cite the verses of the Quran where this word is used??

Are you familiar with the verse
  • Q2:22 Who has made the earth your couch, and the heavens your canopy; and sent down rain from the heavens; and brought forth therewith Fruits for your sustenance; then set not up rivals unto Allah when ye know (the truth).

Does rain come down from the "universe"?

Is the "universe" a canopy?

Are you familiar with thise verse
  • Q3:133 Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a Paradise whose width is that (of the whole) of the heavens and of the earth, prepared for the righteous

Heaven is not paradise, it is universe

As you can clearly observe... the Quran belies your assertion.... will you ever admit your error???

Last edited by Leumas; 5th February 2023 at 02:43 AM.
Old 5th February 2023, 02:58 AM   #69
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

The verses I gave are talking about living beings in other material universes. So it's not the spirit world, it's people like us who live in the material world, people who are in Paradise (Floor of Lord) right now.
Old 5th February 2023, 03:35 AM   #70
Leumas
Banned

The verses I gave are talking about living beings in other material universes. So it's not the spirit world, it's people like us who live in the material world, people who are in Paradise (Floor of Lord) right now.

And did you go there and see for yourself what they are like there???

How do you know Allah is not a lying lump of Demon droppings???

Last edited by Leumas; 5th February 2023 at 05:26 AM.
Old 5th February 2023, 03:38 AM   #71
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr
You do know that is pure heresy for Islam?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 05:05 AM   #72
steenkh
Philosopher

So … in other “material universes” (whatever that means) your God is busy creating people from mud and semen, whereas in our world, it is still done in the traditional way with eggs and semen?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 03:27 AM   #73
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

So it's not us in this new universe then. Unless you're claiming, contra your thread title, that we do have immaterial souls to contain our essences.

You're so bad at this debating malarkey that you can't even agree with yourself.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 07:26 AM   #74
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th February 2023, 07:54 AM   #75
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The verses I gave are talking about living beings in other material universes.
Now you're getting heretical, but that's not really my problem.

Quote:
So it's not the spirit world, it's people like us who live in the material world, people who are in Paradise (Floor of Lord) right now.
If the inhabitants of Paradise are not souls, and you're arguing there is no soul, then what is living in Paradise and what got left behind in the grave? You don't seem to understand the problem.
Old 6th February 2023, 09:58 AM   #76
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
If the inhabitants of Paradise are not souls, and you're arguing there is no soul, then what is living in Paradise and what got left behind in the grave? You don't seem to understand the problem.

The question seems at its core identical to the teletransporter question in philosophy. If a perfect duplicate of you including all memories is created in another location, is it okay if the original you is destroyed at the same time? Some (including myself) have argued that the result would be the same partially illusory continuity of conscious experience we commonly experience anyhow, and that they would be willing to use the transporter (at least, in the hypothetical case where it functions with perfect reliability and accuracy). Others of course disagree, and also present strong arguments (e.g. that the creation of a duplicate is irrelevant to the original individual who is killed in the process). Neither side of that argument requires a migrating soul to justify it, which Emre's position happens to coincide with.

In most religious narratives of resurrection or afterlife, a migrating soul is assumed, which does make the scenario different from the teletransporter ones.

If we assume no migrating soul and the resurrecting deity Emre depicts, the same way we assume the perfect teletransporter in philosophical arguments, then sure, I'd have no trouble accepting resurrection on those terms. (One difference from the teletransporter scenarios is that while using the device is usually assumed to be voluntary, my present self cannot opt out of dying eventually in any case.)

The real question is, which new material incarnation in another universe would I prefer to be re-created in: the one that contains no devout Muslims, or the one that contains only devout Muslims? And that question isn't difficult at all.

Last edited by Myriad; 6th February 2023 at 10:00 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2023, 05:18 AM   #77
catsmate
No longer the 1

Wrong. Shed tissue continues to carry the genetic imprint of the originator's body.

Garbage. Human bodies are not created from mud or earth. This is just stupid.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2023, 05:21 AM   #78
catsmate
No longer the 1

Holy Quran

Wrong as usual.Your "holy book" is nonsense, based on the knowledge of the primitives who wrote it.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2023, 06:33 AM   #79
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Old 8th February 2023, 05:52 PM   #80
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
We don't need such ghouls in our bodies anyway.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy