IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:52 PM   #121
Dcdrac
Philosopher

anders youtube can not be taken seriously as a back up for your fantasies
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:01 PM   #122
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
anders youtube can not be taken seriously as a back up for your fantasies
I'm curious about why experts want to do a reinvestigation about the tragic TWA 800 event. I don't believe they are completely deluded, plus mainstream media has reported about it, so something may be cooking. So I checked out some documentaries about it just to see what it's all about. And I checked one official report that said that large bombs and missiles had been ruled out. The official version may very well be correct in this case, but then the question is why some experts want a reinvestigation.
Anders Lindman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:05 PM   #123
Dcdrac
Philosopher

only some conspiracy nuts on coast to coast do and that is joke radio station for kooks
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:14 PM   #124
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

only some conspiracy nuts on coast to coast do and that is joke radio station for kooks
No, it's professional experts who want a reinvestigation. There must be SOME reason for why they want that. Seems really tricky since the official investigation looks genuine enough. That made me suspect that the experts are playing a part in some psyop as a test shot for something bigger to come.
Anders Lindman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:20 PM   #125
Twiggett
Thinker

Originally Posted by Anders Lindman View Post
I'm curious about why experts want to do a reinvestigation about the tragic TWA 800 event. I don't believe they are completely deluded, plus mainstream media has reported about it, so something may be cooking. So I checked out some documentaries about it just to see what it's all about. And I checked one official report that said that large bombs and missiles had been ruled out. The official version may very well be correct in this case, but then the question is why some experts want a reinvestigation.
I know nothing about the experts calling for a re-investigation but I can hazard one guess as to why they would: Money. It's possible that they are due to receive compensation for their part in the documentary that is tied to the proceeds the film generates. One way for them to increase interest in the film would be to create the impression that there is controversy about the conclusions reached by the NTSB and FBI. After all, why would we care to see the film if the experts involved in its making seemingly lack the confidence to call for a new investigation to test those beliefs?

To reiterate, I am not saying I have any knowledge of the people involved and everything in the preceding paragraph is pure speculation on my part.

-- Guy P. Harrison
Twiggett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:37 PM   #126
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Aha! Now I found something potentially suspicious. The official report said that the nose dived down while the back of the plane flew upwards. And it was this upward flight, the official version said, that witnesses had mistaken for a missile. Check out this image:

From: The Final Report: Investigation of TWA Flight 800 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9aAQSKyzPU

Notice how the smoke trace shows a smooth curved continuous down movement for the whole plane. Inconsistent with the official report!
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:54 PM   #127
chris lz
Thinker

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
Perhaps one of these missile proponents can explain why the human remains recovered and painstakingly analyzed do not support the missile theory.
I'd be curious to hear more on this. It has been said the vast majority of victims suffered instant broken necks at the moment of the CWT explosion.
chris lz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:51 PM   #128
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pteridine View Post
Fortunately someone else has written the report and "done the math." Here is the flammability study done specifically because of the flight 800 disaster. http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/ar98-26.pdf
Note figure 7. I helped you with this because you seemed at a loss to find it, yourself. Perhaps you are overly emoticonned.
The conclusion is that in spite of the many safety aspects of design, 'more study' is needed.
You may now avail yourself of your computer and look up 'fuel-air explosions' and discover that they are not likely to cleanly guillotine part of an airplane should they occur.
This will play out and we will either have another investigation or not. Don't get overly excited.
Snicker.

Read the Conclusions in that report. I have no idea what you think Figure 7 proves but it certainly does not support your case.

No missile damage: http://twa800.com/exhibits/missileanalysis.pdf
Old 22nd June 2013, 03:02 PM   #129
matt.tansy
Muse

Aha! Now I found something potentially suspicious.

Congratulations. Now you're only 16 years behind everybody else who had posted in this thread.
Old 22nd June 2013, 04:43 PM   #130
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pteridine View Post
Fortunately someone else has written the report and "done the math." Here is the flammability study done specifically because of the flight 800 disaster. http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/ar98-26.pdf
Note figure 7. I helped you with this because you seemed at a loss to find it, yourself. Perhaps you are overly emoticonned.
The conclusion is that in spite of the many safety aspects of design, 'more study' is needed.
You may now avail yourself of your computer and look up 'fuel-air explosions' and discover that they are not likely to cleanly guillotine part of an airplane should they occur.
This will play out and we will either have another investigation or not. Don't get overly excited.

Figure 7? Shows 800 was in the ignition zone, near rich. ... TWA 800 peak temperatures of 124 and 144°F (51 and 62°C) were recorded near the top
and bottom of the compartment, respectively. (same report) The report supports the fuel air could be ignited.

The CWT was over-pressured due to the fuel air explosion. That ruptured the part of the aircraft. Planes don't fly after parts are damaged.

The paper you show does not negate the most probable cause of 800 CWT rupture, and that was enough to "cleanly" guillotine the nose. Cleanly? lol

No big deal, the study you show was done to mitigate fuel air ignition.

The CWT was hot due to extended ground operation, the AC packs are right below the CWT. Further study is needed by the nuts who did the woo movie on 800, which EPIX paid them to be wooish.

There is no reason from the movie to do another investigation, the idiots who will show up in the movie already failed. Did you read the study you posted? What was the temperature of the CWT? Looks like the risk is high for ignition based on the conditions. Guess where the damage to the aircraft came from? CWT. The guys in the movie are not the experts at analyzing the damage, they were the helper guys, doing their jobs, but not much rational thinking if they show up in a movie of woo, rehashing old debunked nonsense.

Follow the Money; the CT here is selling woo. The free advertising is icing on the woo cake. It is funny how CTers are able to use the press to get free advertising for woo. Who knew?

Last edited by beachnut; 22nd June 2013 at 05:16 PM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 05:30 PM   #131
Axxman300
Philosopher

TWA 800 is permanently housed at the NTSB's facility at Ashburn, Loudoun County, Virginia, and is used to train new investigators.

So in all this time nobody has said "Hey, what's that?"

Uncovering the crime of the last century would be a feather in a new investigator's cap one would think.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:54 PM   #132
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
And the findings from the examination of the human remains recovered from the flight continues to be ignored...
Because it is inconvenient to the CTs. I've read of several cases where bombing was proven because they found high speed fragments in the bodies, distinctive 'shredded' amputations, residue from the explosives and in one early case part of the timing mechanism embedded in the body of the victim.

In related news this is being discussed on an aviation safety forum

http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=55171

The CTs seem to be winning at the last check.

For those who believe it was a missile, where did it come from, the air, the ground/sea or space?

Who fired it and from where?

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:09 PM   #133
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Because it is inconvenient to the CTs. I've read of several cases where bombing was proven because they found high speed fragments in the bodies, distinctive 'shredded' amputations, residue from the explosives and in one early case part of the timing mechanism embedded in the body of the victim.

Is that really an aviation safety forum? Looks more like an aviation safety section of a forum for people who like photos of jets.

Not impressed with that as a talent pool.
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:11 PM   #134
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

For those who believe it was a missile, where did it come from, the air, the ground/sea or space?

In one documentary (I don't have the link) they said that a small plane filled with explosives was steered towards TWA 800 by terrorists and that the U.S. Navy fired two missiles to shoot down the smaller plane which also caused TWA 800 to explode. Something like that. In another documentary they talked about the U.S. Navy having exercises in the area and a missile shot down TWA 800 by a horrible accident. And yet in another documentary they said that a fast-going boat left the area directly after the explosion and that those were terrorists who had used a missile.

So there is no consistency in the conspiracy theories. Something that may be suspicious about the official version though is that they say things like: there is no evidence of a direct contact hit by a missile, or: there is no evidence of a missile going through the plane. That sounds suspiciously like political talk to me. Because those statements could be true while a missile could have exploded near the plane.

Last edited by Anders Lindman; 22nd June 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:19 PM   #135
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

I wanted to log on and tell them to read the report. Reports.

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/summary/AAR0003.html

http://twa800.com/exhibits/missileanalysis.pdf

http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/ar98-26.pdf

Last edited by beachnut; 22nd June 2013 at 07:24 PM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:57 PM   #136
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm... Now I'm starting to find more evidence of a coverup. This is old news for those who have already looked into it, but the investigation found BOTH chemical residue consistent with explosives used in missiles AND other chemical residue consistent with solid rocket fuel used in missiles. The official explanation is that instead of solid rocket fuel it was glue, and the chemical residue from explosives was from a previous bomb sniffing exercise in the plane.

Plus some 90 witnesses had seen a missile/rocket type flare going up from the surface of the ocean up to hit the plane.

So maybe it WAS a missile after all.

If so, this could be a Pandora's box of government coverups!
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:39 PM   #137
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

In one documentary (I don't have the link) they said that a small plane filled with explosives was steered towards TWA 800 by terrorists and that the U.S. Navy fired two missiles to shoot down the smaller plane which also caused TWA 800 to explode. Something like that. In another documentary they talked about the U.S. Navy having exercises in the area and a missile shot down TWA 800 by a horrible accident. And yet in another documentary they said that a fast-going boat left the area directly after the explosion and that those were terrorists who had used a missile.
Which documentaries?

Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:41 PM   #138
matt.tansy
Muse

The explosive residue was pre-detonation compounds; no post-detonation residue was ever found. The chemical composition of an explosive is very different after it is detonated.

If you read the full descriptions given by the "missile" eyewitnesses, of those that mention hearing an explosion, they say they looked up, saw something streaking through the sky, saw it explode, and immediately or a few seconds later heard an explosion. Given their distance from the aircraft and the speed of sound in air, they should not have heard the explosion until 50 to 100 seconds later. The "missile" eyewitnesses who didn't mention hearing an explosion give similar sequence of events.
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:43 PM   #139
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Hmm... Now I'm starting to find more evidence of a coverup. This is old news for those who have already looked into it, but the investigation found BOTH chemical residue consistent with explosives used in missiles AND other chemical residue consistent with solid rocket fuel used in missiles. The official explanation is that instead of solid rocket fuel it was glue, and the chemical residue from explosives was from a previous bomb sniffing exercise in the plane.
I'm going to call JAQing off for this one, but when Partnair Flight 394 crashed in 1989 it was also speculated that a bomb or missile was involved. (The wikipedia article (really a transcript of the 'Mayday' episode "Blown Apart") on the crash covers this.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partnair_Flight_394

Old 22nd June 2013, 09:46 PM   #140
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

And the results of the detailed examinations of the human remains is still being ignored by the missile mavens...
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:41 PM   #141
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by matt.tansy View Post
The explosive residue was pre-detonation compounds; no post-detonation residue was ever found. The chemical composition of an explosive is very different after it is detonated.
But there were (at least) two different kinds of explosives found:

Source: Traces of 2nd explosive found in TWA debris -- http://www.cnn.com/US/9608/30/twa.pm/index.html
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:00 PM   #142
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Source: Traces of 2nd explosive found in TWA debris -- http://www.cnn.com/US/9608/30/twa.pm/index.html
From det cord used for bomb dog practice on 800 at an airport before the crash. oops, it was trace amounts, and where it was found was not exploded. The floor where it was found did not blow up. No explosives were found anywhere else, just the floor that did not explode, and trace levels which could not do anything. This stuff I just told you was why the trace was found, you posted the leak which news source added their own junk to. This is funny, you are exposing why people are confused, as your replay old reports which jumped the gun. Soon if you could find all the stuff, you would understand why it was the CWT... but you seem stuck on the false stuff. This is why the FBI had problems with the NTSB; the NTSB collects tons of junk, and then makes a decision, tons, being all the stuff about the plane, etc. like what the pilot ate, etc, details most people ignore... The FBI seems to be stuck with the eye witnesses on the missile, which the NTSB will listen to, but will analysis all the data before jumping on the missile theory;;; but then it would be the FBI alone, NTSB does not do crime.

But go ahead, ignore the reports you did not read and stick with woo. It is what you do.

You keep bringing up stuff refuted in this thread, and failing to read all the available information, evidence, and facts. What next?

Last edited by beachnut; 22nd June 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:11 PM   #143
Axxman300
Philosopher

So there is no consistency in the conspiracy theories. Something that may be suspicious about the official version though is that they say things like: there is no evidence of a direct contact hit by a missile, or: there is no evidence of a missile going through the plane. That sounds suspiciously like political talk to me. Because those statements could be true while a missile could have exploded near the plane.
Except that it didn't. The plane is on display it is viewed often. There is no damage consistent with a SAM of any kind.

While you are doing "research" look up Stingers used against the Soviets in Afghanistan and see how effective they really aren't. Only one large Antonov transport (similar in size to a 747) was brought down with one (allegedly), and it was hit as it was taking off.

The Navy has a thing for inventories and paperwork. Had they fired a missile all anyone would have to do is inventory the SAMs on the ships in the area, and cross-match their inventories with central supply. If a missile comes up missing you have your smoking gun. No missiles went missing. Firing a missile on a ship is a big deal, the entire crew knows about it and the other ships in the formation also see that baby cook off.

Nobody would have shut up about accidentally knocking a civilian jet out of the sky. I know this because the US Navy actually did that once. They shot down an Iranian 747 killing everyone on board. There was video of the incident within days shot from the bridge. Nobody denied anything.

The TWA 800 conspiracy is inconsistent with historical facts.

Last edited by Axxman300; 22nd June 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:24 PM   #144
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Except that it didn't. The plane is on display it is viewed often. There is no damage consistent with a SAM of any kind.
From about 6 minutes into this video they talk about a hit on the right wing:

Did U.S. Gov't Lie About TWA Flight 800? Ex-Investigators Seek Probe as New Evidence Emerges. 2 of 2 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAkIdb-DUYQ
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:32 PM   #145
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

On a second thought, I'm starting to have doubts about the claim of a spark in the fuel tank. As they said in the video I posted in my previous post, the wires going to the instruments in the tank were for very low voltage and currents. And even the other wires in other areas inside the plain only had 150 volts maximum (if I remember correctly). So even if there was some short circuit and the wire nylon isolation broken in the fuel tank, would it be possible to produce such spark? The video said that attempts to reproduce the spark by the investigators had failed.

If 150 volt is enough to cause a spark, then how about 12 volt? And then cars with little fuel in their tanks would go boom all over the place on a hot summer day. Haha. Maybe not a fair comparison, but just to illustrate my doubt.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:43 PM   #146
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

While you are doing "research" look up Stingers used against the Soviets in Afghanistan and see how effective they really aren't. Only one large Antonov transport (similar in size to a 747) was brought down with one (allegedly), and it was hit as it was taking off.

The Navy has a thing for inventories and paperwork. Had they fired a missile all anyone would have to do is inventory the SAMs on the ships in the area, and cross-match their inventories with central supply. If a missile comes up missing you have your smoking gun. No missiles went missing. Firing a missile on a ship is a big deal, the entire crew knows about it and the other ships in the formation also see that baby cook off.

Nobody would have shut up about accidentally knocking a civilian jet out of the sky. I know this because the US Navy actually did that once. They shot down an Iranian 747 killing everyone on board. There was video of the incident within days shot from the bridge. Nobody denied anything.
Good point, just one small thing, rather ironically Iran Air Flight 655 was an Airbus 300, it was the Russians who shot down a 747 and then asked all their 'useful idiots' to claim it was a spy plane.

Also, Anders, when are you going to get to the medical evidence.

Old 22nd June 2013, 11:48 PM   #147
matt.tansy
Muse

Best Evidence tested the spark theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkAlwB77nIs
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:52 PM   #148
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Best Evidence tested the spark theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkAlwB77nIs
Yes, I have seen that test. But what I started to have doubts about is the spark itself, not that the fuel could cause an explosion.

In the other video I posted they said that the investigators had failed to reproduce such spark using the electricity system and wires in such plane.

Best Evidence no doubt used voltages much higher than 150 volt to produce their spark.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:52 PM   #149
Jonnyclueless
Philosopher

Can I ask why you neglected to mention that once the plane was used as part of an explosives dog training exorcise a month before the accident? Or how it had been used in the Gulf to transport troops who carried explosives? How about the reason you left out that NASA determined the substance was consistent with the material used for adhesives used to make the seats?

Those things don't require a damage pattern consistent with a missile strike like yours does. The NTSB does not cherry pick like you are doing or hope that most people won't notice all of the very important details you intentionally leave out.
Jonnyclueless is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:33 AM   #150
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jonnyclueless View Post
Can I ask why you neglected to mention that once the plane was used as part of an explosives dog training exorcise a month before the accident? Or how it had been used in the Gulf to transport troops who carried explosives? How about the reason you left out that NASA determined the substance was consistent with the material used for adhesives used to make the seats?

Those things don't require a damage pattern consistent with a missile strike like yours does. The NTSB does not cherry pick like you are doing or hope that most people won't notice all of the very important details you intentionally leave out.
They said in one of the documentaries that chemical traces were found that matched both explosives and fuel for a missile. If that claim is correct, then that's pretty interesting. IF the claim is correct, that is. I shall see if I can find the documentary.
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:30 AM   #151
Dcdrac
Philosopher

usual standard anders fluff techniques, ifs maybes you tube videos and no real substance
Old 23rd June 2013, 03:04 AM   #152
HotRodDeluxe
Muse

They said in one of the documentaries that chemical traces were found that matched both explosives and fuel for a missile. If that claim is correct, then that's pretty interesting. IF the claim is correct, that is. I shall see if I can find the documentary.
Yes, there were traces of pre-detonation explosives on some cloth IIRC. This was attributed to a dog-sniffing exercise conducted some weeks earlier. No trace of post-detonation material was found, nor did the bodies show any trace of explosive detonation.

Beachnut kindly provided the following link. Click on the PDF symbol for the report. It is advisable to read the report before watching boobtoob fantasies.

ETA: Missed the post above by JohnnyClueless.

Last edited by HotRodDeluxe; 23rd June 2013 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Not paying attention while changing a vacuum cleaner bag.
HotRodDeluxe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2013, 03:09 AM   #153
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

usual standard anders fluff techniques, ifs maybes you tube videos and no real substance
This time I'm much more uncertain. It may be a coverup but the official version could be true too. Very puzzling.
Old 23rd June 2013, 03:14 AM   #154
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HotRodDeluxe View Post
Yes, there were traces of pre-detonation explosives on some cloth IIRC. This was attributed to a dog-sniffing exercise conducted some weeks earlier. No trace of post-detonation material was found, nor did the bodies show any trace of explosive detonation.

Beachnut kindly provided the following link. Click on the PDF symbol for the report. It is advisable to read the report before watching boobtoob fantasies.

ETA: Missed the post above by JohnnyClueless.
Yes, I have seen that. But the document doesn't specifically mention that it was pre-detonation explosives. Or have I missed something?

Actually a very fuzzy description about several types of explosives and some vague reference to a bomb sniffing exercise. Doesn't sound really conclusive.
Old 23rd June 2013, 05:23 AM   #155
HotRodDeluxe
Muse

Yes, I have seen that. But the document doesn't specifically mention that it was pre-detonation explosives. Or have I missed something?

Actually a very fuzzy description about several types of explosives and some vague reference to a bomb sniffing exercise. Doesn't sound really conclusive.
Yes, you have missed something and it's quite obvious. Think on it for a while.

Meanwhile, try this for all your TWA 800 needs:

http://www.100megspopup.com/ark/Rebu...Theorists.html

Last edited by HotRodDeluxe; 23rd June 2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Postcript to the Addenum's Bibliography
HotRodDeluxe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2013, 06:40 AM   #156
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

My boss is something of a soft-core conspiracy theorist. I generally ignore his comments, because I know that sometimes he makes them just to try to wind me up. One CT that he's firmly convinced of, however, is that TWA 800 was shot down by a missile, because he was at an Air Force base in the Northeast at the time, and he claims to have actually heard someone say over the radio, "We just shot down a civilian airliner!!"

I've considered trying to explain to him that, granting for the sake of argument that he heard correctly, and that the source was actually an Air Force pilot, that the man could simply have jumped to an unjustified conclusion based on his observations, but I know there's little point.
Old 23rd June 2013, 07:08 AM   #157
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HotRodDeluxe View Post
Yes, you have missed something and it's quite obvious. Think on it for a while.

Meanwhile, try this for all your TWA 800 needs:

http://www.100megspopup.com/ark/Rebu...Theorists.html
From the webpage: "1) For the missile to be seen, it would need to be an SM-2 or larger. Therefore, it wasn't a terrorist."

It was darkening outside, and surely even the engine of a small missile would have been visible. Some witnesses even described it as fireworks going up towards the plane.

"2) Standards require large launching platforms."

No, some people talk about a small fast-going boat leaving the area directly after the incident. Say a Stinger missile could easily have been fired from a small boat.

"3) Of all the people who saw the streak, none saw the launch. This is strange, given that launch pyrotechnics are much brighter than the engine exhaust. Assuming an over-the-horizon shot means that the missile would be in coast and therefore not visible."

From that far away, the launch would not have been significantly brighter than the rest of the travel path for the missile. See for example: FIM-92 Stinger Surface-to-Air Live Fire Exercise -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2BzaXF6lg

"4) 98% of the plane was recovered. How could the NTSB, made up in large part of civilians (some of whom would *love* to prove that it was a missile) hide the shrapnel damage? Please do not use Goddard/Rivero's entry and exit wounds unless you want to discuss the splaying of sheet metal in a semi-monocoque structure with an ex-aerospace engineer. I'll win that debate. Hell, I have pictures of gunshot holes that bend toward* the shooter."

The missile hit one of the wings according to the new documentary. Sure, some shrapnel damage would still be found and I think it was in this video (about the new documentary) they talk about holes after such damage: Did U.S. Gov't Lie About TWA Flight 800? Ex-Investigators Seek Probe as New Evidence Emerges. 2 of 2 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAkIdb-DUYQ

"5) Speaking of people, thousands would be involved. This would include the ships crew that would know they fired a missile off Long Island right when a plane was downed. How do you keep them quiet? Add to this the civilians who are involved (contractors, etc.) and the incredible paper trail that follows every missile. A hefty number of sailors who were in the service in 1996 have left it. How do you silence them?"

If it was one of the wings that was hit and disintegrated mostly, then hiding the shrapnel damage would be easy, so only a few people would be in on it so to speak. Sure, thousands of people higher up in the chain of command would probably know about it, but they keep quiet because of national security.

"6) Why shoot missiles off of Long Island when proper airspace is available (and no, the warning zone was not hot until after the crash, regardless of what Jim "What, Me Add?" Sanders says)?"

A smaller missile would have limited reach, and launching from a boat is then a possibility since that would reduce the risk of getting caught right in the action so to speak, while operating and preparing the missile equipment.
Old 23rd June 2013, 07:12 AM   #158
pteridine
Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Snicker.

Read the Conclusions in that report. I have no idea what you think Figure 7 proves but it certainly does not support your case.

No missile damage: http://twa800.com/exhibits/missileanalysis.pdf
Gordo,
Snicker? I have not made a case. I never studied the wreckage. I don't know if any evidence was suppressed. I don't know what witnesses testified and who was ignored. I explained to Horatius that something bigger than a Stinger was likely necessary for a shootdown and why some people wanted a reinvestigation. I explained about the expanding rod warhead and provided a link. I provided a link to a report from those who have "done the math." Figure 7 shows limits of flammability of Jet A. I said that the spark was far fetched but never said that it couldn't happen.
Your link is an examination of the possibility that a MANPAD shot down the plane. It looked specifically for high velocity penetrations of >4000 fps. An expanding rod warhead is limited to velocities on the order of 3000 fps to keep it intact until it reaches its design radius, so the report does not address this possibility. Read the executive summary for recommendations and limitations.
pteridine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2013, 07:13 AM   #159
Jonnyclueless
Philosopher

I love how all of the witnesses who reported seeing a streak said they heard an explosions, looked up and then saw a streak in the sky.

I would like to know more about these missiles that detonate their targets before they are launched. Is this what the term magic missile refers to?
Jonnyclueless is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2013, 07:46 AM   #160
pteridine
Thinker

After 20 years in the US submarine service, I am absolutely sure.
You can be as sure as you want on a trackable public forum. We are just now seeing such in the public press and the various weapons expositions. A while back, the Russians had SA-19's on a few Kilo's but these are small missiles and may have needed a sailor on the sail to shoot.

Skimmer
pteridine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories