IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars

Old 18th January 2023, 09:17 AM   #1401
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Darn... one got away....

A Connecticut judge...ruled that a Texas lawyer for conspiracy theorist Alex Jones committed misconduct but will not be disciplined in connection with the improper disclosure of confidential medical records of relatives of Sandy Hook school shooting victims. Attorney Andino Reynal...failed to safeguard the sensitive information...Judge Barbara Bellis wrote in her decision.
Pattis’ office gave the confidential records to Jones’ bankruptcy lawyer in Texas, Kyung Lee. Lee later gave the documents to Reynal, who gave them to the Sandy Hook families’ lawyer in the Texas trial. Reynal said in court filings that the improper disclosure was inadvertent, and he did not know the records...were subject to a confidentiality order.

Hopefully Pattis won't be let off the hook so easily.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2023, 10:05 AM   #1402
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I expect Pattis is still planning to appeal his suspension. But I doubt that will succeed.

Reynal seems less culpable by reason of Pattis having initially mishandled the discovery. Pattis should have informed Reynal that the materials he sent Reynal were privileged. But it was nevertheless Reynal's responsibility to review the materials for privilege before he sent them to opposing counsel, regardless of anyone else's prior error.

The judge seems to have found that Reynal handled the clawback request improperly, but I can't speak to how it should have been handled instead. That would be a Texas evidentiary rule, and I'm certainly not a Texas lawyer. It seems Reynal referred the matter to Pattis in order to receive an authoritative answer on the privilege question, but the clock ran out.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 06:12 PM   #1403
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

This is on the rich side, but it's irresistible. The SPLC got hold of a whole bunch of Alex Jones' text messages. No real big surprises here, but he did apparently have a PI investigating his wife for possible infidelity, while (of course) he was getting a little on the side from a married woman.

Lots in there about his drinking, including econ nutbar Max Keiser telling Alex to go to AA, and Alex's frequent requests for vodka in the AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2023, 01:48 PM   #1404
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
This is on the rich side, but it's irresistible. The SPLC got hold of a whole bunch of Alex Jones' text messages. No real big surprises here, but he did apparently have a PI investigating his wife for possible infidelity, while (of course) he was getting a little on the side from a married woman.

Lots in there about his drinking, including econ nutbar Max Keiser telling Alex to go to AA, and Alex's frequent requests for vodka in the AM.
The Young Turks has a video on this.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Don't watch unless you have the ability to wash your brain afterwards.

One very sick person. Going for the tittle as the World's Biggest Hippocratic.
Old 5th February 2023, 03:49 PM   #1405
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Jones is the amoeba that causes the constant amoebic dysentery that pours out of the ********** that is MAGA.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2023, 12:14 AM   #1406
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64644080

Quote:
Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has filed for bankruptcy but has nearly $10m (£8.3m) in assets and spends almost $100,000 (£83,000) a month, according to court filings.

He owes almost $1.5bn in court-awarded damages to relatives of victims in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting.

Details of his finances were laid bare this week in documents filed with a Texas bankruptcy court.

In previous court filings, he declared assets in a range between $1m and $10m.

The Infowars founder declared bankruptcy last year, and the latest documents include voluminous detail about his possessions, debts, outgoings and legal issues.
Old 17th February 2023, 01:33 PM   #1407
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Jones is the amoeba that causes the constant amoebic dysentery that pours out of the ********** that is MAGA.
Jones has been spouting his crap a long time before Donnie Dum Dum came along.
For a while, right after 9/11, he was actually getting some support from the 9/11 Truthers who were on the wacky end of the left .

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2023, 10:12 AM   #1408
dann
Penultimate Amazing

InfoWars has discovered the community of Targeted Individuals who think that they are being gang stalked and/or exposed to 'Havana Syndrome' mind-altering weapons, except that it happens in the USA instead of Cuba.
I mentioned it in the 'syndrome' thread.

Posing as a victim of persecution will get him a lot of sympathy from these people.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2023, 01:43 PM   #1409
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
InfoWars has discovered the community of Targeted Individuals who think that they are being gang stalked and/or exposed to 'Havana Syndrome' mind-altering weapons, except that it happens in the USA instead of Cuba.
I mentioned it in the 'syndrome' thread.

Posing as a victim of persecution will get him a lot of sympathy from these people.
But not nearly enough money to pay any of his outstanding 1.5 billion dollar debt.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2023, 10:21 AM   #1410
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Multiple news outlets are reporting that Jones is transferring money and high-value assets to family and friends, ostensibly in an effort to shield those assets from the effects of judgment.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2023, 10:48 AM   #1411
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Multiple news outlets are reporting that Jones is transferring money and high-value assets to family and friends, ostensibly in an effort to shield those assets from the effects of judgment.
Hasn't that been happening for months now?
Old 20th March 2023, 11:00 AM   #1412
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hasn't that been happening for months now?
Yes, but it seems to be getting more traction in the media recently. He filed bankruptcy long ago, but punitive judgments are not sheltered in bankrupty; they're fair game.

As I mentioned, I'm part owner in the bar that's closest to our university's law school. I think I'll float for discussion tonight the notion of how it's so very easy for the rich to shelter assets from punitive judgment and how that creates a judgment-proof segment of our society.
Old 20th March 2023, 11:45 PM   #1413
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Would have thought it would be easy for someone to see transfers of money going to relatives and then tell these relatives to pay that money back.
Old 20th March 2023, 11:54 PM   #1414
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Clear sign that Jones values money over freedom - bankruptcy fraud is something that regularly does end with prison time.
Old 21st March 2023, 02:03 AM   #1415
SteveAitch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Clear sign that Jones values money over freedom - bankruptcy fraud is something that regularly does end with prison time.
Can they get the recipients for conspiracy to defraud, or something similar?

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2023, 07:18 AM   #1416
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Can they get the recipients for conspiracy to defraud, or something similar?
the way to do it is to write them a letter asking them to reveal any money they got from Jones since he declared bankruptcy.

If they think you don't know they have received some, they won't report. But if you have evidence that they did and they don't tell, yes, they too can be convicted of fraud.
Old 21st March 2023, 07:50 AM   #1417
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
the way to do it is to write them a letter asking them to reveal any money they got from Jones since he declared bankruptcy.
Or even shortly before. Transferring assets and then declaring bankruptcy on the remainder is still bankruptcy fraud.
Old 27th March 2023, 12:13 PM   #1418
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Jones thinks "They" are going to kill Trump...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...8e9d4f32&ei=11
Old 27th March 2023, 06:13 PM   #1419
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Jones thinks "They" are going to kill Trump...
...with hamberders!
Old 27th March 2023, 06:27 PM   #1420
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
...with hamberders!
Naw, pelt him with tomatoes. He has a thing about splattering ketchup anyway.
Old 28th March 2023, 03:27 PM   #1421
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That won't work. Jones is getting desperate.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2023, 03:32 PM   #1422
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that's what Trump does. And he gets away with it!
Old 28th March 2023, 04:37 PM   #1423
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that's what Trump does. And he gets away with it!
I despise Trump, but I don't think he has resorted to the specific legal tactic that Jones is using.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th March 2023, 05:00 PM   #1424
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
...the specific legal tactic that Jones is using.
Illegal.
Old 28th March 2023, 05:52 PM   #1425
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Illegal.
"Unlawful."

"Legal" can mean both "lawful" and "of or pertaining to the law." It's quite correct to say, "His legal tactic is unlawful."
Old 28th March 2023, 06:35 PM   #1426
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I despise Trump, but I don't think he has resorted to the specific legal tactic that Jones is using.
It was how he bankrupted his casinos and walked away from the smoking wreckage. It has been a pretty typical business tactic to divest problematic companies on someone else to avoid blame, done not just by Trump.
Old 29th March 2023, 01:04 AM   #1427
junkshop
Graduate Poster

"Unlawful."

"Legal" can mean both "lawful" and "of or pertaining to the law." It's quite correct to say, "His legal tactic is unlawful."
I stand corrected.
Old 29th March 2023, 06:46 AM   #1428
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
I stand corrected.
Meh, it's what it is. I hang out with too many lawyers and law professors.
Old 29th March 2023, 02:19 PM   #1429
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

It was how he bankrupted his casinos and walked away from the smoking wreckage. It has been a pretty typical business tactic to divest problematic companies on someone else to avoid blame, done not just by Trump.
Yes, but he didn't do it by hiding assets. He just left others holding the bag. This is a different game Jones is playing.

And I'm sure bankruptcy judges love it when people pull stunts like this.
Old 29th March 2023, 03:24 PM   #1430
MBDK
Muse

Meh, it's what it is. I hang out with too many lawyers and law professors.

NOW, you have my sympathy. The sacrifices you make in pursuit of knowledge.

MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2023, 04:19 PM   #1431
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Yes, but he didn't do it by hiding assets. He just left others holding the bag. This is a different game Jones is playing.

A legal podcast I listened to (I think it was Ken White) said that bankruptcy law is designed to deal with exactly such stunts.
Old 30th March 2023, 01:24 AM   #1432
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Same same. Not really hiding. It's divesting oneself of the liabilities, or at least trying to. Jones isn't even trying to hide it if we know about it here on this obscure forum.

Quote:
Makes their job easier, I imagine.
Old 30th March 2023, 05:12 AM   #1433
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Same same. Not really hiding. It's divesting oneself of the liabilities, or at least trying to. Jones isn't even trying to hide it if we know about it here on this obscure forum.
This assumes a level of competence in Jones that you would be hard pressed to document.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2023, 05:45 AM   #1434
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
This assumes a level of competence in Jones that you would be hard pressed to document.
Dumb AF.

Whatever he is paying his financial and legal advisors, it's too much. They know it, Jones doesn't.
Old 30th March 2023, 09:57 AM   #1435
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Dumb AF.

Whatever he is paying his financial and legal advisors, it's too much. They know it, Jones doesn't.
I don't know, they have to deal with Jones as a client, he goes on air during a trial calling the judge a goblin.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2023, 10:15 AM   #1436
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, "client control" is a mark of professionalism among attorneys. I've been rebuked by attorneys representing me for even innocent breaches of decorum or etiquette. When the client goes on the air or on social media excoriating the judge in his case and calling her names, this does reflect very badly on the attorney. So then yeah, only the most desperate lawyers—if any—are going to sign up for that.

But Jones seems to consistently fail upwards. He lost his cases in the stupidest way possible. But his followers still believe he's been railroaded by an unfair and biased judicial system that muzzled him and wouldn't let him defend himself. Among those same followers he's likely to enjoy the belief that his attempts to hide his righteous and wholesome wealth from the vultures feeding off him is just another miscarriage of justice. None of the people who still support him really seem to understand just how laws and courts work. So Jones can just tell them any old thing he likes and they'll still send him money.
Old 1st April 2023, 02:38 PM   #1437
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I don't know, they have to deal with Jones as a client, he goes on air during a trial calling the judge a goblin.
Indeed, "client control" is a mark of professionalism among attorneys. I've been rebuked by attorneys representing me for even innocent breaches of decorum or etiquette. When the client goes on the air or on social media excoriating the judge in his case and calling her names, this does reflect very badly on the attorney. So then yeah, only the most desperate lawyers—if any—are going to sign up for that.

But Jones seems to consistently fail upwards. He lost his cases in the stupidest way possible. But his followers still believe he's been railroaded by an unfair and biased judicial system that muzzled him and wouldn't let him defend himself. Among those same followers he's likely to enjoy the belief that his attempts to hide his righteous and wholesome wealth from the vultures feeding off him is just another miscarriage of justice. None of the people who still support him really seem to understand just how laws and courts work. So Jones can just tell them any old thing he likes and they'll still send him money.
You are assuming they are trying to win it for him and not just bilking a guaranteed loser.
Old 5th May 2023, 06:33 AM   #1438
eerok
Quixoticist

Alex Jones haz big mad.

Fuming Alex Jones Calls for Tucker Carlson Prankster to Be Arrested (thedailybeast)
Quote:
Far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones fumed on his Thursday program over Canadian prankster Chris James duping him into believing that he was speaking with former Fox News host Tucker Carlson.
Quote:
“Tucker Carlson’s lawyers are involved, and what you did, we believe is a crime, so even though you think you are safe up in Canada, you are going to get arrested for what you did yesterday. So keep laughing, you little arrogant person.”
Old 5th May 2023, 06:35 AM   #1439
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Grifter gets grifted.
Old 5th May 2023, 06:47 AM   #1440
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Exactly what crime was committed?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories